So, I'm strangely considering picking up a used Bold 9000 AGAIN. I've been using my iPhone 4 and HTC inspire since this spring and I like the devices. Something about the Bold keeps calling me. I know the os is outdated and the phone itself is ancient I find myself thinking about using one again. Am I crazy? Is dumb to downgrade from my iPhone 4 to a relic? Btw I used the Bold 9700, and Torch before I went to my iPhone. Somethin about the bold 9000.......
    JR A likes this.
    12-12-11 11:05 AM
    yeah def something about that 9000 I been considering it too lol.
    12-12-11 11:09 AM
    Why not the 9900? The keyboard is bigger than the 9000's, and it's lighter and skinnier.
    12-12-11 11:10 AM
    Why not the 9900? The keyboard is bigger than the 9000's, and it's lighter and skinnier.
    I thought about the 9900 too. Can't find any used around here yet. I would use my upgrade but I'm waiting.
    12-12-11 11:17 AM
    I left BB for what promised to be the best ever but after a while I just missed my BB and no the other phone was not all that and a bag of chips. It was nice but it just was not a BB.

The Bold 9000 was my first BB and I loved the keyboard and just the feel of it. However, I now have the Bold 9930 and I would suggest you consider the Bold 9900 or the Torch 9910.

I love the Bold. Finally I can say I love my phone. However, the Torch 9810 can do most everything the Bold does (no NFC but with SCM or other apps you really can live without it).

If you do, you should consider getting Vlingo. It is free until Dec 31st. The voice command features are actually kinda cool and I think useful at times. Even though I much rather type a discrete e-mail just push play on my phone, there is a place for voice commands. Vlingo actually delivers and you don't have to upgrade to the 4S to get it.

It may help you to know that BB is giving away 100 bucks in free apps (about half games half get stuff done apps).

I just signed up for the Beta Testing Group and I'm using BB Traffic. BB is actually coming out with their own voice navigation. It works great and like all BB apps it is free! I think it is a great time to try (or come back to) a BB.

The main question though is which phone feels right for you. The price is really secondary. I think the iPhone is a nice device and are the latest android batch of phones but they are still not BB. I guess I just love BB and I keep up with new devices from the competition but I'm feeling like the OS7 devices are the best phone for me right now.

I think BB are phones to help people live better productive lives. If you wan't movies and video games other devices deliver a better experience but to help you get things done BB is still the one IMO.

Good luck.
    12-12-11 11:18 AM
    So, I'm strangely considering picking up a used Bold 9000 AGAIN. I've been using my iPhone 4 and HTC inspire since this spring and I like the devices. Something about the Bold keeps calling me. I know the os is outdated and the phone itself is ancient I find myself thinking about using one again. Am I crazy? Is dumb to downgrade from my iPhone 4 to a relic? Btw I used the Bold 9700, and Torch before I went to my iPhone. Somethin about the bold 9000.......
    NO you are not crazy,

Why do some people who clearly can afford it hold on to their 10 year old car? because it is what works for them, the Bold 9000 was a very comfortable phone to hold, and use, just as the 9900 device is now, but I would say for less than 30 minutes at a time, the 9000 was actually MUCH more comfortable than the 9900 IS.

the beauty of SIM based phones is you can bounce around, use your 9000 for a week, and see what you miss about your other phones, maybe it is worth going back to the 9000, maybe it's worth upgrading to a 9900, maybe you'll miss your iPhone or HTC after being on the 9000 for a week
    12-12-11 11:32 AM
    Most BB users want the feel of the physical keyboard. More than likely that is what you're missing. I like a bigger screen and went with the 9860. I don't mind typing on a touchscreen. At least you have Swype on your Android. I miss that. The 9850/9860 is a great phone for someone who wants more screen size.
    12-12-11 11:34 AM
    We must be on the same wavelength or something.

I have a Bold 9930 and a 9700, yet I would like to use the grand-daddy 9000. I don't know why either

12-12-11 11:36 AM
    Somethings are just unexplainable, For me, the first time I saw a keypad on a phone was insane and I've been hooked ever since. The 9000 just had a certain awww
    12-12-11 11:41 AM
    Yeah. My friends think I'm nuts to want to go backwards technology wise. The Bold 9000 just feels like a "grown up" phone. I'm a teacher and coach. Most of my players have iPhones and androids. They are constantly pulling them out to my dismay. I don't see any berries.
    12-12-11 11:54 AM
    I don't see it as taking a step back or downgrading. If it works for you and its what you like, go for it! I have a Torch 9860 but sometimes I have to fight with my 9yr old son to let me use my (his now) old but trusty Curve 8310. Little beast that phone was! lol
    12-12-11 12:47 PM
    BBM has a really powerful group messaging system which is used all over the world for questionable activities!
    12-12-11 01:06 PM
    I think it's the size factor and the physical keyboard.
    JR A likes this.
    12-12-11 01:10 PM
    I would call it an upgrade. In a similar vein, most people would consider a fountain pen a relic, but mine are elegant writing instruments with gold nibs valued at upwards of $250 each ... pleasureful to write with. I won't even touch a ballpoint pen. I liken your BlackBerry 9000 to a fountain pen, the non-BlackBerry phones you mentioned to $0.10 disposable ballpoints.
    Last edited by T�nis; 12-12-11 at 01:18 PM.
    JR A and _StephenBB81 like this.
    12-12-11 01:15 PM
    For me, part of the attraction lies in the form factor. I love the comfort of the keyboard. It runs circles around the one I used to have on my 8530. The touch screen is also very nice. (I got my first BlackBerry before I heard of BBM, so that wasn't a factor for me at all)

The other part is the fact that it's a BlackBerry.

DISCLAIMER: All opinions that are stated below are that of my own and in no way reflect the CB community as a whole.

To me, owning a BlackBerry is to be part of an exclusive 'club' if you might and I feel privileged to be part of that. Not only has it been the phone of corporate choice for many years but it's also popular (and continues to gain popularity) among certain segments of mainstream consumers as well. I can't wait to see what RIM has in store for the future.

It's just a sexy phone all around and I'm very happy with it for now.
    12-12-11 01:39 PM
    An older phone always has a draw, especially if you had one, and want another one. When I was on AT&T, I was looking for a 9000 for a decent price, but never found one. There was a strange draw to it, even though I had never used one before. The latest isn't always the greatest, and that can be proven by all the people that I still see on the 83xx series Curve. Old, outdated, but a proven work horse.
    12-12-11 02:29 PM
    Hmmmm I have a dilemma. Pick up a used Bold 9000 for $50 or trade my iphone4 (white) and $100 for a new in box Bold 9900. Help!!!!
    12-12-11 02:29 PM
    Yeah. My friends think I'm nuts to want to go backwards technology wise. The Bold 9000 just feels like a "grown up" phone. I'm a teacher and coach. Most of my players have iPhones and androids. They are constantly pulling them out to my dismay. I don't see any berries.
    Your Students and Athletes primary function for their phones are Entertainment

BlackBerry's primary functions have ALWAYS been communication RIM really lacks in the Entertainment front, as a BlackBerry is only as Entertaining as you and your friend circle are, if you can't hold a conversation you'll never enjoy a BlackBerry.

Pick up the device that works for you and enjoy it!
    12-12-11 02:31 PM
    Hmmmm I have a dilemma. Pick up a used Bold 9000 for $50 or trade my iphone4 (white) and $100 for a new in box Bold 9900. Help!!!!
    Buy the 9000 for $50 and use it for 1 week, maybe 2, if you love the form factor, you have the option to resell the 9000 for $50, as it wont depreciate in value in that time, and then you can SELL your iPhone 4 (white) for $500ish and buy a BlackBerry Bold 9900 new in Box,
    12-12-11 02:33 PM
    Since you are used to a positive browsing experience with a phone, I would just say the opposite of deRusett. Go with the 9900 because it gives you the touchscreen and a great browsing experience as well as an outstanding keyboard. You will be disappointed in the 9000 because what it does well, the 9900 can do even better.

Nostalgia for a communication device is based on memory, which at best, is doubtful for accuracy. If you go back to the 9000, you will quickly realize it's shortcomings. You can buy one for $50, but to try to sell one is a hassle...certainly a limited audience. Avoid the hassle and go for the 9900.
    12-12-11 03:14 PM
    as far as web browser I don't think you'll be too happy.
    I would get it for the form factor.
    for $50 bucks might not be worth it to buy one, probably beat up.
    I would pick up a New condition Refurbished one they sell for around $150.
    just a pic to help your decision
    JR A likes this.
    12-12-11 03:43 PM
    What a slick looking phone. But I'd get a non-camera model.
    12-12-11 03:46 PM
    I downgraded from an HTC Thunderbolt to a 9650 and I'm satisfied. Just missed some things about BlackBerry and I didn't need to use the phne brower so much anymore.

I'd say go for it. Wait til the 9900 price drops and the bricking issue is resolved.

I tradd my Bolt for the 9650. So it was like a free phone plus cash! Win win.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 12-12-11 at 03:48 PM.
    12-12-11 03:46 PM
    I downgraded from an HTC Thunderbolt to a 9650 and I'm satisfied. Just missed some things about BlackBerry and I didn't need to use the phne brower so much anymore.

I'd say go for it. Wait til the 9900 price drops and the bricking issue is resolved.

I tradd my Bolt for the 9650. So it was like a free phone plus cash! Win win.
    What brick issues? I read about the overheating issue
    12-12-11 05:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD