I know it's faster and all that. But why is it all of the sudden in present times becoming such a deal breaker for people if it's not present on a device?

If anything when things go LTE I bet wifi won't really mean anything anymore.
    06-17-09 11:04 PM
    People simply like to whine. Wi-Fi is a nice feature certainly but it shouldn't be a deal breaker unless you travel a lot in dead zones.
    Last edited by Kaiserjagen; 06-17-09 at 11:09 PM.
    06-17-09 11:06 PM
    People simply like to whine.
    So, since I have endless dead spots in my area, does that make me a whiner? Higher speeds within the current cellular network are years away (especially in my area). Your comment shows a remarkable lack of understanding of others needs. I hope you don't work in the product development field.

Wi-Fi is needed by many for various reasons. The topic has been beat to death endlessly already.

The bottom line is that it is do-able, people can utilize it, and people want it.
    06-17-09 11:51 PM
    So, since I have endless dead spots in my area, does that make me a whiner? Higher speeds within the current cellular network are years away (especially in my area). Your comment shows a remarkable lack of understanding of others needs. I hope you don't work in the product development field.

Wi-Fi is needed by many for various reasons. The topic has been beat to death endlessly already.

The bottom line is that it is do-able, people can utilize it, and people want it.
    I dont think that he was referring to people like you. I think that he was referring to people who have good coverage yet they still whine about not having wifi. See you actually have a NEED for it, others just want it. There is a big difference, and since you actually need it (and you are one of the few who actually NEEDS it) you are not whining.
    06-17-09 11:59 PM
    For me, the only place i regularly have WiFi access to is in my home. And, I have great coverage where I live. I have Zero use for WiFi at the current time.
    I depend on my network, and I've not yet to be let down.
    06-18-09 12:02 AM
    because its a useful feature to have?? just my .02
    06-18-09 12:06 AM
    Really though really?
    Not this again...Mr. Marco I suggests you do a search on this because there is plenty about this topic.
    06-18-09 12:13 AM
    Everyone at some point wants the status of perfection ..
    Question is does I phone have the Wifi problem ?
    06-18-09 12:15 AM
    Wifi is a great feature to have. Not a dealbreaker imho. Everyone's needs are different though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-09 12:38 AM
    I love this question..

LTE or whatever wi-fi is still important..

1. Planes
    2. Travel
    3. Applications that require wi-fi
    3. In my basement
    4. In buildings with extremely thick walls that people work in.

finally I will say I DO NOT USE GPS there for I DONT think its useful for you so I am going to now start telling everyone that GPS is useless and I hope the carriers quit putting it in phones

point is some people have it for there needs no need to argue against it. They want it you don't why limit the choices
    06-18-09 01:07 AM
    for me, i wished the Tour, or any VZW BB, would have wi-fi. At my university, there is wi-fi all over the place, and there are some areas (like the student underground) where there is absolutely no service with all phone carriers. So in situations like that, wi-fi would be a nice addition to have. I guess it just pisses me off that the Curve 8900 and Bold have wi-fi, but VZW BB's are just always a little behind. -_-
    06-18-09 01:10 AM
    might help to put it on a wish list
    06-18-09 01:26 AM

Read and quote my full post before making such a comment. My second sentence was added in quickly after writing my initial reply. Unless you started working on your reply right before I added this sentence (and it then took you 40 minutes to write it) I don't see how you could have missed it.
    Last edited by Kaiserjagen; 06-18-09 at 02:16 AM.
    06-18-09 02:13 AM
    for me, i wished the Tour, or any VZW BB, would have wi-fi. At my university, there is wi-fi all over the place, and there are some areas (like the student underground) where there is absolutely no service with all phone carriers. So in situations like that, wi-fi would be a nice addition to have. I guess it just pisses me off that the Curve 8900 and Bold have wi-fi, but VZW BB's are just always a little behind. -_-
    I am currently a Bold owner and I use Wi-Fi about 90% of the time that I'm on my phone because it's readily available for me... at home, at work, and in a lot of shops, cafes, and restaurants. The only time I'm using 3G for data is when I'm in the car on my commute. 3G coverage is pretty extensive in my neck of the woods, so I rarely see the word "EDGE" in the upper right corner of my phone... even on my 1 hour commute.

Aside from email, there are several applications that I use which take advantage of Wi-Fi (significantly better performance over 3G):

1) Internet Radio (i.e. Slacker, Pandora)
    2) Streaming Video (i.e. YouTube)
    3) Instant Messaging (i.e. Gtalk, Yahoo!)
    4) Uploading media (i.e. pictures, video, Picasa)
    5) General web surfing/browsing

I am pretty sure that VOIP has been blocked, but having WiFi at least allows the possibility of using Skype on your mobile phone.

Sure, there's a trade-off in power consumption, but charging my phone is a cheap price to pay for higher data rates for me. So is Wi-Fi a deal breaker for the successor to my Bold? Yes. I would hope that my next mobile phone will have 802.11 b/g/n capability at the very least.

The reason why I'm even on this thread is because I was really curious as to why the new BB Tour doesn't have Wi-Fi. Being that I work in the mobile/wireless industry, the reason is what I suspected. RIM left it out because the carrier (Verizon) doesn't want it. Here's a good article about the business reason why Verizon is keeping Wi-Fi out of their smartphones:

Verizon's answer to WiFi: MiFi - FierceBroadbandWireless

Essentially, they know and agree that Wi-Fi is becoming a "need to have" feature for mobile handsets. To capitalize on this, they'll essentially force Verizon customers to use EVDO to create a mobile "Wi-Fi" hotspot to connect up other Wi-Fi enabled devices. Generally (IMHO), these kinds of "games" that carriers play only pisses off their customers. Being an AT&T customer, you get front row seats to the AT&T "feature auction" where Blackberry and Apple duke it out for features like "Visual Voicemail" and "Tethering".

Sorry for getting off-track...

Wi-Fi for my mobile phone has become a "must have feature" for me. Hope that my post is useful.

AD
    06-18-09 02:27 AM
    Just because you are ignorant and dont know the reasons why people want wifi doesnt mean there shouldnt be wifi on bb.

Firstly, use the freakin search cause this issue has been discussed plenty of times. There are several reasons to why wifi is useful. But just to repeat my self the the nth time...

1. Many airlines and cruises now have free wifi onboard. Its a great option for business users who need to be connected always.

2. Some people work in buildings with concrete enforced firewalls. These areas do not recieve outside cell service so they depend on a wifi network.

3. There is still a huge portion of the US that are still non EVDO ready.

4. Wifi allows users to recieve data while on a phone call. Without wifi you may miss phonecalls while browsing the web and or you will miss out on important emails if you on a long conference call.

5. Since VZ limits my data consumption to 5gb/month... I can make sure I dont go over the limit by using my own wifi network.

6. Many developers are fabricating applications that are depended on a wifi network. Cell networks are either too slow or to enifiecient for heavy data apps. They are making alot of these apps for the iphone.

7. Cause I freaking want it. I dont need anyone to tell me what I want and what I need. Or why I dont need it...
    06-18-09 02:44 AM
    I am currently a Bold owner and I use Wi-Fi about 90% of the time that I'm on my phone because it's readily available for me... at home, at work, and in a lot of shops, cafes, and restaurants. The only time I'm using 3G for data is when I'm in the car on my commute. 3G coverage is pretty extensive in my neck of the woods, so I rarely see the word "EDGE" in the upper right corner of my phone... even on my 1 hour commute.

Aside from email, there are several applications that I use which take advantage of Wi-Fi (significantly better performance over 3G):

1) Internet Radio (i.e. Slacker, Pandora)
    2) Streaming Video (i.e. YouTube)
    3) Instant Messaging (i.e. Gtalk, Yahoo!)
    4) Uploading media (i.e. pictures, video, Picasa)
    5) General web surfing/browsing

I am pretty sure that VOIP has been blocked, but having WiFi at least allows the possibility of using Skype on your mobile phone.

Sure, there's a trade-off in power consumption, but charging my phone is a cheap price to pay for higher data rates for me. So is Wi-Fi a deal breaker for the successor to my Bold? Yes. I would hope that my next mobile phone will have 802.11 b/g/n capability at the very least.

The reason why I'm even on this thread is because I was really curious as to why the new BB Tour doesn't have Wi-Fi. Being that I work in the mobile/wireless industry, the reason is what I suspected. RIM left it out because the carrier (Verizon) doesn't want it. Here's a good article about the business reason why Verizon is keeping Wi-Fi out of their smartphones:

Essentially, they know and agree that Wi-Fi is becoming a "need to have" feature for mobile handsets. To capitalize on this, they'll essentially force Verizon customers to use EVDO to create a mobile "Wi-Fi" hotspot to connect up other Wi-Fi enabled devices. Generally (IMHO), these kinds of "games" that carriers play only pisses off their customers. Being an AT&T customer, you get front row seats to the AT&T "feature auction" where Blackberry and Apple duke it out for features like "Visual Voicemail" and "Tethering".

Sorry for getting off-track...

Wi-Fi for my mobile phone has become a "must have feature" for me. Hope that my post is useful.

AD
    Just a follow-up to my last post:

Skype Coming to BlackBerry Smartphones in May - About Skype

I'm not sure about Verizon's Data plans, but if Verizon doesn't offer an "unlimited data plan" (ala AT&T), then Wi-Fi is a "need" if you use Skype to make international phone calls around the world.

In my line of work, we have manufacturer's in Asia, so Skype is a "necessity" for our conference calls. Our international long distance bill would be huge without it. Having this capability on our mobile phones will definitely save us a ton of money and give us flexibility as we are generally at home sleeping during Asia's work hours and not in our office's conference rooms...
    06-18-09 02:48 AM
    I swear, the only mindful purpose people have replying to threads sometimes is to pick a fight. Go get a job.

In any event, I personally have only used the WiFi on my Bold a handful of times, I didn't really find it to be quite helpful. Then again, I don't think I have ever been in an out-of-coverage area, either. I can see where it would be mandatory to some users but quite frankly, if you're paying $650 for a device, shouldn't the presence of the WiFi be implied?!

For some, it's like saying you can have a Porsche with a 4 cylinder engine.
    06-18-09 06:06 AM
    ...Here's a good article about the business reason why Verizon is keeping Wi-Fi out of their smartphones:

Essentially, they know and agree that Wi-Fi is becoming a "need to have" feature for mobile handsets. To capitalize on this, they'll essentially force Verizon customers to use EVDO to create a mobile "Wi-Fi" hotspot to connect up other Wi-Fi enabled devices.
    I respectfully disagree.

I have a Mifi. Its great for connecting NON-EVDO/CDMA devices (like my laptop, iPaq, Wii, iPod Touch, etc) to the internet across VZW's EVDO network wherever I am, instead of having to search out a Public/open wifi hotspot. i.e. its a good substitue for an "air card" or "usb modem" to get both PC and non-PC devices on the net while on the go. (UP to 5 devices at a time can connect via WiFi)

Using the MIFI is a way for VERIZON to capitalize and make money from Non-VZW sold Wifi enabled devices that want to get on the internet "on the go."

BB's, Winmobile phones, other cell phones, all have EVDO data abilities right in... so the MIFI isn't needed, even IF the BB, WinMo Phone, etc has wifi.

Having the Mifi doesn't FORCE me to use it. At home, my devices still connect up to my home Wifi router/cable modem just fine.

Thank you for listing the applications that you use across WiFi. That is good info to know, and in all the threads like this, yours is the first post I've seen giving that. Most just say "I need it" and don't fully explain how they use it that makes it needed...

Personally I've only had experience using WiFi on my T-Mobile 8320, 8120 and 8900 to create a UMA connection, giving me ALL features of my BB (voice and data) across WiFi routers. I've never had the oppertunity to separate WIFI data for web, or apps from my BB's functions. Until your list, I've always assumed only Web browsing when no coverage from your wireless provider was present, which doesn't sound like a BIG enough benifit, where as I could always see WIFI's usefulness if the carrier supports UMA like T-Mobile does.

I don't know the REAL reson why CDMA blackberries don't have WIFI (this includes devices from Sprint, Alltel, Telus, Bell, US Cellular, etc, NOT JUST VERIZON). But you do mention a "there's a trade-off in power consumption"... which MIGHT be a big factor. Remembering CDMA does use more power than GSM, and the CDMA devices often use the same batteries as the GSM devices (8900 and 9530 and 9630 use the same, 8700 and 8703 the same, 8800/8820 and 8830 the same, 8100/8110/8120 and 8130 the same, 8300/8320 and 8330 the same, etc...) and those same batteries are drained faster in CDMA devices (provide less talk/standby times), could that power drain be the main reason for lack of wifi? If they add WiFi, how much less would one get out of them? Would consumers really find the "Cost" of Wifi a "benifit" if their device can't make it through the day on a charge?

For YOUR needs the trade off in battery life is acceptable. For others, that lower battery life might not be. If most users turn wifi off so they are not draining their battery enough in order to prevent their having to charge the phone all the time, why spend the money to include Wifi?

I can appreciate that some users NEED their device to support wifi for data. But I'm one of those that doesn't need it, when I'm not in wireless coverage I don't have access to Wifi hotspots either. I would think its a "nice to have" feature, but wouldn't make much use of it unless the carrier supports UMA so I can call (using my regular wireless phone number), text, pix message, BB messenger, email, web browse, etc...
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 06-18-09 at 06:51 AM.
    06-18-09 06:37 AM
    Seriously we are more than 10 posts in and The Rican Medic hasn't showed up to tell us how awful Verizon is for not having Wifi. People may consider getting their affairs in order, if he doesn't show up to some serious hating it could be a sign of the apocolypse.
    06-18-09 06:45 AM
    Just because you are ignorant and dont know the reasons why people want wifi doesnt mean there shouldnt be wifi on bb.

Firstly, use the freakin search cause this issue has been discussed plenty of times. There are several reasons to why wifi is useful. But just to repeat my self the the nth time...

1. Many airlines and cruises now have free wifi onboard. Its a great option for business users who need to be connected always.

2. Some people work in buildings with concrete enforced firewalls. These areas do not recieve outside cell service so they depend on a wifi network.

3. There is still a huge portion of the US that are still non EVDO ready.

4. Wifi allows users to recieve data while on a phone call. Without wifi you may miss phonecalls while browsing the web and or you will miss out on important emails if you on a long conference call.

5. Since VZ limits my data consumption to 5gb/month... I can make sure I dont go over the limit by using my own wifi network.

6. Many developers are fabricating applications that are depended on a wifi network. Cell networks are either too slow or to enifiecient for heavy data apps. They are making alot of these apps for the iphone.

7. Cause I freaking want it. I dont need anyone to tell me what I want and what I need. Or why I dont need it...
    On #5..... Vzw does NOT limit your data. It is unlimited for the device functions

06-18-09 08:50 AM
    On #5..... Vzw does NOT limit your data. It is unlimited for the device functions

I believe he's correct. The limit is only enforced for tethering (at least with VZW).

http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/faq...e-read-238075/

FAQ #3 and #6
    Last edited by lahnipm; 06-18-09 at 09:23 AM.
    06-18-09 09:20 AM
    I'm glad this is the first thread we have seen on wifi. Should make an interesting read...for the first time.
    06-18-09 09:22 AM
    I swear that when the first CDMA Blackberry is released with Wifi, I am going to start a complaint thread about the fact that it actually has wifi.
    06-18-09 10:36 AM
    It's not about speed... everyone thinks it's about speed.

It's about diverse connectivity capabilites and not being tied down to just carrier network data connectivity. The uses for WIFI on a handset are vast, but IT HAS NEVER REALLY BEEN ABOUT SPEED.... a least not for people that know any better.... well, unless you're with AT&T.
    06-18-09 10:39 AM
    It's not about speed... everyone thinks it's about speed.

It's about diverse connectivity capabilites and not being tied down to just carrier network data connectivity. The uses for WIFI on a handset are vast, but IT HAS NEVER REALLY BEEN ABOUT SPEED.... a least not for people that know any better.... well, unless you're with AT&T.
    But.....but....their ads say they're the fastest 3g network. I saw it on TV and read it on the internet......it must be true!!!!
    06-18-09 10:41 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD