Hi guys. This is my first post at this forum. I've been a long time lurker. I've decided to get a blackberry since I love the way they look and it seems like the best phone on the market right now. Now my question is, which is the best blackberry for me? I won't have a data plan but I would like to use wifi. I also want a trackpad because I've used the trackball before and I didn't like it. Also, a good camera wouldn't be a bad thing. I've been looking at the bold 9700 and curve 8520. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
    02-01-11 10:10 PM
    1) If you are not getting a data plan there is NO best BlackBerry for you.

2) No one can tell you what is best for you. Sorry but it is true.

3) Start with the best carrier for your area and then get the phone that work best there.

4) All BlackBerrys are essentially the same. Any will do.
    02-01-11 10:16 PM
    So there's no point of getting a blackberry without data plan? I like the look of it and can get a curve 8520 for about 100$ which is cheaper than most phones anyways
    02-01-11 10:20 PM
    There's no point to having a Blackberry without a data plan. I agree with AG check out who's the best carrier in your area. That is the most important factor in your decision. You mentioned the 9700 and 8520, I would say the 9700, it's a better device and is capable of running OS 6 and a higher resolution screen. The 9780 is the newer Bold following the 9700, the 9700 though is a great device. But if you're not going to have a data plan....why have a BB? Is it for looks?
    02-01-11 10:56 PM
    Gosh, you say there's no point to a BB without data (your own opinion), then say there's no best BB for the OP?

OP, just get the phone you like whether it be the 9700 or 8520. Just take note that the keyboards on both have different feel, so pick one which suits you the best. The camera on 8520 is abysmal by the way.
    02-02-11 12:24 AM
    Well, quick question before totally dismissing a BB without a data plan ... is data required for texting? I thought with some carriers, like maybe Verizon, texts were part of the voice plan. In that case, the BB isn't totally bricked without a data plan.

But to support what AG and others say, the biggest strength of a BB is its all-around messaging capability, which includes texts, BBM, and email, and at least two of those three require data. Without a data plan, it's just another phone, and to that end, one just has to ask what's the point of having a BB if you only need a phone. Lots of freebie devices from the carriers to handle that and other basic tasks.
    02-02-11 09:11 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't even activate a BB without the data plan.
    02-02-11 09:19 AM
    Yea you can buy the blackberry and just put ur sim card in, no data plan is necessary if you don't buy it from the store. Also, the reason why I want one without the plan is that it looks nice and it's one of the easiest phones to text on. and i don't wanna pay 300$ a year for the plan.
    02-02-11 11:53 AM
    You may want to search the other forums around here, as I've seen this question asked before. I think there is an issue with browsing on WiFi if you don't have a data plan.

Blackberries are made to go through BIS (or BES if Exchange), and while BIS can communicate through WiFi, there may be an activation issue or some sort without the data plan.
    02-02-11 12:55 PM
    My brother has the phone... without data plan.
    02-02-11 01:42 PM
    If you do not want a data plan, you would be better off with an iPhone or Android, provided your carrier even allows smartphones without data plans (many do not). You cannot use any of the native apps from RIM with just Wi-Fi (these include BlackBerry Messenger, email, MMS, IM, Facebook, Twitter, and App World). Without a BlackBerry data plan, you cannot even use any Google apps, such as Google Maps. If you want to use only Wi-Fi, an iPhone or Android will allow much more functionality.
    02-02-11 02:03 PM
    I didn't say it wouldn't work, but there can be issues or some features that don't work. Or you'll have to tweak a bunch of settings to get it working smoothly. Just be aware before you do it. I've seen people post here about getting it to work properly. Just search so you know what you're in for.

As for which model, the 9700 has better specs and would probably be nicer overall. But, really, you should try them both out at a store if you can and see which you like better.
    02-02-11 02:05 PM
    My friend used a BB 8300 for texting purposes only. If you're just looking for a full keyboard, either would work. 9700 is a nicer phone, but why spend the money when all you're looking for is a full keyboard. I say pick the cheaper one as you'll not be using the full benefits of a BB without data.
    02-02-11 02:42 PM
    The Blackberry torch is pretty sick
    02-02-11 07:25 PM
    Most carriers will require you to have a data plan on any smartphone. Once your IMEI hits their system, a data plan is automatically added. The only carrier that will not add a data plan for the 8100/8120/8220 is T-Mobile, to the best of my knowledge.
    02-02-11 08:45 PM
    yea i have tmobile. I found a 9700 unlocked on craigslist for 200$, im still not sure if i shud even do it without the data plan. does anyone know how much it costs per month for data at tmobile?
    02-02-11 09:19 PM
    Most carriers will require you to have a data plan on any smartphone. Once your IMEI hits their system, a data plan is automatically added. The only carrier that will not add a data plan for the 8100/8120/8220 is T-Mobile, to the best of my knowledge.
    Wow, is that even ethical? What about consumer rights?
    02-02-11 10:17 PM
    Either phone will do great. The 9700 has a faster cpu and it is 3g if you ever get the data pkg. At the moment if you put your sim in a BB on att they will add the bb data plan. However you can call and get it removed. What your going to have to do is block data to it. This prolly won't last long though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-11 10:22 PM
    Wow, is that even ethical? What about consumer rights?
    Consumer rights? You gotta be kidding me? You're signing a contract and agree to the providers terms of service which include a mandatory data plan on select devices, this is not anything new.
    02-02-11 10:24 PM
    yea i have tmobile. I found a 9700 unlocked on craigslist for 200$, im still not sure if i shud even do it without the data plan. does anyone know how much it costs per month for data at tmobile?
    as per the Tmobile website they have $10 data plans for a limited time, you need to do more research with the proper sources instead of asking questions which you can easily look up yourself.

here you go:

tmobile.com

BTW Blackberry's are all about BIS and highly limited without it even on wifi. As said before, if you don't plan on getting a data plan then look for another device that will offer more.
    Last edited by JD914; 02-02-11 at 10:30 PM.
    02-02-11 10:26 PM
    As an FYI, my wife has a blackberry 8330 with no dataplan and she loves it. Unfortunately, that would be impossible to do now (we have At&t)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-11 10:47 PM
    Consumer rights? You gotta be kidding me? You're signing a contract and agree to the providers terms of service which include a mandatory data plan on select devices, this is not anything new.
    It's definitely new to me then. It's unheard of in Singapore. Our carriers don't force data plans on us by putting it in the contract.
    02-02-11 11:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD