Just upgraded to 6.0 and as I browse the net, I see no real browsing difference from 5.0. Maybe i'm missing something. Can someone please breakdown the difference?
    01-25-11 09:47 PM
    Just upgraded to 6.0 and as I browse the net, I see no real browsing difference from 5.0. Maybe i'm missing something. Can someone please breakdown the difference?
    It has tabs. It's slightly faster. Saves Passwords. They made it look snazzy.

That's all.
    01-25-11 09:48 PM
    It's the browser engine that all the other good ones are built on. It renders significantly quicker than the OS5 version (if you don't see that, it could just be a slower 3G connection). It also renders pages more accurately than its predecessor. I see a lot of styles and controls in the OS6 browser that just flat didn't work in OS5.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-11 09:57 PM
    You want a better browsing experience, you'll have to get an Android, or (gulp) a "Flashless" iPhone. 6.0 isn't god's gift to the smart phone browser world. it's just an incremental improvement.
    01-25-11 09:58 PM
    You want a better browsing experience, you'll have to get an Android, or (gulp) a "Flashless" iPhone. 6.0 isn't god's gift to the smart phone browser world. it's just an incremental improvement.
    I'm not big on web browsing from my 9650. A few sites here and there but that's about it. I just figured i'd check it out since everyone was making it out to be the best thing since sliced bread. Dont see anything all THAT different from the browser on my previous OS.
    Last edited by deevel79; 01-25-11 at 10:05 PM.
    01-25-11 10:02 PM
    It really isn't that big of a difference...I still rock os6, but 99% of the time still on old beta 2 version of OM5...which is still solid as ever.

I like the UI layout and Universal search and how contacts is laid out and when making a call.

01-25-11 10:07 PM
    I'm not big on web browsing from my 9650. A few sites here and there but that's about it. I just figured i'd check it out since everyone was making it out to be the best thing since sliced bread. Dont see anything all THAT different from the browser on my previous OS.
    You know the old saying, that when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail? Well, the opposite of that is when you have a BB, you don't WANT to browse the internet. On the other platforms, the experience is better, and hence one will tend to use the browser more (everything else being equal). ESPECIALLY if you have a LARGE screen phone. The Storm's screen, resolution, and speed of the internet makes for a sad experience. Your screen is even smaller than mine.
    01-25-11 11:27 PM
    I find the browser way, way better. I hardly used it before because pages took forever to load and didn't render very well...and that was mobile sites. Forget full websites.

With the Torch, I surf all the time. I use mobile sites or full ones, depending on the site. I don't love surfing on a phone due to the small screen (I don't care for it on my iPod Touch, either), but it's very useful now. Before, it wasn't worth the hassle.
    01-25-11 11:59 PM
    don't forget about html5 support...
    01-26-11 12:16 AM
    You probably won't notice the speed increase of the webkit browser until rim finally decides to up the specs in the phones. Newer cpu would make the webkit browser shine much better.

01-26-11 12:27 AM
    I'm pretty sure that's not what the OP asked.

01-26-11 02:40 AM
    Webkit browser does seem quite a bit faster to me, especially on wifi plus it renders text so you can read it when you zoom in on full web pages.

01-26-11 02:42 AM
    You know the old saying, that when you have a hammer, everything looks like a nail? Well, the opposite of that is when you have a BB, you don't WANT to browse the internet. On the other platforms, the experience is better, and hence one will tend to use the browser more (everything else being equal). ESPECIALLY if you have a LARGE screen phone. The Storm's screen, resolution, and speed of the internet makes for a sad experience. Your screen is even smaller than mine.
    That may have been the case on my Bold with OS5, but it's absolutely not so with the Torch. I did as little browsing as possible on the Bold because I found it to be a basically painful experience, and it wasn't just the size of the display. With the Torch now I'm constantly browsing. It doesn't replace the desktop browsing experience, and yes there are other mobile devices do it better; but browsing with the OS6 webkit browser is infinitely better than with its predecessor. THAT's what the OP asked.
    01-26-11 06:07 AM
    That may have been the case on my Bold with OS5, but it's absolutely not so with the Torch. I did as little browsing as possible on the Bold because I found it to be a basically painful experience, and it wasn't just the size of the display. With the Torch now I'm constantly browsing. It doesn't replace the desktop browsing experience, and yes there are other mobile devices do it better; but browsing with the OS6 webkit browser is infinitely better than with its predecessor. THAT's what the OP asked.
    +1 to that. I never browsed the net on my Bold. Now I'm constantly browsing on my Torch.
    01-26-11 12:40 PM
    its so good that I forgot how the original browser was like

01-26-11 01:14 PM
    Except it's missing column view and minimum font size..

Went back to OS5 because of this. And won't get OS6 till it has these two options back!

01-26-11 01:47 PM

Went back to OS5 because of this. And won't get OS6 till it has these two options back!

I agree entirely! w/o column view the new browser is a zooming/scrolling PAIN IN THE A..!

01-26-11 02:00 PM

OS6 browser does have column view (at least on a touch-screen) -- double-tap in the text area and it zooms and reformats the text to fit the screen width.

There's also a default font size setting in the Browser options that works pretty well, until you go to a page with a large image, then you need to pinch-zoom or double-tap to enlarge the font.
    01-26-11 02:02 PM
    The webkit browser is an awesome improvement but either the current generation of BB's CPU speed or the RIM OS itself is holding the speed back a bit.
    01-26-11 02:04 PM
    I must be out of the loop...I constantly browsed on os5 and os6...about the same...a lot!

Patience must be a virtue or something waiting those extra few seconds....

01-26-11 02:55 PM
    OS6 browser does have column view (at least on a touch-screen) -- double-tap in the text area and it zooms and reformats the text to fit the screen width.

There's also a default font size setting in the Browser options that works pretty well, until you go to a page with a large image, then you need to pinch-zoom or double-tap to enlarge the font.
    On non-touch devices it works, just have to play with it. If you click on the text it will bring it up, but is touchy and just don't render like it did in os5...if it did, I would use more of the webkit. Also when you use Alt+trackpad to flick it to render column view it is uber small text...

01-26-11 03:03 PM
    I browse all the time on mine. I like how the web pages render more accurately, the html5 and the speed of it. I think it's an improvement personally but I was never that excited by sliced bread so I might have had lower expectations.
    01-26-11 03:09 PM
    One of the things that might be in play here is viewing mobile websites. If you are viewing a mobile website, you shouldn't see any differences (like the mobile version Crackberry).

If you are viewing the full website, you should notice some differences. Full websites should render better (possibly even faster). Drop down menus should propagate properly. You might even notice some (non-flash) animations work better.
    01-26-11 03:15 PM

Tried changing the default font setting, it doesn't do anything on most sites.

Reflowing the text when tapping is nice and all but if you have to scroll down to read more you go left right all places. Maybe not with the Torch and its touch screen but with a bold + trackpad it sucks.

OS5 column view + large minimum font size always works 100%. OS6 column view is a joke.

I do not want to zoom in & zoom out. Just give me the text/content ready to read at any distance I am from the display after loading.
    01-27-11 02:49 AM
    Bolt is quite good in regards to column view, since all the text is condensed for the screen even though the website is the full length and width.

01-27-11 03:57 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD