So, here's the case:

All of my sister's friends, who happens to be quite outgoing people, the typical guys and girls you see shopping for fun and go to coffee shop and karaoke together, now refuse to use Y!M on their BlackBerry

Ever since they got their hands on BlackBerry, they refuse to use Yahoo! Messenger any longer, despite the glaring fact that RIM's Yahoo! Messenger client does everything a BlackBerry Messenger can do. Except maybe showing what you're listening to, but how important is it?

They completely forgot about the "Messenger" part of "BlackBerry Messenger" and "Yahoo! Messenger", focusing instead on the "BlackBerry" part. They refuse to be contacted via anything but phone call, SMS, and BBM, despite the fact that any other messenger would require the same dataplan

One day, my sister didn't get a campus announcement that supposedly had spread all over the group. When she asked why didn't they tell her, their response was "It's your fault for not using a BlackBerry! We can't BBM you!"

Now the virus has spread to my sister as well. My other sister got an iPhone, which basically lacks BlackBerry Messenger. When my BB sister wanted to contact my iPhone sister, she contacted me instead, asking me to lend my BlackBerry to my iPhone sister, so that she can BBM her, despite the fact that both of them are online in Yahoo! Messenger

So, it got me wondering. What's the deal with BBM? it doesn't have a desktop client, it runs only on BlackBerry devices, it requires hard-to-remember PIN codes, and it does not make your messaging activity any more different

In fact, I'm alright if I don't use BlackBerry Messenger at all. Sure, you can say it's "more reliable" and all that, but it's not THAT unique is what I'm saying. Messaging with a BBM is not any different than messaging with Y!M or Windows Live Messenger. After all, it's still just a Messenger at its core
    03-31-11 06:29 PM
    Lol, idk what it is that makes BBM so addictive... But I don't use any other IM client anymore...and if you think PINs are too hard to remember just type "mypin" as one word the press space bar to display pin...u don't have to worry about remembering...and if its that big of a deal you could always use the BBM barcode.
    Last edited by Propa; 03-31-11 at 11:33 PM.
    03-31-11 11:31 PM
    I just like the setup for BBM groups with lists and shared calendars. Besides that don't know why else I would use it. Maybe the delivered and read status for the message, since most of the other cross-platform IM is very inconsistent right now, but LifeProfile seems promising
    03-31-11 11:33 PM
    I have yet to use BBM because BBM only allows me to communicate with other people who have BB's and most don't have one.
    04-01-11 12:10 AM
    LOL!!! Not sure what to tell you - it just feels more homey, like you're closer to the person. Maybe because I only give my PIN to a very select group of people. Most of my family have BBerries.
    If I get on the other messengers I have way too many contacts who may interrupt what I'm doing. My days are very, very busy and I have very little "down" time.
    And I just like it better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    csz#WN likes this.
    04-01-11 03:41 AM
    that makes absolutely no sense..... T_T
    obviously not everyone has a blackberry, and not everyone has a smartphone, therefore im using more messengers

IM+ for skype, msn, icq, fb, twitter, myspace
    BBM obviously for pple with bb's
    soon LiveProfile for pple with bb's, androids and iphones

thats it for im's, then im using fb twitter etc ofc
    that way u'll definitely manage to stay in contact with everyone

i mean why would i use only 1 messenger and not be able to chat with the majority of my friends?
    04-01-11 04:26 AM
    Why does everybody think you have to use BBM to stay in touch with everyone? Frankly it would be annoying as you can't turn it off.
    Think of BBM as an exclusive club, for family and close friends

04-01-11 04:58 AM
    That's how I use it. For everything else there's emaill. Or -Heaven forbid - an actuall call!!!

04-01-11 05:28 AM
    Personally I refuse to use anything but Google talk. And I was that was for a long time. They record everything sent and received. Helps to keep my name clean.

[sent via Cyanogen powered Android]
    04-01-11 05:58 AM
    Personally I refuse to use anything but Google talk. And I was that was for a long time. They record everything sent and received. Helps to keep my name clean.

That's a double edged sword.

04-01-11 06:20 AM
    Since I've gotten myself a BlackBerry, I might as well make full use of it -- and that means using BBM. To me, YM, ICQ, etc. are rather computer-ish. But when I use BBM, it's just like texting -- only better. Sorry. Don't really know how to explain it.
    04-01-11 07:23 AM

I don't understand you. Do you mean you only use google talk because they do record everything or you quit using it because they record everything?

I don't want someone recording all of my conversations.
    04-01-11 07:41 AM
    I don't understand the people who have every messenger possible on their phone. I have a friend who went from using nothing but bbm and sms (like me) to getting an Android and then he started using YIM, Gtalk, Kik, liveprofile and whatsapp. He says well not all of my friends will use the same app. Some use kik others use YIM and so on.

I agree SMS sucks. I hate SMS, but if you don't have bbm I'm gonna SMS you. I'm not willing to download an app just to talk to one or two contacts and then download another one to cover a couple more of my friends. That is exactly what a lot of people do when they leave bbm.

That's what is so screwed up with the bbm cloning industry. To many choices makes it to where not enough of your friends are using the same app.

04-01-11 08:34 AM
    BBM is on whenever the device is on, so it saves the time of having to login every time you want to talk to somebody. But even with that being said, it doesn't really justify the situation you're in.
    04-01-11 08:43 AM
    I am going to stick with BBM and SMS because I don't want tpo have too many apps on my 9700 phone. More apps I put on, less memory will be left for the OS to run. All my friends wants me to download liveprofile, but i don't want that taking up space on my phone.

04-01-11 09:35 AM
    For me a big reason I use BBM over others is due to chat groups. I am in 6 and use them everyday. I actually use that more so than my contacts, granted most contacts are in each group.

Yahoo don't have that and just seems so 70ish compared to a more modern feel. IMO anyway...

Also Yahoo M constantly logs me off, which drives me insane...

04-01-11 11:54 AM
    To me it seems like the main reason for using these messengers is to avoid paying for text messaging plans. Is that correct?
    04-01-11 12:10 PM
    BBM's experience is just unrivaled at the moment and although many could argue that other clients do just the same, they do not.

For instance, my gf was in London for work and we started using whatsapp because i had an iphone. I got her message 4 hours after she sent it. I switched back to the berry and it was just perfect, fluid and no delay.

There's no doubt that RIM's dedicated servers are meant for the task and until somethings else rivals them, BBM will still be ahead of the competition.
    04-01-11 12:14 PM
    I don't understand you. Do you mean you only use google talk because they do record everything or you quit using it because they record everything?

I don't want someone recording all of my conversations.

I will only use them. For me its a secuirty blanket. If any questions what I said I can bring it up.

04-01-11 12:14 PM
    That's a double edged sword.

How is it doubled edged

04-01-11 12:15 PM
    How is it doubled edged

It's not all about what you say, it's what others can say to you.
    Examples, a friend will play a joke on you, "syborg, are you making any bombs soon for binladen?" Now google has your name and bomb and binladen recorded
    You lose somebody's number/email and as a friend to pass them to you via gtalk, now google has your friend's name and phone number/email address.
    Google records everything you send and receive.

04-01-11 12:28 PM
    Examples, a friend will play a joke on you, "syborg, are you making any bombs soon for binladen?" Now google has your name and bomb and binladen recorded
    You lose somebody's number/email and as a friend to pass them to you via gtalk, now google has your friend's name and phone number/email address.

I am aware of this. And treat it as such.

04-01-11 01:04 PM
    I am aware of this. And treat it as such.

How exactly, you don't have control over it.

04-01-11 01:13 PM
    I have only one work associate who would use BBM and even they didn't use it regularly. I had my pin posted in my profile and would get people requesting that I add them and when I did I never heard from them. Today I deleted BBM from my 9700. I use Live Messenger for work, my wife & I use SMS for quick messages throughout the day.

If you look above I stole the "Pin the tail on the donkey" from Bren S.
    04-01-11 01:26 PM

I don't know how long they keep it, but rim records bbm conversations. A few wall street traders have been charged using bbm records. Just saying.

04-01-11 01:39 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD