Hi everyone, I have a BlackBerry classic and I've just seen that Whatsapp's going to stop their services on BBM10 at the end of the year... I was wondering if we download the Android app in the Amazon store (or Snap), will this android app continue to work on my BB classic in 2017?
    I hope it will, such a bad news
    Thanks!
    06-01-16 09:06 AM
    It MAY continue to work, additionally the company will not prevent you from doing this, or make attempts to stop this from working. At least not intentionally. HOWEVER it is possible as they continue to update Whatsapp eventually the required Android version will exceed the runtime that is available on BB10 devices. The company will provide you with NO support to help get things working. Sorry. BUT yes it may still work.
    It MAY continue to work, additionally the company will not prevent you from doing this, or make attempts to stop this from working. At least not intentionally. HOWEVER it is possible as they continue to update Whatsapp eventually the required Android version will exceed the runtime that is available on BB10 devices. The company will provide you with NO support to help get things working. Sorry. BUT yes it may still work.
    06-01-16 09:23 AM
    Ok thank you!! Yes I see for the runtime in BB10 devices... Hope it'll continue to work for a little bit of time haha
    pkcable likes this.
    06-01-16 10:14 AM
    Woo! Glad you were able to get the answer you needed (and crazy fast!). Great to have you here!
    Relssienk likes this.
    06-01-16 03:29 PM
    Doesn't the message in the App actually say it will stop working?

The dev also said it's likely the servers will simply reject the connection request

Posted via CB10
    06-01-16 03:36 PM

The dev also said it's likely the servers will simply reject the connection request

Posted via CB10
    So even if we have the android app, the servers of whatsapp will be able to see that we are on the BlackBerry and they will refuse our connection request?
    06-02-16 06:48 AM
    So even if we have the android app, the servers of whatsapp will be able to see that we are on the BlackBerry and they will refuse our connection request?
    Of course they can see we are on a BlackBerry, the device Identifies itself as a BlackBerry; even the ART identifies itself as
    "[email protected]"

If the Android version rejects BB's, we won't know until next year, but it's likely the Native App will cease to function, I don't see the Android version doing that.
    Relssienk likes this.
    06-02-16 07:08 AM

Posted via CB10
    That just seems odd to me, if it COULD work why not let it work? It always surprises me when developers actually take steps to prevent a program from working on a particular platform. Snapchat being the best example of this. I certainly understand when it happens naturally as the program upgrades and the runtime gets too far behind, but why on earth takes steps to intentionally block?

I DO get that they don't want to provide support and in fact already provide little or no BB support as it is. They made their statement no support, so why not leave it at that, BUT let the program work if indeed it does?
    06-02-16 07:40 AM
    That just seems odd to me, if it COULD work why not let it work? It always surprises me when developers actually take steps to prevent a program from working on a particular platform. Snapchat being the best example of this. I certainly understand when it happens naturally as the program upgrades and the runtime gets too far behind, but why on earth takes steps to intentionally block?

I DO get that they don't want to provide support and in fact already provide little or no BB support as it is. They made their statement no support, so why not leave it at that, BUT let the program work if indeed it does?
    Because it's easier and cheaper to just turn an App off instead of having to deal with floods of emails ect demanding this new feature, complaining about this breaking and that breaking.

Much much less hassle and frees up their support people.

Also thinking of the security side, it's unsafe to leave an App like WhatsApp just ticking along when it could be vulnerable and come back to bite them on the arse in the future.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-16 08:05 AM
    Because it's easier and cheaper to just turn an App off instead of having to deal with floods of emails ect demanding this new feature, complaining about this breaking and that breaking.

Much much less hassle and frees up their support people.

Also thinking of the security side, it's unsafe to leave an App like WhatsApp just ticking along when it could be vulnerable and come back to bite them on the arse in the future.

Posted via CB10
    Extinguish... hey Microsoft! :-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    06-05-16 06:07 PM