Hey,

I read somewhere that they started outsourcing in 2012 to the Taiwanese the company Foxconn. Was this the first time or did they start before?

Which company(s) actually made the Dtek50 and Dtek60?
    03-17-17 04:42 PM
    TCL makes the dteks. They are modified versions of the alcatel idol 4 and 4s.
    03-17-17 04:45 PM
    Define outsourcing? They had a manufacturing facility in Canada, but I believe that's the only one they owned.

I believe Bla1ze has a made in Canada passport??? But they would have outsourced most to a contract manufacturer for years.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 05:22 PM
    Define outsourcing? They had a manufacturing facility in Canada, but I believe that's the only one they owned.

I believe Bla1ze has a made in Canada passport??? But they would have outsourced most to a contract manufacturer for years.

Posted via CB10
    They had a facilities in Mexico too.
    03-17-17 05:23 PM
    They had a facilities in Mexico too.
    But did they own those facilities?

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 05:23 PM
    But did they own those facilities?

Posted via CB10
    I believe so, but I'm probably wrong on that.
    03-17-17 05:26 PM
    Alright I did some "research", aka Google search. Well according to CrackBerry's own Chris Umi, based only on this article, the facility in Ontario was used for New Product Introduction manufacturing and owned by BlackBerry.

They like many companies used contract manufacturers.

http://m.crackberry.com/rim-consolid...-blackberry-10

Posted via CB10
    mrfreeze likes this.
    03-17-17 05:35 PM
    I believe so, but I'm probably wrong on that.
    I think those were Wistron.
    03-17-17 05:50 PM
    TCL makes the dteks. They are modified versions of the alcatel idol 4 and 4s.
    I thought so.

There are people within this huge forum who were saying that the Dteks were built from scratch. But they are clearly the alcatel idols.

Thanks for the clarification.
    03-17-17 06:21 PM
    The fact that they have been outsourcing for years shows the genius of Lazaridis and Balsille. They outsourced years ago, or thought of the idea.

Since TCL made the 50 and 60, was the "big" announcement in September genuine? To me they used the 50 and 60 as a "tester" to see if they could work with TCL to be their "main" partner.
    03-17-17 06:25 PM
    Jabil made BlackBerry phones for a long time. In fact that might have been their largest customer for a while.
    03-17-17 07:19 PM
    The fact that they have been outsourcing for years shows the genius of Lazaridis and Balsille. They outsourced years ago, or thought of the idea.

Since TCL made the 50 and 60, was the "big" announcement in September genuine? To me they used the 50 and 60 as a "tester" to see if they could work with TCL to be their "main" partner.
    They never thought of the idea. Outsourcing has been going on for decades. The fact that there were contract manufacturers available to BlackBerry demonstrates that they didn't think of the idea.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-17 07:51 PM
    BB started outsourcing manufacturing in 2004, but I'm not clear on who the contract manufacturer(s) were. By at least 2008, Jabil Circuit was the primary (and perhaps exclusive) contract manufacturer for phones, and made everything that didn't come from the small facility in Waterloo where prototyping and pre-production phones were made (and where standard manufacturing was done on a small scale when available).

The Playbook, just like the Amazon Fire tablet, was based on a reference design from Quanta Computer, a big contract manufacturer that's made products for Apple, HP, Dell, LG, and many others (they're the biggest manufacturer of notebooks in the world).

Jabil's contract with BB ended upon completion of the Z30 production run in October of 2013. Subsequent BB10 phones were made by Wistron and Foxconn, and then of course, TCL came in with the DTEKs and now the K1.
    Ronindan likes this.
    03-17-17 08:06 PM
    They never thought of the idea. Outsourcing has been going on for decades. The fact that there were contract manufacturers available to BlackBerry demonstrates that they didn't think of the idea.
    The Atari 2600 (released in September 1977) was manufactured by Foxconn (Hon Hai) from late 1978 onward, so obviously the concept has been with us a while.
    app_Developer likes this.
    03-17-17 08:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    Get a third party to actually make the phones
    03-18-17 07:32 AM
    BB started outsourcing manufacturing in 2004, but I'm not clear on who the contract manufacturer(s) were. By at least 2008, Jabil Circuit was the primary (and perhaps exclusive) contract manufacturer for phones, and made everything that didn't come from the small facility in Waterloo where prototyping and pre-production phones were made (and where standard manufacturing was done on a small scale when available).

The Playbook, just like the Amazon Fire tablet, was based on a reference design from Quanta Computer, a big contract manufacturer that's made products for Apple, HP, Dell, LG, and many others (they're the biggest manufacturer of notebooks in the world).

Jabil's contract with BB ended upon completion of the Z30 production run in October of 2013. Subsequent BB10 phones were made by Wistron and Foxconn, and then of course, TCL came in with the DTEKs and now the K1.
    Troy this is brilliant. Thank you, very insightful!!
    03-18-17 07:58 AM
    OP prison or coma?
    03-18-17 10:38 AM
    Here's an article that talked a bit about some of the contract manufacturers that BB has had over the years:

Research In Motion consolidating manufacturing in the shift towards BlackBerry 10 | CrackBerry.com
    ikeloyalBB and BigBadWulf like this.
    03-18-17 06:40 PM

There's a big difference between a couple production runs, modifying existing product, and a licensing contract to manufacture unique phones under a new division. Yes, I believe it is genuine.
    03-19-17 12:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    Made in Canada sounds really cool.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-17 08:21 AM
    Did RIM/BlackBerry ever manufacture a phone in house?
    03-19-17 01:20 PM
    Did RIM/BlackBerry ever manufacture a phone in house?
    They had one plant in Waterloo, but that was for prototypes and limited runs. More substantive phone releases required third-party sourcing.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-19-17 01:21 PM
    Even Apple, with all its resources, outsources phone production. Other than Samsung, I'm not sure anyone manufactures in house.
    03-19-17 01:30 PM
    Arguably, a small collector's item.

When did RIM/BlackBerry start outsourcing hardware?-20170319_161633.jpg
    A factory unlocked, unbranded AT&T BlackBerry Passport from the lines in Waterloo.
    BigBadWulf, jope28 and stlabrat like this.
    03-19-17 02:18 PM

Funny though... my other Z10 you'd think would have been made in Canaduh, isn't.

03-19-17 04:34 PM
28 12