What will it take for people to care about privacy and security? What I mean is this: both Google and Appls have some serious security issues. I understand that Apple is quicker to patch vulnerabilities vs Google. Google seems like they have given up. They can't patch cheaper Android devices like mine from the Stagefright bug. It seems like while BlackBerry struggles to pull in people who are dependent on using phones like the S6 and iPhone as toys, they may gain some folks like me who are more and more concerned with privacy, security and open vulnerability bugs. It has occur to me more and more that I can actually quit my silly games and use a BlackBerry for work. I'd feel more secure with a Classic that's for sure.

I know the market is geared towards people who want entertainment, apps and stuff but what will it take for people to come back and worry about security instead of the latest game or snapchat update etc? Would a major security breach at Apple or Google where usernames and passwords are stolen make people leave and head back to BlackBerry? Just wondering what your guys thoughts are. The more security breach and software bugs that come out the more concerned I am about it.

Thoughts?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    lift, Sexy Sadie, George_B and 1 others like this.
    10-25-15 02:18 AM
    It has to go terribly wrong for people to see the value of security and privacy. People started caring about antivirus software when media spoke about the dangers and real life examples were communicated to them. How many incidents have occured in terms of mobile phones? The huge ones were the hacked iCloud and iOS passcode examples. People won't care unless something happens to them or people close to them. Enterprises don't care either and even if they do, they don't have to worry about going back to a BlackBerry, because BlackBerry themselves offer solutions without having to buy the actual phone.

Real life conversations go like "There are so many people with phones, what are the odds that YOU'll get hacked". I think someone has to develop a trojan or copy a whole library of texts, pictures, notes and phone numbers and post it on the phone user's social media account so their whole life is exposed in order to make them worry about security and privacy.

Posted via CB10
    techguy1, jaydee5799 and Jrox74 like this.
    10-25-15 03:04 AM
    If people cared about security/privacy they wouldn't be buying droids and apples, plain and simple.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 03:20 AM
    When something tragic happens. They only care about what other people think.

TJ Strozier of Astronomic Music Group
    techguy1 and Sexy Sadie like this.
    10-25-15 03:50 AM
    12th of Never... Chen phoned me himself with the date.

Corporations care about their privacy and security. People, as individuals, generally don't care.

If people did care:
    1) Android wouldn't have an overwhelming share of the market, and
    2) every data breach would cause people to switch platforms/carriers.

Neither is true, so clearly people don't care about privacy and security.

That'll all change on 12th Never... mark the date on your calendars!
    FF22 likes this.
    10-25-15 04:09 AM
    Does this will something for being the 10,000th thread about this subject?
    10-25-15 08:08 AM
    When it is too late.
    JMDBERRY and Jrox74 like this.
    10-25-15 08:10 AM
    Tomorrow OP. They will care tomorrow.
    10-25-15 08:32 AM
    Even if there was a security breach at Google as you said, it would be an issue with their servers and not the phones.

When will people care about cancer and car accidents? You are probably far more likely to experience something like that. But you may still have a beer, a cigarette, or fatty foods. And you aren't going to stop leaving your house to avoid getting in an accident. I think the security thing is overblown. If you are responsible on your phone, you probably will not have a problem.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB, Cynycl, TGR1 and 4 others like this.
    10-25-15 08:49 AM
    Even if there was a security breach at Google as you said, it would be an issue with their servers and not the phones.

When will people care about cancer and car accidents? You are probably far more likely to experience something like that. But you may still have a beer, a cigarette, or fatty foods. And you aren't going to stop leaving your house to avoid getting in an accident. I think the security thing is overblown. If you are responsible on your phone, you probably will not have a problem.

Posted via CB10
    The people saying this actually WANT it to happen so they can say I told you so. They've been waiting for years.
    RH1Pearl, Cynycl, LazyEvul and 3 others like this.
    10-25-15 08:56 AM
    I think the majority of people feel they don't do anything worthy of being hacked, on their phones. My husband and daughter have an S5 and LGG3 each and we have had this conversation. My husband says he only uses his phone for texts, calls and the banking app to an acct with minimal asset. So he is not concerned. My daughter is not heavy on social media and mainly uses her phone to communicate, stream music and play games. So she is not concerned. It would take for them to be hacked with access to their contacts and email accts, for them to be concerned. I asked them if they would be ok with that and they sat silent.

I, on the other hand, use my BlackBerry a lot for banking, PayPal, work communication etc and want that added security. My son doesn't care much for being tracked by Google and tries to minimize the experience. So, he wants the Priv. He currently uses the Z10. There was an article recently comparing the Priv vs the other popular devices and Sony was the only one stated with security features along with the Priv.

So, I think it really depends on the user and what they view their phones as. Mine is a truly mobile computer that I rely heavily on for important work and personal tasks. My daughter, on the other hand, likes her phone for fun things.

Posted via Classic
    Jrox74 likes this.
    10-25-15 09:13 AM
    The people saying this actually WANT it to happen so they can say I told you so. They've been waiting for years.
    I am not sure they understand what they are asking for - you just need one android exploit that Bbry misses and that is their rep gone.
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-25-15 09:14 AM
    When will people stop doing drunk driving, drugs, unsafe S3X?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    10-25-15 09:35 AM
    When will people stop doing drunk driving, drugs, unsafe S3X?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    It's OK to drive drunk as long as you have a Blackberry.
    10-25-15 09:36 AM
    The smartphone consumer has been conditioned over time to not take security serious. And the steps to a more secure environment is in the other direction than we've been taken.
    1)Why is your personal information being made available so freely.
    2)Why is your information used as a bartering tool to gain access to an app that you could easily pay for, with no strings attached.
    3)Why is a Bilateral information exchange necessary to use the app.
    4)Why aren't smartphones built to store information securely internally, instead of giving access to others on an unsecured or less secure cloud-based server. SD card internal storage capabilities are knocking on the door to exceeding 128 GB. Does anyone have that much personal data that can't be store on your phone.
    5)Why with such a security risk (to family, friends and personal financial information), hasn't the government taken a more serious stand on Personal Information Theft and Misappropriation.
    6) Why aren't those companies and individuals involved losing your data, losing their jobs, houses, finances and freedom? You are....

There's an old saying, that if he place a toad in a cool pot of water and slowly increase the heat. The toad will sit there and not even notice, that it's cooking to death.
    The people have been slow cooked.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-15 09:38 AM
    I am not sure they understand what they are asking for - you just need one android exploit that Bbry misses and that is their rep gone.
    And then it would get patched and things would be fine. Windows has always had vulnerabilities, but the world hasn't stopped using it. It's not like individuals and companies are falling left and right due to security breaches despite the millions of Android, Windows, etc. devices out there. Did everyone stop using credit cards or store memberships after the Target fiasco?

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB and jaydee5799 like this.
    10-25-15 09:41 AM
    I think the majority of people feel they don't do anything worthy of being hacked, on their phones. My husband and daughter have an S5 and LGG3 each and we have had this conversation. My husband says he only uses his phone for texts, calls and the banking app to an acct with minimal asset. So he is not concerned. My daughter is not heavy on social media and mainly uses her phone to communicate, stream music and play games. So she is not concerned. It would take for them to be hacked with access to their contacts and email accts, for them to be concerned. I asked them if they would be ok with that and they sat silent.

I, on the other hand, use my BlackBerry a lot for banking, PayPal, work communication etc and want that added security. My son doesn't care much for being tracked by Google and tries to minimize the experience. So, he wants the Priv. He currently uses the Z10. There was an article recently comparing the Priv vs the other popular devices and Sony was the only one stated with security features along with the Priv.

So, I think it really depends on the user and what they view their phones as. Mine is a truly mobile computer that I rely heavily on for important work and personal tasks. My daughter, on the other hand, likes her phone for fun things.

Posted via Classic
    You have a BES Server at home? Sweet
    10-25-15 09:42 AM
    The smartphone consumer has been conditioned over time to not take security serious. And the steps to a more secure environment is in the other direction than we've been taken.
    1)Why is your personal information being made available so freely.
    2)Why is your information used as a bartering tool to gain access to an app that you could easily pay for, with no strings attached.
    3)Why is a Bilateral information exchange necessary to use the app.
    4)Why aren't smartphones built to store information securely internally, instead of giving access to others on an unsecured or less secure cloud-based server. SD card internal storage capabilities are knocking on the door to exceeding 128 GB. Does anyone have that much personal data that can't be store on your phone.
    5)Why with such a security risk (to family, friends and personal financial information), hasn't the government taken a more serious stand on Personal Information Theft and Misappropriation.
    6) Why aren't those companies and individuals involved losing your data, losing their jobs, houses, finances and freedom? You are....

There's an old saying, that if he place a toad in a cool pot of water and slowly increase the heat. The toad will sit there and not even notice, that it's cooking to death.
    The people have been slow cooked.

Posted via CB10
    I'm about to text my wife I'll be late for dinner. Is it safe or should I go to a phone booth?
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-25-15 09:45 AM
    Is this the old farts thread where we talk about privacy and security and try to understand the mindset of the young whippersnappers?
    10-25-15 09:50 AM
    Privacy?
    Security?
    What kind of gibberish language do you speak of?

*C5303
    techguy1 likes this.
    10-25-15 09:53 AM
    I saw a Blackberry user give his credit card to a waiter at a restaurant to settle his bill. His credit card must be BES protected as well.
    10-25-15 09:54 AM
    And then it would get patched and things would be fine. Windows has always had vulnerabilities, but the world hasn't stopped using it. It's not like individuals and companies are falling left and right due to security breaches despite the millions of Android, Windows, etc. devices out there. Did everyone stop using credit cards or store memberships after the Target fiasco?

Posted via CB10
    I did stop using my Target card when our checking acct was compromised. And we don't use Google Chrome on our laptop and have installed Duck Duck Go. And installed Norton Virus. With the Windows PC, most users r aware of the vulnerabilities and take precautions to protect themselves. I don't see this with their phones.

Posted via Classic
    Batibreaker likes this.
    10-25-15 09:57 AM
    You have a BES Server at home? Sweet
    This is a discussion forum amongst fellow Crackberrians, where my son goes to and read. Let's be civil, polite and respectful of one another. Have a good day.

Posted via Classic
    techguy1 likes this.
    10-25-15 10:00 AM
    I'm about to text my wife I'll be late for dinner. Is it safe or should I go to a phone booth?
    That depends on how much you love your wife, how late you're going to be and what's for dinner...
    So the decision, like your security is up to you.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-25-15 10:03 AM
    This is a discussion forum amongst fellow Crackberrians, where my son goes to and read. Let's be civil, polite and respectful of one another. Have a good day.

Posted via Classic
    I'll be polite then. Do you have a BES Server at home?
    Batibreaker likes this.
    10-25-15 10:07 AM
244 123 ...