sorry for the hijack! yeah, think we need another thread for old school tech lol!
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-24-19 03:03 PM
    sorry for the hijack! yeah, think we need another thread for old school tech lol!
    I started one in general discussion.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    05-24-19 03:33 PM
    This is provably, measurably true, and something the amp designers would readily admit. However, even-more-modern tech is allowing processing that mimics those tube amps so perfectly that a large and growing number of big, professional bands are now taking these "modeling" amps on the road instead of big stacks of Fenders or Marshalls (some still bring empty cabinets to maintain the look, but they aren't hooked up). Those tube amps are hard to maintain on the road, and now that it is finally possible to get that sound on a solid-state amp, they're rapidly becoming the standard.
    I'm not sure where the discussion goes. I just talked about vkb over older method pkb and preference in between, then someone came up with jet vs bicycle (another truck vs ferrari again), then the other one came up with digital vs analog music gear. I don't know if that even relevant, it's just text input method I was arguing, why do we need to use heavy production tech (music) or even automobile analogy to justify this?
    Last edited by chain13; 05-25-19 at 09:23 AM.
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-25-19 08:46 AM
    I'm not sure where the discussion goes. I just talked about vkb over older method pkb amd preference in between, then someone came up with jet vs bicycle (another truck vs ferrari again), then the other one came up with digital vs analog music gear. I don't know if that even relevant, it's just text input method I was arguing, why do we need to use heavy production tech (music) or even automobile analogy to justify this?
    Generally because there is no good argument so the topic must change to something else.
    PKB vs. VKB is a matter of choice. Nothing more, nothing less.
    05-25-19 09:19 AM
    Some choices reflect need. Other choices "can't be refused...". Lol.

We are one handset series away from paraphrasing Henry Ford... "Any slab we want, so long as it is a slab.". ... Lol.

Best strategy for an individual's use case is simply the best strategy for that individual's use case. No matter how old or new the strategy is. Or who else agrees.

Implying an individual has some sort of "personal problem" for failing to optimally fit "majority" strategy into a minority use case seems a go-to response for some around here. Might intolerance of minority use cases seem misplaced on a forum dedicated to a Niche Brand...??
    Last edited by idssteve; 05-25-19 at 05:39 PM.
    05-25-19 04:19 PM
    Since I switched to iPhone, I no longer get notifications about incoming emails.

One of the several advantages of Blackberry is its real-time notification feature. Also you can set up a separate email box for each email address, so that you'll know in which email account, you get new emails when you see the red * notification on that box.

I also find Blackberry user interface intuitive.
    05-25-19 10:43 PM
    Since I switched to iPhone, I no longer get notifications about incoming emails.

One of the several advantages of Blackberry is its real-time notification feature. Also you can set up a separate email box for each email address, so that you'll know in which email account, you get new emails when you see the red * notification on that box.

About notificatios on the iPhone, something must not be set right. "Real-time" notifications are actually standard on pretty much any device now, and hasn't been a BlackBerry advantage in years.

My wife gets them instantly on her iPhone as I do on my S9. Also on my Kindle Fire tablet, and my Z10 (which I keep active with my home outlook.com email address).
    05-26-19 12:10 AM

Yeah, I dont know how iphone handle its background service. That buttery smooth and fluid ios experience might cost something in return (limited background service maybe)
    05-26-19 05:04 AM
    Yeah, I dont know how iphone handle its background service. That buttery smooth and fluid ios experience might cost something in return (limited background service maybe)
    I get instant email and slack and WhatsApp and many other notifications on my iPhone. So does everyone else. Modern processors have no trouble keeping up with these things.

Apple maintains an continuous connection for notifications. Apps can push notifications through that channel which can then wake up your app to retrieve new content (that new content can be through your own new connection or you can choose to put some of it in the original notification. Your choice. ) Those notifications can be visible or invisible to the user, depending on the preferences of the app and the user. The background notification service has existed since the first iPhone and 3rd party access to it has evolved over time in the 12 years since.
    TgeekB and Tsepz_GP like this.
    05-26-19 06:02 PM
    I get instant email and slack and WhatsApp and many other notifications on my iPhone. So does everyone else. Modern processors have no trouble keeping up with these things.

Apple maintains an continuous connection for notifications. Apps can push notifications through that channel which can then wake up your app to retrieve new content (that new content can be through your own new connection or you can choose to put some of it in the original notification. Your choice. ) Those notifications can be visible or invisible to the user, depending on the preferences of the app and the user. The background notification service has existed since the first iPhone and 3rd party access to it has evolved over time in the 12 years since.
    I know that ios has its own server for maintaining push notifications, and iPhone connected to that server in real-time, so that the apps don't need to run real-time in the background. The app's services just need to push every notifications through that server, all in one place.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    05-26-19 07:10 PM
    I know that ios has its own server for maintaining push notifications, and iPhone connected to that server in real-time, so that the apps don't need to run real-time in the background. The app's services just need to push every notifications through that server, all in one place.
    Yes, and that notification can be empty, which is how most email and chat services do it so that the content can still be e2e encrypted or whatever else the requirement is. Banking apps work like that also to advise a user of transactions.

Works the same way in Android. And this is how it worked back in the Palm days. And also on WebOS. These are all engineers who understood that phones cannot swap pages to this type of flash and so having 3rd party apps run continuously in the background can’t work after the user has more than a handful of apps. So the notification system is one of the ways that 3rd party apps are woken up to do work.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    05-26-19 07:19 PM

You’ve clearly done something wrong. My iPhone gives Push email notifications, in actual fact, iPhones tend to get notification before other devices. They seem to take priority with some services.

You are able to setup separate email accounts on iPhone to.

Why exactly are you using Mate? An iPhone 1 on iOS1 Beta or something?
    05-26-19 11:04 PM
    Why exactly are you using Mate? An iPhone 1 on iOS1 Beta or something?
    I just got iPhone 8 Plus.
    05-26-19 11:16 PM
    I just got iPhone 8 Plus.
    Are you using it in Low Power Mode then? Which mail app are you using?
    05-26-19 11:32 PM
    Absolutely. It is one of the key advantages of iOS, push notifications are absolutely brilliant on it, it’s the first thing that came evidently clear when I moved full time to iOS last week.

I always noticed that my iPad would get notifications first whereas my Androids (Samsung Galaxy Note8, Huawei Mate 20 Pro and P30 Pro) would get them sometimes a few minutes late or not get a notification at all with some apps until I opened it.

Now on iPhone XS Max, I am loving the notifications, it and my iPad get them at exactly the same time and very quickly, it’s great, especially for client interaction as I want to make sure I respond to some emails immediately.
    chain13 likes this.
    05-27-19 02:33 AM
    Yes, and that notification can be empty, which is how most email and chat services do it so that the content can still be e2e encrypted or whatever else the requirement is. Banking apps work like that also to advise a user of transactions.

Works the same way in Android. And this is how it worked back in the Palm days. And also on WebOS. These are all engineers who understood that phones cannot swap pages to this type of flash and so having 3rd party apps run continuously in the background can’t work after the user has more than a handful of apps. So the notification system is one of the ways that 3rd party apps are woken up to do work.
    Absolutely. It is one of the key advantages of iOS, push notifications are absolutely brilliant on it, it’s the first thing that came evidently clear when I moved full time to iOS last week.

I always noticed that my iPad would get notifications first whereas my Androids (Samsung Galaxy Note8, Huawei Mate 20 Pro and P30 Pro) would get them sometimes a few minutes late or not get a notification at all with some apps until I opened it.

Now on iPhone XS Max, I am loving the notifications, it and my iPad get them at exactly the same time and very quickly, it’s great, especially for client interaction as I want to make sure I respond to some emails immediately.
    Yeah. And just so you know that not all ios app uses that feature.
    05-27-19 04:26 AM
    Are you using it in Low Power Mode then? Which mail app are you using?
    I have to take back what I said. I've been using an iPad mini 2. Although I set up email notification in Settings, the only time when I see/hear notifications are when I press the Home button. In other words, I don't get alerted when there is an incoming email message.

I've not bothered to set up email accounts in iPhone yet, because I assume it's similar to iPad.

When I had to replace my Blackberry Bold with an iPhone, I no longer get notified for emails (with iPad and iPhone).
    05-27-19 06:28 AM
    I have to take back what I said. I've been using an iPad mini 2. Although I set up email notification in Settings, the only time when I see/hear notifications are when I press the Home button. In other words, I don't get alerted when there is an incoming email message.

I've not bothered to set up email accounts in iPhone yet, because I assume it's similar to iPad.

When I had to replace my Blackberry Bold with an iPhone, I no longer get notified for emails (with iPad and iPhone).
    Do yourself the favor and setup on iPhone and maybe have a look at how it’s all setup in your iPad, because I have an iPad Air 2 and even on that the notifications come in fast and always notify me.
    05-27-19 06:47 AM
    It is one of the key advantages of iOS, push notifications are absolutely brilliant on it
    You mean aside from the fact that you can't choose whatever notification sound you want ?
    And no notification LED?
    Or no AOD to replace it?

Lol sorry my "iOS bash mode" has activated itself.
    05-27-19 08:11 AM
    not much point. gone off this phone since they messed the hub sms up!
    05-27-19 08:14 AM
    You mean aside from the fact that you can't choose whatever notification sound you want ?
    And no notification LED?
    Or no AOD to replace it?

Lol sorry my "iOS bash mode" has activated itself.
    You can choose Notification sounds in each app.

No LED and no AOD for me is covered as I use a Huawei Band 2 Pro smart Watch, so I know what has come in even before looking at my phone, may get a Apple Watch later this year if I decided to stick with iOS.

You are able to set the rear LED to flash and have your phone face down e.g. for when in a meeting, but that’s not for me.
    05-27-19 08:18 AM
    I don't know if it's just me, but I can't get any notification other than alarms to bypass do-not-disturb on my Key2, even though there are specific settings to allow for this in many apps, including Hub+ Inbox. Why do those settings (ie. Override DND, and various options how to do this) even exist if they do nothing?

Some have suggested using silent mode, but that doesn't achieve the same function. For example, I have been trying to find a way to flash LED while in Android Auto, which puts your phone in DND mode, or trying to have LED flash still come through when the phone is in DND mode at night - but so far, no dice.
    05-27-19 08:28 AM
    Yeah. And just so you know that not all ios app uses that feature.
    You might send the developers of that app some feedback.

The only app I’ve ever used that clearly didn’t understand how this is supposed to work on iOS was the first version of BBM for iPhone. I sent them feedback on that and I hope others did also. I stopped using it because it was so bad but I hope they have figured out how notifications work by now.
    05-27-19 09:29 AM
    The only app I’ve ever used that clearly didn’t understand how this is supposed to work on iOS was the first version of BBM for iPhone. I sent them feedback on that and I hope others did also. I stopped using it because it was so bad but I hope they have figured out how notifications work by now.
    I don't think they figured this out on Android either, when I last used BBM there was a setting to show a persistent notification which I assume allowed the app to always run in the background and not miss notifications.
    05-27-19 10:04 AM
    You might send the developers of that app some feedback.

I know some apps, microsoft outlook, still using the old way or maybe they have their own pushmail server but not as real-time as what Apple has. Also whatsapp uses push notifications only for its message, whatsapp calling still uses old way. If you ever put your phone on battery safe mode, you'll find some whatsapp calls missing sometime.

I don't know why there are still app developers haven't used Apple's push server. They might have their own consideration. But just so you know, Apple's push server is limited, I mean it can only contains text, sound (small data). It can't push a video or short video on the PN.
    05-27-19 10:07 AM
357 ... 1011121314 ...