I disagree with JeepBB. Some of this has already been stated, but I will hash it out again.

Installing Android apps on devices that are not supported is not piracy. The developer probably *wishes* you wouldn't because they do not want to get questions about support on unsupported devices, but it is not piracy. You are not reverse engineering any code, altering the app in any way or redistributing it. The Android runtime that runs the app is open source and can be developed on other platforms legally and free. I understand that Google Services is not open source, but that is not what we are talking about here.

This would be similar to installing an app that is only supported on Windows 7 and then moving it to a Windows 8 machine. The developer wishes you wouldn't do that, but if you paid for it and aren't redistributing it then the worst they can say is they don't support it. The developer always has the right to do a device or system check built-in to their app.

People need to stop obsessing with the fact you got it from a mobile app store and remember that these are basically mini computers.
    If you obtain the apps through a means other than those that are officially supported, then it is absolutely piracy. In addition, if the TOS forbids usage on unsupported platforms, it is also piracy. If the publisher/developer makes the app available on their website, and doesn't expressly forbid usage on unsupported platforms, then it's fair game.

If you need to use some workaround to obtain the binaries from Google Play, thus circumventing the Play TOS plus any TOS that the publisher/developer has in place, then you are pirating the software.

Just to be clear, there are lots of legal ways to obtain certain pieces of software and run them on BB10, but there are also lots of apps that don't offer these particular means, and the only methods of loading and running them would be classed as piracy.
    JeepBB and Tre Lawrence like this.
    11-17-13 03:48 PM
    If i pay for it I own it and can run it on any single device I damn choose! If it's free then same applys! As for developers!!! Android developers are so darn happy about it as they tapped into new clients! I'm sure many will incorporate the q10 aspect ratio just to secure more downloads! And blackberry developers are also happy, as more users may flock to BlackBerry hence higher probability to buy native premium apps!!!

Q10 driven by 10.2.1.1055
    Actually that is not true. It depends on the license agreement that you agreed to when you purchased the item. ie. When you buy an OEM version of Windows, it is only valid on the machine you purchased and if you move it to another machine, you are in violation. Lots of times, you don't realize it, but you are purchasing a software lease, no ownership is involved.
    Poirots Progeny and howarmat like this.
    11-17-13 03:54 PM
    If we want developers to truly start to support BB10 with apps, we should keep our selfs for good to do too much piracy.
    11-17-13 07:15 PM
    If you obtain the apps through a means other than those that are officially supported, then it is absolutely piracy. In addition, if the TOS forbids usage on unsupported platforms, it is also piracy. If the publisher/developer makes the app available on their website, and doesn't expressly forbid usage on unsupported platforms, then it's fair game.

If you need to use some workaround to obtain the binaries from Google Play, thus circumventing the Play TOS plus any TOS that the publisher/developer has in place, then you are pirating the software.

Just to be clear, there are lots of legal ways to obtain certain pieces of software and run them on BB10, but there are also lots of apps that don't offer these particular means, and the only methods of loading and running them would be classed as piracy.
    Clear and concise. Same thing BBRY states.
    JeepBB likes this.
    11-17-13 07:22 PM
    You can disagree if you like, it doesn't make you right.

BB phones are not Android devices, which is why many Apps don't work properly when running under BB10. Many of the "hooks" inside the Apps don't work, for the same reason. And, on the Q10 at least, the screen aspect ratio means that the App displays in a way that was not intended.

I'm absolutely convinced that BB10 was not the platform the developer was targeting when he/she built the App... or they would have surely built that BB10 device support in when they wrote it.

Nope. It's piracy. Pure and simple.

Are you nuts? Go read Android open source license.

Android is open source OS. Anyone can implement it. BlackBerry did but did not implement it fully (eg: Google services API aren't implemented fully).

Consider this: there are 1000s of Android devices. New phones, new tablets produced everyday. Developer has no way of knowing which hardware their apps will run. They develop apps for Android.

Android is open source. Any manufacturer can install Android.

Think of it like this - windows software is made for Windows. Not specially for IBM or hp or dell. Anyone can use Windows OS for their computer. Software (apps) are made for OS, not particular brand of hardware.

So, BlackBerry is implementing open source OS. Nothing illegal about that.

Anyone can install Windows but it runs differently on evert machine (depends on underlying hardware specs, accessories, drivers etc). Similarly BlackBerry chose to implement Android OS (open source) but hasn't implemented it fully. That's why some apps run and some apps (that refer to un-implemented parts of Android) don't run.

Now, to my second point:

To install an Android app, user still has to download (and pay if app is a paid app) to get the apk. No piracy there.

If you are suggesting that people will distribute apk files via email or Dropbox - then that's something existing Android devices can do too. It's for user to pirate an app or not. Just like Windows users can choose to buy software or install pirated softwares.

Posted via CB 10 app on my Q10!
    m1kr0 likes this.
    11-17-13 07:35 PM
    It's free software that is in no way shape or form piracy if it's a PAID app from android then it is piracy if something is distributed as free then you cannot steal it. Plain and simple

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 08:38 PM
    And back to the subject people put android on a god damn iPhone that had to be hard how hard could it be to create a hacked play store apk or somehow trick it into thinking the Google integration is there? Maybe harder than I think I just don't know that's why I asked the question and I really don't give a **** what kind of piracy you think it is putting the play store on my phone if you don't like it then don't try and do it

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 08:42 PM
    It's free software that is in no way shape or form piracy if it's a PAID app from android then it is piracy if something is distributed as free then you cannot steal it. Plain and simple

Posted via CB10
    So if I take the kindle app lets say and convert it to a bar file then put it for sale for $1 that isnt stealing or piracy? according to you its free and cant be stolen...
    bekkay and JeepBB like this.
    11-17-13 08:43 PM
    How is it piracy? If you purchased an app for download? I still purchase music CDs and convert them to MP3s to play on devices that I own am I pirating music this way?

Posted via CB10
    Read the app store ToS. Read the EULA. You may be violating them.

As for piracy, per USC Title 17, you can not modify a computer program. With the need to modify the APK gone, the piracy argument is not valid any more IMO. As long as you are a copy owner (legitimately acquired the app).

However, you still have the personal use agreements/EULAs and app store policies that prohibit you from running the app on anythin but Android. For example, Amazon app store explicitly states that you can ONLY use the apps on Android devices.
    11-17-13 08:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    This is the biggest misconception. Copyright applies to both free and paid work equally.

Copyright grants the creator exclusive rights. Unless you have his/her permission to use the work, you are committing copyright infringements. Again, regardless of whether the work is free or not.
    11-17-13 08:59 PM
    This is the biggest misconception. Copyright applies to both free and paid work equally.

Copyright grants the creator exclusive rights. Unless you have his/her permission to use the work, you are committing copyright infringements. Again, regardless of whether the work is free or not.
    Even if you are right and it is "copyright infringement" there can be no damages because its a free app, and ads were not removed. If I listen to a free song on iphone or android, I'm not breaking the copyright.
    11-17-13 09:10 PM
    Even if you are right and it is "copyright infringement" there can be no damages because its a free app, and ads were not removed. If I listen to a free song on iphone or android, I'm not breaking the copyright.
    You still are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement

http://itlaw.wikia.com/wiki/Copyright_infringement
    11-17-13 09:15 PM

How on earth is this the same thing? LOL.

It is remarkable to me how some folks are COMPLETLY in the dark on this concept. If MSFT were to take free BBM and appropriate it for its users, would BBRY be upset? I bet so.

BBRY itself calls this PIRACY.

LOL.
    bekkay and JeepBB like this.
    11-17-13 09:19 PM
    I heard on other threads that a lot of android apps crash on 10.2.1 may be its not ready yet?
    11-17-13 10:06 PM

BB phones are not Android devices, which is why many Apps don't work properly when running under BB10. Many of the "hooks" inside the Apps don't work, for the same reason. And, on the Q10 at least, the screen aspect ratio means that the App displays in a way that was not intended.

I'm absolutely convinced that BB10 was not the platform the developer was targeting when he/she built the App... or they would have surely built that BB10 device support in when they wrote it.

Nope. It's piracy. Pure and simple. If it were legit, don't you think BB would be shouting about this and publicising it everywhere? ... "*** STOP PRESS *** BB Devices Gain Access to Extensive Android App Library", etc

The fact that BB don't condone or promote this use of Android's App stores, or the sideloading that came before, speaks volumes as to the legality of this.

Just because it's technically feasible for some Apps doesn't make it legally or morally right to use someone else's apk's on your BB device.

It's clever... but it's wrong!

M'kay?
    You insist that you're right but in fact you are wrong. Any Dev who puts out an apk into a public access open source digital forum while intentionally choosing to not enable authorizations is essentially putting it into de facto public domain. Your metaphor about the locked drawer is inaccurate. The real metaphor is that you take the drawer with 'your' stuff in it, carry it out to a busy street corner and drop it on the sidewalk, stick a sign on it that says 'free', walk away, and then complain when people actually take the stuff from the drawer, because it's 'yours' and it isn't 'moral' because you didn't give each individual separate permission.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 02:33 AM
    I still don't care piracy or not see how the Google apps are now able to work on a blackberry that's all I wanted except for the play store so it probably is possible quit focusing on piracy in most of you eyes running Google maps on bb10 is piracy but obviously someone didn't care and did it anyways

Posted via CB10
    11-19-13 01:55 AM
    So does anyone know anything about a cracked or patched play store? Not sure what the lingo is here but a friend of mine has a "rooted" G3 and was talking about how it is jail broken like an iPhone. Except he can actually download paid stuff from the play store (illegally mind you).

Not that I condone it (although android/ios is so much better jail broken/ rooted), but could we possibly get a cracked play store or play services that could at least be there for other apps to work? Like when an app says Google services is needed would loading a "cracked" copy solve the problem?

Sorry not really hip to android. Just thought maybe there could be a connection. Anybody know yes or no?

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 03:56 AM

Nope. It's piracy. Pure and simple. If it were legit, don't you think BB would be shouting about this and publicising it everywhere? ... "*** STOP PRESS *** BB Devices Gain Access to Extensive Android App Library", etc

The fact that BB don't condone or promote this use of Android's App stores, or the sideloading that came before, speaks volumes as to the legality of this.

Just because it's technically feasible for some Apps doesn't make it legally or morally right to use someone else's apk's on your BB device.

It's clever... but it's wrong!

M'kay?
    It's not piracy as long as you pay for the apps.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-13 04:06 AM
    It's not piracy as long as you pay for the apps.
    That's not what BBRY says.
    11-20-13 11:07 AM
44 12