There are many people who keep telling me that whatsapp is better than BBM. I just cannot see why or how. Perhaps fans of WhatsApp do let me know here how is it better.

To me I find WhatsApp complicated & takes many steps to do things. They also have less features too.

So hopefully we can have a civil discussion here on this.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 08:26 AM
    Aside from having a bigger installed user base and perhaps being a bit more convenient with it using phone numbers instead of pins I don't see it.

Where it fails, like most non BlackBerry mobile technology is a lack of security and privacy.

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 and TomTrocc like this.
    08-27-15 08:29 AM
    Isn't Better, just was MultiOS years before BBM, even works in symbian and others legacy OS for Low cost devices.

BBM become MultiOS to late, but is much better than WhatsApp.

BBM allow call and video calls first than WhatsApp.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 08:53 AM
    I currently don't have a blackberry. I use both on my Lumia/Note and BBM is a glitchy disaster. Whatsapp is extremely consistent and stable now. BBM drains more battery than Whatsapp on standby. BBM has so many issues with not pushing messages/lagging hard/"unknown errors" while sending pictures/etc. Otherwise they're extremely similar in functionality... so why bother with BBM, especially if it has less users? I used to curse Whatsapp's name when I was on BB6 because it was so crummy vs BBM - I didn't think BB would release such a temperamental app to other OSes in the future, truly. I was part of the BBM Beta, I was so excited to be able to use it again..

The PIN system is far superior to relying on phone number alone though. If BBM was more reliable/efficient, I'm certain that I could convince a lot more people to stick with it. But most people are satisfied with Whatsapp, since it came to their platform first, and BBM presents no real advantage to an ordinary consumer.
    08-27-15 09:10 AM
    Oh, another bash Whatsapp thread. BBM users are obviously an insecure lot.

By the way, no one I know uses BBM, most of them don't even know what BBM is, I wouldn't let my Z10 touch BB10 by a mile. Mostly, I use it to communicate with the rest of the world.
    08-27-15 09:17 AM
    I used both on Android. Sending photos with a weak mobile signal or Wifi is hit or miss on BBM. Call quality is good on both. BBM finally changed its antiquated design so both are now on the same level. I don't like PIN, I prefer the ease of connection with other users with WhatsApp. Privacy was never an issue with WhatsApp as I don't get unsolicited messages from people I don't know. I actually have gotten more spam messages from BBM, was getting one per week earlier this year but has since stopped.
    08-27-15 09:27 AM
    For my needs right now Whatsapp and BBM would be interchangeable. I have 3 discussion groups and a few 1-on-1s on Whatsapp. Mostly text and sometimes sending pictures or videos, so actually any messenger would be good for my needs. The thing is everybody here has whatsapp and my BBM has only 5 contacts. Even with people who have BBM, the conversations usually happen in whatsapp because chainging chats withing an app is easier than changing the app to BBM

Considering my needs are actually the needs of 90% of users, BBM and Whatsapp are pretty much the same. It just matters where your group of friends are.
    08-27-15 09:36 AM
    For me WhatsApp is more simple than BBM. WhastsApp doesn't need to register, just edit mobile number and next while BBM should use BlackBerry ID (email).

For communicating both are good, I like BBM in BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 09:54 AM
    A better question is why is BBM better than Whatsapp?
    08-27-15 10:19 AM
    I like BBM, but nobody in my social circle use it, only my Girlfriend but that's because we use Blend in our BB10 devices...

There is something annoying in BBM.. when I am in a chat window, for each message I receive there is a sound notification, there is any way to turn off this? I mean, when I am chatting in Whatsapp, if I am chatting, each message doesn't sound, it sounds only if I am not seeing the chat...

Saludos.

Posted via  Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2582
    08-27-15 10:43 AM
    I was pretty happy when BBM cane out with cross platform apps. After trying it though I gave up pretty quickly, I think of BBM as a first generation messaging tool, built around the way people used computers and phones when it came out. Things like Slack and probably Whatsapp are more second generation tools. The first difficulty I had with BBM was even getting the contact info into the system so I could send messages. The second and more serious problem was the device to device nature of the software. My wife for instance has two cell phones, an iPad and a computer. My assistant has a cell phone, an iPad and two computers (home and office). With Slack or for that matter iMessage as an example, I send a message to my assistant. It goes to all of her devices. With BBM I need to guess the screen that she is using as far as I can tell. Likewise, when she messages me. So the entire concept is really problematic.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-27-15 01:21 PM
    I currently don't have a blackberry. I use both on my Lumia/Note and BBM is a glitchy disaster. Whatsapp is extremely consistent and stable now. BBM drains more battery than Whatsapp on standby. BBM has so many issues with not pushing messages/lagging hard/"unknown errors" while sending pictures/etc. Otherwise they're extremely similar in functionality... so why bother with BBM, especially if it has less users? I used to curse Whatsapp's name when I was on BB6 because it was so crummy vs BBM - I didn't think BB would release such a temperamental app to other OSes in the future, truly. I was part of the BBM Beta, I was so excited to be able to use it again..

The PIN system is far superior to relying on phone number alone though. If BBM was more reliable/efficient, I'm certain that I could convince a lot more people to stick with it. But most people are satisfied with Whatsapp, since it came to their platform first, and BBM presents no real advantage to an ordinary consumer.
    Maybe you just suck as a sales person. Sorry to say. I have over 100+ bbm contact, a vast majority are BlackBerry and android users. I have a few ios and windows last. But for me BlackBerry Messenger is the best. Maybe try using it on a BlackBerry phone and see the differences if memory serves windows os was the last to receive bbm .

Send from the amazing powers of the  Z30
    08-27-15 04:08 PM
    BBM groups doesn't even have an option for sending videos.....its completely ridiculous. All my friends chose whatsapp specifically for that reason.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 04:11 PM
    I was pretty happy when BBM cane out with cross platform apps. After trying it though I gave up pretty quickly, I think of BBM as a first generation messaging tool, built around the way people used computers and phones when it came out. Things like Slack and probably Whatsapp are more second generation tools. The first difficulty I had with BBM was even getting the contact info into the system so I could send messages. The second and more serious problem was the device to device nature of the software. My wife for instance has two cell phones, an iPad and a computer. My assistant has a cell phone, an iPad and two computers (home and office). With Slack or for that matter iMessage as an example, I send a message to my assistant. It goes to all of her devices. With BBM I need to guess the screen that she is using as far as I can tell. Likewise, when she messages me. So the entire concept is really problematic.
    Sorry but I really don't see how hard it is to copy and paste someone's pin to add them. Also it even shows up in my contact who has bbm and I sent an invite. It also available through email and you can even just simply scan someone's pin code. I really! Don't see how hard this is to do. And also do u really want your message being sent to every device you have? Really? This is secure? To me it's better to only receive messages to the device I'm using at the time, that's just me.

08-27-15 04:13 PM
    I use both and I personally prefer BBM. I just prefer the looks for some reason and maybe it's because it is native to BlackBerry.

WhatsApp
    -------------------
    + Very stable on all platforms
    + Lots of emojis
    + Easier group chat setup and functionality
    + Widely established
    + Phone numbers (convenience)
    + Hold space for voice message

BBM
    --------------------
    + D/R indicators (I like them better than the WhatsApp check marks)
    + Design (personal preference)
    + Groups with lots of features
    + Glympse (one of the best features of BBM)
    + PIN (can add to privacy sometimes, stays the same with new phone nr.)
    + Pictures can be sent LQ and HQ
    + BBM Voice works great

- Still not as stable as WhatsApp
    - Windows Phone version is extremely bad
    - Voice messages are complicated and bad quality
    - Can be battery draining on Android
    - Small user base

Posted via CB10
    shaleem, JRF_1986 and BerryRipe like this.
    08-27-15 04:42 PM
    Sorry but I really don't see how hard it is to copy and paste someone's pin to add them. Also it even shows up in my contact who has bbm and I sent an invite. It also available through email and you can even just simply scan someone's pin code. I really! Don't see how hard this is to do. And also do u really want your message being sent to every device you have? Really? This is secure? To me it's better to only receive messages to the device I'm using at the time, that's just me.

I have to get their pin and an invite. I just need their emails for the other systems which i already have. And yes, I do want it on all my devices. Given the success of Slack, I appear not to be alone.
    08-27-15 05:38 PM
    I was excited to use BBM but the app on my Lumia 930 was very unstable. Stability has improved since the update that added channels but that update came a year after BBM came out for WP at the moment I'm on Line, WeChat, Viber, WhatsApp and SMS.
    I'll try anything my friends are using but currently all of them no longer use BBM so after it finally getting usable without any fatal crashes none of my friends are on it and all I use it for is following a couple of channels.
    08-27-15 06:18 PM
    My daily device is a BlackBerry 10 device, BBM is a native app and works flawless, I really love the look and the security is a real pro but I also like and use WhatsApp and it also works fluidly and you can reach a large number of people. I cannot choose between the 2 of them, I need them both.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 06:30 PM
    A better question is why is BBM better than Whatsapp?
    I don't have to download all my contacts. I choose which contacts have access to me all the time. My BlackBerry ID moves with me not a number I no longer have. It's reliable, never had any issues with it. Just a few of the reasons I like BBM. But hey, to each his own. I only use BBM, text, email or call.

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    shaleem likes this.
    08-27-15 06:59 PM
    I use BBM on my Passport to chat to my gf on her Lumia (WP). For me it's great. For her it sucks. On her phone the BBM font is too small and the software lags and often doesn't work at all. Our most common text message is 'BBM down'. She prefers Whatsapp but I can't bring myself to use it much. We've been using KIK quite a bit.

So basically BBM isn't very good on other platforms and not many people use it. That's why Whatsapp is better. On BlackBerry phones BBM is a better experience.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 07:06 PM
    As any other technology trend, an application becomes more popular and an older one is replaced. Whatsapp is the new BBM worldwide. One day, another application will emerge and the cycle will repeat.

Posted via CB10
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    08-27-15 08:05 PM
    I use both and I personally prefer BBM. I just prefer the looks for some reason and maybe it's because it is native to BlackBerry.

WhatsApp
    -------------------
    + Very stable on all platforms
    + Lots of emojis
    + Easier group chat setup and functionality
    + Widely established
    + Phone numbers (convenience)
    + Hold space for voice message

BBM
    --------------------
    + D/R indicators (I like them better than the WhatsApp check marks)
    + Design (personal preference)
    + Groups with lots of features
    + Glympse (one of the best features of BBM)
    + PIN (can add to privacy sometimes, stays the same with new phone nr.)
    + Pictures can be sent LQ and HQ
    + BBM Voice works great

- Still not as stable as WhatsApp
    - Windows Phone version is extremely bad
    - Voice messages are complicated and bad quality
    - Can be battery draining on Android
    - Small user base

Posted via CB10
    I'm with you.

shaleem likes this.
    08-27-15 08:51 PM
    I have to get their pin and an invite. I just need their emails for the other systems which i already have. And yes, I do want it on all my devices. Given the success of Slack, I appear not to be alone.
    You mean like this hey john what's your pin? "Ru1fd85d" oh ok thank, invite send. Accept, john is now a contact. Yep I could see the difficulty in that as oppose to, hey john what's your phone number so I can add you on what's app, because I can do the same exact thing that what's app can do when I have a person's phone number but I'll just use whatsapp to use up my data. Ohh ok it's 2997775452. Ohh ok invite send john is now a contact on whatsapp. Yep very difficult. I may be old fashioned and all in valuing my privacy and all but that's just me, to each there own, as I would not want my messages to my wife be seen by my assistant as oppose the the person it was intended for not all device they have. But yep I don't like to slack off on my right of privacy.

ArcPlug likes this.
    08-27-15 09:07 PM
    Way better than BBM, no wonder more than billion installed. Secret is simple, phone number, multi OS years ago.
    BBM limited,
    Read my comments from yrs ago that whatsap will take over.

Posted via CB10
    08-27-15 09:21 PM
    Whatsapp is getting close in functionality to bbm...once they get video..it's a wrap for bbm. I used to hate whatsapp but was forced to use it because everyone else was and since BlackBerry anything is considered "uncool" now..guess i'm stuck with it. Having said that..it's wayyyyyy better than it used to be. Would definitely win the award for most improved app. Still speak to 3 or 4 contacts regularly on BBM though and i'll continue to use it until a) I have no more active contacts b) it's no longer supported. Will be sad to see it go though.

Pimp slappin iGeeks, Droinerds and Windufuses with my big white Z30
    08-27-15 10:13 PM
161 123 ...