12-11-10 09:38 PM
    True, yet kind of one sided.

RIM is working on new device and a whole new OS.

I know it sucks to say 'be patient'

but by Q2-Q3 we should be on par... we hope.

The hints are in Big Mikes words in the PlayBook videos around.
    12-11-10 09:50 PM

Surely you jest.
    12-11-10 10:37 PM

i would rather play the lottery, better odds
    K Bear likes this.
    12-11-10 10:38 PM
    This has made the rounds before, he has several incorrect reads and then jumps to conclusions when there are actual figures for some of the data he estimates.
    12-12-10 12:01 AM
    i would rather play the lottery, better odds
    Couldn't agree more.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-10 12:20 AM

I wouldn't call it one-sided, seemed to me to be the first article I've read that actually offered constructive criticism without actually bashing RIM. And it would appear that perhaps RIM really is starting to wake up with the acquisition of two companies for redesigning the UI and OS, which takes some load off current employees that like to shrug and release as-is when they're told to. So yeah - patience is going to be a must, especially if he's right and there's going to be an 18-24 month turnaround starting with the Playbook. That's an astronomically long time in this day and age of smartphone platforms. And personally, I think RIM should stop trying to copy Apple (as it's been said a billion times already) and copy (drumroll) Android. Google took a page out of Microsoft's world domination handbook with Android: make software the dominant feature with a few hardware projects, and make it so companies won't hesitate to ship it with their hardware. Actually, maybe RIM is copying Google's Android purchase with the QNX purchase, come to think of it. Article might be a bit dated or the author wasn't considering that. So I can see where you're coming from, fubaz, unless I'm totally off my rocker at 5am.

12-12-10 04:46 AM

I think the on par estimate here forgets that the other device manufacturers are not standing still.

The new device whatever it is should aim to be something inspiring. Something bleeding edge that trumps the competition's specs, performance, and functionality. The new device needs to be part of a multiple pronged attack with radical advancements in hardware, OS/software, and BIS functionality/improving browsing lag, etc.
    12-12-10 06:58 AM
    I think the on par estimate here forgets that the other device manufacturers are not standing still.

The new device whatever it is should aim to be something inspiring. Something bleeding edge that trumps the competition's specs, performance, and functionality. The new device needs to be part of a multiple pronged attack with radical advancements in hardware, OS/software, and BIS functionality/improving browsing lag, etc.
    You don't want to compete on hardware, but you want to offer a compelling solution.
    12-12-10 08:48 AM
    You don't want to compete on hardware, but you want to offer a compelling solution.
    In the consumer market where average folks (not hardcore BB fans) are drawn to more powerful hardware to drive a richer web experience, etc, one would be hardpressed to find a way to think that not competing on hardware and offering a compelling solutuon are anything but mutually exclusive goals.
    12-12-10 08:58 AM
    I don't think most folks think that high end hardware automatically makes a better phone. I do think eye candy plays a big role, and I'm not into eye candy.

Now if you want to say rim should have offered up a decent browser from the get go I would agree.

But I wouldn't leave rim just for the browser and I'm not a hardcore user, although I am a satisified user. Not super satisified just satisfied.

12-12-10 10:38 AM
    In the consumer market where average folks (not hardcore BB fans) are drawn to more powerful hardware to drive a richer web experience, etc, one would be hardpressed to find a way to think that not competing on hardware and offering a compelling solutuon are anything but mutually exclusive goals.
    This is totally true, but sometimes hardware takes a backseat to design - I got the S2 over the OG Droid because it was too clunky for my tastes, and the X and Evo are both just to large. Droid 2, now that I can go for.

12-12-10 10:52 AM
    IMO all I am looking for is a little faster browsing with column view on a Bold style phone as os6 don't do that currently on my 9700.

Have more device memory, a more up to date processor and take a hair better pics...granted for 3.2mp's, the pics are quite nice.

Besides that, I am more than a satisfied customer. Love the KB, battery life, actually like the layout of os6 and customization...

To sum it up, I really am content, but the more the merrier I am, lol!

12-12-10 11:57 AM
    even if rim were to get to hardware and software parity in a year (the others guys aren't standing still and move faster). And this is a long shot at best. They would still be disadvantaged from a business and platform aspect because their ecosystems will be way way behind android and apple with almost no chance to catch up. There could be a buyers strike in OS6 once news leaks that a qnx bb phone is coming.

there are 81 tablets coming next year mostly from android, apple, and windows. rim will have two. engadget already is handling a two core android phone in late 2010. it's probably a q1 release for LG. things are moving quick out there.
    Last edited by dutchtender; 12-12-10 at 12:40 PM.
    12-12-10 12:37 PM
    even if rim were to get to hardware and software parity in a year (the others guys aren't standing still and move faster). And this is a long shot at best. They would still be disadvantaged from a business and platform aspect because their ecosystems will be way way behind android and apple with almost no chance to catch up. There could be a buyers strike in OS6 once news leaks that a qnx bb phone is coming.

there are 81 tablets coming next year mostly from android, apple, and windows. rim will have two. engadget already is handling a two core android phone in late 2010. it's probably a q1 release for LG. things are moving quick out there.
    You really think businesses will throw out BES, I don't think so. These days more control, not less control is the order of the day. RIM has a great enterprise ecosystem and we'll see where BESX winds up.
    12-12-10 03:01 PM
    You really think businesses will throw out BES, I don't think so. These days more control, not less control is the order of the day. RIM has a great enterprise ecosystem and we'll see where BESX winds up.
    enterprise is a small factor in the rim stock price. and yes BES is being replaced by exchange. it's taking a long time but the trend is to have employees Choose and bring their own device to work and let it be managed by exchange and other tools. what really drives the company is consumer adoption. and you know what is happening there.
    12-12-10 03:13 PM
    Once someone comes up with something offering similar functionality for significantly less money, they'll drop it like a hot potato...
    Last edited by the_sandman_454; 12-12-10 at 03:16 PM.
    12-12-10 03:13 PM
    I think blackberry is going through an identity crisis. They remind me a lot of IBM. RIM is slowly getting pushed out of the consumer market because there's too much competition in smartphones. These devices were made for business customers so that's what they should focus on. Its what they do best, security, email, take care of the business side of things.
    12-12-10 03:54 PM
    enterprise is a small factor in the rim stock price. and yes BES is being replaced by exchange. it's taking a long time but the trend is to have employees Choose and bring their own device to work and let it be managed by exchange and other tools. what really drives the company is consumer adoption. and you know what is happening there.
    I don't know where you get your information from, but BES is not being replaced by exchange. BES is needed for security and control of devices that contain secure company information.
    12-12-10 04:13 PM
    Once someone comes up with something offering similar functionality for significantly less money, they'll drop it like a hot potato...
    Okay, I'm waiting to see what this product is. Not saying it won't happen, but nobody here really has a crystal ball.
    12-12-10 04:14 PM
    Okay, I'm waiting to see what this product is. Not saying it won't happen, but nobody here really has a crystal ball.
    We know two key facts:
    1. Apple strongly desires to take over the enterprise market.
    2. Google/Android and manufacturers who produce devices on that OS strongly desire to take over the enterprise market.

Knowing these two key facts, is it really that hard to conceive that at least one of the two will eventually go after it hard in a take no prisoners sort of way.

These companies aren't exactly ran by clowns. They likely have a strong understanding of the needs of enterprise customers and I would be very surprised if they didn't spring something the market in a year or two.
    12-12-10 04:52 PM
    You do know that Exchange does not work the same way BES does, right? Exchange and BES aren't the same thing offered by different companies. They can, however, be used together. Not replacing the other.

there are 81 tablets coming next year mostly from android, apple, and windows. rim will have two.
    How many of those 81 tablets will be from Apple? How many tablets will Apple have realesed total next year? iPad, iPad 2 (obviously different memory capacities and methods of connectivity).

How old is the tablet market anyway? RIM is just getting into the tablet game. One could've used the same argument when the first iPhone came out. "But Palm, HTC, Motorola etc already have a lot of touchscreen devices with many more to come out next year. Apple will only have one. They need to try to catch-up to Microsoft/the PC by making Macs more affordable etc etc."

RIM manufactures + designs hardware and develops software in-house. Same with Apple (except they don't manufacture anything). The Android OS (optimized for tablets) is being spread out across TONS of manufacturers. Most of the Android tablets are being manufactured by "small start-ups" (like the Android tablets at LightInTheBox). They run official builds of Android, but are mostly pieces of crap hardware-wise and are basically knock-offs, hence the low price).

engadget already is handling a two core android phone in late 2010. it's probably a q1 release for LG. things are moving quick out there.
    RIM was never really a consumer products company in the first place, you know? They didn't even know regular, everyday people used their devices. Their first entry into the consumer market was in August of 2007 with the Pearl 81xx. The success of that brought the Curve series, the Storm series... RIM started to become a little more consumer minded.

Who honestly needs a dual core phone? RIM doesn't make devices for these people. Maybe they will someday, who knows? Right now, I don't think any one needs dual core. Not even a little. How much time do you people have on your hands where you need a phone that basically replaces your/the need for a tablet and/or actual computer? I don't even see why anyone would produce a phone with more than 1 GHz processor. When that becomes too slow, then go up. If you are requesting so much from your phone that 1 GHz is not sufficient enough, I strongly encourage you to rethink your life.
    12-12-10 05:39 PM
    BTW...

@dutchtender, you joined on the 4th of this month (8 days ago) and you already have 105 posts? I'm not sure whether you have a lot to say or if you are the second coming of a previously banned member But seriously,
    Last edited by CASH; 12-12-10 at 05:54 PM.
    12-12-10 05:52 PM
    [QUOTE=CASH;5859433]RIM was never really a consumer products company in the first place, you know? They didn't even know regular, everyday people used their devices. Their first entry into the consumer market was in August of 2007 with the Pearl 81xx. The success of that brought the Curve series, the Storm series... RIM started to become a little more consumer minded.

+1

if you're into social media, IM, or watching youtube then blackberry may not be the right smartphone for you. Android and iphone are designed for multimedia, blackberry is made for work.
    12-12-10 06:39 PM
    We know two key facts:
    1. Apple strongly desires to take over the enterprise market.
    2. Google/Android and manufacturers who produce devices on that OS strongly desire to take over the enterprise market.

Knowing these two key facts, is it really that hard to conceive that at least one of the two will eventually go after it hard in a take no prisoners sort of way.

These companies aren't exactly ran by clowns. They likely have a strong understanding of the needs of enterprise customers and I would be very surprised if they didn't spring something the market in a year or two.
    Desire is not reality. There is a huge risk for a certain segment of the enterprise market and government to abandon the controls offered by BES.

Yes, it is really hard to conceive they will just walk in there. RIM has already partially neutered this threat with BESX.

RIM isn't exactly run by clowns either, while they might flounder a bit in the consumer space, they have their eye on the ball (I hope) in the enterprise space.
    12-12-10 07:33 PM
104 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD