With all the news about heavy data users being throttled, I'm curious to see what the maximum data usage (on average) of BB users. I have a Bold 9930 and have never come close to using 1GB. I don't stream much Pandora, etc. Mainly a lot of browsing.

Recently, a friend of mine got the "top 5% of data users" message on his iPhone (AT&T) and shortly after, his phone was throttled to the point of being unusable outside of wifi coverage. He claims his big data hog is Pandora streaming about 2 hours or so a day.

I am SO glad I don't have to worry about this.

So my question is, How much data do you normally use in a month and what apps/usage get you there?
    Last edited by soogriffin; 02-23-12 at 08:07 AM. Reason: didn't edit on other computer
    02-23-12 08:01 AM
    I have found I use more than normal this past couple of months. Per month I use 200 - 300 mb out of my 500 mb monthly limit.

Throughout the day I have my brokers app open / web browsing and at the rare times I'm not local to a wifi connection - you tube videos.

Wifi is everywhere nowadays in the UK so I guess people who haven't got that are glued to you tube with their unlimited data plans ?

All in all, I'm happy with 500 mb per month.
    02-23-12 08:28 AM
    my average data usage is about average 500MB to 1GB. most of the times it's much e-mails, text messages, browsing and calls.
    it's mostly that i use my blackberry for my work, i'm not streaming when i'm on the way out.
    i have 2GB umlimited data usage, when all data is used my internet will be slower and running on 64kps.
    most of the time i'm just streaming at home where i have WIFI-coverage so that's all pretty covered up already.
    02-23-12 08:37 AM
    my average data usage is about average 500MB to 1GB. most of the times it's much e-mails, text messages, browsing and calls.
    it's mostly that i use my blackberry for my work, i'm not streaming when i'm on the way out.
    i have 2GB umlimited data usage, when all data is used my internet will be slower and running on 64kps.
    most of the time i'm just streaming at home where i have WIFI-coverage so that's all pretty covered up already.
    This is about right for me too, BUT I did get close to 2GBs once, and I often will break the 1GB barrier.
    02-23-12 08:45 AM
    Max was around 4GB.

Average is 1GB.

I use the Tether app and Bridge.
    02-23-12 08:51 AM
    I average about 400MB per month on my 9810. I consider myself a moderate data user. Email, text, web, some streaming, weather, stocks, etc. I do use my home wifi when I'm home so that helps.
    02-23-12 08:57 AM
    Doesn't anyone have wifi ???

My BB automatically connects to 5 different home wifi routers depending where I am.

Restaurants - shopping centres - bars - eateries - local high streets - business centres all have free wifi nowadays.

Previous posts seem a huge amount of data to monster per month !
    02-23-12 09:00 AM
    I have a 2 GB data plan and on average use between 100-200 MB of data per month. This month, I'm on track to use 300 MB of data.

The next lowest plan is 200 MB, but with BBM constantly in use, always emailing, always texting, the occasional app download(and the occasional OS upgrade), I opt to keep the 2 GB plan just to be on the safe side.

I have wifi at home, but because I use so little data, I don't enable it, unless I decide to use wifi calling.
    Last edited by Chaviv; 02-23-12 at 09:19 AM.
    02-23-12 09:00 AM

My BB automatically connects to 5 different home wifi routers depending where I am.

Restaurants - shopping centres - bars - eateries - local high streets - business centres all have free wifi nowadays.

Nope, no wifi at home. I have no home Internet at all. That's why I love bridge and occasionally have to use Tether app.

Generally when I go out to eat or shop or wherever I don't take the time to turn wifi on on my bb.
    02-23-12 09:04 AM
    last month, i had my 9900 bridge to my pb.

i used 2.4GB.
    02-23-12 09:06 AM
    Nope, no wifi at home. I have no home Internet at all. That's why I love bridge and occasionally have to use Tether app.

Generally when I go out to eat or shop or wherever I don't take the time to turn wifi on on my bb.
    Sheesh, no home wifi eh. I forgot about tethering. I saw how much data tethering used the couple of times I used it with my Torch.

.......Slowly light is shed haha
    02-23-12 09:08 AM
    Thank goodness for unlimited data!
    02-23-12 09:26 AM
    18gbs; no throttle, no tether.

Sent from the best mobile device ever --Samsung Galaxy Note
    02-23-12 09:30 AM
    Highest i've ever gone is 4.5gb in a month, but my regular average is around 2gb.
    02-23-12 10:00 AM
    2GB a month out of my 300MB plan( excluding wifi usage) which is the highest plan my carrier offer for BB. They have unlimited plan for other phone but after a certain amount of data usage, they put a speed limits on thing
    02-23-12 10:30 AM
    Wow. There are a few 200-500mb users out there. I think VZW has a small data plan around that much,but it's only for "basic" phones and not an option for a BB. I'm surprised to see some high GB users out there. Does using the playbook with the device use more data? Or is it just the screen size of the PB that's making users browse more.

I seem to browse the most when I'm at home using wifi. 3G speeds are nice but this thing is zippy over wifi. Love it.
    02-23-12 10:34 AM
    I need to step up my data usage. Just saw last month I only used 102 mb. WEAK!
    02-23-12 10:44 AM
    I use about 300-400 mb a month of my 1gb. I did hit over 700mb last month while testing out my mobile hotspot.
    02-23-12 10:44 AM
    I'm currently at 944MBs (just under 1GB), with 5 days left till it refreshes, so I'm about saverage this month.
    02-23-12 11:05 AM
    i'm sitting at 891MB's with 2 weeks to till my month is over. so a little more then average this time.
    have been using it so much the last two weeks though.
    02-23-12 11:09 AM
    I'm on AT&T, and I have the 2 gig plan. When I was on my Torch, I never even used up 1 gig. Most I ever used was about 800 megs. On average, I only would use about 400 megs.

Now on my Andriod device, I'm 15 days in on my plan, and I'm already over 1 gig. O_o

I used WiFi at home, and at school for some reason WiFi barely works. This has been the case for both phones.

BlackBerrys are awesome with data...

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MACKSnare519; 02-23-12 at 11:21 AM.
    02-23-12 11:15 AM
    I couldn't give a figure at the moment but it has always been around the 4gb mark.

I have no home interweb and the company I work for is run by wankers so I use my 'berry for all of my browsing.

"Unlimited" data is not all it claims to be in my experience either.
    02-23-12 11:16 AM
    Wow. There are a few 200-500mb users out there. I think VZW has a small data plan around that much,but it's only for "basic" phones and not an option for a BB. I'm surprised to see some high GB users out there. Does using the playbook with the device use more data? Or is it just the screen size of the PB that's making users browse more.

I seem to browse the most when I'm at home using wifi. 3G speeds are nice but this thing is zippy over wifi. Love it.
    Think data usage will increase as we use newer devices. I don't use the browser on my 9650 too much, it is just too slow and the screen is too small. But I tried a PlayBook for awhile and used it quite a bit, even with the slower Bridge speeds. With a BB10 device on a 4G network... who knows what kind of data usage some of us will end up with???
    02-23-12 11:28 AM

Exactly! this is why I have Verizon's lowest data plan, 500mb/month.

I am connected to wifi about 70% of the day. I also set all my apps to use wifi if available. I email, text, tweet, bbm, lightly stream Pandora, and browse the web all day.

I use about 100mb per month

Also, having wifi on all day gives me GREAT battery life. After 12 hours of use my phone was only at 40%
    02-23-12 11:38 AM
    I have never gone over 3 GB. When I had a android device I went as high as 6GB.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-23-12 11:40 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD