This is regarding the upcoming Bold 9900/9930 - I searched 'what's the difference' and here it is-

"BlackBerry 9900 is a GSM phone which comes with a quad-band GSM and tri-band HSPA+ support where as BlackBerry 9930 is a dual-band CDMA phone supporting quad-band GSM and dual-band HSPA+ global roaming."

One problem, I have no idea what any of this means. What are they, and which is best for what?

Thanks
    06-24-11 05:00 AM
    Been thinking same for ages! Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-11 05:04 AM
    All I know is a GSM phone will not work on a CDMA network but there are some CDMA phones that can work on GSM networks called world phones. Depending on the carriers band their network runs in the CDMA phone running on a GSM may or may not work at 3g or 4g speeds but be limited to edge or what have you.

I'm not sure how it would work with HSPA.
    06-24-11 05:11 AM
    The difference doesn't really matter unless you plan to use the phone globally, all you need to know is that the both 99xx phones are able to get 3G GSM but the 9900 is a bit faster if it is on GSM.

The 9930 however uses CDMA so it can be used on carriers like Sprint and Verizon Wireless.

The best bet is to use the phone that is made for your specific carrier. This will eliminate the need for you to install the service books and whatnot.

As a side note, GSM (T-Mobile and AT&T) in ideal locations are faster than CDMA.

Wikipedia has more info~

06-24-11 05:13 AM
    The difference doesn't really matter unless you plan to use the phone globally, all you need to know is that the both 99xx phones are able to get 3G GSM but the 9900 is a bit faster if it is on GSM.

The 9930 however uses CDMA so it can be used on carriers like Sprint and Verizon Wireless.

The best bet is to use the phone that is made for your specific carrier. This will eliminate the need for you to install the service books and whatnot.

As a side note, GSM (T-Mobile and AT&T) in ideal locations are faster than CDMA.

Wikipedia has more info~

Hey I do actually plan to use the phone globally - in light of this which would be better?
    Thanks
    06-24-11 05:17 AM
    GSM is the most used globally and if your carrier is GSM then that's the way to go.
    06-24-11 05:19 AM
    This is regarding the upcoming Bold 9900/9930 - I searched 'what's the difference' and here it is-

"BlackBerry 9900 is a GSM phone which comes with a quad-band GSM and tri-band HSPA+ support where as BlackBerry 9930 is a dual-band CDMA phone supporting quad-band GSM and dual-band HSPA+ global roaming."

One problem, I have no idea what any of this means. What are they, and which is best for what?

Thanks
    Quad band GSM is your basic EDGE service. 850 & 1900MHz are basically North America. 900 & 1900 MHz is Europe and others. As for tri band HSPA, that's 850 & 1900MHZ 3G along with the 2100MHz used overseas.

So basically on the 9930, you can use it on your local(NA carrier) while still getting EDGE service abroad and 3G service abroad as well making it a "Global Phone". However in the states, you won't be able to receive GSM 3G as no carriers utilize said UMTS bands. Hope this helps a bit. It's early. )
    06-24-11 05:21 AM
    Um so I guess 9930 for global?
    06-24-11 07:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD