Sorry if this has been asked already but I searched and found nothing. So what is the point of having wifi on the S2? you already have access from verizon because you are paying extra for the plan. Is it just to have a faster connection while in range of a wifi router?
    10-23-09 12:46 PM
    It helps in areas where you may not have any signal or poor signal but have access to wifi. Verizon may have 5x more 3G coverage but you're not gonna have it in the middle of nowhere or inside of some buildings. You can also access the web and email while on a call through wifi.
    10-23-09 12:52 PM
    WiFi > Verizon's Network

In terms of speed WiFi will win anyday.

It also helps in low coverage areas.
    10-23-09 12:55 PM
    3G rocks!!!!
    10-23-09 12:58 PM
    Presumably it will also allow you to access some sites over wifi rather than over VZW's 3G network...as some sites are heavier on bandwidth
    10-23-09 12:59 PM
    3G rocks!!!!
    4g LTE > 3g
    10-23-09 12:59 PM
    WiFi > Verizon's Network

I found it didn't make much difference with my 8320. My understanding is that all data gets passed through RIM's BIS(/BES?) servers, whether using mobile data or wifi, which can actually reduce the speed you'll able to reach for uploads/downloads.

However, CDMA's lack of simultaneous call/data means wifi is great for talking and browsing. Also, as mentioned above, a 3G signal is still weaker inside buildings, so you'd be better of with a more consistent connection through wifi.

Lastly, for me, I plan on taking my handset abroad. That means data options will be free/cheaper when in wifi zones.
    10-23-09 01:08 PM
    If there is no service from Verizon(say you're in the mountains/desert/out of reach area...
    What are the chances of there bein a WIFI hotspot???
    And doesn't the WIFI signal have to pass through Rim's Server's anyway?
    10-23-09 01:10 PM
    Ok, Wi-Fi, let's clear a few things up.

First, the only data that goes through RIM's servers are the BB services. So BBM, PIN messages, etc. all route through RIM's servers.

Other apps like Opera Mini or certain IM applications can use Wi-Fi directly. That means it's just like a wireless connection on a laptop or netbook. No need for RIM's servers.

Wi-Fi is far faster than 3G, 4G, whatever else. Nothing comes close.

As for coverage, there are many cases where Wi-Fi is available when regular radio signals are not. Where I work is one such case. I have no idea if the S2 has UMA, but if it does then you'll see the advantage right away.
    10-23-09 01:17 PM
    Ok, Wi-Fi, let's clear a few things up.

First, the only data that goes through RIM's servers are the BB services. So BBM, PIN messages, etc. all route through RIM's servers.

Other apps like Opera Mini or certain IM applications can use Wi-Fi directly. That means it's just like a wireless connection on a laptop or netbook. No need for RIM's servers.

Wi-Fi is far faster than 3G, 4G, whatever else. Nothing comes close.

As for coverage, there are many cases where Wi-Fi is available when regular radio signals are not. Where I work is one such case. I have no idea if the S2 has UMA, but if it does then you'll see the advantage right away.
    Voda and VZW don't support UMA. Well, I don't think Voda does.

I'm not sure about your wifi logic. I seriously didn't notice any difference on my EDGE based Curve, ever, when using wifi. But maybe you're right. I was using the BB browser, maybe that's still passed through the BIS server?
    10-23-09 01:21 PM
    How can I tell if I have 3g right now where I am at? I currentky have a regular phone plan and my phone is showing two different signals....1x and EV. Is the EV signal the 3g network?
    10-23-09 01:31 PM
    First off, I am not an expert on this subject by any means, but I thought my experience this weekend might help explain why I think WiFi on the Storm2 will be a good thing.

I was at my brother's house this weekend. My nephew has an iPhone with WiFi. We were comparing how his iPhone and my Storm1 performed doing similar tasks. We had full bar service on both mobile networks for each phone. We compared our YouTube applications. Both the Storm and the iPhone rendered the same videos at about the same time with very similar (somewhat distorted) resolutions, (the same lower quality videos as has been common whenever I have used the Storm's YouTube App.)

Then, my nephew showed me the same videos using the WiFi on his iPhone and my brother's wireless cable modem in the house. The improvement in rendering speed and picture quality was substantial. It certainly made me want the Storm2 even more.

So from my uneducated point of view, the addition of WiFi to the Storm2 will be great, especially since I do not get full bar reception on my phone at home.

Rich
    10-23-09 01:31 PM
    Because Wifi is simply faster than any network's data connection. Also in certain circumstances, it's just good to have just in case. For instance a couple months ago me and my wife went on a cruise and instead of paying international data rates, just connected to the cruise's wifi for free and was good to go. There is just certain circumstances where you rather use wifi than the data network. If I am at home and downloading music or browsing the web, it's much faster which means battery lasts longer than if I would do the same things on just the network. Rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.
    10-23-09 01:33 PM
    First off, I am not an expert on this subject by any means, but I thought my experience this weekend might help explain why I think WiFi on the Storm2 will be a good thing.

I was at my brother's house this weekend. My nephew has an iPhone with WiFi. We were comparing how his iPhone and my Storm1 performed doing similar tasks. We had full bar service on both mobile networks for each phone. We compared our YouTube applications. Both the Storm and the iPhone rendered the same videos at about the same time with very similar (somewhat distorted) resolutions, (the same lower quality videos as has been common whenever I have used the Storm's YouTube App.)

Then, my nephew showed me the same videos using the WiFi on his iPhone and my brother's wireless cable modem in the house. The improvement in rendering speed and picture quality was substantial. It certainly made me want the Storm2 even more.

So from my uneducated point of view, the addition of WiFi to the Storm2 will be great, especially since I do not get full bar reception on my phone at home.

Rich
    Assuming it doesn't go through RIMs servers! I hope you and Radius are right about faster wifi.
    10-23-09 01:33 PM
    WiFi > Verizon's Network

It also helps in low coverage areas.
    I dont know about where you live, but running Opera on Verizon's 3G is FAST where im at. Amazingly fast. Much faster than the iPhone.
    10-23-09 01:34 PM
    There are 2 more advantages to wifi on a phone that I didn't see mentioned...

1. Wifi allows you to connect to a network so you can transfer files to and from other computers... use your phone as a wireless mouse and keyboard... and do other network related wizardry...

2. Wifi also allows for apps to be created to make a phone a wireless hotspot for other wireless devices and computers. Very handy when I had a windows mobile phone.

When wifi becomes ubiquitous to all phones and all technology in general the possibilities are close to limitless...

Oh and lastly... why not have wifi??

OUT.
    Last edited by cazwell220; 10-23-09 at 02:00 PM.
    10-23-09 01:51 PM
    Assuming it doesn't go through RIMs servers! I hope you and Radius are right about faster wifi.
    Wi-Fi is the fastest. Not sure about the 8320 implementation but using a browser I can immediately see the difference. Downloading a 2MB app over EDGE vs Wi-Fi is light night and day as well.

When I use BOLT I prefer Wi-Fi as well, I can load image heavy sites almost immediately but over EDGE it takes some time.

As for RIM servers, Wi-Fi is Wi-Fi, it's wireless internet and has nothing to do with RIM unless you try to use BBM or anything RIM specific.
    10-23-09 01:57 PM
    Soooooo since I didn't get an answer I'll post it again :P........ How can I tell if I have 3g right now where I am at? I currentky have a regular phone plan and my phone is showing two different signals....1x and EV. Is the EV signal the 3g network?
    10-23-09 02:04 PM
    so yes or no on uma?
    10-23-09 02:04 PM
    1XEV=3G

no uma.
    10-23-09 02:06 PM
    Soooooo since I didn't get an answer I'll post it again :P........ How can I tell if I have 3g right now where I am at? I currentky have a regular phone plan and my phone is showing two different signals....1x and EV. Is the EV signal the 3g network?
    1XEV is CDMA's version of 3G. Some people argue that 3G is faster than EVDO but It's user preference IMHO.
    10-23-09 02:08 PM
    TRAVEL/CONNECTIVITY options while traveling overseas!!! Thats all I have to say!
    10-23-09 02:08 PM
    TRAVEL/CONNECTIVITY options while traveling overseas!!! Thats all I have to say!
    Hellz yes to that, probably won't be in spots where I can get WIFI but the travellin aspect is a plus!
    10-23-09 02:14 PM
    1XEV is CDMA's version of 3G. Some people argue that 3G is faster than EVDO but It's user preference IMHO.
    Some people call it 2.5G rather than 3G... one of the biggest differences in ATT and Verizon/Sprint is that you can be on a call and do data related tasks (ie email, web browsing) at the same time. Not only that... but you can tether to your computer and take a call at the same time without disrupting your internet connection.

So it's a little more than just user preference outside of just speed comparison.
    10-23-09 02:21 PM
    Thanks, just making sure that I will be able to use my S2 where I work.
    10-23-09 02:21 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD