You sure about that comparison to DTEK? Yeah?
    Android Q is implementing DTEK (app) like functionality into the OS.

https://forums.crackberry.com/news-r...ivacy-1162409/
    chain13 likes this.
    05-09-19 05:19 PM

Sounds great. But I remain skeptical that Google really wants me to lock down my data as much as I do. I'll be curious to see what they leave out of the monitoring system.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    05-09-19 05:36 PM
    Sounds great. But I remain skeptical that Google really wants me to lock down my data as much as I do. I'll be curious to see what they leave out of the monitoring system.

Agreed, Google still has a long way to go in this regard.
    05-09-19 07:10 PM

Yes, the key word here is "like" . It will not be the same.
    anon(10218918) likes this.
    05-09-19 07:31 PM
    The keyboard is by far the main draw for me.

That said, the other aspects of the phone are more than adequate for my needs, so I don't feel I'm compromising in the least.
    Maybe you have explained this before, but I'm curious what the draw has been for you. When I had my Priv, I barely used the keyboard because I didn't think it was that great. I thought my Curve was better, actually.

Now, I've been rocking a DTEK50 which has been great and underrated in my opinion. However, I'm feeling the urge to revisit the PKB.
    05-09-19 09:47 PM
    Maybe you have explained this before, but I'm curious what the draw has been for you. When I had my Priv, I barely used the keyboard because I didn't think it was that great. I thought my Curve was better, actually.

Now, I've been rocking a DTEK50 which has been great and underrated in my opinion. However, I'm feeling the urge to revisit the PKB.
    I had a Priv too and rarely used the keyboard. I just found that form factor not conducive to typing when you have to constantly slide the keyboard out.

One the other hand, the KEYx form factor has the keyboard front and centre at all times, and makes typing and shortcuts immediately accessible.

I also owned both DTEKs and thought I'd never come back to a physical keyboard. It took a few days to get used to it again, but I haven't looked back since.
    Avenzuno and Hazo like this.
    05-09-19 09:53 PM
    Good to know. I don't spend a lot for my phones because they are typically only supported for a couple years so for me, it doesn't make sense to spend big money on them. I'm thinking of scoring a Keyone BE since they are on Oreo and are cheap and easy to find.

I'm sure it would be a big upgrade from my DTEK50 running 6.0. Although, I have zero complaints with my DTEK50.
    05-09-19 10:08 PM
    If it's even remotely similar then it becomes one less unique selling point for BB Android. I'm sure many users here are using DTEK to monitor permissions and not more advanced features like BID, Android Q seems to do the former just fine.

Not that anyone has really promoted either feature since the Priv IMO.
    05-09-19 10:57 PM
    If it's even remotely similar then it becomes one less unique selling point for BB Android. I'm sure many users here are using DTEK to monitor permissions and not more advanced features like BID, Android Q seems to do the former just fine.

Not that anyone has really promoted either feature since the Priv IMO.
    The problem here is that Google will most likely never give you full control of those settings like BB does, because they will never stop mining your data wherever they can.
    This is one reason I will stay on a BB as long as I possibly can.
    05-09-19 11:59 PM
    The keyboard is by far the main draw for me.

That said, the other aspects of the phone are more than adequate for my needs, so I don't feel I'm compromising in the least.
    Same here, I've got the regular/silver keyone and I don't have complaints of it speed or power. The pkb is good and the phone in general suits my needs
    05-10-19 02:12 AM
    The problem here is that Google will most likely never give you full control of those settings like BB does, because they will never stop mining your data wherever they can.
    It's possible Google might prevent their apps from being viewed by Q's permission monitor but DTEK doesn't track Google apps either.
    05-10-19 10:18 AM
    Since newer android has paid more attention into privacy and security at the same level of dtek, there is no point except you’re a diehard fan.
    Hmmm. Who seriously trusts privacy 'made by Google' ?
    05-10-19 11:12 AM
    As someone who has used BlackBerry PKB phones since 2004 but who has used a BlackBerry VKB slab for the past six years, this is what I'd say.

For text entry, I am faster on glass, primarily thanks to the BlackBerry VKB text prediction feature.

For text editing, PKBs are superior due to more precise text selection and cursor control and shortcuts.

As someone responsible for producing and editing high volumes of error-free copy, I don't have a clear preference between the BlackBerry VKB and PKB, but I prefer them both over generic keyboards made more for short messages and emoji.

On my KEYone, I often enter text on the VKB and edit it with the PKB!

Because I choose to use a Blackberry....
    05-11-19 04:06 AM
    Me. My crew. My company. Most of my competitors.
    Thanks fyi
    05-11-19 11:26 AM
    As many stated before : pkb

As Mr. Mobile pointed out in one of his vids - I might not write faster than on a glass slab, but it's so much more satisfying.

Use a lot of short cuts, big plus for me.

Last: looks! Yeah yeah I should not care, but I love how sexy and special that silver Key2 looks.
    RK_BB and the_boon like this.
    05-11-19 11:44 AM
    It's not only the PKB, I hope BB will do the best for privacy and security. Focusing on privacy could open a big and growing market.
    (Hey don't cry immediatly: "people don't want it. It's not good for the business of the shareholders..." )
    05-11-19 11:49 AM
    It's not only the PKB, I hope BB will do the best for privacy and security. Focusing on privacy could open a big and growing market.
    (Hey don't cry immediatly: "people don't want it. It's not good for the business of the shareholders..." )
    They've been doing that for 10+ years and consumers aren't interested with security as the selling feature. It's been ignored with BB10 and even BBAndroid recently. Consumers purchase more PKB from BBMo than VKB from BBMo since the more secure VKB device isn't what the consumer wants. They want price and if cheaper less secure PKB came along, people would probably switch.
    05-11-19 12:03 PM
    The times are changing. Privacy and individual security IS a growing market. Maybe US-Americans don't see it or see it very late. The present way in mobile phones business is collapsing because people wake up and do not trust the old way. They don't want spyware anymore. But some shareholders haven't understand it yet.
    chain13, elfabio80 and RCJ28 like this.
    05-11-19 12:10 PM
    The times are changing. Privacy and individual security IS a growing market. Maybe US-Americans don't see it or see it very late. The present way in mobile phones business is collapsing because people wake up and do not trust the old way. They don't want spyware anymore. But some shareholders haven't understand it yet.
    I agree with this, but mainstream Android has too many conflicts of interest to ever deliver genuine privacy, no matter the flavor.

It's going to take a company making the equivalent of the Tor browser for mobile. Several years ago, only a tiny number of people used a VPN and Tor for everyday browsing, and while it's still a small minority, the number is rising steadily.

My current favorite project is the Librem phone. I have no idea if it will succeed, but it looks promising and is being made by a company with a history of bringing high quality privacy-oriented hardware to market.

elfabio80, ppeters914 and RCJ28 like this.
    05-11-19 12:23 PM
    My answer is pretty simple. I love the design. I love how the keys make me more productive. It has a camera I can capture photos that make me happy. That's why I own a BlackBerry in 2019.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    05-11-19 12:31 PM
    I agree with this, but mainstream Android has too many conflicts of interest to ever deliver genuine privacy, no matter the flavor.

It's going to take a company making the equivalent of the Tor browser for mobile. Several years ago, only a tiny number of people used a VPN and Tor for everyday browsing, and while it's still a small minority, the number is rising steadily.

My current favorite project is the Librem phone. I have no idea if it will succeed, but it looks promising and is being made by a company with a history of bringing high quality privacy-oriented hardware to market.

I have similar thougts. I have a look on the new sailfish version. But I don't stop fighting for BlackBerry security yet.
    I have some hope that we can stop the short sighted shark-capitalistic shareholders. There are also others.
    05-11-19 12:32 PM
    Anyway, it's clear that any writer that does a lot of work on the go and doesn't like lugging around a laptop would show interest in a KEY device.

Who wants to type up lengthy articles on glass?
    That’s where the problem lies. That writers you mentioned are just a small number of people of 1% of the market share. And to provide the tool for them, a company is dying right now.

You might be struggling differentiate between security and privacy. Stock android is actually built with packs of security features (verified boot, SEL, FSE, sandbox, etc etc), blackberry also do the same instead they use some fancy name on it. All of that make your phone secure as a “standalone device”.

Privacy on the other hand is about what apps/services you’re using with your already secured phone. You browse some music on spotify, or some stuff on amazon. Next time you log in, it’ll provide you with ads that based on what you’ve searched (data mining yeah). And that happen on whatever phone you’re using even if it’s a blackberry (the arguably most secure phone on earth). It’s not google’s fault, that’s business model that corrupted.

Google is also doing the same for optimizing their services yet they still put a checkable button to not send your data to them. You have an option to disable data mining (YES YOU CAN) on their services that not all third parties make it available on theirs. Since google make the android, they also put some features that could manage permission so that those third party services could not simply access your phone’s local apps and sensors (GPS/location, calendar, contact, etc) in order to keep your privacy. That feature lies deep down under the setting since android M (and yes you have a full control of it), until blackberry make an app out of it, polished some UI, and put a DTEK name on it. Pie and Q are simply make those setting more visible and intuitive to access.

What I want to say is actually security and privacy really depend on how you use your phone. I’ve used variety of androids even chinese models fulled with bloatwares and stuffs, and guess how many time I got my accounts hacked or my nude pictures leaked? NEVER.. That’s because I secure myself on anything I’m doing with my phone, not because I simply buy a phone with secure label ads on it.

Hmmm. Who seriously trusts privacy 'made by Google' ?
    No one in crackberry
    Last edited by chain13; 05-11-19 at 10:24 PM.
    05-11-19 12:37 PM
    The Active isn't one of my favorites..
    I'm afraid my Motion will be my last BB . I don't want a keyboard phone, so looks like I have no choice.
    I recently bought a used Samsung S7 Active from Amazon, to see if I liked it. I'm trying, but can't seem to turn it into my primary phone. I keep going back to the Motion.
    One benefit to the S7 is, once I get used to it, it has trade in value towards an S10.

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60>Motion>S7
    05-11-19 12:46 PM
    The Active isn't one of my favorites..
    I got it because of the battery, and it was cheap refurbished on Amazon. Figured it would be an easy way to get to know Samsung.
    My wish list :
    Good battery.
    All touch.
    Decent camera.
    Screen I can see in the sunlight.
    SD card!!
    Come on BBMobile

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60>Motion
    hoytbowhunter likes this.
    05-11-19 01:08 PM
    The only thing I don't like about it is that the buttons are backwards to me.
    I got it because of the battery, and it was cheap refurbished on Amazon. Figured it would be an easy way to get to know Samsung.
    My wish list :
    Good battery.
    All touch.
    Decent camera.
    Screen I can see in the sunlight.
    SD card!!
    Come on BBMobile

BB9000>Q10>Z10>Z30>Classic>Dtek50>Dtek60>Motion
    05-11-19 01:30 PM
357 12345 ...