Really... WTF? It's almost 2010 RIM... wake the f*** up and take the limits off your servers. Geez!

BTW, I'm taking orders if anyone wants a T-Shirt. RIM employees get a discount.

Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 10-16-09 at 12:02 AM.
    10-15-09 11:43 PM
    yea logging into my email is a pain specially the school ones, at least my name is short my other firends have some long names
    10-16-09 12:06 AM
    What are truncated emails? I get a lot from my company, many pages and nothing is ever truncated.
    10-16-09 12:14 AM
    By the sounds of the second post, they may be talking about email ADDRESSES. But since the first posy is totally cryptic and explains not too darn much, I can only guess here.
    10-16-09 06:02 AM
    OS 5? That's been happening on it. Never had it happen before that, even with pictures attached.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-09 06:06 AM
    I'm guessing it happens when an e-mail is so large that it's not going to push to your BB effectively. It's happened to me a couple of times, and I've never found it to be a big deal as it's usually some stupid forward someone sends me with a large video file or something...
    10-16-09 07:21 AM
    Wow, I thought by posting this in the General BB forum that there would be more views and input in the matter. With the exception of elvin1983, it seems I've hit a subforum that's... clueless.

I'm actually surprised a lot of you haven't run into this. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that those of you that posted here with that confused look on your face either only still do TEXT based emails from your BIS/BES or flat out don't get large emails. The email also don't have to have huge attachments, but to think that some of you don't get emails long enough to see the "Email Truncated xxxx bytes" is out of this world. I get at least one or two a week, if not more.
    10-16-09 09:13 AM
    I see that email truncated message for a second before the rest of the email pops up. I personally want a limit since I do get emails that will occasionally crush my phone (haven't met a phone that doesn't get crushed by emails with 100 meg attachments). Really wish people would learn proper email etiquette and not send large project files via email.

If you only get a limited number of emails, a larger size would not be a problem. If you are receiving a large volume of emails on your phone, the smaller size should be just fine. It doesn't take that long to download the rest and saves room on your phone for other things.
    10-16-09 09:39 AM
    Two things... email attachments size etiquette should be on your email admin. No one should be allowed to email things within a corporation that's 100MB large. Put the isht on the server where it belongs.

The other... there is no option to get the rest of the email. It's trucated... that's it, no more. It's a big FU from RIM on my BIS attached device.
    On the first, couldn't agree more.

on The other, I experience the same crap with truncated emails daily, forcing me to move my fat *** to my desktop to read the whole mail (which can be inconvenient, particularly if I'm taking a break at Starbucks or doing something similarly important.)

Couldn't agree more with the OP.. this needs to be resolved.
    Last edited by jlsparks; 10-16-09 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Must be Friday.
    10-16-09 09:58 AM
    Wow, I thought by posting this in the General BB forum that there would be more views and input in the matter. With the exception of elvin1983, it seems I've hit a subforum that's... clueless.

I'm actually surprised a lot of you haven't run into this. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that those of you that posted here with that confused look on your face either only still do TEXT based emails from your BIS/BES or flat out don't get large emails. The email also don't have to have huge attachments, but to think that some of you don't get emails long enough to see the "Email Truncated xxxx bytes" is out of this world. I get at least one or two a week, if not more.
    Ah, I see, fortunately I'm not confused or clueless, you just don't seem to really get the idea of posting descriptive information.

I don't really see this as a problem though, it downloads so fast it's a non issue. I get huge emails all the time at work and they just zip in. And once they're there, it's all good anyhow.
    10-16-09 10:02 AM
    Hate to keep ranting by using the iPhone excuse, but the iPhone doesn't seem to have an issue with large emails.
    If you absolutely have to get e-mails on your phone that are so big they're truncated through BIS, and the iPhone seems to handle them without truncation, then it's obvious you're either Doing It Wrong (i.e. you need to get a desktop for those e-mails) or you haven't done a proper needs assessment. Get an iPhone to solve your problem.
    10-16-09 10:16 AM
    Two things... email attachments size etiquette should be on your email admin. No one should be allowed to email things within a corporation that's 100MB large. Put the isht on the server where it belongs. Besides, we wouldn't have a problem with 100MB emails if RIM would put right right amout of app memory in the phone (as in over 1GB). Hate to keep ranting by using the iPhone excuse, but the iPhone doesn't seem to have an issue with large emails.

The other... there is no option to get the rest of the email. It's trucated... that's it, no more. It's a big FU from RIM on my BIS attached device.
    On the first, couldn't agree more.

on The other, I experience the same crap with truncated emails daily, forcing me to move my fat *** to my desktop to read the whole mail (which can be inconvenient, particularly if I'm taking a break at Starbucks or doing something similarly important.)

Couldn't agree more with the OP.. this needs to be resolved.
    I also agree, they should put more memory onto the devices from the get go... at the minimum 1gb of available device memory.

As far as the Trunctuated e-mails, while it is annoying, it doesn't bother me as much as some, since I usually can assume it's a forward from a friend that's just too damn big to push over to my BB. Do you think that it's as much of a device issue or is it more of a network issue? It seems that the message is trunctuated from RIM, not by your individual device. Do you think it may have something to do with RIM's servers having a cutoff point as to the size of the message to be sent?

I think that this trunctiating of the e-mails is not an issue of e-mail length (text in body of message) and more of size of attachment. an e-mail with a 12mb attachment is a little much to be pushed to your BB IMO, but I understand the frustration.

I don't load video attachments (usually the largest ones) on my BB when I recieve them, just too much of a hassle to do so in my mind, so I just wait till i'm on my laptop and can watch them there. However, are you having issues with the messages truncating due to attachments like Word/Excel? Like business documents?
    10-16-09 10:18 AM
    If you absolutely have to get e-mails on your phone that are so big they're truncated through BIS, and the iPhone seems to handle them without truncation, then it's obvious you're either Doing It Wrong (i.e. you need to get a desktop for those e-mails).
    And that's what the issue is... where as your BlackBerry thru BIS is getting the messages converted (slightly) from their original form in your physical inbox and fired over to your device, RIM's servers must have a pre-set cutoff point to how large an e-mail they are willing to fire over to you.
    I've never played with the iPhone's e-mail application, but I assume that when you open the app it pulls your inbox information off of your e-mail client's severs directly, without a 3rd party (RIM) physically prosessing and transmitting that information to you. That's why it wouldn't have a problem loading the messages, you're going and uploading them to your phone, no intermediate server attached... It's like you're logging onto your e-mail from your desktop or laptop.

I use Gmail, and I would assume that if I recieved a message that had ben trunctiated due to size, I could open my browser, log into my g-mail inbox THRU my browser on the Gmail mobile website, open the same message, and download the attachment that RIM's servers wouldn't push directly to my device.
    10-16-09 10:27 AM
    Yep, you still don't get it. I'm not talking about auto-download-more. I'm talking about EMAIL TRUNCATED XXXX BYTES being at the bottom of your email and you can't do isht about it.

Guess what, you don't know what the OP meant because you haven't seen this... that's why you don't get it. Trust me, people get it... check the poster above you.
    You're right, I don't get it. All I ever see is the download more and I've gotten emails that are really huge. Never had a problem before. What's the threshold?
    10-16-09 10:34 AM

Insulting the people you're trying to discuss something with...now that's an interesting approach!
    10-16-09 10:47 AM
    I think that this trunctiating of the e-mails is not an issue of e-mail length (text in body of message) and more of size of attachment. an e-mail with a 12mb attachment is a little much to be pushed to your BB IMO, but I understand the frustration.
    If that's the case, why not strip the attachment instead of truncating the body of the email and leaving the attachment in place.

And that's what the issue is... where as your BlackBerry thru BIS is getting the messages converted (slightly) from their original form in your physical inbox and fired over to your device, RIM's servers must have a pre-set cutoff point to how large an e-mail they are willing to fire over to you.
    I've never played with the iPhone's e-mail application, but I assume that when you open the app it pulls your inbox information off of your e-mail client's severs directly, without a 3rd party (RIM) physically prosessing and transmitting that information to you. That's why it wouldn't have a problem loading the messages, you're going and uploading them to your phone, no intermediate server attached... It's like you're logging onto your e-mail from your desktop or laptop.

I use Gmail, and I would assume that if I recieved a message that had ben trunctiated due to size, I could open my browser, log into my g-mail inbox THRU my browser on the Gmail mobile website, open the same message, and download the attachment that RIM's servers wouldn't push directly to my device.
    Right on the money! You totally grasp the issue my friend.

Also, it's not like I don't have a laptop or PC , it's that if I'm out and about and I get an email with a bunch of info like a quote or line installs for clients, it would be nice to be able to take that entire email and forward it on to others without the fact that it has important info cut off on it. In my field, there is no 9-5 work day. I work pretty much 24x7, so when something comes in, I might be in bed, out on the town, whatever... I have to be able to quickly turn around and do my job. The BB platform is hindering this ability.... that being said (to satisfy Mr. Tim's blinder effect) I'm not leaving Verizon (because of their service footprint) and last time I checked, they don't offer the iPhone. There are other options available from them, but none of them work for me and for my needs. WinMo devices from them are currently kind of a joke. I'll be evaluating the Android market once that opens up on VZW this winter, but regardless of all of that, RIM needs to step up already.
    10-16-09 12:05 PM
    If that's the case, why not strip the attachment instead of truncating the body of the email and leaving the attachment in place.
    This idea makes alot of sense, not sure if they would be able to implement it, but it brings up an interesting point! I just don't know if the servers would be able to seperate the attachment from the e-mail, but it'd be nice if it could!

So, whenever you get an e-mail sent to your BB and it says that it's trunctiated due to size, when you check it on your physical inbox, is it always an e-mail with an attachment, or is it just an e-mail with alot of text associated with it?
    10-16-09 01:14 PM
    If you are getting the email truncated message and you can't do anything about it, that means the original email is no longer available to the BIS server to do anything with it. Did a desktop mail program download it and remove it from the server?
    10-16-09 01:56 PM
    Wait.

Are you using an @...blackberry.net e-mail address, and e-mails to that address are being truncated if they're too big? Or another e-mail address?
    10-16-09 02:07 PM
    This idea makes alot of sense, not sure if they would be able to implement it, but it brings up an interesting point! I just don't know if the servers would be able to seperate the attachment from the e-mail, but it'd be nice if it could!

So, whenever you get an e-mail sent to your BB and it says that it's trunctiated due to size, when you check it on your physical inbox, is it always an e-mail with an attachment, or is it just an e-mail with alot of text associated with it?
    No, it can be a plain HTML email (just with lots of info in it), or even a TEXT based email with a bunch of stuff on it (T1 activations, etc.) and it'll truncate them. They don't have to have attachements on them.

If you are getting the email truncated message and you can't do anything about it, that means the original email is no longer available to the BIS server to do anything with it. Did a desktop mail program download it and remove it from the server?
    Wrong... If this was the case, the email would turn to a red X on the BB and the header would indiate "Couldn't Send More Message".

Wait.

Are you using an @...blackberry.net e-mail address, and e-mails to that address are being truncated if they're too big? Or another e-mail address?
    No, this is not with a blackberry.net account. (Does anyone even use those anymore? ) The issues is also not related to what type of email account it is. The defining difference is BIS vs BES (if BES has been set to allow larger emails).
    10-16-09 03:28 PM
    There's an easy way around this. All you have to do is f

Response Truncated 9114 bytes
    10-16-09 03:34 PM
    I am in complete agreement with this and the groundwork as to why has
    already been pointed out by the OP. This isn't 2002 anymore. My iPhone
    can get the whole stupid email. My Blackberry should be able to now as well.
    10-16-09 03:35 PM
    I've been seeing this same issue since upgrading to 5.0, however, it's only with junk mail that contains HTML email with lots of graphics etc, so it didn't really bother me. But I can confirm the issue.

For example, an email from 'Northern Tool' (bought one item there a while back and get their mail all the time now, I know, I can unsubscribe) which is truncated at 22141 bytes, this is an HTML email.
    10-16-09 03:44 PM
    There's an easy way around this. All you have to do is f

Response Truncated 9114 bytes
    Freakin AWESOME!!!!

Hey, in relation to this, I think I'm going to get in touch with Kevin and see if he can implement this on the WAP site here. For example, you won't be able to read anything but the OP and maybe 3 or 4 responces.... see how the CB community like that. You'll need to hit the full HTML site to read all the posts in a thread.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 10-16-09 at 05:12 PM.
    10-16-09 05:05 PM
    I still want to know what the threshold is. I guess I'll have to do a test.
    10-16-09 06:11 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD