Having only BB since the smartphone revolution occurred, can someone explain to me how other OS have problems with email and messaging? Everyone says that the BB is best on messaging, but does not say why the others are substandard.

I have to choose whether to upgrade by Bold 9700 to the new Bold or pick up an Android (probably Atrix 4G) in August/September.
    07-05-11 09:26 AM
    Having only BB since the smartphone revolution occurred, can someone explain to me how other OS have problems with email and messaging? Everyone says that the BB is best on messaging, but does not say why the others are substandard.
    They don't and are not substandard. BB is superior for messaging largely because of the keyboard (IMHO).
    07-05-11 09:45 AM
    In my opinion, BlackBerry is the best ... good phone, emails, texts, internet, occasional game of solitaire, camera and class like none of the other brands even comes close to. Like I said IMO
    So of course my next phone will be another BlackBerry !
    07-05-11 10:04 AM
    My HD2 (winmob) receives emails fine but trying to type one out ....... you can lose the will to live and oh the call quality is ... not good
    Last edited by daveycrocket; 07-05-11 at 12:06 PM. Reason: add content
    07-05-11 12:04 PM
    The Bold 9930 looks like a step in the right direction but I really hope RIM addresses the lack of third party developer support they have. It's not acceptable to me to be a blind fan and make excuses like we don't need 400,000 junk apps and keep our heads buried in the sand. I'm visiting Sea World today and of course they are advertising they have apps for ride times for iPhone and Android but of course not for BlackBerry. I know there isn't a daily need for a Sea World app but there is a need to be able to get apps as you need them for daily activities. RIM is supposedly trying to make headway into the consumer market, let's make sure they know apps are indeed important to consumers.
    08-21-11 01:31 PM
    It's not acceptable to me to be a blind fan and make excuses like we don't need 400,000 junk apps and keep our heads buried in the sand.
    I agree but I think it's a lost cause. Few developers will invest time developing for OS7 since they know the OS has reached end of life. Apparently, developing for the BlackBerry OS is a real pain, which doesn't help. The future is QNX and I was hoping developers would embrace it. Unfortunately, four months after the PlayBook's release the NDK is nowhere to be found, sales are dismal and the selection in AppWorld is a joke. I knew it was the PlayBook's weakness but it's even worse than I thought.

For what it's worth, I have found that I can usually find the apps that I need for my BlackBerry phone. Of course, there are four or five titles that I would like to see that are not available. (Some of them are not available on Android either, for that matter.) The PlayBook is a different matter as it is missing some of the major apps that everyone expects (Kindle, DropBox, etc.) We don't need a thousand different fart apps, but we do need Kindle, Netflix, etc. and we don't have them either.
    08-21-11 08:25 PM
    I agree but I think it's a lost cause. Few developers will invest time developing for OS7 since they know the OS has reached end of life. Apparently, developing for the BlackBerry OS is a real pain, which doesn't help. The future is QNX and I was hoping developers would embrace it. Unfortunately, four months after the PlayBook's release the NDK is nowhere to be found, sales are dismal and the selection in AppWorld is a joke. I knew it was the PlayBook's weakness but it's even worse than I thought.

For what it's worth, I have found that I can usually find the apps that I need for my BlackBerry phone. Of course, there are four or five titles that I would like to see that are not available. (Some of them are not available on Android either, for that matter.) The PlayBook is a different matter as it is missing some of the major apps that everyone expects (Kindle, DropBox, etc.) We don't need a thousand different fart apps, but we do need Kindle, Netflix, etc. and we don't have them either.
    Hopefully when QNX is on HH's as well then things will change in app development!!
    08-21-11 08:36 PM
    I was planning on the iphone 5 but the more I have thought about it the more I am leaning towards the 9930. 9930 should have a better camera and a front facing camera and to me it's frustrating. But for what I use my smartphone for I think 9930 will be more productive than an iphone.
    08-21-11 08:38 PM
    I ditched my torch 1 after a year of use, currently using sgs2...a new bold looks interesting but I don't know if I can copr with smaller screen anymore..pity the torch slider terrains similar body..if it gets bigger or thinner I will get one for sure..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    08-21-11 09:18 PM
    it is rare for me to be happy with any cellular phone for a long time, and i have a habit of 'cell hopping' from one form of phone to another before i settle on that one particular model. and in the past and up until my last 'hopping' feat i carried around the same Nokia 5190i i had since High School and even used it on Page Plus when i had no other phone. i must say that the BlackBerry Curve i use now is the only other phone i am truly happy with. and when i am happy buying another is a plan for twenty years or so later. i don't care about obsolesence if what i have works for me.

honestly there are only a few things i want in any phone, and it's not always bigger screens, movies, music or apps:

1. reliable, durable
    2. good battery life (when my Nokia was new it was amazing, but now it would be lucky to last a day lol)
    3. shock proof (my Nokia AND BB are amazingly sturdy and dropping them has not harmed any of them, but the ol'e 5190i has duct tape to keep the battery held in!)

4. useable signal
    5. simple non-complicated OS.

BlackBerry has used a similar OS style to my old 5190i which i always found intuitive, easy and fast to learn, and stable. Nokia had pioneered the icon-based menus long ago, now BB has used this as a template since the Inter@ctive Pager, and i applaud anyone who works and improves but does not radically change what has worked for years. hitting menu on my Curve gives me similar icon-based, simple, functional menus that make me feel right at home. i don't ask for much in a phone.
    Last edited by nickdalzell1; 08-21-11 at 11:18 PM.
    Velize likes this.
    08-21-11 11:13 PM
    it is rare for me to be happy with any cellular phone for a long time, and i have a habit of 'cell hopping' from one form of phone to another before i settle on that one particular model. and in the past and up until my last 'hopping' feat i carried around the same Nokia 5190i i had since High School and even used it on Page Plus when i had no other phone. i must say that the BlackBerry Curve i use now is the only other phone i am truly happy with. and when i am happy buying another is a plan for twenty years or so later. i don't care about obsolesence if what i have works for me.
    I so agree, I get like that too, I just like a phone and stick...I so miss my curve 8310 and had it for a while before changing over, was a great little phone.....stick with what you like and works for you....
    08-21-11 11:17 PM
    My contract won't expire until November 2012, so my next Smartphone, if another BB, will very likely be a QNX device.
    Velize likes this.
    08-21-11 11:18 PM
    My contract won't expire until November 2012, so my next Smartphone, if another BB, will very likely be a QNX device.

Yes right, my contract ends this NOvember, so I was looking forward to upgrading to the new torch, but it does make more sense to wait until next years new QNX devices!!
    08-21-11 11:21 PM
    My Upgrade is not until August of 2012, so my next phone with either be a Blackberry QNX or a discounted 9930 by then.

Either way I am sticking with blackberry. It is the device that fits my needs and wants. I don't facebook, twitter, watch movies, listen to music, or play games on my phone. Nor do I web surf other than going to a few selected sites, mostly bill paying related.

Offhand I cannot think of an App that I need or want that I can't get on blackberry ( I have 41 apps installed.)

I prefer a physical keyboard and Blackberry has the best ones on the market. And it all comes in a nice reasonable sized form factor with excellent battery life and reliability.
    08-22-11 09:08 AM
    As of right now my next phone will be a Blackberry. But that's a couple years from now so we will see what happens when the time comes. I love Blackberry but there may be something better when the time comes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-11 10:52 AM
    The trouble is I am not only communicating. I also need to read, which I can't do in such a small screen of candybar phones.
    For work emails, bb is probably the best with physical keyboard..but the compromise of screen size is too much for me. Moreover the demography of bb users is more of teens and social types.

the rest of social stuff.like fb and twatter, I don't use..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    08-22-11 11:26 AM
    i do actually like Facebook on my phone (the app, not the crappy WAP site) and it is a nice upgrade. being the nature lover i am (as if my profile pic is not enough proof!) it is greener when i can use my BB which is easily charged off a tiny 5W solar cell vs. my power-hungry laptop. although sometimes it is easier to type on a laptop depending on how long the post is

In my opinion the demographic of most BB users aside the corporate stereotype is those who like a solid platform that does not change too often and they prefer something dependable. even if it looks dated, large, or has an admittedly smaller screen. if folks want Netflix on a 5" screen, perhaps Android or iPhone is more their speed. but for those of us who chat or talk more than play Angry Birds or watch movies, (honestly movies are more enjoyable on a nice large LCD HDTV than even a large tablet but oh well) then BB is the way to go
    Last edited by nickdalzell1; 08-22-11 at 09:09 PM.
    08-22-11 09:06 PM
    Well I thought my 1 year Anniversary with the Torch was today, but it's actually tomorrow and my contract expires Next August and so I will probably be leaning towards the QNX Colt. However, since it is going to be all full touchscreen I may look into the 9900 because by then prices will be terrific. So I can try both phones at that time. Can't wait! Christmas will definitely come early for me.
    08-22-11 09:48 PM
    BB Bold 9930 paired with a Playbook (hopefully with the "2.0 re-launch" OS).

I probably won't upgrade for another 4 months (Christmas gift to self).
    08-22-11 11:20 PM
    Depends. I really want a new blackberry to replace my venerable 9700. Not impressed with what I've seen thus far, however. Maybe new iphone or nexus until qnx devices come to market.

Here's to hoping it doesn't take too long of a wait.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
    08-22-11 11:58 PM
    Changed my mind from the 9900, i'm thinking the new blackberry curves
    08-23-11 08:20 AM
    Just curious what people envision as their next smartphone purchase and why they are going that route?
    I've been using a BlackBerry for five years now (first the Pearl 8130 and now the Tour 9630). I've been looking to upgrade my phone but I haven't seen a BB worthy of upgrading to especially on my carrier (Verizon).
    I can't see myself going to an iPhone so I've been seriously considering looking toward the Android phones.
    The biggest issues I have with BB is the lack of quality phones available at my carrier and the poor browser / app experience I've had overall. There seems to be very little developer support for BB. Every interest I have I always see there is an app available for iPhone or Android and very rarely for BlackBerry. The apps I do see for BB are usually more expensive than their counterparts on other smartphones and have less functionality and less appealing to the eye (i.e. Facebook).
    BlackBerry does a few things extremely well like their push notifications, email and BlackBerry Messenger. BBM is become less useful to me since less than two out of every ten people I know even own a BlackBerry. Instead I just use it to communicate with my wife these days and use a cross platform messenger (LiveProfile) for everyone else.

I am interested in hearing thoughtful responses about what you see for the future and what smartphone you think you will choose and why.
    Please refrain from the typical fanboy/loyalist responses and I'd rather not hear RIM hater responses either. I am at a real crossroads here.
    Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond.
    Seeing as though I had and enjoyed BlackBerry for 3 years (I had the Storm, Storm2), I highly recommend the Windows 7 Phone. There are new devices coming out (including the Samsung Galaxy s2 - has a super AMOLED screen (stays bright and visible even in intense sunlight)), super thin and the fastest phone on the market. Windows 7 Phone gives free upgrades and after they put together the latest os's coming out it came in:

1) Windows 7 Phone (24 frames per second)
    2) Android (12 frames per second)
    3) BlackBerry (4 frames per second)
    4) iPhone (2 frames per second)

Windows 7 Phone uses Bing maps (turn by turn spoken navigation - for FREE) and gives the option of google maps too. If you want YouTube, you'll have to get a secondary app for that, because due to the Microsoft vs Google war going on now, Google took the YouTube off the marketplace. Android has a very suspect os...and has been shown that it won't be reliable. BlackBerry may have slow os at times, but it's a reliable one that Android couldn't say.

I myself have Windows 7 Phone and I have yet to do a hard restart since I got the phone. If I didn't have a W7P phone, I would go back to BlackBerry. I loved my time with BB. I would never go to Apple.

You get to have live tiles that update automatically and change pictures around. It's really an awesome feature. You can also sync information wirelessly (music, documents, pictures)... You also have the "cloud" online drive storage (Apple calls it the "cloud", Microsoft calls it the "SkyDrive").

I could go on, but I'm going to give you a few links below to look at. Put it this way, you've come to rely on reliability with BlackBerry correct? W7P is the same way. EXTREMELY reliable. It's the fastest os out on the market today (and fastest internet speed - it will be the quickest with September's "Mango" update. Verizon has the HTC Trophy (which is essentially an Android Windows 7 Phone (if that makes any sense) without Super AMOLED right now. If you wait until September...even early October, you will get a rash of new devices coming out with Windows 7. Including the Samsung Galaxy s2 that's supposed to be the best phone out there...

Windows Phone ‘Mango’ update stuffed full of features (List) - GeekWire

Joe Belfiore shows off Windows Phone Mango - YouTube!
    08-23-11 09:21 AM
122 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD