I'd say when someone comes up with a phone that is as secure and won't spy on me. I can wait an extra whatever seconds for things to load.
    05-27-11 11:03 AM
    With each passing day, the Blackberry is becoming less and less relevant. Their strength was mobile email and business customers paid dearly for mobile email synchronization. RIMM made tons of money but in milking this cow, totally missed the consumer market.

Apple and Android came out and offered email synchronization for free. By synchronization, I mean having your mobile email and PC email synchronized.

I used Gmail for my personal account and the synchronization is beautiful, instant and free. Gmail on a blackberry is archaic and a joke. Syncing between my Berry and PC takes hours and is never 100% accurate.

How can a blackberry handle gmail so poorly? Gmail on an ipad or iphone is on par with an Android device.

Android and Apple does apps and web surfing so much better than a blackberry. Their phones also offer wifi hotspot abilities (ie they can act as a wifi router).

It is only a matter of time before management at RIMM drive this company into the ground. Are you going to wait for the ship to sink before jumping off?

I can't see myself buying another blackberry. I enjoy my Android phone way more, every day.

My Android phone has free software that allows me to access any file on my PC. My Android phone has an app that automatically uploads any picture I take to my PC over wifi or the cell network.

Blackberries are archaic. When will you drop this brand of smartphone?
    There are android and iphone forums on the internet. You should visit those.
    05-27-11 11:06 AM
    I hate to say it, but I have to agree with the OP. RIM is losing it.

I work for an IT integrator who services a ton of organizations of varying sizes. Most of our clients have BES, many have BIS. The majority of them are getting frustrated with the limitations that go along with Blackberry and lots of users are getting iphones or android phones when they're eligible for phone upgrades. I personally have a 9700, and it's activated on a BES which I also manage. I'm definitely switching to another smartphone when i'm eligible because i've also become frustrated with my BB. My co-workers have iphones/androids and they can do everything my BB can and considerably more.

If you don't have BES, it's the weakest phone for corporate email. If you do have BES, Iphone and Android do the same things (they even support remote wipe if you're using Exchange). BES is helpful to IT admins because you can limit what users can do on their phones, but that's about it. It's also finicky, requires a lot of server resources, and is more complex that it should be.

The phones themselves are underpowered and have a dated OS. Two of the biggest features added with BB6 (the new browser and universal search) were playing catchup to the competition. The web browser is still nowhere near as good as iphone or android's. There are not many great apps, and those that are there are usually better in their iphone/android versions.

It's not enough to be great at one thing (corporate email), only under certain circumstances (ie if you have BES) any more. I'm rooting for RIM because I'm a Canadian and would love to see a Canadian company do well. But honestly, they need a game-changer that resonates with consumers. The Torch wasn't it and neither is the Playbook.
    05-27-11 11:25 AM
    Ditto

Just won two auctions on ebay for older iphones 2g and 3g but only reason was because I am going to the states to see my family in NJ and no phone companies provide a prepaid blackberry service.

I have nothing against androids ot the iphone I just prefer Blackberry for they make good phones not toys.
    T-mobile does now.. They just launch new prepaids plans this month. For $50 you can get unl talk,text and web and $10 more for bb BIS services so $60 for unlimited services on your bb!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-11 11:36 AM
    Having had every iPhone, all new android phones, I'm still with blackberry in the end. Why?

When another phone can do a phones core duties (call, service, battery, email, text) better than blackberry, then I will look.

...until then. No other phone comes as close to being a phone and does it so well like a blackberry. People are to mesmerized by shinny new apps that make their phone less of a phone than it was before. I have an iPad2 for that.

My phone needs to be a phone and it needs to work. No one comes close.
    05-27-11 11:44 AM
    Getting applications I need on a daily basis, be it for work or pleasure, and connectivity when and where I need it leads me down the decision path of am I happy with whatever device I am going to use. I have to admit that BB is starting to lag more and more in the application arena, but I haven't given up on them yet...
    05-27-11 12:22 PM
    After defying the Playbook haters out there by absolutely loving mine, my answer to this question is simply "When RIM goes out of business".
    Last edited by Old West Outlaw; 05-27-11 at 12:28 PM.
    05-27-11 12:23 PM
    I'll agree with what a number of others have said here. I don't want email that I delete from my phone deleted from my PC. Heck, it's bad enough that Gmail (not my BB) marks them read on my PC when I have read them on my phone first. I have my phone with me all day. I do not have my PC with me all day. From my phone I want to be able to answer a mail if it is urgent or delete it if it is not, and then be able to read it from my PC. I use Mozilla's Thunderbird and not webmail, even for my Gmail. Deleting from my PC is quick, and it is also quick from my BB. I don't need or want my phone to do it for me. If it's such a concern, why not approach some of the developers and ask them to create an email program that will do what you want with the email you get, rather than what the native client does?
    The more important function is that when you delete the email from your PC, it is deleted from your blackberry. When you get hundreds of emails a day, this is an excellent, time saving feature. You get this with Android and Apple.

There are some emails I want deleted on my Berry and some I want to retain. Being able to manage this process from a PC is very useful.

Picking through emails on my Blackberry to decide which emails to keep and which to delete is asinine. Therefore, mark prior read or delete all, is useless.

Consumers obviously value this functionality as manifest by the increasing adoption rates of Android and Apple phones. It may not be important to you, but it is to the consumer market.

Having had every iPhone, all new android phones, I'm still with blackberry in the end. Why?

When another phone can do a phones core duties (call, service, battery, email, text) better than blackberry, then I will look.

...until then. No other phone comes as close to being a phone and does it so well like a blackberry. People are to mesmerized by shinny new apps that make their phone less of a phone than it was before. I have an iPad2 for that.

My phone needs to be a phone and it needs to work. No one comes close.
    The Berry is an excellent phone. Call quality on the iphone has always been bad. The reasons you cited is why I still have a Blackberry.

Blah Blah, the whole reason blackberrys were invented was for people that were out and about all day not in front of a PC and as a rule I think 99% of blackberry owners get their email on the handset before the PC gets it and from blackberry to PC sync is instant.
    For those occasions where you do read your email on the PC first Rim has kindly provided the "mark prior read" or "delete prior" options. It only takes a second to do it.

I use my Berry for work and get a large volume of emails a day. There are some emails I want deleted on my Berry and some I want to retain. Being able to manage this process from a PC would save a lot of time.

Sequentially going through emails on a daily basis, on my Blackberry to decide which emails to keep and which to delete would be insane. Therefore, mark prior read or delete all, is useless to me.

After defying the Playbook haters out there by absolutely loving mine, my answer to this question is simply "When RIM goes out of business".
    Same. I am loving the PB.
    05-27-11 12:33 PM
    As soon as I can afford to replace my 9800 with a droid of any flavor is when I will be giving up on RIM, but I have other reasons for my choice.
    05-27-11 12:40 PM
    I use my Berry for work and get a large volume of emails a day. There are some emails I want deleted on my Berry and some I want to retain. Being able to manage this process from a PC would save a lot of time.

Sequentially going through emails on a daily basis, on my Blackberry to decide which emails to keep and which to delete would be insane. Therefore, mark prior read or delete all, is useless to me.
    Maybe you should check your settings, because when i delete emails on my PC it deletes on my Berry. And BTW, you're spending hours syncing because you have a lot of mail. Purge folders like sent item and deleted items and that will greatly decrease your sync times as well. You need to keep in mind that you aren't just syncing mail. Contacts, calendar entries, appointments, and other apps sync too.
    05-27-11 12:51 PM
    Wish I could say I still like my blackberry torch. I hate the sluggishness and the battery pulls. It take forever for the app store to load on my pc. And when it does load, the apps are p**s poor. In December when I'm due for an upgrade, I'll go back to Iphone or I'll get an Android.
    05-27-11 03:30 PM
    As soon as I get back from a nice long weekend.
    05-27-11 03:54 PM
    I also thought that Android can do things better, switched, and really gave it a chance. But the truth is, there are a few things that no one does as well as rim, and those things happen to be the ones most important to a mobile phone.
    Will rim learn how to do everything else and keep what it already knows? Will others ever do what rim already does? Is such a thing even possible? I Just hope that as the landscape changes, we still have access to someone, whoever it is, that makes communications as simple and intuitive as rim.
    05-27-11 04:10 PM
    It is interesting how the pressures from android and ios have helped to shape the evolution of bb, and what is really impressive is how rim has been able to take from the other two certain aspects that make it better, yet still retain the usability that keeps the core market satisfied. Just by reading these forums, I can see it must not be easy for them.
    05-27-11 04:20 PM
    It is interesting how the pressures from android and ios have helped to shape the evolution of bb, and what is really impressive is how rim has been able to take from the other two certain aspects that make it better, yet still retain the usability that keeps the core market satisfied. Just by reading these forums, I can see it must not be easy for them.
    That's the rub right there -- how to make BB's more marketable to more of the consumer users without upsetting that which makes BB so desirable to the current core users. I'd much rather they take the slow and steady approach they're currently taking than to rush into a complete shift in focus that eradicates everything that makes a BlackBerry a BlackBerry. Although let's not make it too slow...
    05-27-11 05:15 PM

Same. I am loving the PB.
    My blackberry does delete emails when they are removed from my PC inbox...and you have a choice to delete stuff (while on your BB) from JUST the device or from BOTH the device and mailbox

As soon as I can afford to replace my 9800 with a droid of any flavor is when I will be giving up on RIM, but I have other reasons for my choice.
    do not get one of those low-end droids. You will likely end up hating it and coming right back here. Getting a high end model, even an old one, will be a much better experience.

I too am kind of frustrated with the slowness of my device. But I do have a 9300 which is akin to getting one of the low-end droids. However, my experience with the 9700 was not all that pleasant either. Ive said before that I am rooting for the 9900 to be a big step forward for RIM and if they can manage to give it battery life similar to the 9700 then it will be very attractive when juxtaposed with an Android device.
    05-27-11 05:50 PM
    even with all these new devices coming out they are STILL BEHIND everyone else. I have had many many blackberries and run the 9780 now...for communication/integration for emails/chat etc....YES THEY ARE SUPERIOR but thats where it ends. entertainment, video, music, processors (getting better) and lets not even go there with app world..blah!

I have also had many androids and yes even a couple iphones. had a playbook but i returned it since it couldn't even stream youtube properly (4 units later!) no sense having it...tried samsung tab...its ok....went to ipad 1. fanstastic!! netflix my main reason. true, limited to what apple says but at least it freaking works!

seriously, if RIM's new devices are still somewhat outdated when i try them, its a good chance i am switching back to iphone...maybe. but who knows maybe the new 9900 will be fantastic..about time a larger keyboard came out!!

i hope these new toys step up to the plate, rim has been behind for too long ot keep surviving the domination of modern units. love my bb for everything that involves a keystroke..thats it.
    05-27-11 06:09 PM
    even with all these new devices coming out they are STILL BEHIND everyone else. I have had many many blackberries and run the 9780 now...for communication/integration for emails/chat etc....YES THEY ARE SUPERIOR but thats where it ends. entertainment, video, music, processors (getting better) and lets not even go there with app world..blah!

Obviously if BBs are SUPERIOR for communication, integration for emails/chat, etc, then they are not BEHIND everyone else.

Sheesh. People, this isn't rocket science. Different focus does not equal behind!!!
    Last edited by Ferretling; 05-27-11 at 06:22 PM. Reason: I can't type, apparently.
    05-27-11 06:20 PM
    even with all these new devices coming out they are STILL BEHIND everyone else.
    I couldn't care less about the media features the new devices are supposedly "behind" on. Therefore, for me, BlackBerry is not behind anyone.

I have had many many blackberries and run the 9780 now...for communication/integration for emails/chat etc....YES THEY ARE SUPERIOR
    So this means Apple and Android are behind. They can try, but I doubt they'll step up their game.

... entertainment, video, music, processors (getting better) ... blah!
    All the stuff I don't care about ...

... love my bb for everything that involves a keystroke..thats it.
    And that's precisely why I have a BlackBerry. I don't need it for anything else.

05-27-11 06:20 PM
    When? Yesterday. My 9780 lies idle on the desk waiting to be given away to a friend. My Playbook is going on eBay this afternoon. I picked up a iPhone 4 and a iPad 2 yesterday and can't believe the breath of fresh air they are - no more hard work to get simple things done!
    05-27-11 07:05 PM
    When? Yesterday. My 9780 lies idle on the desk waiting to be given away to a friend. My Playbook is going on eBay this afternoon. I picked up a iPhone 4 and a iPad 2 yesterday and can't believe the breath of fresh air they are - no more hard work to get simple things done!
    Curious what simple things you mean..
    05-27-11 07:13 PM
    I think he means like ... finding his car.

05-27-11 07:15 PM

I have also had many androids and yes even a couple iphones. had a playbook but i returned it since it couldn't even stream youtube properly (4 units later!) no sense having it...tried samsung tab...its ok....went to ipad 1. fanstastic!! netflix my main reason. true, limited to what apple says but at least it freaking works!

seriously, if RIM's new devices are still somewhat outdated when i try them, its a good chance i am switching back to iphone...maybe. but who knows maybe the new 9900 will be fantastic..about time a larger keyboard came out!!

i hope these new toys step up to the plate, rim has been behind for too long ot keep surviving the domination of modern units. love my bb for everything that involves a keystroke..thats it.
    Sounds like it's time for you to move on to those other dominate devices. Nothing wrong with that. I think there is room for them all. Different strokes for different folks.
    05-27-11 07:23 PM
    Finding my car? What does that even mean?

Anyway, as an initial example, every time I turn on my PB I have to re-do the orientation lock. Then when I start the browser I have to change the display options in the bookmarks from the large picture icon view to a list view (just to be able to see a third of them!). It's not the hardest thing in the world but the damn thing SHOULD remember the settings I choose. Not keep making me use the settings it wants to default to.
    05-27-11 07:35 PM

...for communication/integration for emails/chat etc....YES THEY ARE SUPERIOR
    This is the main reason I personally stay with BlackBerry! Any device that can't match BB in this area is not gonna cut it for me.

05-27-11 07:38 PM
143 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD