Anybody kno or heard when the Z10 is going to get the dark theme?

White BlackBerry z10
    05-07-13 11:25 AM
    Dark theme would be awesome to get on there. I dont think its been in the 10.1 leaks but it should show up soon hopefully
    05-07-13 11:34 AM
    I thought I read in one of the CB Q10 reviews that the Z wouldn't be getting the dark theme.

Don't get me wrong � I'd love to have that option. I just don't expect we'll see it.
    fflavoie likes this.
    05-07-13 01:32 PM
    i think they stated "the q10 would be the first" but the z10 might get it later. I know its because of the screen differences but still atleast make it an option
    05-07-13 01:39 PM
    Thanks! I'd really like the option. Aside from just being easier to read in dim light, I'd like it just for the LCF!
    05-07-13 01:50 PM
    Dark theme helps with amoled screens and saving battery. When it displays black it doesn't need to turn on the pixels. On a z10 it would be useless...unless you just want it to look like that.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 01:56 PM
    Dark theme helps with amoled screens and saving battery. When it displays black it doesn't need to turn on the pixels. On a z10 it would be useless...unless you just want it to look like that.

Posted via CB10
    Although OLED displays benefit more from black themes in terms of power savings, LCDs also use a little less power when showing just black. It's not as substantial as OLEDs but there's still a small benefit.

Plus it looks cool.
    05-07-13 01:58 PM
    The darker theme is also easier for aging eyes, or those with poor reading vision. (Yes, I'm one of those.)
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-07-13 02:02 PM
    Although OLED displays benefit more from black themes in terms of power savings, LCDs also use a little less power when showing just black. It's not as substantial as OLEDs but there's still a small benefit.

Plus it looks cool.
    Someone on xda dev's tested it on a HTC one X and an amoled. On lcd its such a small factor it barely registers a savings in power.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 02:05 PM
    I really don't care bout the battery saving issue I just like the dark theme on my BlackBerry

White BlackBerry z10
    05-07-13 02:23 PM
    I really don't care bout the battery saving issue I just like the dark theme on my BlackBerry

White BlackBerry z10
    Same, I'm a fan of dark themes in general. I always put dark wallpapers on my phones, and when I read on my Kindle app I set it to white text on a black background.
    05-07-13 04:13 PM
    Maybe BlackBerry world will be all the black theme we get. Hope not. Plus we are using Blackberries not Whiteberries

Black Tie Z10
    05-07-13 09:00 PM
    Someone on xda dev's tested it on a HTC one X and an amoled. On lcd its such a small factor it barely registers a savings in power.
    Not all LCDs are created equal, so knowledge gained by testing an "HTC one X" has little or no value in the BlackBerry 10 world. On many LCD screens the effect is even reversed (white uses more power than black), so clearly you can't safely extrapolate from one LCD to another like that.

Try this for some real measurements, showing a 22% saving with all-black over all-white, on the Z10: http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...0/#post8208254 (For comparison, the AMOLED on the Dev Alpha C showed a 59% savings with all-black.)

With real app contents, where the window would have a mix of light and dark pixels, the savings won't be that much, but many people would consider even 10% to be valuable.
    05-08-13 07:48 AM
    Your right. One has a way better lcd panel.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 07:50 AM
    I'd like the dark theme as well. All of my Android devices had it.
    05-08-13 07:54 AM
    Not all LCDs are created equal, so knowledge gained by testing an "HTC one X" has little or no value in the BlackBerry 10 world. On many LCD screens the effect is even reversed (white uses more power than black), so clearly you can't safely extrapolate from one LCD to another like that.

Try this for some real measurements, showing a 22% saving with all-black over all-white, on the Z10: http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...0/#post8208254 (For comparison, the AMOLED on the Dev Alpha C showed a 59% savings with all-black.)

With real app contents, where the window would have a mix of light and dark pixels, the savings won't be that much, but many people would consider even 10% to be valuable.
    This guy knows batteries, he's the "guru" so to speak!
    05-08-13 08:01 AM

We're the screens at the same level if brightness? I can't tell from that other thread.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 08:24 AM
    We're the screens at the same level if brightness? I can't tell from that other thread.
    If the second sentence didn't tell you, I'm not sure what you're asking. It said "Both had the brightness set to 100% for the test." Was that all you meant?

If you meant "were they actually equally bright?" then I would say probably not, since there's no reason to think that 100% on both devices translates into the same actual brightness. They likely have different brightness ranges, and in any case I made no attempt to control for that effect as the point wasn't to compare Q10 with Z10, but rather to compare all-black versus all-white to show that, on a given device, there's a difference.
    05-10-13 03:13 PM
    i hope they give us the option.. it looks so much better
    05-10-13 09:56 PM