When? Yesterday. My 9780 lies idle on the desk waiting to be given away to a friend. My Playbook is going on eBay this afternoon. I picked up a iPhone 4 and a iPad 2 yesterday and can't believe the breath of fresh air they are - no more hard work to get simple things done!
    Curious what simple things you mean..
    05-27-11 07:43 PM
    Curious what simple things you mean..
    See up two posts...
    05-27-11 07:54 PM
    See up two posts...
    Sorry, this android thing is lagging..
    05-27-11 08:05 PM
    Maybe you should check your settings, because when i delete emails on my PC it deletes on my Berry. And BTW, you're spending hours syncing because you have a lot of mail. Purge folders like sent item and deleted items and that will greatly decrease your sync times as well. You need to keep in mind that you aren't just syncing mail. Contacts, calendar entries, appointments, and other apps sync too.
    Thachoc, when I delete and email from my PC, it takes minutes to delete from my Android/Apple phone and several hours (i.e. 1 to 5 hours) to delete from my Berry.

In your experience, how quickly does an email deleted from your PC take to delete on your Berry?

Thanks.
    05-27-11 08:13 PM
    Wish I could say I still like my blackberry torch. I hate the sluggishness and the battery pulls. It take forever for the app store to load on my pc. And when it does load, the apps are p**s poor. In December when I'm due for an upgrade, I'll go back to Iphone or I'll get an Android.
    Yes!!! The lagginess and battery pulls at critical times is torture!!!
    05-27-11 08:14 PM
    I also thought that Android can do things better, switched, and really gave it a chance. But the truth is, there are a few things that no one does as well as rim, and those things happen to be the ones most important to a mobile phone.
    Will rim learn how to do everything else and keep what it already knows? Will others ever do what rim already does? Is such a thing even possible? I Just hope that as the landscape changes, we still have access to someone, whoever it is, that makes communications as simple and intuitive as rim.
    Well said!!!
    05-27-11 08:16 PM
    The iPhone changed the smartphone industry while the iPad created a new one.

RIM's management thought security and a keyboard would remain in vogue forever and openly admitted they were wrong. Yet the Blackberry community still want to ride horses while everyone else has cars.

The "crackberry" fad is over. No new skills needed to operate a iOS driven product. The Post-PC era has begun and RIM is pretending to be a player. At least for the remaining few faithful who still believe the brand can make a comeback.

If Smith-Corona was able to create a new market by making typewriters for prisons, there may be hope yet for RIM.
    LOL!!!! Damn straight dude!!! Prepare for a barrage of insults from the die hards!!!
    05-27-11 08:18 PM
    My blackberry does delete emails when they are removed from my PC inbox...and you have a choice to delete stuff (while on your BB) from JUST the device or from BOTH the device and mailbox

do not get one of those low-end droids. You will likely end up hating it and coming right back here. Getting a high end model, even an old one, will be a much better experience.

I too am kind of frustrated with the slowness of my device. But I do have a 9300 which is akin to getting one of the low-end droids. However, my experience with the 9700 was not all that pleasant either. Ive said before that I am rooting for the 9900 to be a big step forward for RIM and if they can manage to give it battery life similar to the 9700 then it will be very attractive when juxtaposed with an Android device.
    I am aware of this. My frustration is that when deleting an email on my PC it takes up to 5 hours to delete on my Berry. On Android/Apple, the delete on the mobile device is almost real time. I don't think this is asking too much.
    05-27-11 08:20 PM
    Finding my car? What does that even mean?

Anyway, as an initial example, every time I turn on my PB I have to re-do the orientation lock. Then when I start the browser I have to change the display options in the bookmarks from the large picture icon view to a list view (just to be able to see a third of them!). It's not the hardest thing in the world but the damn thing SHOULD remember the settings I choose. Not keep making me use the settings it wants to default to.
    I have this flippin problem on my PB too. I was about to take it back as I thought it was a defect until I read your post.
    05-27-11 08:24 PM
    I'm going to give the 9900 a shot. I hope to god build quality goes back to that of the 9000. I'm tired of tilted trackpads and creaky keys. It literally drives me insane.

If battery life goes, and there is another device that has a keyboard form factor as good as RIM's, then I'm gone. The 9900 will most likely be my last straw with RIM and I hope its worth the money or I'll be sad to leave.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-11 09:14 PM
    I'm using an 8330m and am delighted with it.

05-27-11 09:37 PM
    With each passing day, the Blackberry is becoming less and less relevant. Their strength was mobile email and business customers paid dearly for mobile email synchronization. RIMM made tons of money but in milking this cow, totally missed the consumer market.

Apple and Android came out and offered email synchronization for free. By synchronization, I mean having your mobile email and PC email synchronized.

I used Gmail for my personal account and the synchronization is beautiful, instant and free. Gmail on a blackberry is archaic and a joke. Syncing between my Berry and PC takes hours and is never 100% accurate.

How can a blackberry handle gmail so poorly? Gmail on an ipad or iphone is on par with an Android device.

Android and Apple does apps and web surfing so much better than a blackberry. Their phones also offer wifi hotspot abilities (ie they can act as a wifi router).

It is only a matter of time before management at RIMM drive this company into the ground. Are you going to wait for the ship to sink before jumping off?

I can't see myself buying another blackberry. I enjoy my Android phone way more, every day.

My Android phone has free software that allows me to access any file on my PC. My Android phone has an app that automatically uploads any picture I take to my PC over wifi or the cell network.

Blackberries are archaic. When will you drop this brand of smartphone?
    One of the financial experts said today that blackberry stock should be down graded to not buy and that blackberry management lost there focus and the consumer market. I have had five blackberry's in the last four years and my carrier is going to turn on 4G LTE in my area in November and if rim doesn't have a 4G phone shorty after that i guess i will be moving on.
    05-27-11 10:02 PM
    if you don't like it leave. it's very simple. no one is forcing you to stay... the BB community would be better off without people like you.. we are here cuz we care for our devices.
    come on now don't be to hard on him.
    05-27-11 10:13 PM
    The problem with the people like the OP is that they believe a phone must be all things or it is crap. I really like Android but for what I need my phone for it isn't something that is necessary. I found myself constantly playing with the general look of the phone, switching launchers and effing with widgets, installing ROMs and the like. This took a toll on other things, even things that aren't important. I lost lots of game saves because of switching ROMs, got to the point where I wasn't even playing games on it any more (yes I know you can back them up but they were just games on a phone). In the end I was getting frustrated with short comings of the phones and not enjoying any of its benefits. While BlackBerry has plenty of short comings it also has big advantages for people that like portrait hardware keyboards. I didn't realize just how badly I missed that until I traded my Motorola Droid for a Bold 9650. Couldn't be happier.

Everyone has different likes and dislikes, I work in an industry where this is very prevalent and I still can't understand why people need to bash what others like and call them dumb for their preferences.

Jason
    05-27-11 10:17 PM
    From the OP, that statement about Blackberry becoming less relevant is bogus. There's a bigger world out there than your city, or even the US for that matter. Blackberry is incredibly "relevant" in other countries. All the stuff you rattled down, BB already does, except the wifi hotspot thing which is happens to be on the upcoming devices anyway.
    It is worthy to mention that too that neither iPhone and, rofl, Android have the degree of data security that any Blackberry ships with standard. Been following why the UAE is getting so uptight about Blackberry? Why does Barack Obama carry one instead of the above mentioned phones? Finally, I should point out that a Blackberry smartphone is NOT aimed at video games. It does photos, plays movies, these upcoming devices even have hi-def video recording. As far as I can tell, the only people that can call Blackberry irrelevant are video gamers and those who follow what the mass market has a hard on for, which I would like someone to be able to prove what the primary uses the mass market has with smartphones.

In short, there's nothing I can see that Blackberry is lacking in terms of actual usefulness, except. 4 1/2" screens and Angry Birds, fart machines, and a lot of devices with non-removable batteries.

Their only mistake is having kept themselves outdated on raw hardware specs, and not doing a better job of defining what a Blackberry is really designed for. The iPhone and Android devices came out with a much different target audience and different purpose than what Blackberrys were made for. Its fortunate they decided to take some cues from that market though, because hi-def video recording is a fine feature to have.

Please understand, I'm not interested in attacking you, but you're statement made at the start of this thread is shallow. Understanding Blackberry when you belong in Android or iPhone's world is an exercise in understanding what it actually "outside of the box."

The Blackberry Browser is weak compared to other high end phones.
    Last edited by jerry12; 05-27-11 at 10:26 PM.
    05-27-11 10:22 PM
    Devices and technology finally mature???? Is this RIM-talk for Future proof?

Technology is NEVER going to "mature". Devices are getting more and more powerful. Interfaces are getting more and more intuitive (dumbed down). And functions are becoming more and more integrated with everyday tasks.

BlackBerry's existence filled a void. That void has since been filled and improved on by others.

This is the kind of illogical thinking that RIM's management and their followers are hanging on to. Thank goodness there are millions of others who recognize a dead horse and know when to get off.
    You are simply ignoring what others are saying.. I don't care about a specific manufacturer, or even platform over any other. I used bb for years, and got very tired of it. I went over to android, for a little while used both platforms, and then exclusively android for a year now. Am I nostalgic about the bb quirks? No. Do I think iPhone 4 is a great looking phone and built like a tank? Yes. Is Google pretty good at growing a stock price? I guess. But am I going to switch back to bb, because when its time to get **** done and make some money, nothing gets me connected to all the people I need to talk to so easily, not even my desk phone.. yes, it seems that way. You can say all you want about being able to make a call from every crappy phone out there, and these are powerful computers or whatever, but I prefer to take pictures with a good camera in raw format, read documents on a high resolution device with a huge screen, watch videos on my big screen, and not waste time on stupid video games (lol I said it). Some of us dont want a device that can make calls also, but a phone that can do a few more things. And some of us are not driven by outdated views or reluctance for change, but by a need to have the best tool, whether the price is a premium for business class machines, or as is the case here, having to deal with oversized form factors, or lower resolution displays, or the lack of the all important geek-chic.
    05-27-11 10:53 PM
    RIM needs a awesome QNX large touchscreen world phone out by my bogo date. I won't drop Blackberry but I may change carriers to get a cheaper monthy bill.
    05-27-11 11:19 PM
    You are simply ignoring what others are saying.. I don't care about a specific manufacturer, or even platform over any other. I used bb for years, and got very tired of it. I went over to android, for a little while used both platforms, and then exclusively android for a year now. Am I nostalgic about the bb quirks? No. Do I think iPhone 4 is a great looking phone and built like a tank? Yes. Is Google pretty good at growing a stock price? I guess. But am I going to switch back to bb, because when its time to get **** done and make some money, nothing gets me connected to all the people I need to talk to so easily, not even my desk phone.. yes, it seems that way. You can say all you want about being able to make a call from every crappy phone out there, and these are powerful computers or whatever, but I prefer to take pictures with a good camera in raw format, read documents on a high resolution device with a huge screen, watch videos on my big screen, and not waste time on stupid video games (lol I said it). Some of us dont want a device that can make calls also, but a phone that can do a few more things. And some of us are not driven by outdated views or reluctance for change, but by a need to have the best tool, whether the price is a premium for business class machines, or as is the case here, having to deal with oversized form factors, or lower resolution displays, or the lack of the all important geek-chic.
    I feel the same way in that people seem obsessed at times with screwing around with all the doo dads; not for me. BUT I do think RIM needs to have hardware that is equal to the competition in spec. I was in a Verizon store today and heard the people behind me talking to a rep. I believe they had just checked out a Droid 2. They did not like it for some reason and asked if there were any other options that had real keyboards. The rep said "well there are BlackBerries but the run slower because they have less memory than all the other phones". I think FAST phones will go a long way in stopping the marketshare bleeding.

05-27-11 11:19 PM
143 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD