Others I tried:

T-Mobile: Good delivery
    Vodafone: Excellent customer service
    Three: Unreliable
    ASDA: Confused leadership
    O2: Relaxed customer service
    Orange: They still owe me £100
    You do realize that the topic of this thread is service in Manhattan and other than T-Mobile (my favorite) none of the carriers you have mentioned have service in Manhattan?
    03-15-10 08:10 PM
    Verizon has the best service in NY
    03-16-10 09:13 AM
    Verizon is by far the best carrier in the New York area. actually, Verizon is the best carrier in the United States.
    03-16-10 09:19 AM
    You do realize that the topic of this thread is service in Manhattan and other than T-Mobile (my favorite) none of the carriers you have mentioned have service in Manhattan?
    They don't even provide service anywhere in USA - that's a partial list of UK networks. The info is totally pointless and unhelpful in this thread!
    03-16-10 09:43 AM
    You Verizon fanboys don't quit.....

The OP strictly stated that she was on a tight budget not that she wanted to be Wallet RAPED this excludes VERIZON automatically..Verizon while good is also the most expensive and the most nickel and diming of the big four....

T-mobile and Sprint are the way to go if you don't have $$$$$ to be sucked from u like a vacum...Sprint provides the best coverage of the two equal to Verizon in a majority of the country well worth the price saving....

Don't listen to these Verizon fanboys Verizon's not the only company you will get acceptable service, but you will pay the Most with them and you will pay FOR EVERY SINGLE FEATURE.
    03-16-10 07:32 PM
    Us fanboys won't comprimise on coverage. If you have another carrier that works great. Me? Only place big red is bad is in the poconos. I would rather pay more for service I know I will get.
    If 20 a month or 30 a month is going to break someones bank then maybe a data plan shouldn't be in the cards.
    Would I like cheaper service? Yes. Would I want to sacrifice coverage no. Why? Because when or if my wife is in trouble w our kids she will be able to make a call.
    That being said its been a while since I have tried another carrier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-16-10 08:58 PM
    If your on a budget, Sprint and Tmoblie is your best bet
    03-16-10 09:36 PM
    Its already in AppWorld...seriously, search for it!
    Side note - if someone could develop an app where yhou can hail a taxi down around the Battery at 5:00 p.m., it'd be a great thing.
    03-16-10 11:44 PM
    Simply put, the big four have the same coverage in big cities like NYC...just go to their websites and check out the coverage maps.

If you want the best bank for your buck, go to Sprint. $60/month will get tou BIS, unlimited txt and any mobile - any mobile, 450min to landlines, nights/wknds starting @7pm, free gps nav, which you'll need if you're moving to NYC for the first time, and a phone upgrade every year.

I'm running Root Wireless' coverage analytics on my Tour, and as far as I can see, Sprint comes out on top in every major city I've looked at. Just google Root's coverage map. Its user input data from an app that runs in the background. 90% or more of the time, Sprint comes out on top for data speed, and cell reliability...even cell coverage. The data is public, just google for it.

Everyone is going to have their preference, but simply put, its all the same in big cities. Just do your research. Every carrier has its downside. ATT data network may be over-saturated in NYC, but is improving over time. TMobils might not have the largest coverage area, Vzw nickle and dimes for messaging, gps nav, etc...Sprint does not allow PAM on SEP plans. Bottom line is this...Sprint is roaming for free on vzw's alltell contract...so even if you go rural, if vzw has service, your sprint phone will also. I travel throughout upstate ny and nyc all the time...phone is never roaming. Can't remember the last dropped call I've had. Results may vary, but to me...Its a no brainer.

03-17-10 12:01 AM
    People blind ideology that Verizon is the best everywhere, and the only thing that works...Is pretty much why Verizon gets away with what some would call extortion, have fun paying that extra 15$ for BESX on Verizon...

When people wake up and smell the coffee that other carrier work just as well as Verizon in many places that matter...Then Verizon will be forced to get real with Pricing...Until they will suck money where ever possible.

People with Sprint or T-MO are not necessarily people who can't afford Verizon or ATT....They're people with smart since not to throw their hard earned money away on a MARKETING CAMPAIGN...while still getting quality service.
    03-17-10 08:04 AM
    Simply put, the big four have the same coverage in big cities like NYC...just go to their websites and check out the coverage maps.

If you want the best bank for your buck, go to Sprint. $60/month will get tou BIS, unlimited txt and any mobile - any mobile, 450min to landlines, nights/wknds starting @7pm, free gps nav, which you'll need if you're moving to NYC for the first time, and a phone upgrade every year.

I'm running Root Wireless' coverage analytics on my Tour, and as far as I can see, Sprint comes out on top in every major city I've looked at. Just google Root's coverage map. Its user input data from an app that runs in the background. 90% or more of the time, Sprint comes out on top for data speed, and cell reliability...even cell coverage. The data is public, just google for it.

Everyone is going to have their preference, but simply put, its all the same in big cities. Just do your research. Every carrier has its downside. ATT data network may be over-saturated in NYC, but is improving over time. TMobils might not have the largest coverage area, Vzw nickle and dimes for messaging, gps nav, etc...Sprint does not allow PAM on SEP plans. Bottom line is this...Sprint is roaming for free on vzw's alltell contract...so even if you go rural, if vzw has service, your sprint phone will also. I travel throughout upstate ny and nyc all the time...phone is never roaming. Can't remember the last dropped call I've had. Results may vary, but to me...Its a no brainer.

thanks for the info

what are PAM and SEP plans by the way?
    03-17-10 08:30 AM

I think I love you....somebody who goes for facts and runs analytics instead of relying for a map on a computer screen.
    And he knows about the app to hail a taxi in lower Manhattan at 5:00 p.m.

When can I move in?!?!
    03-17-10 09:14 AM
    Us fanboys won't comprimise on coverage. If you have another carrier that works great. Me? Only place big red is bad is in the poconos. I would rather pay more for service I know I will get.
    If 20 a month or 30 a month is going to break someones bank then maybe a data plan shouldn't be in the cards.
    Would I like cheaper service? Yes. Would I want to sacrifice coverage no. Why? Because when or if my wife is in trouble w our kids she will be able to make a call.
    That being said its been a while since I have tried another carrier.

Wow you really did drink the Kool Aid, you do know that Sprint has an agreement w/ Verizon and Sprint can roam on Verizon? So that means for $40 less a month you can have basically the same service. So for your two year agreement you are WASTING $960 and just giving it to Verizon for NOTHING.

I have worked in Manhattan for the last seven years and I have Sprint, the service is superb and pricing is the BEST out of any carrier. So I say Sprint is the BEST cell service in NYC. I also had a work Blackberry on ATT and hated it, 3G was rare and calls always dropped.
    03-17-10 09:45 AM
    Wow - my AT&T phone must have morphed....I had no such troubles.
    03-17-10 11:02 AM
    No problems - PAM is Phone As Modem, and SEP is Simply Everything Plan. Unfortunately, with the latest SEP plans, sprint does not allow PAM at all...period. While you can use Tether(a program which works around this), its illegal, and risky. Back when I hopped onto Sprint, they had an individual $30 BIS BB plan which you could add-on to your plan...with this plan, and some other older plans, you can use Phone As Modem for an extra $15/month, but unfortunately the SEP plans do not allow this. There used to be a backdoor which was pretty much wide open for tethering on Sprint, meaning you could tether on any plan without the $15 add-on...but they're finally closing that back door. Let me know if you have any more questions!

thanks for the info

what are PAM and SEP plans by the way?
    03-18-10 03:10 PM
    Living in NY all my life, I never, ever had a problem with AT&T, with so many iphones and blackberrys in Manhattan alone - the service never drops, interrupts, or fails. I don't get where AT&T is horrible in NYC, it might be where you live but def. not here.

Forget Verizon if you wanna save money all together.

T-Mobile is the cheapest GSM company to go with, they service a sketchy here and there but overall not a bad company. And as for Sprint it is the cheapest like mostly everyone on the thread stated.

The one thing I would be unsure about is the CDMA, I'm not really a fan of it and with all the new phones coming out I would be too tempted. But goodluck on your choice and have fun living in NYC!
    03-18-10 03:35 PM
    The ATT service issues are primarily affecting those with iPhones. There is a report floating around somewhere which links the direct effect of the "always-on data consuming iPhone" with dropped calls, service issues/performance, etc. As more iPhones hop on the network, constantly consuming data and bogging down a network that was not adequately prepared for this kind of strain, it appears to be having a direct ffect on cell reliability. The details I couldn't get in to, but the report is out there. I'll try and dig it up. ATT has done some massive overhauls to their network in NYC as of recent...so its really a non-issue at this point.

Living in NY all my life, I never, ever had a problem with AT&T, with so many iphones and blackberrys in Manhattan alone - the service never drops, interrupts, or fails. I don't get where AT&T is horrible in NYC, it might be where you live but def. not here.

Forget Verizon if you wanna save money all together.

T-Mobile is the cheapest GSM company to go with, they service a sketchy here and there but overall not a bad company. And as for Sprint it is the cheapest like mostly everyone on the thread stated.

The one thing I would be unsure about is the CDMA, I'm not really a fan of it and with all the new phones coming out I would be too tempted. But goodluck on your choice and have fun living in NYC!
    03-18-10 03:48 PM
    The ATT service issues are primarily affecting those with iPhones. There is a report floating around somewhere which links the direct effect of the "always-on data consuming iPhone" with dropped calls, service issues/performance, etc. As more iPhones hop on the network, constantly consuming data and bogging down a network that was not adequately prepared for this kind of strain, it appears to be having a direct ffect on cell reliability. The details I couldn't get in to, but the report is out there. I'll try and dig it up. ATT has done some massive overhauls to their network in NYC as of recent...so its really a non-issue at this point.

My point exactly, I hate to say it, because NYC has such an overhaul of iphones and blackberries - they are going to improve and focus on better service upgrades here which I can clearly see. All my friends (who own an iphone or blackberry) never had a dropped call or service interruption for awhile.
    03-18-10 09:33 PM
    From the UK.

I though T-Mobile were OK but I'm now a long-term nurtured fan of O2.

O2 was originally founded by BT and had the bleeding edge technology. The service was not cheap. It was later sold to Telephonica.

Under Telephonica I receive many incentives that result in low charges and my connection has remained excellent for years.

I'm not certain that Telephonica can maintain the high standards for decades to come but I really hope they do.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    The discussion is about NEW York not York.
    03-18-10 10:44 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD