Hi! I'm moving to NYC this coming fall from the Philippines.

What do you guys think is the best Blackberry carrier in NYC? I'm thinking of subscribing via Verizon, Sprint or T-mobile. I would be on a tight budget by the way so I guess the billing/rates should also be considered for my choice.

Hope to hear from you guys soon. Cheers!
    Last edited by ninjadoodles; 03-14-10 at 11:44 PM.
    03-14-10 11:41 PM
    Oh boy, is this thread going to start a lot of fights..let me be the first. I guess you would have to define 'best'
    Cheapest? or Most reliable?
    Cheapest - T-Mobile and Sprint
    Most Reliable - Verizon
    I would go with Verizon.
    03-14-10 11:58 PM
    I live in Manhattan and have both the 9550 on verizon and the 9700 with tmobile.

Will you get less dropped calls with verizon over tmobile? Yes.

Is it worth the ALL the extra money a month you'll pay verizon? Not really.

I know one thing I've gotten with verizon more than once but never with tmobile is "all circuits busy" when making a phone call.

I think the 3G from tmobile is faster in nyc simply because its a lot less congested. When I leave nyc the 3G on vzw is fantastic but when I'm home its just "ok"

I typically visit mobile device friendly websites anyway and use apps for everything else so it really doesn't matter IMO unless you are tethering.

If budget is a concern, I say T-Mobile is your best bet plus the 9700 is a great solid device

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-10 12:19 AM
    T-Mobile or Sprint. Coverage shouldn't be an issue in a city the size of NYC.
    03-15-10 05:03 AM
    I see that you have a Tour. If you choose Verizon or Sprint, you need to make sure that they will allow you to use the phone you already have (if you wanted to bring it over to NYC) because CDMA carriers (like they are) usually do not let you use a phone on their service that was not purchased from them. T-Mobile is GSM so the issue should not be there.
    03-15-10 07:13 AM
    Sprint is the best for the money. A comparable plan on Verizon will cost you twice as much. T-Mobile isn't that great on the coverage department. You would have to see for yourself which works better for you, remember that with most carriers you get 30 days to try out their service.

03-15-10 07:19 AM
    Verizon FTW. They've had the best coverage in the tri-state area since we had analog phones.
    03-15-10 08:07 AM
    Big Red followed by Tmobile....
    ATT isn't the best in the city.
    03-15-10 08:22 AM
    Big Red followed by Tmobile....
    ATT isn't the best in the city.
    Oh, Tony - was just in Manhattan this week, down around the financial district for work and staying mid town. You know, I didn't have a problem.
    I paid special attention this time because there's been so much discussion on the forum about AT&T not getting coverage in NYC, but aside from the usual places where I didn't really expect good signal (elevators and basements) I really didn't have any problems.
    Whaddayathink?
    03-15-10 08:54 AM
    From the UK.

I though T-Mobile were OK but I'm now a long-term nurtured fan of O2.

O2 was originally founded by BT and had the bleeding edge technology. The service was not cheap. It was later sold to Telephonica.

Under Telephonica I receive many incentives that result in low charges and my connection has remained excellent for years.

I'm not certain that Telephonica can maintain the high standards for decades to come but I really hope they do.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-15-10 08:55 AM
    I have Verizon and when I went to NY I had GREAT service everywhere.
    03-15-10 08:56 AM
    Side note - if someone could develop an app where yhou can hail a taxi down around the Battery at 5:00 p.m., it'd be a great thing.
    03-15-10 08:56 AM
    Oh, Tony - was just in Manhattan this week, down around the financial district for work and staying mid town. You know, I didn't have a problem.
    I paid special attention this time because there's been so much discussion on the forum about AT&T not getting coverage in NYC, but aside from the usual places where I didn't really expect good signal (elevators and basements) I really didn't have any problems.
    Whaddayathink?
    I stand corrected .

My brother's company (on 3rd) had spotty coverage with ATT and went to verizon.
    Irony is his wife is in publishing and they all went to ATT and the Iphone but she is more midtown....
    I wonder how that marriage will last

But it all depends on user experience.
    03-15-10 08:59 AM
    Others I tried:

T-Mobile: Good delivery
    Vodafone: Excellent customer service
    Three: Unreliable
    ASDA: Confused leadership
    O2: Relaxed customer service
    Orange: They still owe me £100

03-15-10 09:00 AM
    Thank you guys!

My choices are now down between Verizon and Sprint.

Since I'm on a tight budget, do you think Sprint would be a good choice?
    03-15-10 11:35 AM
    When I was in NY, sprint worked great. I would definately try them and see. For the price of their all in one plans... They are worth the look. Have at and t now and it worked fine. There were times when riding the "M" that I lost signal all together. Not sure if that's normal or not, but felt worth mentioning.

03-15-10 11:44 AM
    I stand corrected .

My brother's company (on 3rd) had spotty coverage with ATT and went to verizon.
    Irony is his wife is in publishing and they all went to ATT and the Iphone but she is more midtown....
    I wonder how that marriage will last

But it all depends on user experience.

Yup - I think it's all about hitting the right spot...

Oh, I remember where I was!!!! Around Vacrick ST!!! Near Houston....

Got turned around and ended up right in front of the bulls...
    03-15-10 11:54 AM
    When I was in NY, sprint worked great. I would definately try them and see. For the price of their all in one plans... They are worth the look. Have at and t now and it worked fine. There were times when riding the "M" that I lost signal all together. Not sure if that's normal or not, but felt worth mentioning.

Yes, because the subways are underground (except further in the outer boroughs of Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx) for the most part you will lose service within the train (and this is on almost all carriers from my experience). Sometimes I catch it at a station or just leaving that a lone e-mail/text might sneak through.
    03-15-10 11:56 AM
    Yes, because the subways are underground (except further in the outer boroughs of Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx) for the most part you will lose service within the train (and this is on almost all carriers from my experience). Sometimes I catch it at a station or just leaving that a lone e-mail/text might sneak through.

You know, this was my experience in DC too. But I've started to get coverage around downtown. From Union Station radiating out. Not all stations, just a selected few. Voice is still a problem.
    03-15-10 12:36 PM
    I have been getting some coverage underground but so have others.
    I wonder if repeaters? are being installed?
    03-15-10 12:39 PM
    In DC Verizon had exclusivity. There was a court order and they had to open it up. Perhaps the same thing is happening underground in NYC?
    03-15-10 12:47 PM
    Flop: Thanks for sharing, but the question was, "what is the best service for NEW YORK CITY" not Europe or the rest of the world.

Others I tried:

T-Mobile: Good delivery
    Vodafone: Excellent customer service
    Three: Unreliable
    ASDA: Confused leadership
    O2: Relaxed customer service
    Orange: They still owe me £100

03-15-10 12:51 PM
    Sprint certainly has great pricing. I cannot attest to their service in NYC, but I have a lot of family that lives in the NYC area and they seem pretty equal that "Sprint is not the way to go." I realize that there are certainly those that feel otherwise (if there weren't, Sprint wouldn't even have a business there, obviously). That being said, if you think you're apt to travel much, then I can definitely tell you loads of stories of complaints about Sprint's coverage.
    03-15-10 12:53 PM
    Verizon is the best. Hands down Customer care is the best and the coverage is also the best. You get what you pay for
    03-15-10 12:58 PM
    They all are good and each have there strong and weak points
    03-15-10 03:48 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD