why rush QNX phones? Really what's the big deal? I read article after article saying that RIM needs a BIG hit with QNX to gain back momentum against Android and Apple.... I think a few knocks of reality.

one no matter what happens the iphone 5 is going to sell a zillion and one pieces. It doesn't matter if the next QNX device is a hologram and all you have to do is snap your finger to make it appear. Sadly nothing will put a dent in iphone sells so forget that. We all know ios is the same thing over and over again. The email client is a nightmare the phones reception is hellish and the speaker phone is a joke but this device flies off the shelves.

every 15 min a new android phone is release and lets face it 80% of them run like crap outside of HTC sense. So their sales have to be through the roof you can't help but run into their phones.

a key selling point for these devices are all the silly games we all love to play.
    I work in the financial district of nyc and for my own pleasure I ask Ios and android users why they choose the devices they carry. Most android users say they want something other then ios... Then they get into ease of use and the gaming apps... Ios users say the something games games games. True story one of my buddies with a iphone 4 say he didnt even know the iphone had a speaker phone option..... And the tabs.... Hahaha I'm sorry but we all know the playbook runs any android tab under the table... I never used the jetstream but every other android tab I ever used runs like crap. And iPad users lol I love them the most. More than half of them don't even know why they have the device they just do.

people will take a backseat to proper communication and a well built cellphone any day. They want angry birds! When users like us are concerned about sending and receiving emails properly their worried about three stars on the angry birds level they been playing all week.... And who can blame them? Its what they paid for.... Its what sells these gaming/cellphone devices.

so why rush QNX? Unless it has any of these silly games its not going anywhere
    willtothewong likes this.
    09-10-11 02:24 AM
    Well said. There is no reason to rush QNX. Android and iOS are playtoys. iOS being the king of that. Unfortunately Blackberry doesn't get all the attention because of the ****** games. No one can think of that. Also angry birds can now be EASILY made for BBOS 7. Like it has all the capabilities of iOS (almost) so why don't they? What is it for the reason that Rovio thinks that all the sales will happen in Android and iOS. I think they should think again. Angry Birds is a reason why some even switch platforms for.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Ammunet91 likes this.
    09-10-11 03:34 AM
    Agreed, I think RIM has some major hits with the new line of Blackberries just released. Seriously, the last few moths have been brutal for the BB faithful. Today, we're actually seeing Android, WP7 and even iPhone users returning to RIM, It's pretty cool.

In all honesty, there is nothing wrong with the other platforms. However, the increased rate that Android devices come out is staggering. It oversaturates the market and confuses the average consumer. Also, they are starting to look the same. Aside from the Moto Pro (yuk!), Droid (1,2 & 3 good refinments on Motorolas part), and LG which sport keyboards. Windows is a bit on the slow side in coming out with newer devices. I do find their platform interesting and had considered it a bit. Apple, well "One iPhone to rule them all, One iPhone to find them, One iPhone to bring them all and in the darkness bind them" Personally, give me a good, solid Blackberry and a tablet and I'm good to go.
    09-10-11 07:43 AM
    Why the rush? Okay, let's push it to 2015 for QNX then. Sounds good?
    09-10-11 10:14 AM
    Android and iOS are playtoys. iOS being the king of that.
    Yet people run their businesses off of these devices every day.

When will the ignorance ever stop?

Let me ask, when BBs are able to play the same games and do everything else that makes Android and iOS "playtoys", what are you going to say about BBs? Is it going to be acceptable? If so, you are a hypocrite.
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-10-11 10:18 AM
    Avt - no. Becuase at the end of the day, when BBs can play games too, they will still be better communications devices.

09-10-11 11:04 AM
    Avt - no. Becuase at the end of the day, when BBs can play games too, they will still be better communications devices.

And that is just your opinion though. Different strokes for different folks. The BB will be a better communications device for you.

Better is all just opinion. Someone may prefer a dumbphone for communication. Guess what, for them, that is better.

I have used BBs (8330, 9000, 9700), Android devices and the iPhone since the 3G. I have not had any problems communications perfectly on all of the devices, and actually prefer some of them over the other when it comes to certain things regarding communication.
    09-10-11 11:20 AM
    I hope BlackBerry devices never can play all the games the other platform phones can. I take pride in my BlackBerry's lack of games.

09-10-11 11:39 AM
    Just don't download them. Games are coming. Especially with QNX. You have a choice to utilize them or not.
    09-10-11 11:41 AM
    It's not just games. It's Netflix, MLB.tv, and non-truncated HTML emails as well.
    Buzz_Dengue and jonathon.94 like this.
    09-10-11 11:42 AM
    And that is just your opinion though. Different strokes for different folks. The BB will be a better communications device for you.

Better is all just opinion. Someone may prefer a dumbphone for communication. Guess what, for them, that is better.

I have used BBs (8330, 9000, 9700), Android devices and the iPhone since the 3G. I have not had any problems communications perfectly on all of the devices, and actually prefer some of them over the other when it comes to certain things regarding communication.
    Sooo let me get this straight you have an Iphone 4. Are you saying you actually don't mind hitting refresh regularly in your message inbox when it comes to emails?
    jaytee1o4 likes this.
    09-10-11 03:02 PM
    times have changed. in my opinion nothing beats getting my emails as they come in and having a proper phone in terms of build quality. other people would rather have games and silly apps. All I'm saying is thats whats selling right now so no matter what RIM does with QNX or anything else it will not be a selling point for the customer that wants Wonky Wonk's Adventure or what ever silly games people play. Sad but true. The wild thing is IF RIM did start to fold to the pressure of these apps and games I bet you my mothers eyes they would start selling again.....

There are small changes being made and games are coming but hey it is what it is.
    09-10-11 06:09 PM
    why rush QNX phones? Really what's the big deal? I read article after article saying that RIM needs a BIG hit with QNX to gain back momentum against Android and Apple.... I think a few knocks of reality.

I work in the financial district of nyc and for my own pleasure I ask Ios and android users why they choose the devices they carry.
    You may work in the financial district, but if you're asking why RIM might be hurrying to release a QNX device I have to question just how much you understand about finance.

Also angry birds can now be EASILY made for BBOS 7. Like it has all the capabilities of iOS (almost) so why don't they?
    Yeah, why don't they? I can only conclude that they've yet to determine it's worth the investment.

Sooo let me get this straight you have an Iphone 4. Are you saying you actually don't mind hitting refresh regularly in your message inbox when it comes to emails?
    iOS supports push e-mail if the provider offers it.

Push Gmail for iPhone and Windows Mobile - Official Gmail Blog

MobileMe: Advanced fetch settings for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch

Facts are our friends.
    09-10-11 06:18 PM
    not sure why people want more than what is usually on BB devices myself. i am happy with the dated looking RIM 5 OS they use on my Curve. can't imagine better for my needs. i think it stands out as an iconic BlackBerry thing. i would not like them as much if they tried harder to resemble Android or iOS. i am not a happy camper on Android and iOS is still not as good as the simple and fast OS that i use on my Curve. keep what has worked since the 850 yeesh everything is so becoming a game of keeping up with the Joneses that all the phones look alike. now RIM wants theirs to blend in too?
    09-10-11 07:22 PM
    I used an iphone 3g for 2 years and had push email from outlook the entire time I had it. It also had push email from gmail. I never 'sat there and hit refresh'. The push email capabilities of the blackberry were really cutting edge back in 2007. Nowadays basically everything supports it. iPhone and Android phones are far superior in many ways, in fact.

The support for email on the blackberry is actually very bad if you aren't using BES. I switched to the 9810 from an android phone, and I'm thinking of returning it just because it doesn't support exchange activesync like nearly every android/iphone does. My android phone was getting push email from my work outlook server, my freelance company's google apps, and 2 gmail accounts. All of them had full calendar support and contact sync. The emails are much slower to come on the 9810, and some of them never show up at all.
    Last edited by roybotnik; 09-10-11 at 09:47 PM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-10-11 09:45 PM
    there is Push email on the iPhones it is just not real-time. you can set the interval to 5 minutes to an hour or two perhaps but that's it. not that i complain about real-time vs interval refreshes.
    09-11-11 11:59 AM
    there is Push email on the iPhones it is just not real-time. you can set the interval to 5 minutes to an hour or two perhaps but that's it. not that i complain about real-time vs interval refreshes.
    It's not real time? Send me an email and I guarantee it is instantly on my device. Possibly a 5 second wait, no more than that.

Also, all email set up through exchange accounts is push.
    09-11-11 03:39 PM
    So let me get this straight, you just assume I don't have a push email account?

Before you sound ignorant,maybe you should do some research. I don't press refresh at all. My device receives my email instantly.

Like Economist said, facts are you friends. Maybe you should go hang out with them a little more so you absorb some.
    Last edited by avt123; 09-11-11 at 03:43 PM.
    Chrisy likes this.
    09-11-11 03:41 PM
    On my 3GS I have interval checking. Perhaps the IPhone 4 does not. My mistake.

09-11-11 09:34 PM
    I'd say they need to push QNX out there to cater to the gamers' needs. Let's face it: business users are not enough to keep RIM in the game, they need casual users to improve their financial, and if the capability to run Angry Birds, FarmVille, and The Sims at the same time is what it takes to capture their heart, then that's what RIM have to go for.

iPhone and Android may very well be gaming phone, but they sell very well. The last phrase is very important to businesses.

09-11-11 10:53 PM

I have had push email on the iPhone since the 3G.
    09-12-11 08:38 AM

Yes, you can select intervals refresh. But, if your provider supports "push," you also get a "push" option. GMail, Yahoo, Hotmail, Exchange (ActiveSync) and MobileMe are examples of the latter. And, as avt123 already noted, "push" support has existed since the 3G at least.
    09-12-11 10:10 AM
    I'd say they need to push QNX out there to cater to the gamers' needs. Let's face it: business users are not enough to keep RIM in the game, they need casual users to improve their financial, and if the capability to run Angry Birds, FarmVille, and The Sims at the same time is what it takes to capture their heart, then that's what RIM have to go for.

iPhone and Android may very well be gaming phone, but they sell very well. The last phrase is very important to businesses.

I'm going to take the contrarion approach and say QNX will hurt, rather than help, RIM. If RIM's goal is to make Blackberrys into iphones, that won't work. The iphone users won't convert and the devoted BB users will probably go elsewhere. I think RIM needs to focus on having Blackberry be the best device for business users (which I think it is) and accept that it's going to have smaller market share than it did a few years ago. Playing catch-up with Apple (and android) in the consumer/gamer space is going to be futile, and RIM should realize that the people who are sticking with the Blackberry do so because they aren't iphones/droids. If we wanted one of those devices, we'd already have one.
    09-12-11 04:13 PM
    ^Agreed. I hate the consumer/gamer space.

09-12-11 05:27 PM
    ActiveSync is push email.

It's built into most other consumer smartphone OSes.

Windows Mobile, WebOS, Android, iOS, Windows Phone 7, and Bada all have ActiveSync support built-in

RIM is the oddball here. Until they support ActiveSync I don't even think they should market their email capabilities to consumers. Not supporting ActiveSync at the end of 2011 is terrible.

And QNX phones are needed because BBOS is terrible. You can put Lipstick on a Pig, but it's still a Pig. HTC did the same thing on their HD2 smartphone with Windows Mobile. It looked good, until you went beyond the obvious upper layer and the non-touch optimized Interface Started showing its face again. BBOS 7 is the same way.

I know it's unfathomable to a lot of people here, but way more people prefer full touch devices than QWERTY... WAY more. And this OS simply doesn't cut it for full touch devices. Even the people on the CB Podcast agree with that.
    Last edited by N8ter; 09-12-11 at 07:10 PM.
    09-12-11 07:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD