Please first understand I am not technically savvy in any way. But as I scroll through all the forums regardless of make and model, I see people stressing about speed. For example, my speed to load a page takes 3 to 12 seconds longer than my ****. What's the hurry? I have had a 8330 for 11 months and plan to get the Tour tomorrow. The 8330 has served me well. I am not getting it because of the processor, battery life or the speed. I just desire a newer model phone. Can someone shed some life on this speed issue. Where are we going that a few seconds to load a page would really make a difference? Most of the time we spend browsing is idle time anyway. The fact that we sit and browse the latest posts and forums says we are not extremely busy to began with! The new technology seems to make everybody want faster this or better that. When do we as people learn to be appreciative for what we have. We are the reason that RIM continues to push out models so fast that we can't keep up with model numbers. Take time to enjoy current models and maybe RIM can slow down production and concentrate on a model that is stable, built with high quality materials, guarantee less faulty returns and one that will last us for years instead of months. What's up with speed? Are we really in that big of a hurry? Spare me no details. I am really curious?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-09 04:06 PM
    No need to detail it, it really is a matter of preference. I just suggest waiting until you get your Tour to see the difference. It isn't just browser speed. It is also how fast your device does everything. Say you want to browse your pictures, I find it much more convenient to use my 8900 than my old curve to open a picture folder on my media card. Another thing about the faster processor is it's ability to do things. You will find it just works better, in other words, it's more stable. You want to open and play a video or stream music, done. It does almost every task better.
    Come back after you get you new device and tell us what you think.

11-08-09 04:23 PM
    Speed is just an issue in this always caffeinated society nowadays. That's just the
    bottom line. We are obsessed with having things fast.
    11-08-09 04:24 PM
    Just read your post. I laughed when you said: "Most of the time we spend browsing is idle time anyway. The fact that we sit and browse the latest posts and forums says we are not extremely busy to began with!" Sometimes that's true other times it's not; we're seeking or providing advice or researching information.

In any case, yes, we do need to slow down sometimes to "enjoy the roses."
    11-08-09 04:24 PM
    most of the time if im browsing i do want speed, looking up a number or when a movie plays and it lags is very annoying
    11-08-09 05:52 PM
    If anything it seems to me speed would be most important on a mobile device. Whatever you're doing (Maps, browsing, [insert app name here]), you're likely doing it 'on the go'. And relative to the speed we experience on a daily basis (access to communication and information on a normal computer for example, likely faster in every way) it seems mobile computing would obsess far more over it.

On a desktop, they're squeezing out micro seconds from browser loading times, and one could be inclined, when sitting back in a relaxing computer chair, how essential that speed is. On the go however, if I need bus route information, I likely want it right away or I'll miss the bus (or freeze my arse off standing in the middle of the cold waiting for my google maps to load up).
    11-08-09 08:03 PM
    For me its a cumulative issue. a few seconds is ok by itself but they add up. try reverting to Dialup for the pc for a while.

11-09-09 04:43 AM
    For me, 9 out of 10 times I use the BB browser or an app I am looking for a piece of information that I need very quickly (phone number, address, new story, stock quote, etc). It's frustrating to have to wait - we are spoiled these days...
    11-09-09 09:11 AM
    Bullrides last a whole 8 seconds. We're talking about a 7 second difference right? Ten pages you've wasted over a minute. Time is money.

11-09-09 09:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD