I generally would have let this topic slide with everyone suing everyone but since Apple sued Samsung over the look of their hardware/software on the galaxy range of phones and tablets (i could go on about how ridiculous the lawsuit is but at the same time i get what apple is saying but I'll leave that for other threads to deal with but I digress...).

What's stopping HP from doing the same with RIM over the look?

if you delve into it further there's are definitely differences but that could also be said about Samsung since its using android etc etc.

Is the only difference being that apple had a patent on their look and HP doesn't or Does HP have such a patent? I'm not sure but hopefully someone who knows more than I do could answer this.

Both the way they handle multi-tasking, dismiss programs and the way they use the edges of the screen is very similar to how HP have done it thus far with their phones and I assume will be done eventually on their touch pad with things like the touchstone. There's a lot to like about where both companies are going with their tablets with them integrating their tablets into their products (hp with their printers, laptops, pcs and phones and RIM with their line of smartphones and their security systems) but a lawsuit like this could certainly cause a legal mess for RIM.

personally, i think there's enough differences but thats generally due to me knowing the blackberry inside and out but it would be nice to here your opinions on this?
    05-30-11 06:33 AM
    Wasn't the PlayBook first?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-11 07:05 AM
    well it would be silly. then everyone would sue everyone as I don't see a whole lot of difference in any TV I go to look at. Lawyers sure like that all this suing goes on
    05-30-11 08:27 AM
    The UI's have some very different elements,

RIM has their information bar across the top that has content in it, HP's offering is very different giving a very different UI look/feel

RIM also has heading over the menu on the bottom for switching between another different element, IF you look at the Apple/Samsung argument, the Samsung Android UI was made to look and act similarly to the iPhone, (be it slightly better IMO) and the device was of similar shape, and similar location of buttons.
    05-30-11 08:28 AM
    My ancestors invented the fork. Soon we will be seeking litigation in regard to all fork manufacturers for patent infringement. Depending on how it goes, there will also be lawsuits involving the spoon! Then we will be seeking double damages for the spork.
    Beware KFC, we are on to you!
    05-30-11 09:15 AM
    Haha...please don't kill the spork, think of all the confused people when they're not sure which way to go

05-30-11 10:41 AM
    All joking aside, webOS had card like app multitasking, swipe up from the bezel to minimise and close, side to side bezel gestures to switch between apps and slide down from the top to bring up in-app context menus, this was back in 2009. These are not exactly UI paradigms that you see on every OS that can't be patented Even WP7 is now going to using cards for multi-tasking.

Not sure what HP's plan is now that it owns Palms gargantuan patent library... Seems like HP's not too bothered for the time being, probably because the PB hasn't been that popular so doesn't seem like a threat or a product that too many consumers will get confused for the TouchPad and other webOS devices.

Maybe they'll just wait a few months for everyone to finish copying various UI elements from webOS then either sue the **** out of them all or put down some real hardcore cross licensing offers that just can't be resisted (or they'll get sued)
    Last edited by i_maq; 05-30-11 at 04:51 PM.
    05-30-11 04:48 PM
    I would think to sue now would be to elevate RIM. But the PB is barely one month old and there has never been a WebOS tablet. Other WebOS devices are pretty obscure.

If the PB becomes a huge line of business for RIM, then maybe.

Point being is that to sue now and point out the similarities would draw comparisons, dilute HP's marketing.
    05-30-11 05:06 PM
    Wasn't the PlayBook first?

As a product, yes (discounting the Palm/HP phones). WebOS pre-dates RIM's tablet OS by a lot.
    05-30-11 05:16 PM
    Okay all joking aside, QNX has been around for over 30 years although not as evolved as what we see in the PB. Aside from external physical similarities of ALL tablets that cannot be contested, any lawsuit would have to directly involve the operating software and as stated earlier, QNX has been used in auto, air and transportation controllers long before any tablet ever existed. Apologize for the previous, but I could not resist.

05-30-11 05:27 PM
    I think any lawsuit would be in regards to the user interface, not the operating system, so the age of QNX would be moot.

On another note, I saw someone on the forums the other day claim that TAT had a hand in WebOS. Can anyone confirm this? If this is factual, is it possible that TAT retained enough of the intellectual property to insulate RIM from a lawsuit in this regard? It seems unlikely that Palm would have allowed a company working on their behalf to retain IP rights, but I suppose it's not impossible.
    05-30-11 08:15 PM
    A lot of tablets have certain similarities. Unless actual patents were stolen or there's an obvious sign of duplication I can't see there being any such lawsuit. Then again, the way companies tend to sue one another these days you just never know. In my opinion I don't think RIM has crossed any boundaries here though. RIM is not the hop on the bandwagon type and they are more than capable of creating their own unique products.
    05-30-11 10:04 PM
    Right now hpq has too many worries. Hpq is in a current hiring freeze and they are focusing on cutting their costs any way possible. Heck, even nok and aapl have ongoing suits.

05-31-11 01:58 AM
    RIM is not the hop on the bandwagon type and they are more than capable of creating their own unique products.
    So why didn't they? Why shamelessly rip the webOS ui?
    05-31-11 04:22 AM
    They aint steal the UI from palm at all if you used any recent palm phones and use the playbook you would see a big difference theres noting here stating or showing that RIM has stolen anything but if im not mistaken before everybody was bashing blackberry & before palm purchashed handspring RIM had a library full of patents with handspring before palm bought them so why would sue a company when you have part right to use almost any form factor they use look at the torch dont it remind you of a palm device and dont the palm keyboard remind you of a keyboard? i dont see no sueing coming HP aint worried about that cause they know they shouldve let RIM buy palm instead cause now they in crisis
    05-31-11 06:58 PM
    HP is always doing stuff like that. Talk to any HP employee. They don't need to be "worried" to be focused on cutting costs than any other company. All it takes is greed, something HP has always had.

Right now hpq has too many worries. Hpq is in a current hiring freeze and they are focusing on cutting their costs any way possible. Heck, even nok and aapl have ongoing suits.

05-31-11 09:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD