I've held off asking this question but I figure might as well give it a shot now.

On most other WiFi networks my 9700 is fine. It connects pretty fast and there's no abnormal data usage or battery drain.

But in the basement of one of the buildings at school, I have no T-Mobile service. When it connects the WiFi network, data is being constantly being pegged, i.e, the little data arrows never go away, the phone gets pretty warm and battery gets drained.

Also, somehow, the WiFi symbol turns full white (rather than greyed out), despite the fact there is no mobile service and it is not connected to BIS.

It's an open network with a one-time "hotspot" device registration the first time you login.

iPhone and Android phones work fine with the WiFi in this particular portion of campus with no abnormal battery drain.
    03-23-10 08:07 PM
    It's possible that the phone and whatever type of connection the school's WiFi
    network is don't get along.

My friend goes to CSULB and was telling me the same thing. He has a class in a
    very bad signal area for T-Mobile and asked me the other day about why the WiFi
    wouldn't hold a connection. I lent him my iPhone eventhough all he was going to
    get was data. He told me it worked fine. I came to the conclusion that the network
    and phone probably just don't get along. Granted, he's on a Bold 9000 but it's
    pretty much the same situation.
    03-23-10 08:13 PM
    Yeah, probably. I don't get UMA even when I do have service, but when I don't have service it just kills the battery like no other. Wish there was a way to bypass it.
    03-24-10 02:10 AM
    Yeah, probably. I don't get UMA even when I do have service, but when I don't have service it just kills the battery like no other. Wish there was a way to bypass it.
    Just go into manage connections and change preferred connection from wifi to 2G or 3G.
    03-24-10 06:34 PM
    thats what it sounds like. the phone cant get a good signal so it keeps searching.
    that will = battery drain
    03-25-10 10:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD