My wife and I are going to be in Europe for a couple of weeks this summer, and I'm trying to figure out the least expensive way to make calls on my BB while we're in Europe.

AT&T has an international data package that gives me 20MB of data for $25. Although I'd be limited, that would be sufficient for receiving e-mail and some limited internet use.

However, the best deal they have for calls is a plan that costs $5.99/month, plus 99 cents per minute.

My BB is unlocked, so theoretically I could purchase an international SIM, but the international SIM will cost about $60 by itself, which would amount to 60 minutes of calls on the AT&T plan before I start saving any money. Plus, with an international SIM, I wouldn't receive my e-mail unless I kept swapping the SIMs back and forth.

Does anybody know of any alternatives to what I described above?

Ideally, I'd like a solution that enabled me to make calls while in Europe to other locations in Europe, and also back home to the US.

Thanks in advance.
    02-22-08 10:48 PM
    A friend of mine when over seas and got a prepaid sim card and was fine the whole time he was there. I would check into the carriers over there and see what they offer in that manner.
    02-22-08 11:04 PM
    You'll just have to see if there are any cheaper pre-paid sims.
    02-23-08 01:53 AM
    99c?

That's only slightly more than what we pay on most of our plans when making calls here in Australia (ie. Locally, BEFORE we start roaming)!

Any cheaper than that and you're laughing!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-08 02:33 AM
    99c?

That's only slightly more than what we pay on most of our plans when making calls here in Australia (ie. Locally, BEFORE we start roaming)!

Any cheaper than that and you're laughing!

02-23-08 02:34 AM
    If you don't mind having several phonenumbers while travelling through Europe I would strongly suggest you buy a pre-paid SIM in each country. Yes it's a hassle but it's absolutely the cheapest solution.
    02-23-08 04:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD