I'm just wondering,,, it seems almost unnecessary to have so many different versions and OS's.
    Other than the Storm, what is the big difference b/w say a curve and a bold? Is it just data speed, edge vs 3g?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-10 07:42 PM
    There are 5 basic models:

Pearl, Curve, Bold, Tour and Storm. Within the basic model, there are versions custom built to the specification of the carrier that will sell and support them.

Screen resolution and keyboard layout/Touch screen are the most visuable differences. Internally there will be support for CDMA, EDGE, Wifi or 3G.
    04-08-10 07:50 PM
    Go to blackberry.com. Nice compare feature there.

04-08-10 08:26 PM
    As Kevin said on the last podcast, you have to understand RIM's strategy for all these versions to kinda make sense (I still think they have too many similar phones). What I think will happen is that RIM will be mostly known as the "starter" smartphone and will excel with business users and in developing markets around the world. I believe they will start to lose share among existing smartphone users as most people will demand more when they move to their next smartphone and will most likely move to apple, android or windows.

Of course this is just my opinion as I am using myself as an example. The curve 8330 was my first phone and then I moved to the tour. RIM does not move fast enough in the "cool" factor so I will be switching to the EVO when that comes out
    04-08-10 08:38 PM
    Not necessarily, original. People who start with BlackBerrys may grow too accustomed to them to consider changing. Not saying no one will switch, but there will be a bit of a deterrance. it's quite clever, especially with things like BBM that really hook in new users.

Last edited by Masahiro; 04-08-10 at 09:10 PM.
    04-08-10 09:07 PM
    I just don't really understand the need for so many models...curve, bold and tour all seem all the same to me and slightly redundant. Maybe I'll watch that podcast to get a better sense. Not to knock BBs or anything cause I'm using a bold9700 and loving it.

04-08-10 10:34 PM
    For the same reason there are so many Fords and Chevys...many different people with many different preferences. Nobody wants to only be able to buy a Ford Tarus and nobody wants to be able to only buy a Curve. We have different size hands, length of fingers, sizes of pockets/purses/briefcases. It's all about choices...why would you want fewer?
    04-08-10 10:52 PM
    Some of it stems from RIM trying to please/accommodate several different carriers. They have to throw bones to each one of them-eg Sprint has their BBs, AT&T has its BBs, TMO has theirs, VZW has theirs. Where as at the moment, all Apple has to do is deal with AT&T until VZW comes onboard.
    04-08-10 10:53 PM
    Variety is the spice of life. many models pleases many people. You don't see car manufacturers making only one model do you?
    04-08-10 11:01 PM
    Ford Model-T's a different story

04-08-10 11:07 PM
    There's the entry-level BBs (Curve 85xx.) Then there's the high-end BBs (9650, Bold 9700.) The Storm also exists if you're into touchscreens and are desperate to have the BlackBerry messaging capabilities without a keyboard.

A few obsolete stragglers exist (Curve 83xx, Pearl 81xx) but they're slowing being EoLed. The advertising push is on the 85xx, Bold line (is the 9650 confirmed to be a Bold?) and the Storm BOGOs.
    04-08-10 11:10 PM
    Ford Model-T's a different story…

The way some car company's are right now maybe using Henry's business model would help them... "You can have any color you want, as long as it's black"
    04-08-10 11:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD