Uhm, no that is incorrect. Whatsapp apparently still considers me an active user despite the fact that I haven't used there service in 10 months. I know all the little tricks facebook uses to ensure they can categorize you as an active user. It's a bit laughable at a certain point.

Posted via CB10
    You (and the OP) are absolutely wrong. Whatsapp has reported 600 million monthly active users. To be counted, the user has to have used the service at least once in the last month. When the co-founder announced the 600 million count, he made a big point of this fact. Don't just make stuff up to try to make Blackberry's competitor look bad. I don't get why people feel the need to do that.

By the way, this is the same method Blackberry uses to count BBM active users.

http://mashable.com/2014/08/25/whats...million-users/

http://m.crackberry.com/monthly-acti...ows-91-million
    11-01-14 10:03 AM
    Accidental re-post.
    11-01-14 10:11 AM
    India uses it a lot, there's your 600 million.

Whatsapp actually sucks, I wish everyone used bbm.
    ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕਾਖਾਲਸਾ।ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂਜੀਕੀਫਤਹਿ।।
    11-01-14 10:16 AM
    I actually find whatsapp more inuitive aka ***** proof sometimes but I can't bear the phone numbers/ privacy so I usually don't use it. I use a payg disposable number that is not my actual number so I usually don't install it until I really really need to contact someone otherwise uncontactable

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 10:26 AM
    I wonder why the conversation is always about WhatsApp vs BBM. I personally don't have a reason to use either of those apps. Everyone I can think of with a smartphone, who I need to talk with, is on Hangouts. Hangouts even covers the folks I know who still use a dumb phone or those who only use SMS/MMS. So for me, I see no reason at all to bother with having the same contacts on multiple IM apps.

Google should release detailed user information for Hangouts like BBM and WhatsApp does. I'd be surprised if either come close to matching Hangouts.
    11-01-14 10:35 AM
    I wonder why the conversation is always about WhatsApp vs BBM. I personally don't have a reason to use either of those apps. Everyone I can think of with a smartphone, who I need to talk with, is on Hangouts. Hangouts even covers the folks I know who still use a dumb phone or those who only use SMS/MMS. So for me, I see no reason at all to bother with having the same contacts on multiple IM apps.

Google should release detailed user information for Hangouts like BBM and WhatsApp does. I'd be surprised if either come close to matching Hangouts.
    If hangouts had more active users than whatsapp, then Google would release the number.
    11-01-14 10:49 AM
    If hangouts had more active users than whatsapp, then Google would release the number.
    UhMmmHmm, who says? Google isn't like BlackBerry or WhatsApp where all they have to offer the world is a messaging app. Bragging about Hangouts user numbers probably isn't a priority for them.

Ya gotta think, there are over a billion Android users out there in the world, I've yet to purchase a Android device that didn't include Hangouts. Also, Hangouts requires zero setup to use other than entering your Gmail account which is required to use any Google service on a Android device any way. Hangouts is also on the web. If you have Gmail, you have hangouts. How many people out there have and use a Gmail account? With all of that in mind, it seems pretty unlikely that they don't have at least 600 million users by now.

But who knows, Google doesn't care to release those numbers. I just checked and it appears that the last time they even released Gmail numbers was in June of 2012.
    Last edited by Witmen; 11-01-14 at 11:18 AM.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    11-01-14 11:02 AM
    That number is not correct. I am counted as one of those 600 million, so minus me thats 599,999,999 users. lets see how many people say the same thing.
    No, you are not in fact being counted. You are only counted if you actually use WhatsApp to send a message during the month. Hence the term "monthly active users", of which WhatsApp has over 600M.
    m1a1mg and dolco like this.
    11-01-14 11:05 AM
    If you deleted the app, how are you still getting notifications from Whatsapp? It sounds like it was never properly uninstalled. What problems were you encountering while failing to uninstall it?
    What apps doesn't give you the choices of removing your account. This issue is widely used by certain company. Remember they tie up everything to your phone number. You can uninstall the program, but you are not removed from their system. Call them get the run around and so on.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 11:12 AM
    Active users is indicated by sending or receiving at least one message during the month. The same as BBM.

You guys get so wrapped around the hate you have for competitors, you lose focus.
    So let me guess, you have what app.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 11:14 AM
    You (and the OP) are absolutely wrong. Whatsapp has reported 600 million monthly active users. To be counted, the user has to have used the service at least once in the last month. When the co-founder announced the 600 million count, he made a big point of this fact. Don't just make stuff up to try to make Blackberry's competitor look bad. I don't get why people feel the need to do that.

These people on this thread are not lying. You are the only person with an agenda here. If I had 600 million active subscribers, I would not sell the company. Just advertising power would make me rich and richer.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 11:20 AM
    These people on this thread are not lying. You are the only person with an agenda here. If I had 600 million active subscribers, I would not sell the company. Just advertising power would make me rich and richer.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry! Active subscribers

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 11:21 AM
    UhMmmHmm, who says? Google isn't like BlackBerry or WhatsApp where all they have to offer the world is a messaging app. Bragging about Hangouts user numbers probably isn't a priority for them.

Ya gotta think, there are over a billion Android users out there in the world, I've yet to purchase a Android device that didn't include Hangouts. Also, Hangouts requires zero setup to use other than entering your Gmail account which is required to use any Google service on a Android device any way. Hangouts is also on the web. If you have Gmail, you have hangouts. How many people out there have and use a Gmail account? With all of that in mind, it seems pretty unlikely that they don't have at least 600 million users by now.

But who knows, Google doesn't care to release those numbers. I just checked and it appears that the last time they even released Gmail numbers was in June of 2012.
    Just remember that everything is tied to your Gmail account. Everything!

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 11:24 AM
    I actually find whatsapp more inuitive aka ***** proof sometimes but I can't bear the phone numbers/ privacy so I usually don't use it. I use a payg disposable number that is not my actual number so I usually don't install it until I really really need to contact someone otherwise uncontactable

Posted via CB10
    Really why go through all that trouble. BBM is everything.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 11:27 AM

Here is how they do it. They send you emails on a weekly basis. Let's see your friend has a birthday, there is a new offering, a piece of trivia. If you click on it, voila your an active user. There is nothing new about this facebook tactic, marketers have been critical of it for years.

Whatapp like Facebook is very loose at what it considers an active user and how they get and calculate the clicks. If we were to believe everything they said, then strangely, Whatsapp user base actually shrank this year. There own press statements don't align. Obviously, there are some revisions going on behind the scenes.

Posted via CB10
    blackmoe likes this.
    11-01-14 11:30 AM
    Install the android Apk of whatsapp and then login and then delete the account. Probably intentionally the blackberry version doesn't allow you to delete your account.

Posted via CB10
    You can delete using the native version (unless the option doesn't work):

Whatsapp 600 million users-img_20141101_123350.png

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 11:34 AM
    Just remember that everything is tied to your Gmail account. Everything!

Posted via CB10
    Kinda like how all of the information BlackBerry collects from its users is tied to their BlackBerry ID account? Tell me, can you use BBM without a BlackBerry ID? Have you ever read the BlackBerry ID and BBM terms of service agreement? BlackBerry mines its users for their data just like everyone else does. Spend 5 minutes reading their TOS and you'll see that I'm correct.
    11-01-14 11:34 AM
    So let me guess, you have what app.

Posted via CB10
    Then you would have guessed wrong, wouldn't you? I don't like FUD. Regardless of the source.

Really why go through all that trouble. BBM is everything.

Posted via CB10
    So, we finally get to the crux of the issue. You don't like Whatsapp. Big deal.
    11-01-14 11:59 AM
    Now on another note. BNN stated revenue was 15 million annually for Whatsapp. Then there are 600 million users. Now supposedly it's a buck a year. So if it's truly 600 million active users, where is the cash? Like these numbers are not even on the same planet!

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 12:03 PM
    Here in Romania Whatsapp is really big. I have 100 Whatsapp contacts and only 7 contacts on BBM. I can understand the 600 million subscribers
    11-01-14 12:51 PM
    Now on another note. BNN stated revenue was 15 million annually for Whatsapp. Then there are 600 million users. Now supposedly it's a buck a year. So if it's truly 600 million active users, where is the cash? Like these numbers are not even on the same planet!

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    As my financial planner always tells me, revenue and cash flow never lie. Everything else can be manipulated. Your point is well taken.
    11-01-14 01:05 PM
    Kinda like how all of the information BlackBerry collects from its users is tied to their BlackBerry ID account? Tell me, can you use BBM without a BlackBerry ID? Have you ever read the BlackBerry ID and BBM terms of service agreement? BlackBerry mines its users for their data just like everyone else does. Spend 5 minutes reading their TOS and you'll see that I'm correct.
    You are right, but my other accounts are not tied up to my BBM.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 01:06 PM
    Then you would have guessed wrong, wouldn't you? I don't like FUD. Regardless of the source.

So, we finally get to the crux of the issue. You don't like Whatsapp. Big deal.
    This is not about messaging app. It's about false numbers. People just have the tendency to air out their frustration.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 01:09 PM
    Here in Romania Whatsapp is really big. I have 100 Whatsapp contacts and only 7 contacts on BBM. I can understand the 600 million subscribers
    Well I have no contacts on what's app and 1342 on BBM.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 01:11 PM
    Well I have no contacts on what's app and 1342 on BBM.

Posted via CB10
    You have no contacts because you don't use whatsapp or because nobody of your contacts actually uses whatsapp?
    11-01-14 01:13 PM
151 1234 ...