I just don't understand, why is catalog for native apps is still very limited and not much different than it was at launch of BlackBerry 10?
    Wasn't there enough time for blackberry to work with developers to make all the popular apps available bb10 style?

I am not bashing blackberry so I really hope people don't start telling me about android ports or android runtime and the whole argument of which apps do you use and how app needs are different from one person to another, because simply, all of that doesn't cut it. We still don't have a native version of most apps in every category.

I want the native experience, flow, hub notifications, the whole bb10 feel. I don't want to use a ported app nor an apk that is not made for blackberry which in most cases never functions a100% as it was intended to.

It has been over 2 years now since bb10 launch, and if I recall correctly, one of the top executive of BlackBerry at the time promised that the app catalog will improve yet all we got is an updated android runtime!

I think for blackberry to be a real competition, and I don't mean take over apple or google, they need to have more mainstream native apps, otherwise, if it's all about android runtime and app ports, then many people will just go for android for the native experience, and I think at this point blackberry should be capitalizing on every opportunity possible.
    01-14-15 09:01 AM
    You stock your app catalog with the developers you have not the developers you want to have.

Bit of a chicken and egg scenario. Put differently, as a developer do you want to try to sell 10 copies of an app for $10 each, or 100 copies for $1?

The apps will come when people do them for fun rather than a living.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 09:06 AM
    As a software developer I can answer that. Developing an app for a system costs money (developing costs, testing, support). And since BB10 phones are under 1% of the smartphone industry, most of them don't bother. Developing for any platform usually costs the same ammount more or less (let's say X dollars). By developing for iOS and Android you cover over 90% of the smartphone market by spending 2X. Why would you spend another X on another 1%. Where I work we make mobile apps and we charge per platform. Most customers only go for Android/iOS, some (very few) go with Windows phone as well, and so far only 1 has requested a BB10 app (and that was a HTML5 app).

Also when do you stop? why would BB be more important than the other under 1% platforms (jola, ubuntu OS, Firefox OS)?
    01-14-15 09:16 AM
    I think this is another farq(frequently asked rhetorical question).
    01-14-15 09:49 AM
    Then why doesn't blackberry pay that cost in an initiative to make bb10 more competitive? Of course I don't mean they should pay for every app out there, but at least the most popular mainstream apps, WTH skype is native on TV sets and yet we still have an android port for it!
    I don't know how feasible this is and I hope I don't sound stupid but I have no idea how the whole development game works, all I want is more native apps and a phone that will continue to be strongly present and competitive.
    01-14-15 09:50 AM
    Then why doesn't blackberry pay that cost in an initiative to make bb10 more competitive? Of course I don't mean they should pay for every app out there, but at least the most popular mainstream apps, WTH skype is native on TV sets and yet we still have an android port for it!
    I don't know how feasible this is and I hope I don't sound stupid but I have no idea how the whole development game works, all I want is more native apps and a phone that will continue to be strongly present and competitive.
    1. about skype not being native, BB knew that was a risk when they introduced the Android runtime in BB10.
    2. About big apps. Building the initial app is only the first step. Constantly updating the app and adding new features won't happen unless BB will keep paying them ebcause they had no interest in BB10 to begin with. Also because behind big apps there are multi-bilion dollar companies, I think you can imagine the ammount of money needed to convince such a company is beyond BB.
    garrett lajoie likes this.
    01-14-15 10:00 AM
    I guess I should give up and just wait for more android runtime updates!!
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-14-15 11:54 AM
    I guess I should give up and just wait for more android runtime updates!!
    Or go with Android completely. Your choice.
    01-14-15 01:22 PM
    How "strong" Blackberrys support for additional native apps is can be read in this thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...kberry-988564/
    01-14-15 01:32 PM
    How is this still a topic? Like really lol....its been covered soooooo many times already. If BB10 isn't selling well at all, and especially not even to the consumer market, what developers really have incentive to bring their apps to the platform? Since we don't have many native options, that should easily give you your answer.

Really, either enjoy what we currently have and adopt android apps to fill the gap, or move to another platform because it's not going to get drastically better any time soon

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Rello; 01-14-15 at 07:06 PM.
    01-14-15 02:32 PM
    How is this still a topic? Like really lol....its been covered soooooo many times already. If BB10 isn't selling well at all, and especially not even to the consumer market, what developers really have incentive to bring their apps to the platform? Since we don't have many native options, that should easily give you your answer.

Really, either enjoy what we currently have and adopt android apps to fill how gap, or move to another platform because it's not going to get drastically better any time soon

Posted via CB10
    I agree. A waste of space.

BlackBerry hates America!
    01-14-15 02:36 PM
    I just don't understand, why is catalog for native apps is still very limited and not much different than it was at launch of BlackBerry 10?
    Wasn't there enough time for blackberry to work with developers to make all the popular apps available bb10 style?

I am not bashing blackberry so I really hope people don't start telling me about android ports or android runtime and the whole argument of which apps do you use and how app needs are different from one person to another, because simply, all of that doesn't cut it. We still don't have a native version of most apps in every category.

I want the native experience, flow, hub notifications, the whole bb10 feel. I don't want to use a ported app nor an apk that is not made for blackberry which in most cases never functions a100% as it was intended to.

It has been over 2 years now since bb10 launch, and if I recall correctly, one of the top executive of BlackBerry at the time promised that the app catalog will improve yet all we got is an updated android runtime!

I think for blackberry to be a real competition, and I don't mean take over apple or google, they need to have more mainstream native apps, otherwise, if it's all about android runtime and app ports, then many people will just go for android for the native experience, and I think at this point blackberry should be capitalizing on every opportunity possible.
    According to Blackberry stats, apps or updates were huge in 2013 and declined in 2nd quarter 2014 shockingly. Just sad. BB native apps are dead. And I am only talking about the major apps.
    01-14-15 06:31 PM
    LOL@ the people saying waste of space. I guess we should all obey and "move on" right? Can I borough your tight jeans and hipster beard?

At the start of BB10 they promised us a big major app catalogue! And now BB World is just a desert. Sure, you sideloading hipster Snap guys want Android and you love that! But guess what! Many want native with the entire BB experience: Flow, Hub, Notification, UI, UX! Some don't want Android design with its gimmicky and childish interface.

We want native apps! No Android!
    arifbsantoso and DezertDwella like this.
    01-14-15 06:42 PM
    I don't get the whole "enjoy what we have or go elsewhere" attitude, I don't see why I can't question why bb10 doesn't get the most popular apps to be native?

I love blackberry and I wouldn't trade it for any other phone out there, but now I should switch to android because I want some native apps!? I mean come on people, If you love blackberry why not want the best for it? Why not use our voice to put pressure on BlackBerry to give us what we ask or at least try to Instead of the you are either with us or against us crap!?
    JesseBabe23 likes this.
    01-14-15 07:05 PM
    Give or take... another 5 years from now by 2019 i'm sure this 'NATIVE APP' issue will be resolved.
    01-14-15 07:12 PM
    I don't get the whole "enjoy what we have or go elsewhere" attitude, I don't see why I can't question why bb10 doesn't get the most popular apps to be native?
    The reasons people are upset are:

1. You could have used the Search function and had your answer in seconds - it's been discussed at length on a hundred or more threads.
    2. Most people here don't like the answer, and having to talk about it again just upsets their stomach.

The answer to your question, BTW, is this:

The only thing that app developers care about is marketshare, because marketshare tells them how much revenue potential an app has to offset the cost of not only developing the app initially, but continuing to support that app for the foreseeable future. As stated, the development and support costs are reasonably close to being the same for each platform, but because of the differences in marketshare, the revenue potential is wildly different. Below about 10% marketshare, and most developers simply won't bother dealing with that platform, period. They'd rather spend their development efforts on, say, a second app for a bigger platform (or big improvements of their first one) than a copy of their first app for a tiny platform.

BB10's marketshare is less than 0.5%, and has been for more than a year. That means BB would need to sell more than 20 times as many phones per quarter as they're selling now in order to get into the 10% neighborhood (well, actually, it would be more than that, because the overall market is still growing, so the target is always moving higher). And how likely do you see that happening when BB isn't even targeting consumers (something they can't afford to do even if they wanted to)?

So, as I said, people don't like to be reminded of this, and they get upset when people continue to bring it up.
    01-14-15 07:26 PM

I love blackberry and I wouldn't trade it for any other phone out there, but now I should switch to android because I want some native apps!? I mean come on people, If you love blackberry why not want the best for it? Why not use our voice to put pressure on BlackBerry to give us what we ask or at least try to Instead of the you are either with us or against us crap!?
    We really do not have Android apps but for Snap or owning your own Android to borrow from. BlackBerry needs to concentrate on their OS and phones first.
    01-14-15 07:35 PM

I wasn't trying to come off rude and I truly hope u didn't feel that way from my post, but this topic had been beaten to death really even before BB10. No one is telling you to stop asking for native apps. There isn't a single person on BB10 that doesn't native apps but after 2+ years, it's apparent that we aren't going to get them until you see BlackBerry device sales pick up by many, many more millions.

In my opinion, it's not a "you're with us or against us" thing....at least with me it's not. It's more a, go where u are happy. Go where your needs are. Putting pressure on BlackBerry for these apps does absolutely nothing or else u would have seen a greater portion of them long ago

Posted via CB10
    ubizmo likes this.
    01-14-15 07:51 PM
    The most popular phones get the most popular apps. It really is just that simple.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    01-14-15 08:03 PM
    The most popular phones get the most popular apps. It really is just that simple.
    Actually that's not entirely true... To amend:

The phones with the most attractive/popular consumers get the most popular apps - and get them first.

The size of the target consumer is the key determinant.

Unfortunately, because of this Blackberry's future in regards to attracting the most & best apps - doesn't look that great.

Blackberry users are top notch & high-engaged (also have disposable income) - except that as a whole, the base is very small & getting smaller.

For most developers it's simply not worth the cost to develop for Blackberry. It's already prohibitively too expensive to develop for android (un-engaged & little disposable income) - but it has a huge user base.

That being said I as Canadian (and now American - though I never have been a Blackberry user) and part of my company's mobile development team - I really hope Blackberry survives without being acquired by Samsung.

(Blackberry would definitely NOT be the winner if acquired by Samsung... it's essentially lights out).
    01-14-15 08:19 PM
    By 2016 it is estimated that 95 % of apps downloaded will be free. BlackBerry has access to but a portion of all of those free apps. I do agree that iOS users are more willing to pay for apps. The other issue here is that BlackBerry has no tablet app market either. We can not have iOS apps but at least we (I) want access to all the free Android apps.
    01-14-15 09:07 PM
    By 2016 it is estimated that 95 % of apps downloaded will be free. BlackBerry has access to but a portion of all of those free apps. I do agree that iOS users are more willing to pay for apps. The other issue here is that BlackBerry has no tablet app market either. We can not have iOS apps but at least we (I) want access to all the free Android apps.
    I'm not sure that's a good thing. Android apps already suck. Having them run in an emulator is even worse.

It will be a shock for Blackberry users (who like iOS users are highly-engaged) to see first hand that quality on Android is practically non-existent. Truth be told: app developers do not QA android apps. It's nearly impossible to & prohibitively too expensive to QA on Android. So no ones does.
    01-14-15 09:50 PM
    My CB android app works fine enough for me. You have to smell the coffee. There will be few new BB10 apps and BlackBerry does not care. They wasted a lot of time and money on Jams etc. Money and time that should have gone to the OS and the Z10.
    01-14-15 11:06 PM
    I don't know. Whataver did happen to them... whataver?

Posted with X10 via CB10
    01-14-15 11:13 PM
    Hmm the issue is two things. Most people complain directly to BlackBerry and not the developers themselves and the other is marketshare are is still too low. As simple as that.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 11:22 PM
35 12