View Poll Results: What do you keep your phone on in school?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vibrate

18 72.00%
  • Silent

7 28.00%
    So, my school has a really big policy against cell phones. People still use them though, and I do as well. What do you guys usually keep your phone on while in school? Vibrate or silent? The vibrate is faint and I sometimes don't even feel it, but I feel like if we were taking a test it would definitely be audible.
    09-07-08 10:53 AM
    My univ doesnt have such a policy but I keep it on vibrate because I dont like phones ringing in the middle of lectures or seminars. If my univ did have a big policy against cell phones, I'd put mine on silent and in my bag.
    Last edited by ADberry; 09-07-08 at 11:05 AM.
    09-07-08 10:58 AM
    My college is strict. I leave it in my pocket on silent not vibrate.
    09-07-08 11:03 AM
    I leave it on vibrate only because I get important calls during the day... I don't answer them but its good to know that I can get the alert
    09-07-08 11:09 AM
    My teachers request for all phones to be turned off, but from what I see/hear no one does it. I try to make it a habit putting mines on vibrate even though I get no signal, so I disturb anyone.
    09-07-08 11:12 AM
    My teachers request for all phones to be turned off, but from what I see/hear no one does it. I try to make it a habit putting mines on vibrate even though I get no signal, so I disturb anyone.
    This sounds familiar to: "Please turn off and stow all electronic devices, including cell phones, pagers, and PDAs, as they may interfere with the classroom".

I'm done with school. However, I would probably just leave mine on but in vibrate mode tweaked (only vibrate once). I know some people that had their phones confiscated and worse, tests failed. Hey, there's a threat out there. Blackberry messenger, sms, yahoo, etc. Anyone can convey info back and forth. So, I understand some of this. Personally, I would be OK if everyone would leave their phone silent or vibrate mode. I find it very rude and disturbing for devices to go off and off while you are trying to listen or sleep in class.
    09-07-08 11:23 AM
    Although the college I attend does have a very strict cell policy, it is rare any of the Professors follow it. Most just tell us put it on vibrate during lecture and silent for test and if we may be expecting a important call just put it on vibrate in our lap and if you get the call, just get up and go outside for the call then come back. As one professor said.. you can not put the outside world on hold and things happen. He would rather us come and get the information, then not come because we "might" get a call about our child or our best friend might call cause she got engaged. Life happens, just deal with it as quite as possible.
    LOL The college has a policy if the professor hears the phone it is to be taken up and given to the dean and we are told to leave class counted absent and to get the phone back write a 3 page paper on why we had our phone out and on. The attendence policy is strict so if it was followed no one would every pass a class cause we are only allowed to miss 2 class periods a semester.

Yeah they are strict but the have a excelent program... they have a right to be.
    09-07-08 11:25 AM
    Well I'm in high school and the policy is if they see it, they take it. You can have it in a case, but not out using it. I keep it on vibrate most of the time in class and only turn it off during state tests. I'm pretty good at not getting caught using it (I even have a notebook with a BlackBerry sized hole cut in it, but that's another story.... ) During regular tests, I've had it vibrate several times in silent classrooms and nobody has heard it. Just don't take it out during tests and you should be fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-08 11:43 AM
    I use my phone in class all the time in college. The professors can't say anything because I pay for the class. The only thing they can say is to put it away if you are being disruptive, otherwise they mind their business if you are keeping to yourself.
    09-07-08 11:48 AM
    My prof (I'm only taking 1 class) is pretty lenient with cell phone use, why I have no idea. She said we could leave it on vib, but I've NEVER used vib. It just seems like I'm making my phone go through fits of seizure or something. Making an electronic device vibrate like that can't be good long term.
    Therefore, all vibrate functions are turned off my device.
    09-07-08 11:48 AM
    my pearl vibrate isnt strong but that dam curve is ****ing strong and you can hear it vibrating but i caught texting on my curve..
    cause of the size i guess i havent got caught on my pearl yet
    09-07-08 11:50 AM
    LOL The college has a policy if the professor hears the phone it is to be taken up and given to the dean and we are told to leave class counted absent and to get the phone back write a 3 page paper on why we had our phone out and on. The attendence policy is strict so if it was followed no one would every pass a class cause we are only allowed to miss 2 class periods a semester.
    If a professor ever tried to take my phone I would laugh in their face. I did the same thing in High School. I was suspended for a week because I refused to give them my phone. I would NEVER give anyone my property without a fight, especially a school, and especially when you are paying for your education, you have the right to do what you want with your money.
    09-07-08 11:54 AM
    My college has a policy that they have to let us keep our cell phones on due to school shootings. Besides that I use my BB all the time in class, Professors don't care.
    09-07-08 02:38 PM
    It depends on the professor. Three out of Four of my professors this semester having a no cell phone policy. My Psych prof. is cool about it though, as long as the phone is on vibrate.
    09-07-08 02:55 PM
    Why no option for OFF, because when I am in any class that is
    it's status. Not the universities or Professor's policy. It's mine.
    I am paying too much in tuition to be effin' around with my phone.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 09-07-08 at 05:56 PM.
    09-07-08 04:11 PM
    I personally keep mine on vibrate. Most of the classes I've taken, the professors are really cool about phones. But when its time to work, I work.
    09-07-08 04:55 PM
    My college has a policy that they have to let us keep our cell phones on due to school shootings. Besides that I use my BB all the time in class, Professors don't care.
    never thought of this but this is a VERY good reason to keep your phone on vib at least...
    09-07-08 05:01 PM
    The college has a policy if the professor hears the phone it is to be taken up and given to the dean and we are told to leave class counted absent and to get the phone back write a 3 page paper on why we had our phone out and on.
    I always put my phone on vibrate�.unless I forget 2�there is no way I would hand or give my phone over to anybody though no matter what my schools phone policy is. They tried that ish in high school when I got caught textin on my phone. Thank god my moms wasn�t feelin it!
    09-08-08 01:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD