I've been thinking about this, and thought to ask, what would it take RIM to produce phones without carrier labels?

Do you think the new series will still carry labels?

In my opinion they look fugly and less classy!
    04-19-11 07:43 PM
    I've been thinking about this, and thought to ask, what would it take RIM to produce phones without carrier labels?

Neither my Torch, My Style, Nor my Curve Have Carrier labels..

Rogers, Bell, Bell, are the Carriers respectively
    04-19-11 07:45 PM
    If you buy a BlackBerry for full price from an online retailer, it might be unbranded.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-11 10:52 PM
    In short no.

But then I always replace the bezel so I don't have to look at US Cellular
    every time I use it.

Sort of like buying a car and it has the dealers little sticker on it.
    It comes off the first time it's parked inside my garage.

Tim
    04-19-11 11:24 PM
    I don't understand why it's even an issue. In the years I used BB's the labels didn't bother me in the least.
    04-20-11 12:58 AM
    I'm with Sasktel, and I have never once seen Sasktel on any of their BB's. I would find it unappealing, and probably find some way to take it off if I had it on my BB.
    04-20-11 06:36 AM
    Not quite sure why this would bother someone. On my AT&T branded torch, it says AT&T in white with their logo on the bottom bezel. It's barely even noticeable, but there are several threads around the 980 section where rubbing it with a penny takes it off.
    04-20-11 06:50 AM
    Not quite sure why this would bother someone. On my AT&T branded torch, it says AT&T in white with their logo on the bottom bezel. It's barely even noticeable, but there are several threads around the 980 section where rubbing it with a penny takes it off.
    To me, it would be bothersome because I like a nice, clean looking phone. I hate stickers on it, and having it branded would be like my providers throw a sticker on my phone. That's to me anyways, others might have their own reasons. I did see that thread too, there's actually a video on youtube about it. Worked perfectly, didn't even leave a scratch on the 9800.
    04-20-11 06:55 AM
    I think its a little much for carriers to put their name on a device. The manufacturer should be the only one branding the phone. That's like Comcast putting their logo on my HP laptop because they're my ISP. I like my phone to look more like a professional mobile device and less like a Nascar...
    Technerd.McLeod likes this.
    04-20-11 07:08 AM
    As long as people buy phones subsidized by the carrier they will always be branded by the carrier.
    04-20-11 07:34 AM
    I actually scraped my AT&T logo off my Torch using the penny trick. The off-white silk-screened logo was a bit ugly on that dark chrome bezel. Being on a chrome finish is probably why it's fairly easy to rub off without scratching the finish.

The logo on my old 8100 Pearl was slightly embedded into the plastic bottom trim piece. If you tried to scrape that off, you would still have a shallow recess of the logo left in the plastic. My guess is that that's how it would be with any phone branded on a bare plastic trim part.

Last edited by joeldf; 04-20-11 at 11:26 AM.
    04-20-11 11:24 AM

I'm afraid not until RIM wields the same kind of clout as Apple does and they can tell the larger carriers to take their draconian demands and go pound sand. Which means yes, I think the new phones will have carrier logos, at least on the carriers that force them now. I don't care - I'm more concerned with what's under the hood anyway.

@dR: my Torch has the evil at&t logo on the keyboard chin. Those rat bast@rds.

04-20-11 01:16 PM

Most likely when all carriers adopt LTE.
    04-20-11 06:50 PM
    No label on my Telus locked Torch. But there is the green leaf on the start up screen
    04-20-11 06:53 PM
    its all part of the carrier branding. so for as long as phones are subsidized and sold through carriers, they will almost always contain some type of branding. either as startup screens and other digital media embedded in the phone or as silkscreened logos on the phone itself.
    04-21-11 05:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD