What do you guys truly use it for? The only times I use it, is to reference how many blocks the next street over is (when in NYC, only time I use it), if I need to get some where and not sure which train to take I'll look at the suggested trains it gives me. But really I just use it to make sure I'm going in the right direction. I also have the VZ navigator, but I prefer Google Maps.

So my question is, I guess I don't understand the complaint of it not using true GPS and that it just triangulates your location, but why is this a problem?
    01-22-09 04:03 PM
    because for those of us who don't have vznav it would be nice to be able to use just google maps to get directions. for me it's off by about 1/4-1/2 mile so it's useless to me. i have to use bbmaps.
    01-22-09 04:13 PM
    It uses cell towers instead od gps making it highly inaccurate in terms of my current location

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 04:31 PM
    1. If it gave me true GPS, it would be great to search for a POI and instantly get exact directions from exactly where I am at the moment.

2. Once I get directions, it would be nice to track my progress so I know exactly where I am and when my turn is coming up. For those that live in metro areas and drive in unfamiliar areas it is really helpful. I don't like showing up to client meetings because I took the wrong exit.

3. If there was a big blue blinking dot that said exactly where we are at that exact moment, it would be easier for my GF to tell me where the h3ll to turn.
    01-23-09 12:58 AM
    I can't believe this is a serious question. Why WOULDN'T you want an accurate location on the map?
    01-23-09 05:19 PM
    i am happy that it does atleast have the tower location systme because i use google maps as a replacement for Microsoft Live Search to find local businesses. and Google maps works real well doing that as is.

like if i want to find a starbucks near my current location or a grocery store or a restaurant, etc. or get the number of the local home depot to check hours, etc, etc.

windows live search worked great for that but it doesnt work at all on the storm yet.

does anyone else know of any programs to do those kind of things? sometimes i would like to put in the name of the city i will be in, rather than where i am right now.
    01-23-09 05:26 PM
    Mine gives me accurate GPS location precisely. I have been in a home and launched the app and it gives me the address of the house I am in. I think it is very helpful.
    01-23-09 05:51 PM
    Mine gives me accurate GPS location precisely. I have been in a home and launched the app and it gives me the address of the house I am in. I think it is very helpful.
    You're using a Bold on AT&T. This is a Storm/Verizon issue.
    01-23-09 06:08 PM
    Welcome to the Storm Forum... ;-)
    01-23-09 06:30 PM
    I can't believe this is a serious question. Why WOULDN'T you want an accurate location on the map?
    ditto. has me confused as well
    01-23-09 06:38 PM
    I think it's a matter of what you are using the app for. It would certainly be better to have an exact location over an estimate, but for me it's not really necessary. I don't use it for navigation while driving (have an in-dash GPS), and the cell-tower triangulation gets me close enough to find what I need to.

If you're using it for directions, then I would agree that GPS location is a must-have.
    01-23-09 09:44 PM
    According to some in the GPS section of this forum, if you load the telenav demo, it unlocks GPS on the device, not sure if this helps with gmaps, but it helps with other apps apparently.

Can't find the thread off hand that mentions it, I'll keep digging.
    01-23-09 09:52 PM
    I like the interface of Google maps much better than BB Maps, but it has my location across the street in another development. Wouldn't mind living there, but I don't.

I keep it loaded in the hope Google will work out the GPS issues with Verizon someday.
    01-24-09 07:11 AM
    I want to use it with the satellite imagery for hunting purposes. I have many GPS devices, but would like to see the google maps images of my hunting property on my storm.
    01-24-09 07:56 AM
    I want to use it with the satellite imagery for hunting purposes. I have many GPS devices, but would like to see the google maps images of my hunting property on my storm.
    Ummm...you don't need the GPS to work in order to do that. Also, you do know that the satellite images are a old images, don't you?
    01-24-09 08:00 AM
    One of the most intriguing perks about these new touch smart phones is that they are multi-purpose. For the amount of money people really buy these phones because they can talk, surf the web, view pictures, movies, etc...

One of the most wanted functions for these phones is the FREE navigation. This is where the iPhone's Google maps wins. It should be the same for the Storm. Other than the VZW gps instead of aGPS it would work great. The interface is awsome and very fast but until either VZW goes to aGPS or Google updates their google maps version we're stuck on relying on towers or the very slow and crappy Blackberry Maps.

If you wanted just a phone go get a LG flip phone :-)
    01-25-09 09:51 PM
    Although it would be great if GPS did work with GMaps, there is one advantage to its triangulation feature. It works indoors. So even though its not exact, it does do one thing GPS cannot do.
    Still would be great to have GPS work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-09 10:43 PM
    because for those of us who don't have vznav it would be nice to be able to use just google maps to get directions. for me it's off by about 1/4-1/2 mile so it's useless to me. i have to use bbmaps.
    wow, yours is as close as 1/2 mile??
    Both mine and a coworkers (the only 2 Storms we have tried it on) are off by over 10 miles! We both work at NAS Lemoore, and it shows us both north of Avenal, CA on I-5!
    I deleted it off mine, wasnt worth wasting memory on until they get it closer out here.
    01-25-09 10:53 PM
    Please. The triangulation GPS on Google Maps is relative to the area you're in being saturated with cell towers. Mine tells me I'm within 3700 meters of where it shows on the map.....3700 METERS. That's roughly about 2 miles. I can GUESS my location within that. Truly sad it doesn't work on Verizon.

I'm still wanting Trapster and Nav4All to join forces.
    01-25-09 10:57 PM
    I'm still wanting Trapster and Nav4All to join forces.
    trapster doesnt work on mine on VZ either... just keeps saying its looking for my location...
    01-25-09 11:03 PM
    No mine works, but the Trapster interface and Nav4All's turn-by-turn would be SWEET! Be sure to enable GPS for Location On and obviously enable it and be in a visible area of the satellites. I'm on a BES and they are very restricve, so I can't imagine an IT policy being a problem.
    01-25-09 11:07 PM
    trapster doesnt work on mine on VZ either... just keeps saying its looking for my location...
    Scratch what I said about Trapster... I dled the newest version and now it finds my house.... even shows a trap near me, which I know is actually there.. see the motorcop there all the time...
    01-26-09 12:24 AM
    Just installed Google Maps Version 2.3.2 (#2377) on my Storm (9500_v4_7_0_87) and Google Maps just talks fine to the GPS receiver. I get my location within 6m.

What else could I want?
    01-27-09 06:55 PM
    Just installed Google Maps Version 2.3.2 (#2377) on my Storm (9500_v4_7_0_87) and Google Maps just talks fine to the GPS receiver. I get my location within 6m.

What else could I want?
    That's because you're on Vodafone. This is a Verizon issue.
    01-27-09 07:00 PM
    Oops wrong threat...apologies
    01-27-09 07:00 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD