I keep hearing in multiple threads about how RIM needs to change their operating system. Alot of people seem to think that the current system is outdated and RIM is only offering minor changes with 5.0. I dont see all that much wrong with the o/s, its very fast and efficient. Can we get a couple of details here on what exactly needs to be changed outside of the browser and more games??????
    07-08-09 02:51 PM
    You are hearing the noise from squeaky wheels. The BlackBerry OS as evolved to a state of near perfection and efficiency.

It is designed to do one thing and do it exceptionally well. It is the link in the communications chain that you hold in your hand.

It is all about that. Flashy graphics are a distraction.

07-08-09 02:53 PM
    You are hearing the noise from squeaky wheels. The BlackBerry OS as evolved to a state of near perfection and efficiency.

It is designed to do one thing and do it exceptionally well. It is the link in the communications chain that you hold in your hand.

completely agree. I dont see what all the fuss is about. Hint the tittle of the thread
    07-08-09 02:57 PM
    I wish they could implement the Search feature into the Address Book and Calendar. For instance, If you want to search the Calendar, you have to leave the Calendar, then open the Search application. The same applies to the Address Book. If they could perhaps add it to the menu in the Address Book and Calendar.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-09 03:33 PM
    I wish they could implement the Search feature into the Address Book and Calendar. For instance, If you want to search the Calendar, you have to leave the Calendar, then open the Search application. The same applies to the Address Book. If they could perhaps add it to the menu in the Address Book and Calendar.

you can search through your address book, you just start typing what you are looking for when it opens. Now the calendar is a different story, I agree with you on that one
    07-08-09 03:56 PM
    I gve the OS a 8/10, yeah it may not browse web pages like the Iphone, and the media is not an Ipod (which is what everyone complains about) but my BB Curve is solid at what it does! I think RIM needs to add simple functions to their OS (like easier ringtone management, lights up when an alert comes in, search function for everything) you know the stuff that we have to go to 3rd party vendors to buy!!! thats all, otherwise than that... ROCK ON RIM!!!
    07-08-09 04:01 PM
    you can search through your address book, you just start typing what you are looking for when it opens. Now the calendar is a different story, I agree with you on that one
    It doesn't allow you to do a more detail search like the Search app. The Search app can find contacts by numbers as well.
    07-08-09 04:18 PM
    People do seem to forget it is a phone and a damn good phone at that. Every phone/gadget will have some kind of downfall, you just have to pick which feature you can do without.

I have a pearl and an 80 gig ipod and i get along just fine.
    Last edited by RobotnumberOne; 07-08-09 at 05:12 PM. Reason: i edit every post for no reason
    07-08-09 05:11 PM
    I think it's fine but it can look a little bit outdated compared to newer phones' operating systems. Perception matters and hopefully blackberry can evolve to meet the needs of both consumers and corporate. its hard to entirely satisfy either crowd, but to do both is another story!
    07-08-09 05:30 PM
    If they changed it enough for the "stale and boring" crowd, you'd have even more irritated users asking why they felt the need to change it so much. The sameness is its beauty. No need to relearn how to do the same things in the interest of "freshness". With a 2 minute explanation, I had users going from 8700s to Curves and not miss a beat. And these aren't young tech-savvy folks, for the most part.
    07-08-09 07:20 PM
    While the OS is efficient at what it was designed around, the enterprise, with RIM going hard for the comsumer market they really need to improve some things. I love the OS overall but it is severely lacking in its graphical/gaming capabilities.

I have a Bold and its a perfect example, its a workhorse of a machine, the most powerful processor in a BB, in fact one of the most powerful processors in a phone period. Yet it is horrible at running even mildy intense games.

Heres some statistics of MIDP 2.0 devices, have a look for the Bold....
    JBenchmark Result Database

HINT it's on page 16. You can download the app for free and try it yourself too.
    07-08-09 07:38 PM

Agreed, if you want to be flashy and are attracted to shiny things, get an iPhone. If you want quality and dependability, stay with your crackberry.
    07-08-09 07:48 PM
    I think the question we need to be asking is, how much of enterprise and consumer can you combine? They aren't exactly a homogeneous mixture.
    07-08-09 10:18 PM
    I wouldnt say there is much wrong with it, but there is always room for improvement.
    07-08-09 10:23 PM
    I think rim has done an excellent job with their OS. If I needed flashy graphics, I would have gone with an iphone or pre. I need functionality I choose the bb. It works great, fast and can multitask.

07-08-09 10:29 PM
    I think everyone here is pretty much in agreement that the os is great the way it is. When I started this thread I was hoping to attract some of the dissenters and nay sayers.
    07-08-09 10:41 PM
    The only complaint I have with the OS is the web browser, it needs to be a lot faster. Although between 4.5 and 4.6 there is a HUGE improvement on how it renders pages. I just think it's a little rediculious that it takes my brand new Bold 10 minutes of "clock time" to render the desktop version of Crackberry forums.

If the web browser was re-written, the OS would be perfect.

Actually, on further thought the profiles could change a bit. I like the amount of control, but I have gotten very used to changing the ringer volume on the fly with the volume control on the iPhone.

EDIT: It would also be nice if it would work with Apple's iSync program (however that's probably more something Apple would have to work on than RIM, or maybe someone could write an app).
    Last edited by Benjamindaines; 07-08-09 at 10:57 PM.
    07-08-09 10:45 PM
    I think everyone here is pretty much in agreement that the os is great the way it is. When I started this thread I was hoping to attract some of the dissenters and nay sayers.
    I think what you have done is to make dissenters really think about the lines they use over and over again.
    When you really break it down, there is not too much wrong with the OS.
    top 4 things we see over and over:
    1) Web Browser
    2) Looks of the UI
    3) IMAP email
    4) Ease of development

Certainly none of these are REALLY due to the OS as much as add ons to the OS. But with the influx of mass media and newbies The Web Browser = the OS.

That being said. I imagine that if RIM were to include a Webkit browser, add full IMAP support and add the options of Funky graphics and animations, most of the dissention would be gone. Ease of development.......ehhhh...I can't speak to that AT ALL. I do know that Developing for WebOS or iphone is said to be easier.
    07-09-09 08:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD