all this talk about battery mangement, limited markets...blah blah blah. even if i had to carry 5 extra batteries around and could only use the phone in my hometown, it would be worth it to be grandfathered in for the unlimited 4G mobile hotspot.

at some point, they may try to change it. but for now, as long as i stay with a 4G phone, i can upgrade all i want and keep unlimed 4G lte data on the phone and hotspot. and i get 5 upgrades every 2 years.

it's a great deal that is no longer available. its no wonder so many people are envious. when they do switch to 4G, they will pay a lot more for the hotspot.

and that is why so many people jumped ship just before vzn went to tiered data...on both phones and mobile hotspots.
    07-16-11 09:00 PM
    Please explain to me the cost of 4G vs the benefits.

In Canada, HSPA+ is available in many urban areas. The carriers, here, are famous for over promising / under delivering and using misleading advertising in the true cost of services. I believe Bell was fined recently for the latter.

When HSPA+ usb sticks first came out, Rogers was claiming 21 Mbps throughput, in real tests, it was 6 Mbps.

Rogers HSPA+ Rocket Stick speed tests | MobileSyrup.com

From what I have read, many US customers whom jumped onto 4G phones are not receiving what was promised by the carrier sales rep.

No doubt service will improve as the technology matures.

all this talk about battery mangement, limited markets...blah blah blah. even if i had to carry 5 extra batteries around and could only use the phone in my hometown, it would be worth it to be grandfathered in for the unlimited 4G mobile hotspot.

at some point, they may try to change it. but for now, as long as i stay with a 4G phone, i can upgrade all i want and keep unlimed 4G lte data on the phone and hotspot. and i get 5 upgrades every 2 years.

it's a great deal that is no longer available. its no wonder so many people are envious. when they do switch to 4G, they will pay a lot more for the hotspot.

and that is why so many people jumped ship just before vzn went to tiered data...on both phones and mobile hotspots.
    07-16-11 10:40 PM
    i get about 10 to 16 mbps up and 5 to 6 down. it's $30 a month for the unlimted 4G lte mobile hotspot. it's faster than my home network at half the cost.

but the unlimited option is gone now. it was only for the early adopters.

Please explain to me the cost of 4G vs the benefits.

In Canada, HSPA+ is available in many urban areas. The carriers, here, are famous for over promising / under delivering and using misleading advertising in the true cost of services. I believe Bell was fined recently for the latter.

When HSPA+ usb sticks first came out, Rogers was claiming 21 Mbps throughput, in real tests, it was 6 Mbps.

Rogers HSPA+ Rocket Stick speed tests | MobileSyrup.com

From what I have read, many US customers whom jumped onto 4G phones are not receiving what was promised by the carrier sales rep.

No doubt service will improve as the technology matures.
    07-16-11 11:03 PM
    So $30 was a teaser rate. Are you lucky enough to be grandfathered for being an early adopter?

It appears Verizon is no different from Canadian carriers:

Verizon manipulates 4G users into more expensive plan | TG Daily

i get about 10 to 16 mbps up and 5 to 6 down. it's $30 a month for the unlimted 4G lte mobile hotspot. it's faster than my home network at half the cost.

but the unlimited option is gone now. it was only for the early adopters.
    07-16-11 11:21 PM
    its no wonder so many people are envious.
    You really have a bit of an ego don't you?

We are happy for you that you got your LTE data plan and hot spot. Good for you, honestly.

Such features just don't interest some of us. Not because we don't understand, not because we are stupid. For some of us who don't use tons of data, and don't stream HD video it just isn't necessary yet. And not only that, it just isn't available to all of us.

I know you cannot go without responding to this post, but you really don't need to. We can agree to disagree.
    07-16-11 11:22 PM
    This thread has very much devolved into a ME ME ME ME ME ME ME thread. it is irrelevant as to what good business practices are, or what is smart for RIM's bottom line and protecting their share holders from further decayed investment,
    it is about the sub 7 million people globally that will have access to funds, and abilities to take advantage of 1 of 12 possible LTE spectrums by the end of 2012.

and RIM being late to the game in waiting until late 2012 to release a LTE capable handset to accommodate this small clientele is clearly just another step in there demise.

RIM should make Custom phones for all our needs!! why make them mass produced, I want a my phone with eleventeen LED's!!
    Dapper37 likes this.
    07-17-11 12:01 AM
    Here's another reason:

Verizon 4G LTE Devices Not Compatible with AT&T’s 4G LTE Network - SlashGear

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-11 04:08 AM
    and you think i am the one with an ego. yet, you are the one name calling. sad.

You really have a bit of an ego don't you?

I know you cannot go without responding to this post, but you really don't need to. We can agree to disagree.
    07-17-11 07:44 AM
    what drab. either rim can't compete, or the android people are idiots. and half a million new activations a day is nothing to sneeze at. enjoy your coolaide.

i simply asked if there were any rumors about when vzn would get a 4G lte phone....and bam....out come the haters. and why are most of them from outside america? don't answer. it was a rhetorical question.

protecting their shareholders? you mean the new ones that are waiting to jump in when it bottoms out?

i do think rim will bounce back strong, but it isn't going to be in 2012.

kevin seems to think google will eventually buy rim. wonder how that will effect future BB's?

This thread has very much devolved into a ME ME ME ME ME ME ME thread. it is irrelevant as to what good business practices are, or what is smart for RIM's bottom line and protecting their share holders from further decayed investment,
    it is about the sub 7 million people globally that will have access to funds, and abilities to take advantage of 1 of 12 possible LTE spectrums by the end of 2012.

and RIM being late to the game in waiting until late 2012 to release a LTE capable handset to accommodate this small clientele is clearly just another step in there demise.

RIM should make Custom phones for all our needs!! why make them mass produced, I want a my phone with eleventeen LED's!!
    07-17-11 08:07 AM
    no it was an introductory rate. and yes, it is granfathered in on the phone and mobile hotspot. that is what i have been saying all along. many people jumped from rim last week when vzn went to tiered just to lock in the hotspot and 4G lte..

the early adpters get $30 for unlimed 4G access on the phone and $30 for unlimted hotspot.

and you can update as long as you don't change your plan and it is another 4G device.

So $30 was a teaser rate. Are you lucky enough to be grandfathered for being an early adopter?

It appears Verizon is no different from Canadian carriers:

Verizon manipulates 4G users into more expensive plan | TG Daily
    07-17-11 08:13 AM
    what drab. either rim can't compete, or the android people are idiots. and half a million new activations a day is nothing to sneeze at. enjoy your coolaide.

i simply asked if there were any rumors about when vzn would get a 4G lte phone....and bam....out come the haters. and why are most of them from outside america? don't answer. it was a rhetorical question.

protecting their shareholders? you mean the new ones that are waiting to jump in when it bottoms out?

i do think rim will bounce back strong, but it isn't going to be in 2012.

kevin seems to think google will eventually buy rim. wonder how that will effect future BB's?
    FIRST

See my FIRST post to your thread
    4G BB will Probably be end of 2012, early 2013, due to when expected production of single chip solutions for LTE and HSPA are available

No hate, and an explanation to the rumoured time frame!
    you couldn't accept that.

Verizon has a TOTAL of approximately 600,000 4G subrsibers, 550,000 per day, MOST are on 3G so take your head out of where it is sitting and use facts accordingly,

As for Protecting their shareholders, there still are many of them, and you don't abandon ship because of a leak, you work to repair the leak, by over extending themselves with niche products they are NOT repairing the leak,
    The Playbook was very much a test bed for new technology, it doesn't detract from their key services and thus they can use it to test things like NEW OS, New Chipsets (4GLTE!) (4G WiMax) etc. it will not compromise the brand if it does not work well.

as for the Google Buy out, I really don't think it will happen,
    3 Reasons,
    Majority stake is held by a few key people
    Canadian regulators could step in, which would cost Google a lot of money just to have the deal killed
    Google has little to leverage from Blackberry except for Hardware manufacturing, and a patent portfolio, before RIM was sold off, I am sure they would be selling their patent portfolio back into the consortium to prevent google from getting it.

I'm sure this post has fallen on blind eyes though as logic eludes he to whom I am replying.
    07-17-11 08:15 AM
    Moderator, please close this thread. It's devolving into a pissing match between A-type personalities.

What's has needed to be stated about 4G & BB has transpired. Time for lock down.
    07-17-11 09:51 AM
    This is the most redundant thread ever. OP, you've stated your case plenty clear. Plain and simple, it makes absolutely no business sense for RIM to make a 4G phone at the moment. I have friends on 4G phones. I never hear from them but once a blue moon. Why? Because an IM drains their battery too much. Did they play the song/video I sent them? No, it would drain their battery too much.

dR, thanks for your patience, and that of many others.

Thread over and out
    07-17-11 10:35 AM
113 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD