i actually like my iphone 4 A LOT. It gets everything done and i like the bigger touch screen because when i dont need a keyboard im not forced to stare at one.

With that being said, i believe the Playbook to be a superior product to the iPad and because tablets seem to be the 'new' thing in tech if RIM could make a device that is progressively better (according to whenever they release it) and support it properly i have NO DOUBT that the masses will eventually see the fact that QNX and the PB are much better than iOS and iPad. The only problem is getting RIM to the point in time where they can do this effectively because the way it looks right now people just arent interested in RIM
    01-28-12 10:43 PM
    If rim could make the bold with a 3.0-3.2 wide display, while still maintaining that awesome keyboard, not going dual-core, they don't need it, applying themselves in the entertainment aspects of the device, and revamping their OS, then they'd kill. Not majorlly but it would bite into apple and androids stake in the market.

I don't buy inti the rim is done crap, but it will eventually happen if they don't give the masses what thy want.

Oh yeah, don't ever put that continuous focus camera on a bb device again.
    01-28-12 11:20 PM
    How is implying that some top level person decided that everyone needed the new buzzword tool is irrelevant? It happens all the time. Yes, Apple or somebody decided to convince someone that using a tablet was the new thing to do. But, for my brother's company, there was no app that made the iPad required. So, he has an iPad and he has a laptop that is also a tablet, the iPad is not needed or used for business.
    Don't miss the forest for the trees.

It's irrelevant because how they got into Big Pharma is not the issue. The issue is that they are making inroads and RIM is not.

And there are Pharma friendly apps. Novartis is having one designed specifically for their reps that will display the products, efficacy rates, and prescribing information.

New York University Hospital has an app that allows emergency room Drs to view X-Rays and patient information.

The mentality that the iPad is only used to play angry birds is why RIM is where it is. And the idea of some that the PB is best for business is misguided. Some businesses require more than a suit, tie and MS Office.

Cheers!
    01-28-12 11:36 PM
    Maybe BlackBerry should make their phones less indestructible. :P

I had the Bold 9000 for 2.5 years, dropped it, scratched it, broke the trackball. I 'retired' it but I use it when I am in Germany or Hong Kong... My 9800 has been dropped many times too. Still works. My friend's father fell into Lake Ontario with his BB, it worked after 2 days sitting in rice.

My friend with an iPhone 4 lost it in a club on a drunken night. Bought a new iP4. Drowned it by accident. Bought a new iP4S... all within 12 month span. That's a lot of money! The boyfriend's sister had her iP3S stolen, but too poor to replace it.

Maybe if BB made more inferior products (relative to the tank-like quality they are now) but be able to market it so people still want to replace it after it breaks/gets stolen, it would be as successful as Apple. :P

*sigh* I'm still finding an excuse to replace my 9800 with the 9900, but there's nothing wrong with it.
    01-29-12 01:52 AM
    We, the general user, want an awesome mobile experience.

This means fluid OS, yet rock solid and stable.
    The best components (autofocus camera for example, good battery life).

R�f�rence iphone 3gs, iphone 4, iphone 4s.
    01-29-12 07:37 AM
    The IPhone to me is like a chick flick. More of a feminine phone. Like a convertible. The Android is like Star Wars. For the nerds out there. Like a hybrid. And Blackberry could be like a luxury car. Like a Cadillac. It could be the universal phone and cater to everyone.

It's quit simple. Have 3 versions on the phone. An all tough screen that resembles the IPhone, a Torch and a Bold. Variety is key.

Specs that match or are better than those of the top IPhones and Androids. The most important thing about this, make sure the specs are above or the same at the same time a new IPhone or Android comes out.

Rim has always been a year behind. They need to be up to date or in front of the others.

Have some apps that are exclusive only to Blackberry.

I guarantee that Rim will be back on top again. Especially with the Bold form factor. I hate touch screen and so does every IPhone and Android user whether they admit it or not.
    Did you conduct a poll with every IPhone and Android user??? I HAVE TO ADMIT IT I LOVE THE TOUCH SCREEN. You must of missed me in your poll. It would take years and alot of innovation for RIM to stay at #3 let alone #1.. Are they still #3? I really don't know..
    Last edited by skier1960; 01-29-12 at 08:50 AM.
    01-29-12 08:44 AM
    I don't think it's really the specs or what it has to make BB compete with the rest of the market. Iphone users stay on iOS regardless if phones have the best specs. They just like having an iphone. that's it. I really think its the mentality that everyone has for blackberry right now. that needs to be changed. There needs to be some more thought provoking marketing going on.
    I really don't think just the marketing will help. They need better products... And fast!!
    Last edited by skier1960; 01-29-12 at 09:06 AM.
    01-29-12 08:57 AM
    The IPhone to me is like a chick flick. More of a feminine phone. Like a convertible. The Android is like Star Wars. For the nerds out there. Like a hybrid. And Blackberry could be like a luxury car. Like a Cadillac. It could be the universal phone and cater to everyone.

It's quit simple. Have 3 versions on the phone. An all tough screen that resembles the IPhone, a Torch and a Bold. Variety is key.

Specs that match or are better than those of the top IPhones and Androids. The most important thing about this, make sure the specs are above or the same at the same time a new IPhone or Android comes out.

Rim has always been a year behind. They need to be up to date or in front of the others.

Have some apps that are exclusive only to Blackberry.

I guarantee that Rim will be back on top again. Especially with the Bold form factor. I hate touch screen and so does every IPhone and Android user whether they admit it or not.
    Two model BB's are all that's needed. Skip the "iPhone type". Apple will stay with their form factor, which is already out of date. It's the Android, that you have to watch out for. HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc., have taken the best of Apple(or maybe it's the other way around) and ran with it. Every Android owner that i know, about 25 people, have gone over from Apple, NOT BB. RIM has a chance here, with good leadership and especially marketing, to make a comeback. Love him or hate him, Steve Jobs was a marketing whiz, who could make people want a new Apple product instead of sex! Sorry for the analogy.
    01-29-12 09:16 AM
    Two model BB's are all that's needed. Skip the "iPhone type". Apple will stay with their form factor, which is already out of date. It's the Android, that you have to watch out for. HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc., have taken the best of Apple(or maybe it's the other way around) and ran with it. Every Android owner that i know, about 25 people, have gone over from Apple, NOT BB. RIM has a chance here, with good leadership and especially marketing, to make a comeback. Love him or hate him, Steve Jobs was a marketing whiz, who could make people want a new Apple product instead of sex! Sorry for the analogy.
    If you built a Cruise ship and called it the Titanic and had someone like Jobs do the Marketing,do you think many people would sail on it??? It's hard to market products that are behind the times.. You hit the nail on the head "Two model Bbs are all that's needed".RIM has way to many similar products. Look at companies like Honda and Toyota, they hurt the Big Three with familiar products year after year. They kept the products up to date, with inovation and quality. RIM should look at those business models and learn from them. When RIM has product (Smartphone) that suits me I will switch back in a heartbeat..
    Last edited by skier1960; 01-29-12 at 09:45 AM.
    01-29-12 09:33 AM
    If you built a Cruise ship and called it the Titanic and had someone like Jobs do the Marketing,do you think many people would sail on it??? It's hard to market products that are behind the times.. RIM needs to slim down their product line, they have way too many similar products. I have an iphone and the minute RIM makes a product as good I will switch.
    As i said, RIM does need to slim down their product line. I believe that Jobs could sell tickets for the TitanicII, and get people on board! Go into your dictionary, and look up the word LEMMING. You'll see what i mean.
    01-29-12 09:39 AM
    As i said, RIM does need to slim down their product line. I believe that Jobs could sell tickets for the TitanicII, and get people on board! Go into your dictionary, and look up the word LEMMING. You'll see what i mean.
    I don't have to look it up I know what a Lemmings is. The difference between you and I is that your a hater and can't look at things with an open mind
    01-29-12 10:01 AM
    I don't have to look it up I know what a Lemmings is. The difference between you and I is that your a hater and can't look at things with an open mind
    Why am i a "hater". What is it that i hate?
    01-29-12 10:07 AM
    Why am i a "hater". What is it that i hate?
    Could be I misunderstood. You did infer that iPhone owners are lemmings??? Insulting people seems to indicate hate towards them.. OK hate is a strong word.. How about dislike for iPhone users...
    01-29-12 10:14 AM
    Now all you people claiming RIM can't be number one again: shame on you.
    Of course RIM could turn this around, but it will take alot of time with the right products. We don't know what changes the new CEO has in mind but with new leadership at top, the game may yet change.
    01-29-12 10:27 AM
    Could be I misunderstood. You did infer that iPhone owners are lemmings??? Insulting people seems to indicate hate towards them.. OK hate is a strong word.. How about dislike for iPhone users...
    Absolutely wrong! I'm an iPhone user. My reference was to the fact that Steve Jobs was a marketing expert! The "lemmings" analogy was a good reference to his skills. One thing i will admit though, is that i'm not a fan of seeing those "zombies"(how's that), waiting in line for days at the local Apple Store. To go through that, and sleep on the pavement, i hope that they all get Samsunged! That sir, is the lemming factor!
    01-29-12 10:33 AM
    You do realize that lemmings don't actually jump off of cliffs, right? That misconception was created by Disney for their film White Wilderness, and they had to force the poor little creatures to do that.
    01-29-12 10:40 AM
    A person's brain is hard-wired a certain way.Example...If your favorite movie stars use an iPhone, then iPhones must be the best. If Kim Kardashian uses a BB, then BB's suck. Bad analogies. I have a BB, an iPhone, and i might get an Android. It's what's best for ME, that's important, not what other people use. By the way, the best part of Kardashian, is what you see when she's walking away from you. Just my personal opinion.
    berry4life99 likes this.
    01-29-12 11:08 AM
    Absolutely wrong! I'm an iPhone user. My reference was to the fact that Steve Jobs was a marketing expert! The "lemmings" analogy was a good reference to his skills. One thing i will admit though, is that i'm not a fan of seeing those "zombies"(how's that), waiting in line for days at the local Apple Store. To go through that, and sleep on the pavement, i hope that they all get Samsunged! That sir, is the lemming factor!
    Oops!! Yes I did misunderstand I should have looked at avatar before posting Sorry!! I do agree 100% On the "zombies" . Never slept on pavement or any of the above. One poster said we should be ashamed not to think RIM would never be #1. Hey I hope they make Mega Millions of bucks.. I just think it's going to be very difficult if not impossible to be # 1..
    01-29-12 11:10 AM
    RIM not going to ever be #1 again... Even if they made devices using the best hardware, even if their new OS is extremely smooth and fast and fully upgradeable for years to come, even if they create an ecosystem where consumers can easily access content - books, music, movies, tv shows and applications. And even if the release all of that next week, it wouldn't make a difference, RIM's days as #1 are over. They missed the boat a couple of years ago and it isn't coming back for them. If the day Apple release the iPhone they had started making changes... maybe they would have had a chance.

Doesn't mean they can't be a player, just that they aren't going to be the star. Once invested in a particular ecosystem like many are with Apple - people and business are not going to just walk away unless there is a very good reason. Apple learn a lesson with Microsoft, and they want to be the Microsoft of the smartphone era.

Of course who knows... maybe RIM will be the first to have devices controlled by the users brain waves - no touchscreen or even the venerable keyboard.

Now I don't want to Argue RIM will be #1, nor do I expect them to be #1 again, but they very much COULD be #1 again with many scenarios'

Scenario 1:
    Apples iCloud/iTunes gets Hacked, user data, and account information is released onto the Internet and shared like wild fire, a few high level business people and or celebrities have scandals due to the hack
    Business' who have adopted the BYOD policy QUICKLY would revert back to Company controlled devices with the top most security model, Welcome Back BlackBerry, Celebrities, both big and small suddenly care about their security again, Welcome Back BlackBerry,
    Assuming BlackBerry Catches up to a "good enough" in all other ecosystem related areas and they keep their security in place they could come back to #1

Scenario 2:
    Googles New privacy policy is shown to be too "Big Brother" and company's start getting fearful of Giving google too much control of their data, so Google Apps accounts start being shut down, Android Phones don't make it into BYOD programs, and Hardware partners start pushing with Open Source WebOS, and Windows Phone,
    RIM would still have to Battle with Apple, but getting the ecosystem and giving people choices shows that 1 Manufacturer can beat Apple, today that is Samsung, tomorrow it Could Be RIM

Scenario 3:
    RIM "get it" and realizes they need 2 overlapping ecosystems,
    They need an ecosystem for Enterprise that includes Cloud support, App developing tools, and private App worlds, Media sharing services, FULL control/tracking of content,
    The Consumer ecosystem also needs cloud support, well populated public app world, media sharing/consuming/purchasing services, abilities to track and control content on devices remotely.
    Beyond their ecosystems meeting the demands of both Consumers and Enterprise, they are building hardware to make people excited, they are advertising, marketing, training, and displaying their products well, and they offer something NEW and unique (maybe BBM Music idea for other content with a purchase model built in, something socially linked will be what can make them relevant)

ALL 3 Scenario's are not likely to happen, but Any of them could bring people back to RIM and Make RIM #1, to say it will never happen is to say in the 90's that Apple will never be anything more than a niche electronics manufacturer.
    01-29-12 11:11 AM
    A person's brain is hard-wired a certain way.Example...If your favorite movie stars use an iPhone, then iPhones must be the best. If Kim Kardashian uses a BB, then BB's suck. Bad analogies. I have a BB, an iPhone, and i might get an Android. It's what's best for ME, that's important, not what other people use. By the way, the best part of Kardashian, is what you see when she's walking away from you. Just my personal opinion.
    Walking towards me in my house is much better!!
    berry4life99 likes this.
    01-29-12 11:16 AM
    My wife would kill me, but she knows that i'm a heiney man.LOL
    01-29-12 11:33 AM
    Totally OT: Having seen Kim in person many times over the course of 7 years, and I mean Back when she was just some random cute girl hosting parties here in the city. I can say that most folks would be surprised to see how hot she's NOT in person.

Now Megan Fox is smokin'! In PERSON!!
    01-29-12 11:35 AM
    Totally OT: Having seen Kim in person many times over the course of 7 years, and I mean Back when she was just some random cute girl hosting parties here in the city. I can say that most folks would be surprised to see how hot she's NOT in person.

Now Megan Fox is smokin'! In PERSON!!
    I'll take your word for it, but i still like Kim's bootie!
    01-29-12 11:40 AM
    Forward thinking and support from consumers.

I agree when other posters point out BBs are underpowered for what they're competing with. But I have to laugh when I look at my Storm 2 and feel as though I can do more EFFECTIVELY with it than I can with any iPhone or Android. BBOS has always been efficient when communication is the objective (email, BBM, internet, IM) but it hasn't truly grown into the new arena where apps determine sales more often.

I maintain the marketing/advertising angle needs to be reexamined and pushed like crazy; people buy what they see in front of them. Sponsoring New Year's Rockin' Eve was a step in the right direction...but there needs to be more.

Specs have come up though they're still behind top tier Android and the iPhone, but BB7 can still throw down with them when used intelligently. However, the best device in the world can still fail if NO ONE BUYS IT!

TurboGrafx 16 comes to mind: great idea, innovative and affordable, but no one wanted it because of the SNES and Genesis advertising their collective rears off!

Make a product ahead of what the competitors are making and let the world know about it.
    01-29-12 12:11 PM
    RIM has way to many similar products.
    Perception is reality, after all.

I still believe Iconic, All-Touch and Slider are fine. Just make them all available for every carrier, instead of pick-and-choose.

I had Verizon for years, and all I wanted was to replace my Storm with a Torch 9800. Burned my biscuits when it was AT&T exclusive!

RIM doesn't make too many handsets. They make a slightly different model for each network type and it seeeeeems like there's 80 devices coming out.
    Last edited by berry4life99; 01-29-12 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Didn't add quote I wanted.
    01-29-12 12:21 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD