Thanks for your help in advance!

Let me explain the issue, whenever I drop my BlackBerry (just a LITTLE, like a three foot drop onto a carpet), the screen will turn off and a red light appears steady on the LED indicator. Then it will usually come back on, so it's not a full reset.

One other small issue, yesterday I was holding the phone in my hand and the screen suddenly went black and it came back in about 15 seconds, with half battery life. Then it went back to full battery (where it should be, I just charged it). Any ideas what these two problems mean? Could I tape the battery down or something?

Thanks!
    Paul
    07-26-08 12:49 PM
    Thanks for your help in advance!

Let me explain the issue, whenever I drop my BlackBerry (just a LITTLE, like a three foot drop onto a carpet), the screen will turn off and a red light appears steady on the LED indicator. Then it will usually come back on, so it's not a full reset.

One other small issue, yesterday I was holding the phone in my hand and the screen suddenly went black and it came back in about 15 seconds, with half battery life. Then it went back to full battery (where it should be, I just charged it). Any ideas what these two problems mean? Could I tape the battery down or something?

Thanks!
    Paul
    Are you using any aftermarket batteries? or are you using true OEM batteries from RIM? I know I had a problem very similar on my old phone with an aftermarket battery.
    07-26-08 12:52 PM
    I just wonder if the battery is getting a good connection.
    07-26-08 12:53 PM
    I keep mine in an otterbox so if I drop it its protected.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-08 12:54 PM
    Are you using any aftermarket batteries? or are you using true OEM batteries from RIM? I know I had a problem very similar on my old phone with an aftermarket battery.
    I got the phone off eBay. It is a RIM one, but, it could be refurbished. Could the shape have changed on the battery?
    07-26-08 12:54 PM
    I think you need to be more careful and not drop your BB because problems like this do happen when you drop it. The main solution is to not drop it and you make it sound like it happens a lot. Just be more careful cause dropping it could knock something loose on the inside
    07-26-08 12:55 PM
    I just wonder if the battery is getting a good connection.
    Excuse me, but what do you mean by that? Do I need to clean the prong-type things?

Paul
    07-26-08 12:55 PM
    Why in BB heavens name would you be Dropping your BB in the first place?
    You just got the whole idea of ABUSING your BB wrong!
    Apparently, after so much physical abuse, something is broken inside your BB.
    Lets hope you have Insurance on the phone, or have it for less than a year.
    07-26-08 12:56 PM
    Why in BB heavens name would you be Dropping your BB in the first place?
    You just got the whole idea of ABUSING your BB wrong!
    Apparently, after so much physical abuse, something is broken inside your BB.
    Lets hope you have Insurance on the phone, or have it for less than a year.
    Abusing? Me? No way. I'm just saying that it happens a bit.

Paul
    07-26-08 12:57 PM
    I got the phone off eBay. It is a RIM one, but, it could be refurbished. Could the shape have changed on the battery?
    I think you need to be more careful and not drop your BB because problems like this do happen when you drop it. The main solution is to not drop it and you make it sound like it happens a lot. Just be more careful cause dropping it could knock something loose on the inside
    I agree with ballin however, dropping a phone is inevitable.....its going to happen once and awhile.....I could see if he dropped it on a hardwood or tile flooring....but he says it happens if he drops it on carpet.....sounds like you might have a bad battery since you bought it off of ebay. The connections on the battery might be worn, so when you drop it...the slightest vibration from hitting the floor might be enough to stop the connection going to the phone. The Crackberry store offers RIM batteries at the best price I've ever seen...Try one, and see if that helps..
    07-26-08 01:00 PM
    I would suggest cleaning the gold contacts on the battery, and the phone itself. It sounds like there may be something thats making the connection incomplete, and a light jostle causes the contacts to break from one another. Give it a good cleaning and see if it improves.

Q-Tips and alcohol seem to work great for me..
    07-26-08 01:02 PM
    I agree with ballin however, dropping a phone is inevitable.....its going to happen once and awhile.....I could see if he dropped it on a hardwood or tile flooring....but he says it happens if he drops it on carpet.....sounds like you might have a bad battery since you bought it off of ebay. The connections on the battery might be worn, so when you drop it...the slightest vibration from hitting the floor might be enough to stop the connection going to the phone. The Crackberry store offers RIM batteries at the best price I've ever seen...Try one, and see if that helps..
    Okay, thank you. Does anyone know if it doesn't fix the problem, if I can ship the battery back? My battery now holds a great charge.
    07-26-08 01:02 PM
    Paul, a Cell phone have it's electrical components surface mounted on a VERY THIN board, excessive dropping ( dropping a phone from 3 feet frequently is EXCESSIVE ) will damage the phone or break any one of the solder joints that connects any one components.
    I still think you got this ABUSER thing wrong!
    07-26-08 01:04 PM
    Paul, stop dropping it. Drops of any kind, no matter how close/far away isnt going to do you any good. I hope you dont think dropping as you've described is normal.
    07-26-08 01:06 PM
    Wait a minute, CrackBlack, here me out please.

It is kept in a case from Swiss Mobility. It has a case that protects all areas of my BB.

Paul
    07-26-08 01:07 PM
    He just makes it sound like it's a normal thing which it definitely shouldn't be
    07-26-08 01:09 PM
    He just makes it sound like it's a normal thing which it definitely shouldn't be
    All I'm saying is a VERY LIGHT drop, and yet it still happens. I will try cleaning out the contacts.
    07-26-08 01:11 PM
    Paul, stop dropping it. Drops of any kind, no matter how close/far away isnt going to do you any good. I hope you dont think dropping as you've described is normal.
    Thanks ScandaLeX!
    Paul, it doesn't matter if you got in protective cases, or not. Dropping it, even on the carpet, will transfer SHOCK to the inside of the phone. This kind of repeated Shock, will eventually break something, namely one of the solder joints inside of the phone.
    PS. Football players do wear protective head gears, yet they from time to time gets Concussion.
    07-26-08 01:15 PM
    Wait a minute, CrackBlack, here me out please.

It is kept in a case from Swiss Mobility. It has a case that protects all areas of my BB.

Paul
    Doesn't protect it from the CONCUSSION effect of hitting the ground/carpet/ or whatever else it's drop onto.
    07-26-08 01:18 PM
    Okay, thanks for all of your help! I will work on not dropping it.

Paul

07-26-08 01:19 PM
    I'm sorry, but this thread makes me laugh.....
    reminds me of when I was a kid and I told my dad "Dad, it hurts when I do this." His response was "Well, then dont do that"

Seems like that advice can be passed on to you. lol
    Probably not the best idea to allow it to drop at any time.
    07-26-08 01:22 PM
    Hmmm, can't see the phone model since I am on WAP right now, but, on my previous 7105t I had this exact same issues. I opened the phone up (for other purposes, I want work to give me a new phone.....) And took everything apart, then put it back together. What I noticed was that there were 4 torx screws holding the battery frame to the main board. I think the contacts were either slightly out of line or the board was loose. When I put it back together carfully and made sure the screws were snug and the contacts lined up, never had the issue again.

07-26-08 01:24 PM
    Unfortunately, if you purchase you BB off eBay, then you just may be SOL somehow I've just got this weird feeling that you may have a crack (no pun intended) on the mother board, hence when any sort of pressure or slight force is exerted on the phone, it resets itself.
    07-26-08 01:24 PM
    Unfortunately, if you purchase you BB off eBay, then you just may be SOL somehow I've just got this weird feeling that you may have a crack (no pun intended) on the mother board, hence when any sort of pressure or slight force is exerted on the phone, it resets itself.
    The phone works perfectly otherwise. The phone does have to be dropped, though, for it to be reset.
    07-26-08 05:02 PM
    Stop dropping your BB!
    07-26-08 05:19 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD