Anybody feel the same way? I think it's a great improvement over the previous version, but what's the point if none of my friends have it? I really don't feel like walking 100 friends thru the process of upgrading their OS and downloading the newest BBM. Started to yesterday, and a friends Curve deleted his BBM app, which turned into a bigger pain for me since I had to walk him thru how to get it back.

But seriously, the coolest features aren't compatible with older versions, so my initial excitement has subdued. How does RIM even get everyone to download the newest version? I know a lot of friends that have had Curves, 8830s, and Pearls for 2 years and haven't once upgraded their OS, no way they care, or know how to update BBM.

Which means BBM won't be with the masses for at least a year, after it comes standard on new BlackBerrys and friends start replacing their old ones.

I would estimate most of my friends won't have access to BBM 5.0 until next summer or fall.
    Last edited by darko m; 07-20-09 at 12:39 PM.
    07-20-09 12:32 PM
    at least you have it!!! Just like when you have the latest OS!
    07-20-09 12:34 PM
    Thank goodness for CrackBerry.

Tell your friends and their friends too.

Research in Motion is reporting nearly 30 million subscribers in their last report. Of those, over a million have found their way here.

That's about 3%, and only a tiny percentage of them are active and participating members.

Most users ever online was 15,020, Today at 02:30 PM EDT.

07-20-09 02:03 PM
    How does RIM even get everyone to download the newest version? I know a lot of friends that have had Curves, 8830s, and Pearls for 2 years and haven't once upgraded their OS, no way they care, or know how to update BBM.

With Carriers now able to do OTA updates I expect that when 5.0 rolls out they will "Encourage" everyone to update to the new OS, which will include the new BBM.
    07-21-09 09:57 AM
    1 year...u will see it in sometime.
    07-21-09 09:58 AM
    Anybody feel the same way? I think it's a great improvement over the previous version, but what's the point if none of my friends have it? I really don't feel like walking 100 friends thru the process of upgrading their OS and downloading the newest BBM. Started to yesterday, and a friends Curve deleted his BBM app, which turned into a bigger pain for me since I had to walk him thru how to get it back.

But seriously, the coolest features aren't compatible with older versions, so my initial excitement has subdued. How does RIM even get everyone to download the newest version? I know a lot of friends that have had Curves, 8830s, and Pearls for 2 years and haven't once upgraded their OS, no way they care, or know how to update BBM.

Which means BBM won't be with the masses for at least a year, after it comes standard on new BlackBerrys and friends start replacing their old ones.

I would estimate most of my friends won't have access to BBM 5.0 until next summer or fall.
    That's when you get newer, cooler friends that DO have 5.0 like the folks around CB...
    07-21-09 10:00 AM
    I expect it might be pushed from my carrier at some point.
    Until it is though, I'm happy to use the "old" version.

Seems like there are always a number of early adopters who have problems, while I'm content just to have a working device.
    07-21-09 10:27 AM
    Cmon starting a thread just because you don't see the need to update an app is pointless.
    07-21-09 10:32 AM
    I have updated...but I have to assume at least 95% of my bb friends won't have bbm 5.0 unless I walk them thru it...which is far too time consuming for me...and I'm not going to be liable for lost data.

Most of my friends have the same os their phone came with, don't know how to update their os, and don't really care to learn how. The only way most of them get bbm 5.0 is if their next new blackberry comes with it standard. The conversion will probably take at least a year as friends with Curves get tired of their phone and upgrade.
    07-21-09 10:52 AM
    OP: I am totally with you, all of my friends have never updated their OS never mind have any idea OS 5.0 is coming out. I have not updated to BBM 5.0 and don't see any reason to because I will literally be the only person who has it in my social circle. I will just wait until the full OS comes out.

And to whoever said this is a pointless post, I fail to see your reasoning as this is a GENERAL Blackberry discussion forum and the OP was wondering if anyone else was in the same situation. Just because you deem this thread to be trivial does not mean it is for everyone on CB.
    07-21-09 12:25 PM
    I think I missed something along the way to my upgrade. Are you saying that my BBM 5.0 won't work with other users who have a prior version?

Seems to be working fine on my end.
    07-21-09 12:43 PM
    I think I missed something along the way to my upgrade. Are you saying that my BBM 5.0 won't work with other users who have a prior version?

Seems to be working fine on my end.
    Is this in fact the case? I've contacted only one of my contacts and got a reply. The other one that I sent a test message to hasn't replied yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-09 02:22 PM
    I've been talking to my friends with the old BBM with no problem.
    07-21-09 02:25 PM
    That's when you get newer, cooler friends that DO have 5.0 like the folks around CB...
    exactly!!!!
    07-21-09 02:36 PM
    I have a 8330 from Sprint. I uploaded BBM 5.0 from an OTA link on another thread and had no problems. I have BBM'd others that havent upgraded without a problem. They just dont have the same smilies and screen we do. I believe they are able to upload BBM 5.0 and use it, they just want to take the time to do it or learn how. I dont understand why you would not want the latest version just because your friends dont. Illogical to me.
    07-21-09 02:58 PM
    I dont understand why you would not want the latest version just because your friends dont. Illogical to me.
    Would be logical if it didn't work with older versions but now that several have replied it does, you're right. I don't mean any disrespect to the OP but the thread is sort of a mute point now.
    07-21-09 03:52 PM
    I think that right now, it is just the fact that we get to play with BBM 5,0, It's not an official release, so there really isn't any reason to stress over a pre-release beta.

Now, when 5.0 starts coming out (which should be before the end of the year), you'll start seeing more and more people using BBM 5.0. Once OS 5.0 is available from the carriers, your friends can either update the OS themselves, or take it to their carrier and have them do it.

Why get upset about something that isn't even officailly released yet?
    07-21-09 05:09 PM
    Thank goodness for CrackBerry.

Tell your friends and their friends too.

Research in Motion is reporting nearly 30 million subscribers in their last report. Of those, over a million have found their way here.

That's about 3%, and only a tiny percentage of them are active and participating members.

Most users ever online was 15,020, Today at 02:30 PM EDT.

Nice stats! One of them has got to be my buddy with his new Tour
    07-21-09 05:12 PM
    After reading all the posts on various forums and trying to install the files with error messages, I gave up

I'm still wondering if this was an actual leak OR if this was a "leak". If this were an actual leak, I'm surprised that there hasn't been news of RIM trying to block further downloads. Plus, any employee that would do this would deserve a Darwin Award for possibly being open to losing his/her job. If this were a "leak", RIM just got free test results (i.e. not having to pay testers) to see what would happen if 5.0 got out and random folks were to try and install it.

Aside from the conspiracy theories, I'll wait it out.
    07-21-09 07:17 PM
    i am using a curve 8330 with verizon as my carrier. the OS is 4.5.0.77. what is the problem with BBM 5.0 and what is the easiest way to upgrade without problems. all i have been seeing is people who have lost data and had problems.
    07-21-09 07:24 PM
    Jesus, some people on this forum are extraordinarily thick. The OP's point was not that BBM 5.0 will not work with people running 4.6 or whatever the previous version was but that, what is the point of having BBM 5.0 if he cannot utilize many of the new features. e.g. the avatars, the barcode scanner, some of the smilies... Notice he said "many of the coolest features are not even compatible with the older version". So in essence what is the point creating a potential hassle when he would still be unable to use many of the new features, especially on a leak which may contain bugs and what not... I fail to see how so many people missed this point, c'mon. Unlike most people on this forum some don't jump at every possible leak.

And GapBoy... I would have to say almost all of RIM's "leaks" are on purpose, they basically get thousands of beta testers without having any real responsibility of an "official" release. If RIM really had this many real leaks they are one of the most unsecure companies of all time, which we all know is not true.
    07-21-09 08:18 PM
    Just to add that I've had contact with people on the "old" BBM, no problems.

They just "see" things a little differently than I do on my BB, is all.
    07-21-09 10:53 PM
    Cool. Can't wait ro use it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 12:52 AM
    I've had 2/3 good experiences.

First try: My unlocked Storm on AT&T, OTA link worked like a charm

Second shot: The Bold we use as an AT&T demo line at my store, again, worked OTA with no problems

Third try: my friend's Verizon Curve, OTA link showed no BBM icon on the home screen, so I had to delete it and reinstall the old version through DM... kind of a hassle.

Sounds like it works better on the newer OSs, not so good on the older.
    07-22-09 01:09 AM
    It doesn't really matter for me, as long as I can chat with them
    07-22-09 01:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD