Remember back last September or so, when we had full IMAP instant push with our Gmail accounts? It was bliss for about a month, and then out of nowhere, it was gone. We've been back to getting emails sent to our devices about every 15 minutes. I'm sick of it. I want it back.

When are they going to fix this? Any work arounds?
    01-21-09 09:18 PM
    Try deleting your gmail account from the BlackBerry and add it again. Mine gmail IMAP account has been consistently pushed nearly immediately with rare glitches since I got my 'Berry a couple of months ago. Synchronization/reconciliation could be improved as has been discussed many times on this site, but gmail definitely doesn't require RIM to do 15 minute polling.
    01-22-09 09:33 AM
    I haven't had any problems since I got my berry a year ago. I've been getting my gmail instantly on my phone and then about a minute or two later it will show up in my inbox on gmail.

If I'm not mistaken there are setting with gmail that allow for the imap. you might wanna check your setting there too
    01-22-09 09:44 AM
    I haven't had any problems with this either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 09:46 AM
    Ditto, and I don't even bother with IMAP; works fine without the added complication.
    01-22-09 10:00 AM
    Remember back last September or so, when we had full IMAP instant push with our Gmail accounts? It was bliss for about a month, and then out of nowhere, it was gone. We've been back to getting emails sent to our devices about every 15 minutes. I'm sick of it. I want it back.

When are they going to fix this? Any work arounds?
    Interesting. I have no clue what you're talking about. I've had my bb for more than a year and my gmail linked account has been almost instant to this day. I don't know what to tell you but I haven't experienced this 15 minute interval problem.

01-23-09 09:45 AM
    I must agree I have never had a prob with gmail unless of course there was an outage or wher my data connection was unavail. However my comcast acct always has a delay on receive but I undrsatnd this is comcast related.

01-23-09 09:48 AM
    You guys need to remember that there is a BIG difference between POP and IMAP. Yes, if you have your Gmail set up with POP, you will get instant emails. But... you dont get the sync capabilities back and forth that you do with IMAP. Some people think it is efficient to just get a copy of their email on their device, whether they're received it or deleted it or not from their computer. The rest of us know this is not efficient, and strive to get IMAP working on our devices. Those folks that have had IMAP know what I'm talking about. POP guys don't get it because you're getting it instantly, but you're taking two steps back in the process.

Bottom line: Gmail and RIM need to get push back with IMAP.
    01-23-09 09:56 AM
    I do get it, I just don't agree that in my case it's an issue. The deleted mails sync up perfectly in POP. The read indicator I don't care about, I just archive all the copies on the server anyway. I appreciate you're frustrated, but that's no reason to dismiss my perspective.
    01-23-09 10:08 AM
    my gmail is instant push also, but not if i use the setup on the phone. For my curve I just followed the IMAP instructions on the google help site for setting up IMAP, on the storm it seemed a bit different, and I found a thread here on the forums with instructions for setting it up.

e-mail setup app = not instant
    "work around" setup = instant

At least that's been my experience so far.
    01-23-09 10:10 AM
    I do get it, I just don't agree that in my case it's an issue. The deleted mails sync up perfectly in POP. The read indicator I don't care about, I just archive all the copies on the server anyway. I appreciate you're frustrated, but that's no reason to dismiss my perspective.
    Really? If you delete an email in Outlook or on Gmail's web site, it deletes it from your BB? What about if you delete an email from your BB. Does it delete it from the inbox of Outlook or the Gmail web site? How about when you send an email from your BB. Does it put it in your "All mail" folder, so you have a backup of sent message?

Why on earth would someone want to even go through hassle of setting up IMAP, if POP does it all and with instant push? Am I missing something?
    01-23-09 07:01 PM
    my gmail is instant push also, but not if i use the setup on the phone. For my curve I just followed the IMAP instructions on the google help site for setting up IMAP, on the storm it seemed a bit different, and I found a thread here on the forums with instructions for setting it up.

e-mail setup app = not instant
    "work around" setup = instant

At least that's been my experience so far.

Do you mind doing a few tests sometime to verify that it actually is instant push for you? The reason I ask, is that sometimes it may appear to be pushed, but it is actually just sending mail on a more regular basis because you recently sent or received an email. For example, if you reply to an email, your phone is more likely to receive a new message more quickly than if you had not just replied to an email. It could be that you're sitting at your computer and sending an email to your phone, and it gets there right away, but it did because you recently replied to another email just prior. I'm sure my explanation is a bit confusing, but the bottom line is that I called RIM tech support to complain about this issue a while back, and they explained to me the frequency that it basically polls for new emails and how it increases if you are actually using your email. That doesn't help me, however, if I haven't received an email in the last hour, and now somebody sends me an email and I have to wait 15 minutes before my phone tells me I have a new email, but yet I could see it in Outlook if I checked.

The whole thing is frustrating, and there was a time last year where it worked flawlessly. We were all on here complaining about how it was working great, and then they took it away.
    01-23-09 07:05 PM
    Except for the Outlook part (never used it). I use the BB and the Gmail interface, that's it. The only no is if I delete from gmail, it doesn't take off the BB but if I delete from BB it comes off gmail. All sent stuff is archived perfectly.

01-23-09 07:07 PM
    I just set up my imap with the IT guys and I have had it instantly ever since.

01-23-09 07:49 PM
    Hmm.. Mine takes sometimes 15 min and sometimes only 5, but its never instant. I thought to that something had changed between rim and gmail and that rim checked gmail every 15 min. Do i need to redo my gmail account?
    01-23-09 07:52 PM
    My gmail is instant and I have IMAP turned on.
    01-23-09 08:00 PM
    You guys need to remember that there is a BIG difference between POP and IMAP. Yes, if you have your Gmail set up with POP, you will get instant emails. But... you dont get the sync capabilities back and forth that you do with IMAP. Some people think it is efficient to just get a copy of their email on their device, whether they're received it or deleted it or not from their computer. The rest of us know this is not efficient, and strive to get IMAP working on our devices. Those folks that have had IMAP know what I'm talking about. POP guys don't get it because you're getting it instantly, but you're taking two steps back in the process.

Bottom line: Gmail and RIM need to get push back with IMAP.
    Dont kno if I have it set 2 IMAP but I sent an email gmail got it immed on my BB. Deleted it on handheld and server( one of the options on delete) went to my gmail on the PC and the email was deleted

01-23-09 10:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD