a good camera on a phone will always be valued because of the way you can send it to friends and loved ones. Add them on facebook. No camera can do that .. better then a phone. (smart phone)
    07-05-10 03:05 PM
    a good camera on a phone will always be valued because of the way you can send it to friends and loved ones. Add them on facebook. No camera can do that .. better then a phone. (smart phone)
    I'd rather use my computer to email pictures to family or friends. I guess if
    you want to use a phone, fine for you but not for everyone.
    07-05-10 03:20 PM
    There is little need for that many pixels on a camera with zero optical quality. You want a camera, get a camera with a real lens, real optics. More MP just means your pictures take up more room on your memory card, but at a certain point your glass (can we really call it that on a cell phone) just can't TAKE better pictures, no matter how many pixels you cram behind it.
    This. Besides, what's the point of having so many pixels on It if there's no optical zoom? I like the camera on my 9700, though. For a phone, it takes pretty great pics, so I'm happy. Besides, I've got a camera for other things, anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-10 03:26 PM
    I'll say it again just in case yo missed it the first time.

The 9800 will be released with a 5 megapixel camera.

Phone cameras work well enough in a well lit environment. If you try to use a phone camera (regardless of the pixel density) in a poor lighting environment you will see photos having poor contrast making the pictures look flat.

This is purely due to the small lens not being able to gather enough light for the sensor to work properly.
    07-05-10 03:29 PM
    Does no one understand that a camera, no matter the format, is only as good
    as the optics it employs. NO CAMERA PHONE will ever, regardless of MPs, be up to
    the task of a decent camera.
    x2
    well said
    07-08-10 08:28 AM
    Every other competitive smartphone on the market has a camera better than BB's. What's wrong with the poster wondering whenn RIM will catch up? If RIM itself keeps claiming they're just for business users, you should be happy with your camera now, etc. they will be in trouble down the road.

07-08-10 08:40 AM
    Every other competitive smartphone on the market has a camera better than BB's. What's wrong with the poster wondering whenn RIM will catch up? If RIM itself keeps claiming they're just for business users, you should be happy with your camera now, etc. they will be in trouble down the road.

No. Every other phone has higher pixel count. It has been said, it's not the pixel count, it's the optics. I have a good quality 3MP camera that takes better picture than my cheap 5MP one.

And to email or post on Facebook, or even to print 4X6, you don't need anywhere near that resolution.
    07-08-10 10:56 AM
    No. Every other phone has higher pixel count. It has been said, it's not the pixel count, it's the optics. I have a good quality 3MP camera that takes better picture than my cheap 5MP one.

And to email or post on Facebook, or even to print 4X6, you don't need anywhere near that resolution.
    The Droid Inc's 5MP takes much better pictures than the Storms...I get your point but if users are looking for better cameras, it's too typical of RIM to say "you only need 3" as everyone runs to Android...
    07-08-10 11:27 AM
    RIM next generation of devices will have 5 MPs, and the current ones with 3.2 take good enough shots FOR A PHONE! What are you looking for Ansel Adams?
    07-08-10 11:34 AM
    I thought the slider was going to have around five but may be wrong.
    07-08-10 11:47 AM
    I bought a 13MP camera with a good lens, it cost $200. I would be hard pressed to come up with a reason to use a 5MP camera. That is just so old.
    Agreed. And to the point about MP...my first digital cam (and only until 2 weeks ago) was a 2MP olympus ultra zoom. It worked great, took decent pics, and we could even get fairly decent 8x10s out of a well focused shot.

Then, based on a friend's rec and the fact that our olympus died, we got a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7. 12mp. Tons of features. And a killer Intelligent Auto mode (oh, and 720p AVCHD Lite HD Video).

This cam (purchased for about $250 on discount), takes fantastic pics. No phone I know of could take pics like this.
    07-08-10 11:48 AM
    I'll say it again just in case yo missed it the first time.

The 9800 will be released with a 5 megapixel camera.

Phone cameras work well enough in a well lit environment. If you try to use a phone camera (regardless of the pixel density) in a poor lighting environment you will see photos having poor contrast making the pictures look flat.

This is purely due to the small lens not being able to gather enough light for the sensor to work properly.

Did you miss it the first time, and the second time too?? How many times
    will you ignore that the OP's question is already answered, in your attempt
    to keep harping on your point that RIM is going to be in trouble?

jetman, do you actually try to help anyone here on CB, or do you just look
    for any thread to turn into a "RIM needs to catch up, RIM will be in trouble,
    RIM not as good as everybody else", etc. type of bash?
    07-08-10 01:07 PM
    RIM next generation of devices will have 5 MPs, and the current ones with 3.2 take good enough shots FOR A PHONE! What are you looking for Ansel Adams?
    LOL, Ansel Adams! Right here on CB??
    07-08-10 01:45 PM
    Did you miss it the first time, and the second time too?? How many times
    will you ignore that the OP's question is already answered, in your attempt
    to keep harping on your point that RIM is going to be in trouble?

jetman, do you actually try to help anyone here on CB, or do you just look
    for any thread to turn into a "RIM needs to catch up, RIM will be in trouble,
    RIM not as good as everybody else", etc. type of bash?
    Wow, one RIM device is getting a 5MP camera. Finally! Seems like everyone else is missing the point as well, jumping to say their 1.3MP is just fine LOL

I've been a member of the Storm1 forum for years now. On this forum, where the blind RIM supporters run free, most of my posts are anti-BB.

I wonder how long...until a front facing camera? 2 years?
    07-08-10 01:50 PM
    Wow, one RIM device is getting a 5MP camera. Finally! Seems like everyone else is missing the point as well, jumping to say their 1.3MP is just fine LOL

I've been a member of the Storm1 forum for years now. On this forum, where the blind RIM supporters run free, most of my posts are anti-BB.
    And you seem to miss the point that megapixels are nothing short of a marketing gimmick on a cellular device with such a tiny lens. Only suckers are impressed by 8mp cameras on a phone. My Storm takes terrific pictures for what it is.

Oh, and do you want a medal for being anti-BB? You really are going against the grain here� I'm impressed at your individuality.

07-08-10 02:57 PM
    Has anybody else cared to note that:
    1. the only diffewrence between a smartpgone with a 3.2mp camera and one with a 8mp camera is that you can zoom in 100 - 1000x times on the 8mp picture while only maybe 10x on the 3.2, assuming perfect focus?
    2. a 2mp camera has almost the exact same resolution as your brand spanking new 1080i HD television?
    07-09-10 01:11 AM
    Research in Motion has been working against the usual trends and has finally come up with a new form factor for one of its upcoming Blackberry smartphone – the Blackberry 9670 which is not a clamshell beauty like most of the Blackberry phones.
    Rather, RIM has cast its new Blackberry OS 6 enabled phone in a flip-out form factor with dual displays and a QWERTY keypad on the inside. The device itself looks beautiful and has an enticing form factor with a black chrome body finish.
    Yes, the Blackberry 9670 features two displays - the primary display on the inside of the flap with a screen resolution of 480�360 pixels and a secondary display on the face of the flap that displays message notifications and multimedia information.
    Supposedly, the secondary display is a touch screen type unlike the primary one. A quick look at the Blackberry 9670 specs (as revealed) suggests a 5 mega pixel auto focus camera presumably with a LED flash, a QWERTY keypad flanked by an optical trackpad, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity and even more.

Featured : RIM Blackberry 9670
    07-09-10 02:11 AM
    ...we got a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7. 12mp. Tons of features. And a killer Intelligent Auto mode (oh, and 720p AVCHD Lite HD Video).

This cam (purchased for about $250 on discount), takes fantastic pics. No phone I know of could take pics like this.
    I've got a Lumix as well. ( TZ5 9.1mp)
    Yes it's an amazing camera. Works so well, it makes me look like a better photographer.
    But the fact is, I rarely carry it with me. My Blackberry is always with me.
    That's why so many people want a good camera on their phone... because the best camera you have, is the one you have with you.

BB has been steadily improving the camera on their phones. I don't see that trend changing. I'm betting the new 5mp camera has more mega pixels and better lens/sensor.
    07-09-10 02:44 AM
    There is little need for that many pixels on a camera with zero optical quality. You want a camera, get a camera with a real lens, real optics. More MP just means your pictures take up more room on your memory card, but at a certain point your glass (can we really call it that on a cell phone) just can't TAKE better pictures, no matter how many pixels you cram behind it.
    Well said!
    07-09-10 06:49 AM
    I hope it comes personally. Im not a photographer and dont want to carry a camera around. but for those moments you just want to get a picture of somethings or with someone. i high mp camera on my BB would suffice.

Obviously much more important events i would not want to take on my phone, but for the everyday random picture moments.
    07-09-10 06:54 AM
    And you seem to miss the point that megapixels are nothing short of a marketing gimmick on a cellular device with such a tiny lens. Only suckers are impressed by 8mp cameras on a phone. My Storm takes terrific pictures for what it is.

Oh, and do you want a medal for being anti-BB? You really are going against the grain here� I'm impressed at your individuality.

Typical personal attack guy...listen, maybe you mis-read, I don't care which forums I'm positive or negative, I was just replying to what the guy said.

I don't care too much for MPs...and phone cameras will never be the same as a standalone model...but some of the cameras on other phones are incredible, while BB's are still lagging, as they are in every area but messaging, OS simplicity, and battery life.
    07-09-10 09:40 AM
    Typical personal attack guy...
    I don't suppose "blind RIM supporter" is meant to be taken as a compliment.

I don't care too much for MPs...
    The Droid Inc's 5MP takes much better pictures than the Storms...I get your point but if users are looking for better cameras, it's too typical of RIM to say "you only need 3" as everyone runs to Android...
    That's a lot of self-contradictions for one post...
    07-09-10 04:23 PM
    I try not to get too caught up in MP. People are getting caught up in numbers. The higher the number, the better the product.
    I have a 3 MP camera with a German lens that will run circles around my 12 MP camera. Having more MP doesn't necessarily mean better pictures. The lens quality should be the most important aspect.

07-09-10 05:56 PM
    My MPs are bigger than yours. I'm more specialer....

Honestly, you need a good lens. Look at all the movies and things recorded with the iPhone. Yes the iPhone camera is very good, but the extended lens is what makes those shots they take incredible. And the picture quality is really measured by how well the photographer is.

07-09-10 06:19 PM
    That's a lot of self-contradictions for one post...
    Whatever is better about the other cameras...MP, lens, whatever...it's better than BB at this point.
    07-10-10 10:40 AM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD