Did a search on the subject and couldn't come up with any solid info. I saw a lot of references to OS 5.0 including threaded SMS, but when I researched OS 5.0 features there was no mention of it. Any info would be great, would love to have threaded SMS on my BB!
    07-11-09 09:36 PM
    I have researched this hard and all signs point to no threaded SMS until 5.0.
    07-11-09 09:43 PM
    Threaded SMS is actually going to be implemented in the next version of BBM, which will appear in OS 5.0. So whenever 5.0 is released, threaded sms will be released with it.
    07-11-09 09:44 PM
    I've only got a few friends with BB's so I hardly ever use BBM. When you say threaded SMS is included in 5.0 does that include the actual SMS app as well as BBM, or just BBM? Thanks for the quick responses!
    07-11-09 09:47 PM
    From what I've read and seen, I believe it is only within the BBM app so far. But we have yet to see a major OS 5 leak, it has probably been a month since, so we'll just have to wait and see .. one month and we should start to see the final OS 5 builds...
    07-11-09 10:09 PM
    I don't get what you mean by it being in the next BBM, hasn't it always been in BBM??
    07-11-09 10:17 PM
    I was just about to make a thread about this. Glad I did a search. I really would love to have this. The one thing I miss from my Treo days.
    07-11-09 10:17 PM
    mrgregory, i had a Treo too, and really liked it on that device.

BTW, there is a 3rd party app someplace that does it I think. I never cared enough to learn the name of it but if someone wanted to find it bad enough I'm sure it could be done with a search.
    07-11-09 10:23 PM
    mrgregory, i had a Treo too, and really liked it on that device.

BTW, there is a 3rd party app someplace that does it I think. I never cared enough to learn the name of it but if someone wanted to find it bad enough I'm sure it could be done with a search.
    Check this link out. http://www.getempower.com/mindex.htm
    You will need to install empower central first but there is no need for set up....unless of course you want to change fonts or background. There are also a couple of apps to go along with it I would recommend. SMS popup viewer...and for those with a keyboard....quick SMS.
    Give them a shot...still in open beta but so far so good. Hope this helps.
    07-11-09 10:39 PM
    Anyone have any ideas on a program that does this? I dont use BB Messenger because i'm a little wary of giving out my pin all over the net, but i would love threaded SMS its the one thing i miss from my Palm Centro.
    07-12-09 12:53 AM
    Wait, you're weary of giving your PIN out? You would only have to give it to people you'd want to chat with---the same people you'd have to give your phone number to for SMS.
    07-12-09 12:56 AM
    From what I've read and seen, I believe it is only within the BBM app so far. But we have yet to see a major OS 5 leak, it has probably been a month since, so we'll just have to wait and see .. one month and we should start to see the final OS 5 builds...
    Threaded SMS has nothing to do with BBM. It has to do with text messages being threaded. BBM is already threaded.
    07-12-09 02:42 AM
    does that not still require everyone that would text you to be on BBM? I just don't get the whole "let's make this proprietary thing really cool and abandon making the native SMS more useful." thing.
    Wait, you're weary of giving your PIN out? You would only have to give it to people you'd want to chat with---the same people you'd have to give your phone number to for SMS.
    07-17-09 09:42 PM
    I'm confused! Isn't the threaded sms already available on the 8900? If I click on the latest message I receive from someone I just scroll down to read all the previous sent and received texts in one page.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-09 01:53 PM
    BBM is not SMS. Why is everyone refereing to BBM?
    So is SMS going to be threaded in 5.0?

07-18-09 02:15 PM
    I'm confused! Isn't the threaded sms already available on the 8900? If I click on the latest message I receive from someone I just scroll down to read all the previous sent and received texts in one page.

That's not threaded, when you think of threaded sms, think of chatting on an Instant Messenger. OS 5 will have it, there are program out there for threaded sms, but to this point they are all horrid, and ad far as handing your PIN... Its the safest form of social networking ever. No names, numbers, or other personal info is shared. Just a combination of numbers and letters that allow people to find you on BBM. Its a screen name for BlackBerry's.
    07-18-09 02:19 PM
    I dont really see the difference tbh.

The only difference between my sms inbox and the BBM is instead of just displaying the contact name (BBM) It tells me the time/date/mobile no of the contact. I can still view the whole conversation on the same screen. I dont have to back out to read an older message as mine and their messages are right in front of me.

Excuse me if i'm being short sighted but i really dont see what the big difference is. Unless other blackberries handle SMS differently to the 8900?
    07-18-09 05:15 PM
    The difference is the same between SMS and BBM.

Right now, SMS is tracked by individual messages. BBM is tracked as a conversation.

The threaded SMS will be a conversation track. Delete the conversation, and every message from/to that person is deleted...rather than deleting individual messages. Just like an IM program like AIM or Yahoo. (or the iPhone)

I would like to see Threaded SMS as well. It would definitely make managing all of my SMS messages easier.
    07-18-09 06:18 PM
    The difference is the same between SMS and BBM.

Right now, SMS is tracked by individual messages. BBM is tracked as a conversation.

The threaded SMS will be a conversation track. Delete the conversation, and every message from/to that person is deleted...rather than deleting individual messages. Just like an IM program like AIM or Yahoo. (or the iPhone)

I would like to see Threaded SMS as well. It would definitely make managing all of my SMS messages easier.
    This. Threaded SMS just makes handling conversations much easier. It also doesn't fill up your inbox with new separate messages from the same people.
    07-18-09 06:39 PM
    This. Threaded SMS just makes handling conversations much easier. It also doesn't fill up your inbox with new separate messages from the same people.
    Easier to delete whole conversations as well.... Threaded sms on my bold is my dream..... I hope 5.0 is released with it.... Don't know why BB lacks it. Iphone has it

07-18-09 06:52 PM
    I think it may be the same business mentality.

It would be easier for business users to delete/save 1 message than have to dig through an entire conversation.

Although, they could include an option for us to choose which style we want. That would make both sides happy.
    07-18-09 07:16 PM
    Anyone know when the version of BBM 5.0 with SMS integration will be leaked? Anyone have a best guess? Or who's holding out on the files nowwww?

07-18-09 07:41 PM
    Do we even know when 5.0 is coming out??
    07-26-09 11:28 PM
    I use SMS for business all the time and sometimes keep long running conversations that contain pertinent information. Considering I know who sent them it's much easier to to just find that person's conversation than to try and remember dates of a particular message from that person. Also it's easier to just text in an IM style box where it's easier to reference prior messages as opposed to BB style of sms where I have to be in contact history for that particular person. Obviously they see a need for IM style SMS since they created the BB messenger. Just a shame those that don't use BBM have to settle for something inferior on the same device.
    I think it may be the same business mentality.

It would be easier for business users to delete/save 1 message than have to dig through an entire conversation.

Although, they could include an option for us to choose which style we want. That would make both sides happy.
    07-27-09 01:30 AM
    I like the bbm better that sms iam happy
    07-27-09 05:25 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD