+1

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

05-25-11 10:36 PM
    if you don't like it leave. it's very simple. no one is forcing you to stay... the BB community would be better off without people like you.. we are here cuz we care for our devices.
    05-25-11 10:50 PM
    How times have changed.

Reality check. Android and Apple are successful products and appeal to some users. So are BlackBerry, and it is likley to stay that way.

Cutting edge is the best of the best. Bleeding edge is the next step beyond, but not for the faint of heart.
    05-25-11 11:34 PM
    Analysts' opinions, stock price, market share, or what the majority of other smartphone users are buying have exactly zero bearing on how I and anyone else use a phone.

I have no problem whatsoever with how BlackBerry handles email.

I have tried iPhones several times - I don't like them as much as any BlackBerry I've ever owned, going back to my first Curve. Android offers me no reason to switch from BlackBerry, but quite a few reasons not to. Not getting into them line by line lest I be labeled a fanboy for stating what I dislike about it. It's not that I think Apple is evil or Android is whatever anybody else doesn't like about Android. The bottom line is, I think my BlackBerry provides the best user experience.

Again, your gripes are not everyone else's gripes; your best user experience is not everyone else's best user experience. You have an iPhone and an Android phone; if you dislike the BlackBerry so much, then DON'T USE IT.
    I never said I dislike the Blackberry. They have lost their way and the declining market share and stock price confirms this. Everyday, people are dropping their blackberries. To me, this is disappointing. Without sales and profits, RIMM can't innovate. Then they are out of business.

People were still dancing as the Titanic sank.
    05-25-11 11:45 PM
    Give it up, E92. Not a single person in this thread agrees with you. I think you should be doing something more productive than trying to ask people when and telling them why they should be dropping their BlackBerrys. It really shouldn't matter to you. If it does, then you have issues.

Go cheer for the Canucks or something.
    Hey. I like Blackberry and have owned them since the 7000 series. I am just sad to see the company flame out so quickly. They use to set the standard.
    05-25-11 11:47 PM
    My biggest gripe with the iPhone was the lack of notification profiles... just that little switch on the side... vibrate, or ring....

with my blackberry i can have all notifications on, vibrate on, only notifications for certain types of messages / certain email accounts, only phone calls, and the list goes on.......

Agreed !

I wouldn't "drop" my blackberry in the sense of switching to another platform, however if and when I do physically drop my device, i am sure it will stand up to more beatings that a droid...
    Another reason that keeps me using my Blackberry. Android has weak notification profiles too. On my Berry, I have an office profile. No LED or audible email alerts come through, but I still get BBM, SMS and phone calls.

Don't get me wrong. I use my Blackberry for work and like it. I am just sorry to see this company going out of business for no good reason.

Look at all the models Blackberry makes, compared to Apple that makes one friggin model and is killing RIMM. Having 8 models of phones is a developers nightmare and one of the reasons Blackberry has weak apps. Which Blackberry model do you develop for.
    05-25-11 11:52 PM

I remember when Blackberry was killing it. You had to pay extra for a BES plan and got 50 mb of data for $100. What a rip off. They had no competition.

Then Apple, Android and Windows figured out how to give push email for free.

I don't understand why Android is so hot when the battery life is so bad. I have to have an extra battery with the Nexus S to get through the day and it just barely gets through the day with 2 batteries.

I enjoy my Blackberry but fear the day that they will no longer be around and I will not be able to have one.
    Last edited by E92Vancouver; 05-26-11 at 12:02 AM.
    05-25-11 11:56 PM
    I don't understand why Android is so hot when the battery life is so bad. I have to have an extra battery with the Nexus S to get through the day and it just barely gets through the day with 2 batteries.
    Simple. Android battery life is worse than a Blackberry because Android devices generally runs a much larger / higher res screens with faster processors. Also, they simply flow much much more data at any given time than a Blackberry, because they are quite capable of doing so with no issues.

The widget system alone on an Android device moves a lot of data, ie. score updates, stock updates, mail updates, Twitter updates, Facebook updates, etc., etc., etc.

All that info is continually updated and available if desired via a widget for viewing at a moments notice. I think my poor old 9550 would have permanently frozen up if it had to handle the amount of data I go through (reliably) daily on my Droid X.

Lets not even compare the apps, that market alone largely separates Android and iOS from Blackberry.

The only real complaint I had with both Droids I have owned is data source switching between Wi-Fi and 3G. The Blackberry was flawless in that area. If Wi-Fi died, 3G picked up quickly and vice-versa. Android seems to have a hard time realizing a scenario where there is a Wi-Fi signal but no internet connectivity and doesn't revert to 3G, killing your data connection and with it all data streams / pushes. Not a deal killer, but something I have to keep an occasional eye on. Quite frankly it doesn't happen often, error messages on widgets indicating no connection usually clue you off to when it happens.
    05-26-11 12:18 AM
    when apple iphone and android can integrate the features that sets blackberry apart from them then i will consider leaving blackberry.blackberry does push email better then them.also battery life on a berry is much better.with iphone/android you have your chargers with you all day long if you are a heavy user.i tried apple and im not saying iphone is bad but i just don't want my phone to be primarily about apps.plus i need a physical keyboard which iphone android lack.blackberry gives you the touchscreen and keyboard functionality.just go ask the torch 9800 users how that makes their life much easier.also with the iphone you sometimes get dropped calls.with berry no worries about it.so for now,im siding with berry.who knows where the future will lead.
    05-26-11 01:03 AM
    RIM could have adopted Android if they thought it did everything they needed. It does not; so they did not.
    05-26-11 01:28 AM
    I have gotten very close many times. Keep in mind I still own my defective storm and am trying to hold out for the monaco or bold touch before jumping ship to android. I sometimes feel our loyalty to BB is far stronger than managements will to satisfy the loyal BB owner.

05-26-11 02:16 AM
    From the OP, that statement about Blackberry becoming less relevant is bogus. There's a bigger world out there than your city, or even the US for that matter. Blackberry is incredibly "relevant" in other countries. All the stuff you rattled down, BB already does, except the wifi hotspot thing which is happens to be on the upcoming devices anyway.
    It is worthy to mention that too that neither iPhone and, rofl, Android have the degree of data security that any Blackberry ships with standard. Been following why the UAE is getting so uptight about Blackberry? Why does Barack Obama carry one instead of the above mentioned phones? Finally, I should point out that a Blackberry smartphone is NOT aimed at video games. It does photos, plays movies, these upcoming devices even have hi-def video recording. As far as I can tell, the only people that can call Blackberry irrelevant are video gamers and those who follow what the mass market has a hard on for, which I would like someone to be able to prove what the primary uses the mass market has with smartphones.

In short, there's nothing I can see that Blackberry is lacking in terms of actual usefulness, except. 4 1/2" screens and Angry Birds, fart machines, and a lot of devices with non-removable batteries.

Their only mistake is having kept themselves outdated on raw hardware specs, and not doing a better job of defining what a Blackberry is really designed for. The iPhone and Android devices came out with a much different target audience and different purpose than what Blackberrys were made for. Its fortunate they decided to take some cues from that market though, because hi-def video recording is a fine feature to have.

Please understand, I'm not interested in attacking you, but you're statement made at the start of this thread is shallow. Understanding Blackberry when you belong in Android or iPhone's world is an exercise in understanding what it actually "outside of the box."

Kuhns likes this.
    05-26-11 02:18 AM
    ...also battery life on a berry is much better.with iphone/android you have your chargers with you all day long if you are a heavy user....
    This is very true and is a reason I still have a Blackberry. With iphone/Android, you need a charger at home, one in the car, one at the office, one in your bag and a spare battery just in case. Running out of power with an Android/iphone is an expected event on a daily basis.
    05-26-11 02:32 AM
    This is very true and is a reason I still have a Blackberry. With iphone/Android, you need a charger at home, one in the car, one at the office, one in your bag and a spare battery just in case. Running out of power with an Android/iphone is an expected event on a daily basis.
    Dude, make up your mind!

05-26-11 03:12 AM
    Dude, make up your mind!

I have lots of phones. The Android and iphone are awesome but have limitations that I have discussed. They also have some features that could be and should be adopted by RIMM. There is a reason Blackberries continue to lose customers and market share quarter over quarter.

RIMM figures that if its small group of loyal customers are not complaining, then it is doing something right. And there in lies the problem. Mediocrity, lack of innovation and being obtuse to market trends, making it less relevant everyday.

If it wasn't or Android and Apple, Blackberries would still have the thumb wheel and 16 color screens.
    05-26-11 03:23 AM
    I have lots of phones. The Android and iphone are awesome but have limitations that I have discussed. They also have some features that could be and should be adopted by RIMM. There is a reason Blackberries continue to lose customers and market share quarter over quarter.

RIMM figures that if its small group of loyal customers are not complaining, then it is doing something right. And there in lies the problem. Mediocrity, lack of innovation and being obtuse to market trends, making it less relevant everyday.

If it wasn't or Android and Apple, Blackberries would still have the thumb wheel and 16 color screens.
    Wrong, last time I checked Rim was gaining customers, just not at the rate of Android. Get your facts straight, Rim is a growing company, every quarter it ads more subscribers then and sells more devices then the one before.

05-26-11 03:36 AM
    The analyst hate it. They are losing market share and Android and Apple are eating their lunch.
    With some it is more a case of who is *buying* lunch for the analysts and reviewers. Can't afford to upset a major advertising contract...

Look at the falling stock price. Look at the falling market share. The reason for all this? Their products are becoming less relevant. They are bleeding edge as opposed to leading edge.
    A few years ago the market was small and new, and RIM was the market innovator with (at one time) approaching 100% of the cellular messaging market. Then others moved in and the market expanded... it is expected that market share declines if viable competition emerges - even if unit volume increases. Look what happened to Ford, they had almost 100% of the mass market when the Model T launched. Others copied their methods and took a slice of the pie as the car market expanded - almost exactly the same pattern as we see with RIM now. 80 years later Ford is still there and has a significant role in vehicle production.
    hubermania likes this.
    05-26-11 03:52 AM
    I will stop buying blackberry's when someone makes a better device for my needs.

I need a Portrait keyboard
    I need small data footprint while traveling
    I need communication with my friends and family
    I need long lasting battery life

right now ONLY blackberry offers me all of that.
    90% of my family communication is with BBM,
    Pretty much my thoughts, but most of my data is business related. Travelling internationally I can't afford a data hog. If Im flying I don't need mindless games to keep me awake. BB does exactly what I need, better and more efficiently than the competition.
    05-26-11 03:57 AM
    when apple becomes less controlling and android gets some more consistant phones. so probably never, apple has made it a point to control everything you buy. androids phones are extremly hit or miss, they need to get the quality under control. how many brands run droid? far to many, google needs to pick like three brands and stick to them. let the rest migrate to other os's.
    with that said android would be the only one i would consider changing to.
    05-26-11 06:09 AM
    A few years ago the market was small and new, and RIM was the market innovator with (at one time) approaching 100% of the cellular messaging market. Then others moved in and the market expanded... it is expected that market share declines if viable competition emerges - even if unit volume increases. Look what happened to Ford, they had almost 100% of the mass market when the Model T launched. Others copied their methods and took a slice of the pie as the car market expanded - almost exactly the same pattern as we see with RIM now. 80 years later Ford is still there and has a significant role in vehicle production.

You don't have to go back to the Model T lets look at TODAY

the iPad is losing market share dramatically! when the iPad launched it was near 100% market share, every day it's Market share falls, it will probably be less than 80% market share by year end assuming it sells 18million units, and Competitors ONLY sell 2 million.

Market share is a silly thing to gage a growing market on, once it has matured, and it's growth is in the single percentage points each year, THEN you need to pay close attention to market share
    Ferretling likes this.
    05-26-11 06:33 AM
    I never said I dislike the Blackberry. They have lost their way and the declining market share and stock price confirms this. Everyday, people are dropping their blackberries. To me, this is disappointing. Without sales and profits, RIMM can't innovate. Then they are out of business.

People were still dancing as the Titanic sank.
    You're basing this whole argument on a false assumption. RIM is not 'flaming out', they are not going out of business. Fell behind the competition technologically, absolutely; but bleeding edge hardware was never their value proposition. From a corporate and financial standpoint, RIM is very healthy. They have hit a bit of a rut and are now paying the price for strategic complacency a few years ago; all companies go through it at one time or another. RIM is healthy enough to be able to withstand it, but admittedly they've used up all their mulligans and now have to execute flawlessly to become competitively 'significant' again. Whether they will or not remains to be seen, and no amount of speculating is going to change that outcome. The fact is, they have a strong foundation to rebuild on. RIM is not going away any time soon.

You said yourself there are things you prefer how the BlackBerry does, and you even noted that you enjoy using it. So what more is there? You're never going to get the perfect device in a package the size of a smart phone -- there will always be compromises. You find the one that compromises the least for what you need to do with it and go with it.
    05-26-11 07:52 AM
    So if an Analyst word is so mighty, just remember

SUB-PRIME MORTGAGES
    05-26-11 09:15 AM
    It does not have to be this way. Why doesn't the management of RIM step it up? They don't have to win the race but it would be nice if they could stay on the same lap!
    I share this sentiment.
    I converted to BB 9780 from IP4 for various reasons I already explained elsewhere. I love my little 9780. It does things well. But I needed more and looks like 9900 will keep me stay with BB.

But one thing I have found since I entered this community is that RIM's management is a real question. In a recent issue of Canadian Biz Magazine, there was a line, which goes;

[You can't over-promise and under-deliver too many times].

I think this described the current situation at the management level of RIM, and explains current problems with PB and "pre-leaked/announced" future handhelds.

Oh, well....
    05-26-11 09:57 AM
    when apple becomes less controlling and android gets some more consistant phones. so probably never, apple has made it a point to control everything you buy. androids phones are extremly hit or miss, they need to get the quality under control. how many brands run droid? far to many, google needs to pick like three brands and stick to them. let the rest migrate to other os's.
    with that said android would be the only one i would consider changing to.
    unfortunately, that would defeat the entire purpose behind android devleopment and delete some of the money pool made by the OHA. Android is open for a reason and many believe that if they go the route you just described, they will just be another Apple.

Also, how can you say apple needs to be less controlling only to turn around and say android needs to become more controlling?

OT - Im already ready to give up on RIM unless the 99xx just blows me out the water. Yes, the specs look great but that doesnt mean much if its buggy like the Torch and Storm.

I will likely go to Android (I have had Palms, Android, and iOS phones in the past) because I like the large selection of devices, the fact that I can find pretty much perfect devices (for my needs) as well as rivaling Apple in development and multimedia capability!
    05-26-11 11:15 AM

I love my Blackberry because of this ^

I will not give up on BlackBerry unless they really, really start to not give a ****.
    05-26-11 11:17 AM
143 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD