I'm sooooo sick of windows... I don't know much of anything else other than BB / Pb...

lol...the tablets and phones these days of all manufacturers are more user friendly than damn Windows... seriously.
    G-bone likes this.
    11-04-12 02:59 AM
    I'm sooooo sick of windows... I don't know much of anything else other than BB / Pb...

lol...the tablets and phones these days of all manufacturers are more user friendly than damn Windows... seriously.
    Even though BB10 is looking really good, it isn't far ready to become a full desktop OS. Plus, the years of extra programming, the stability and ability for applications etc. etc. can make it a notorious task for RIM and a task that is unnecessary. Yes, I am also not a personal fan of Windows but Mac and Windows have the years of experience and userbase that will brutally destroy RIM's effort if they were ever to make a laptop or desktop OS
    00stryder likes this.
    11-04-12 03:08 AM
    What don't you like about it? What do you find so unfriendly about it?
    11-04-12 03:13 AM
    What don't you like about it? What do you find so unfriendly about it?
    Its probably gonna be DOA because the competition is miles ahead. Making a brand new ecosystem is hard and the others are miles ahead.
    11-04-12 03:19 AM
    I think laptops are dying right now and will be replaced by tablets - for the normal end-user. It doesn't make any sense to build a totally new OS for laptops or local workstations right now. The others are decades ahead. And as you can see with win8: nobody who is really working with computers wants a new concept or new OS.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using the CrackBerry forum app
    ichat and Tha.Housewife like this.
    11-04-12 03:22 AM

By the time they get around to it, they wont be called laptops anymore. I would say the long slow death of the PC and Laptops has begun.The digital conected world is going to be everywhere and conected to near everything. Having a PC in the spare room in the house or working from a standard qube with a desk and PC at the office are all ways of life that will over time totally change.
    11-04-12 03:32 AM

Windows does suck, but there are alternatives already. I may consider a Mac for my next system for the first time. There's always linux. Depending on what you need/do most of the time, a chromebook or large ios/android tablet with keyboard may work for much of your use. I have considered trying to convert to a Asus Transformer for much of my mobile needs.
    11-04-12 03:52 AM
    Quicker for RIM just to build a bonfire and just throw money onto it than to waste time entering the desktop OS market.
    djdragon likes this.
    11-04-12 03:58 AM
    I don't think RIM should go this route. They made a laptop type thing a few years ago BEFORE the Playbook. I don't recall it doing too well.

I had one, now I have no idea where the bloody thing is...
    11-04-12 04:35 AM
    i really dont see that happening ; >
    windows and mac os x are just way too far ahead - and via bootcamp on my mbp i get mountain lion + windows 7, loving it : )

that being said... even though my MBP is kind of new, should RIM ever decide to release their own laptop (+ desktop OS), i would definitely buy one just for the fun of it ^.^
    11-04-12 04:36 AM
    How about we get BB10 up and running first, huh?
    11-04-12 05:24 AM
    I don't think RIM should go this route. They made a laptop type thing a few years ago BEFORE the Playbook. I don't recall it doing too well.

I had one, now I have no idea where the bloody thing is...

I don't remember RIM ever making a laptop, would be curious to see it, any pics?
    11-04-12 06:17 AM
    i really dont see that happening ; >
    It's an impossibility. As others pointed out, it's a huge task, and likely to be a huge failure, but even more important: they certainly do not have anywhere near the resources (financial and otherwise) to pursue it at this time. Even beginning to think about the task hurts. If you think they had headaches getting apps like skype for the phones...imagine trying to get full desktop class apps for a brand new OS!!!
    11-04-12 07:05 AM
    yup i agree
    will not happen �.�
    richardat likes this.
    11-04-12 07:07 AM
    You guys still remember the convertible keyboard cases for the PlayBook? It even had a real trackpad, thats as close to a bb laptop as you will ever get.
    11-04-12 09:01 AM
    Not a chance. The current market is flooded with windows, mac os and linux, three platforms that are quite established. RIM would have a hard time infiltrating the laptop/desktop industry.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9220 using Tapatalk
    11-04-12 09:08 AM
    They need to concentrate on their phones. Being a Windows and Mac dominated world (with a bit of Linux thrown in), it would be unwise at this point to try to introduce a 3rd major computing platform.
    11-04-12 09:17 AM
    I find Windows quite versatile and user friendly. To each his/her own.

Aside from that, RIM has all it can do getting its phones out.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-04-12 09:34 AM
    Although I use my PlayBook with an external Bluetooth keyboard, and the keyboard case does a good job of turning the PlayBook into something similar to a netbook, there are definitely some hurdles that need to be addressed before BB10 could be a serious desktop competitor.

- Apps. The apps I use on my desktop are completely different from my PlayBook. From the full capabilities of Microsoft Office, to using apps like Calibre to convert ebook formats, the apps that are currently available on the PlayBook, and what we've seen for BB10 fall short of their desktop counterparts. Docs To Go is a good office substitute, but there are enough quirks to it that I can't fully replace Word on my desktop.

- Peripherals. Right now, you can connect a few peripherals, like a keyboard or mouse, but you can't connect a flash drive, external hard drive, camera, mp3 player, out a large number of other devices. It sounds like OTG is coming, and that will help, but it really needs to support more devices to be considered a desktop replacement.

- Printing. This is a big one for me. There may be an app or two for printing a few document types, but you can't fully print from the PlayBook right now. Printing would need to be implemented as part of the OS. A lot of times, I'm printing receipts or boarding passes from the web browser. Even on Android, the printing process just sends the URL to the print app (so if you have to log in, you're SOL). There needs to be a much better printing experience to really consider it good enough to replace a desktop. Right now, if I need to print something, I go to my laptop.

As a photographer and developer, the big things for me are Photoshop and developer tools. It would be great to develop BB10 apps right on the device, but right now, there aren't any tools to do this. As far as photography, there are a lot of photo tools out there, but they are very basic features that don't match the capabilities of CS. Layers, cloning, liquify, brushes, batching, presets, and actions are just a few of the tools that really haven't been addressed in tablet versions.

Would it be a nice thing to see? Sure. But there is a lot that has to be accomplished first.
    11-04-12 09:36 AM
    Nothing wrong with Windows/Mac/Linux/etc...

RIM needs to focus on BB10. That's it.
    11-04-12 09:37 AM
    Starting to spend resources on hardware design for a full-blown pc or laptop won't be done at RIM. However, I think getting a piece of the desktop cake in the now coming post-PC era is definitely in their mind. Remember the TAT video where you just go to your work place, put your smartphone on the desk and start working with it / its data on the big screen?

With a smartphone as powerful as the Aristo you could do most of the things you are doing with your pc today. So, on hardware side a decent dock providing connectivity to your peripherals should be enough. Samsung just introduced one for the GSIII (Multimedia Dockingstation EDD-S20EWEGSTD with 3x USB, 1x HDMI).

What about the software needed to replace a pc? There's much to do in order to transform a mobile operating system to a mobile computing system. The problem of lacking applications is pretty dominant on a BlackBerry user's mind, I know, but that is not the only hurdle to overcome. A different desktop shell providing a windowing system for use with a big screen needs to be there. Just like the one offered by Ubuntu for Android, no lame compromises like Windows 8. Basic desktop functionality like printing is essential, too. Thanks to the QNX core a lot could also be ported from Linux. For example, CUPS, the common UNIX printing system, that also provides printing on the Mac. Going back to apps, I think that there are web apps emerging that aim to be used with a decent browser (Adobe Photoshop Express, MS Office 365, Google Docs, ...). Guess why RIM is investing so much into the BB10 browser. They even ship patches upstream, i.e., help improving WebKit, and thus work on interoperability with various desktop platforms via their browser. RIM is also trying to get open source linux developers on board (BB Contributor Device Program). Most of those open source applications aren't inferior alternatives. They are just not as widely spread as commercial ones because they are rather invisible to the ordinary user. If you get apps like Amarok, LibreOffice, Scribus, GIMP, Inkscape, VLC etc. into an already used ecosystem's software distribution system (app store), they will be noticed. It's not the applications preventing Linux' breakthrough on the desktop (imho).

Photographers and other professionals won't be able to replace their machines just like that but for every day use it will be pretty much painless to leave Wintel devices behind. Just give it another 5 years and get a Mac in the meantime ;-)
    FoxxBerry likes this.
    11-04-12 10:58 AM
    Yeah, RIM needs to focus on BB 10, and they are. But. As a long range thing, a QNX - based desktop would be great for me. I've never been satisfied with Microsoft or Apple. Haven't tried Linux yet, but will.
    Windows is compatible with everything, but has 10,0000,000,000 viruses and could be a lot more user friendly. Apple is compatible with itself, more malware is being built for it everyday, and it is neither as secure, nor as user friendly as Apple would have you believe.
    BB 10 on a desktop would have the potential to be compatible, user-friendly, and secure.
    So, is it pie in the sky right now? Sure. But I'd like to cut me off a piece.
    I'd definitely buy one...
    11-04-12 10:59 AM
    i really dont understand why people have problems with Mac Os X or Windows 7
    as i've said.. im using a mbp with bootcamp, so i have both mountain lion and windows 7 on it, and... they're both really really simple to use..

in the past i've always had viruses on my computers.. but since windows 7 i have no complaints Oo
    and apple? im well aware of the fact that Mac OS X is not 100% safe, but seriously... i've never had a single virus/malware or whatever on mac os x.. in my opinion mac os x is really as safe as it gets
    and i really don't know what you people (who have malware-problems on mac os x) are doing....

so.. i definitely like mac os x and windows 7.. 0 problems therefore no complaints
    never used linux before... couldn't care less about an OS which approximately 300 people are using

i love RIM, i love BlackBerry, but i see absolutely no need for another desktop OS
    11-04-12 11:25 AM
    Yeah, RIM needs to focus on BB 10, and they are. But. As a long range thing, a QNX - based desktop would be great for me. I've never been satisfied with Microsoft or Apple. Haven't tried Linux yet, but will.
    Windows is compatible with everything, but has 10,0000,000,000 viruses and could be a lot more user friendly. Apple is compatible with itself, more malware is being built for it everyday, and it is neither as secure, nor as user friendly as Apple would have you believe.
    BB 10 on a desktop would have the potential to be compatible, user-friendly, and secure.
    So, is it pie in the sky right now? Sure. But I'd like to cut me off a piece.
    I'd definitely buy one...
    An OS is only as secure as its popularity and it's user. Windows has the most malware due to it being the most popular platform in the world - it becomes a big target for hackers. A hacker can write once and have the largest potential to hit jackpot due to the numbers and probability alone. A user that visits certain types of sites, allows questionable apps to run, and opens strange attachments or links in emails will make themselves vulnerable regardless of OS.
    11-04-12 12:12 PM
    Remember the TAT video where you just go to your work place, put your smartphone on the desk and start working with it / its data on the big screen? ;-)
    Yes I remember that how can I find that video?
    11-04-12 08:39 PM
26 12