back to the initial question: I'd say mostly nastalgia + keyboard is nice to have but not critical..slab is fine..combination thereof would be ideal...still waiting for priv2
    08-07-19 04:07 AM
    back to the initial question: I'd say mostly nastalgia + keyboard is nice to have but not critical..slab is fine..combination thereof would be ideal...still waiting for priv2
    08-07-19 04:12 AM
    For me, I don't need the PKB for typing, but I definitely need it for the hardware shortcuts, because Android's navigation is slow and cumbersome on its own.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    anon(10599419) likes this.
    08-07-19 07:45 AM
    Not really. The market for pkb is itself very small. The market for secure phones is much smaller still.
    I’d say the market for secure phones is actually quite big, if you want secure, get an iPhone, they are all about it now and they sell in big numbers, not just iPhone but iPad and Apple Watch as well.

Regularly updated, data sits in the device and is encrypted hence even US gov had to find other ways to crack a terrorist iPhone as Apple themselves could not open it as they do not have a way to decrypt the phones and lastly they are kept up to date for about 5-6 years.

Nothing comes close to this right now.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-07-19 08:21 AM
    I’d say the market for secure phones is actually quite big, if you want secure, get an iPhone, they are all about it now and they sell in big numbers, not just iPhone but iPad and Apple Watch as well.

Regularly updated, data sits in the device and is encrypted hence even US gov had to find other ways to crack a terrorist iPhone as Apple themselves could not open it as they do not have a way to decrypt the phones and lastly they are kept up to date for about 5-6 years.

Nothing comes close to this right now.
    Security, in-and-of-itself, as a premium cost feature to consumers, I don't think it's a very big market.
    Tsepz_GP and app_Developer like this.
    08-07-19 08:34 AM
    Security, in-and-of-itself, as a premium cost feature to consumers, I don't think it's a very big market.
    Ahhh, yes, I get you.
    Absolutely agree on that one.
    08-07-19 08:39 AM
    Ahhh, yes, I get you.
    Absolutely agree on that one.
    Which is (partially) why the Motion failed
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    08-07-19 08:48 AM
    Which is (partially) why the Motion failed
    Agreed. The reason the Aurora, Motion, and Evolve couldn't really get off the ground - just too expensive relative to comparable (without the premium security features) products.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    08-07-19 08:53 AM
    Agreed. The reason the Aurora, Motion, and Evolve couldn't really get off the ground - just too expensive relative to comparable (without the premium security features) products.
    Yeah saying something is premium, doesn't make it premium in everyone's eyes.

Too be honest I never understood what Merah Putih and Optiemus were thinking. Yes they have enterprise customers that might want a secure phone. Yes at one time (BBOS day) BlackBerry was huge in those markets. What numbers did the run?

Alex Thurber was a very good salesman...
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    08-07-19 09:26 AM
    Yeah saying something is premium, doesn't make it premium in everyone's eyes.

Too be honest I never understood what Merah Putih and Optiemus were thinking. Yes they have enterprise customers that might want a secure phone. Yes at one time (BBOS day) BlackBerry was huge in those markets. What numbers did the run?

Alex Thurber was a very good salesman...
    You had smaller hardware players trying to grow market share who decided that having a partner who could manage the core OS and offer Enterprise-grade security with global brand recognition (even if its reputation was impaired) gave them a chance to compete.
    08-09-19 05:22 PM
    I've been waiting for the Key3, but that seems hopeless. I always seem to wait and wait. So here I am, I can't believe it, but I've moved on to Apple. so I guess I won't need to wait on Blackberry any more.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    08-13-19 09:27 PM
    I've been waiting for the Key3, but that seems hopeless. I always seem to wait and wait. So here I am, I can't believe it, but I've moved on to Apple.
    A KEYone/2/LE would have gotten you closer to what the KEY3 would be than an iPhone...

I just don't get this logic
    ppeters914 likes this.
    08-13-19 10:07 PM
    A KEYone/2/LE would have gotten you closer to what the KEY3 would be than an iPhone...

I just don't get this logic
    You aren't wrong, but there's almost no North American stock to be had. Plus it's a year-old phone that may not even get its one major upgrade. Not hard to understand his choice.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and Tsepz_GP like this.
    08-14-19 08:26 AM
    AT&T still has the KEYone available on their website...

Just sayin'...

08-14-19 09:48 AM
    You aren't wrong, but there's almost no North American stock to be had. Plus it's a year-old phone that may not even get its one major upgrade. Not hard to understand his choice.
    Still, he was looking forward to a KEY3 most likely because a KEY3 will have a KEYboard, something which the iPhone obviously doesn't have.
    Not only that, but a KEY3 would be running Android Pie, so it would have made a bit more sense to jump to an Android slab running Pie than an iPhone.

He went from wanting a PKB with Android Pie to buying a VKB device that runs iOS. Hence my confusion.
    08-14-19 10:23 AM
    Given that the chances of a Key3 ever existing are fading by the day, and because he needed a phone now and not "maybe in 5 or 6 months", he understandably didn't consider the K3 an option anymore. And the K2 family is sold out, so it was a 2-year-old K1 that is already out of updates, or a non-PKB, non-BB phone. His ultimate choice shouldn't be a surprise.
    08-14-19 02:53 PM
    The keyboard experience overall is my reason for buying and using a Blackberry today.
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    08-14-19 03:36 PM
    Given that the chances of a Key3 ever existing are fading by the day, and because he needed a phone now and not "maybe in 5 or 6 months", he understandably didn't consider the K3 an option anymore. And the K2 family is sold out, so it was a 2-year-old K1 that is already out of updates, or a non-PKB, non-BB phone. His ultimate choice shouldn't be a surprise.
    For now, at least, the AT&T has a July patch.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    08-14-19 05:44 PM
    What's the point of having an Hauwei now
    What's the point of having an Nokia now
    What's the point of having an Samsung now
    What's the point of having an iphone now
    You don't need any special reason. And shopping is emotional. How many people still carrying a symbian phone (like me, the nokia 808 for wonderful pics and just because I like it)
    Or a windows phone, or BB Bold...

Now a Classic since 2016, with 3 LCD's replaced by myself with youtube help
    Oh and I'm very rich by the way. I could have any phone I want ))

Posted via Classic Immortal edition
    Here's one point:

https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_adds_...news-38681.php

Not bad for a cheap android device......
    John Albert and elfabio80 like this.
    08-14-19 08:00 PM
    The PKB with it's shortcuts is the decision-maker. The Hub, Longer battery life and having a different phone in second place and nostalgia for the brand also plays a part in this case.interestingly, the security part plays no part in my decision!

I also have the Motion, and this was fuelled by consumer greed and the Blackberry name. It looks and feels different to other slabs, but it'll only appeal to Blackberry fans, and I can't see that being a viable reason to launch another one in the future.
    08-15-19 04:50 AM
    KEY2's and LE's can still be found brand new or slightly used from resellers or private parties. And no I'm not talking about international or Indian models.

And they'll still most likely be cheaper than any new iPhone.

So... I still can't comprehend.
    08-15-19 08:02 AM
    KEY2's and LE's can still be found brand new or slightly used from resellers or private parties. And no I'm not talking about international or Indian models.

And they'll still most likely be cheaper than any new iPhone.

So... I still can't comprehend.
    Ahh, but most people understandably don't want to buy from a tiny reseller or used, especially if they won't be able to get a replacement should theirs have a problem. In fact, that's a massive point in Apple's favor: customer service.

The thing is, even most hardcore PKB fans just aren't willing to give up so much to get one. They're not willing to pay scalper's fees from a third-party reseller on an already expensive-for-what-you-get phone, and have limited carrier support, and have limited after-sales support, and probably not get their one software upgrade, and very possibly have the companies involved exiting the smartphone business entirely.

This is why enterprise largely hasn't touched a BB since 2013 (they're risk-averse), and the few who did got burned and replaced their devices under public shame (much like buyers of WinPhone devices), and why sales keep going down, with support going down, etc. It's called a death spiral, and short of coming up with something new and amazing that everyone MUST have... death is the only eventuality. Whether or not we see a K3 (and I doubt it at this point), we're quite close to that point now. TCL claims to be losing money on every phone sold, much as BB did before they exited the business themselves. If you can't sell in volume, there's just no way to recover development, production, marketing, distribution, and support costs.
    08-15-19 09:23 AM
    Ahh, but most people understandably don't want to buy from a tiny reseller or used, especially if they won't be able to get a replacement should theirs have a problem. In fact, that's a massive point in Apple's favor: customer service.

The thing is, even most hardcore PKB fans just aren't willing to give up so much to get one. They're not willing to pay scalper's fees from a third-party reseller on an already expensive-for-what-you-get phone, and have limited carrier support, and have limited after-sales support, and probably not get their one software upgrade, and very possibly have the companies involved exiting the smartphone business entirely.

This is why enterprise largely hasn't touched a BB since 2013 (they're risk-averse), and the few who did got burned and replaced their devices under public shame (much like buyers of WinPhone devices), and why sales keep going down, with support going down, etc. It's called a death spiral, and short of coming up with something new and amazing that everyone MUST have... death is the only eventuality. Whether or not we see a K3 (and I doubt it at this point), we're quite close to that point now. TCL claims to be losing money on every phone sold, much as BB did before they exited the business themselves. If you can't sell in volume, there's just no way to recover development, production, marketing, distribution, and support costs.
    Agree with your points but we went from discussing one person's purchase decision to BBMo's fate lol
    08-15-19 09:39 AM
    Yes, but that speaks directly to the issue at hand: why ED1993le chose an iPhone instead of either waiting for a phone that isn't likely to ever show up (K3) or buy a phone from a third party with limited inventory and no guarantee that any warranty might be honored. If K2s were available today from authorized sellers and were likely to receive full support, I'm sure he'd have bought one, but that's just not where we are today.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    08-15-19 09:09 PM
    AT&T still has the KEYone available on their website...

Just sayin'...

Why would anyone buy that old thing now? Is it even getting Android Q?
    08-17-19 05:58 AM
357 ... 12131415