Not everyone wants an iPhone. And not everyone wants an iPhone clone.

RIM needs to be true to what they are, and build from that. Hopefully, BBX is as fluid, intuitive, eye catching, etc. that an OS needs to be.

But not just that, good marketing is the key.

And I think the progression of the screen sizes in smartphones that don't have keyboards, and how popular it has become, it is a clear indication that the need of a physical keyboard isn't as vital as it once was. I'm on a device without one, and I barely miss it, considering what I would be giving up just to have one.

Sent from Motorola ATRIX 2 using Tapatalk
    01-27-12 03:22 PM
    Many people predicted the fall of android once iphone became available on vzw.

It didn't happen. Android still outsells the iphone.
    Not on Verizon. . .

iPhone propels Verizon to best net subscribers in 3 years

Not on AT&T

AboutUs Mobile

Not U.S.-wide. . .

Apple beat Google smartphones in U.S.-researcher

Since I can't imagine a Verizon iPhone affecting other countries, I'm not sure where in the U.S. Android is outselling the iPhone. Feel free to elaborate, though.
    01-27-12 03:25 PM

Another way to look at this (which is more valid, imo) is not comparing Android sales and iPhone sales, but instead comparing phone manufacturer to phone manufacturer, and then you do see some issues: for example, HTC and Motorola, who were red-hot with their Android phones, are floundering. Now it is Samsung who is the Android darling.

So in that sense, HTC and Motorola are "falling". Android as a whole is fine in large part due to Samsung, but for certain handset manufacturers who utilize the OS, it's not all rainbows and unicorns as they hoped it would be.
    01-27-12 03:27 PM

It was an iPhone4 and many expected the iPhone replacement out in summer. Verizon sold 4.2 Million iPhones in Q4 2011. Again Verizon isn't pushing it hard because selling an iPhone for them cost more than selling an Android and they didn't get into a deal where they have to sell a ton of them like AT&T did at the beginning and Sprint is in now. I see nothing but iPhone commercials from Sprint anymore. I can't even remember the last one featuring Android like they used to do with the EVO since getting the iPhone. T-mobile is chomping at the bit for an iPhone.
    Last edited by lnichols; 01-27-12 at 03:40 PM.
    TGR1 likes this.
    01-27-12 03:37 PM
    Another way to look at this (which is more valid, imo) is not comparing Android sales and iPhone sales, but instead comparing phone manufacturer to phone manufacturer, and then you do see some issues: for example, HTC and Motorola, who were red-hot with their Android phones, are floundering. Now it is Samsung who is the Android darling.

So in that sense, HTC and Motorola are "falling". Android as a whole is fine in large part due to Samsung, but for certain handset manufacturers who utilize the OS, it's not all rainbows and unicorns as they hoped it would be.
    Agree somewhat with this statement. I think as time goes on..we're starting to see who the clear competitors are within the Android market itself. Motorola's bootloader locking policies have really turned a lot of people off of their products, and it's showing. LG has been putting out crap phones with crap skins, and the market is responding.

Since it's only been around for a few years, at first it was all about who could put out the bestest hardware. But for the Android community as a whole, the weak phone makers and those with sh*t policies..are being rejected..and those who are putting out the better all around phones, without restrictions (bootloaders, updates etc) are beginning to stand out within the community.

I think the "shake-up" within RIM is being mirrored somewhat within the Android manufacturers as well. HTC is now looking for "one legacy model" similiar to what Samsung has in the Galaxy line..and is planning on refining their manufacturing process and cut back on the number of phones it's releasing. I think other manufacturers are also scrambling for a way to define themselves, and I don't think some will make it (LG, SonyEricsson).
    TGR1 likes this.
    01-27-12 03:57 PM
    Since I can't imagine a Verizon iPhone affecting other countries, I'm not sure where in the U.S. Android is outselling the iPhone. Feel free to elaborate, though.
    I think his was a general statement..that Android was only successful due to lack of iPhone carriers, and thus when other carriers started stocking the iPhone, Android would wither and die. While iPhone may still be outselling them on a carrier to carrier basis...Android as a whole hasn't gone anywheres marketshare wise, and is "here to stay".

At least that was what I gathered from his statement.
    01-27-12 04:02 PM
    IMO there is to much competition in the moble industry to take the top spot again. I doubt there will ever be 1 and they dont have to. They just need to get BB10 to the market and not have continue to have major delays or buggy software. BB10 should easily be right inline with other leading platforms if all goes as anticipated. That is all they need, modern and feature rich that is easy to develop for.
    BB10FTW and Superfly_FR like this.
    01-27-12 04:56 PM
    IMO, top spot isn't necessary, but I think RIM could absolutely take the top spot if they would be innovative and creative, not copy cats.

Robots are only impressive till the reality sets in. The only chance they have to "compete" is to compete in today's marketplace, not "duplicate" what's already out there.

If RIM just duplicates the iphone and droid, how would they convince users away from their devices for "more of the same"?

I mean, someone would have to come up with something awesome times 10 to get ME away from the berry...
    01-27-12 07:49 PM
    The IPhone to me is like a chick flick. More of a feminine phone. Like a convertible. The Android is like Star Wars. For the nerds out there. Like a hybrid. And Blackberry could be like a luxury car. Like a Cadillac. It could be the universal phone and cater to everyone.

It's quit simple. Have 3 versions on the phone. An all tough screen that resembles the IPhone, a Torch and a Bold. Variety is key.

Specs that match or are better than those of the top IPhones and Androids. The most important thing about this, make sure the specs are above or the same at the same time a new IPhone or Android comes out.

Rim has always been a year behind. They need to be up to date or in front of the others.

Have some apps that are exclusive only to Blackberry.

I guarantee that Rim will be back on top again. Especially with the Bold form factor. I hate touch screen and so does every IPhone and Android user whether they admit it or not.
    That is pretty shallow thinking. If RIM wants to claim #1 spot, they have to produce a fundamental shift in consumer mindset and expectations, and that's just the first step.
    BB10FTW likes this.
    01-27-12 08:52 PM
    Android still outsells the iphone.
    edit (Had not sen RickRoller's links refuting this)

I believe Apple pulled ahead in Q4, their first full quarter with VZW. Any reason to believe they can't hold their lead?

Remember, the iPhone 3GS still outsells every model (individually) of Android phone, and the 4 outsells the 3GS, and the 4S outsells the 4.

But even combined (why?) the iPhone now leads all Androids combined.

---

A fundamental change occurred in US retail smartphone sales. Android prospered due to the most-used page in the Verizon training manual. The page that told them how to handle the number one question:

"Smile and say 'No, but this is just like the iPhone'."

That was it. That line sold androids, and Verizon no longer needs to use that line. They have ripped the page fom the manual, with predictable results. Now they just say "White or Black?" and ring up the sale.
    Last edited by Palmless; 01-27-12 at 09:09 PM.
    01-27-12 09:03 PM
    IMO, top spot isn't necessary, but I think RIM could absolutely take the top spot if they would be innovative and creative, not copy cats.
    Be realistic and honest. Do you think RIM *will* be innovative and creative enough to be top in sales?

I don't. Too vicious a market for a company that has had difficulty reacting quickly enough.

For one thing, Microsoft arguably has such a product. They haven't yet gotten traction but they do have resources and a history of plugging on until they succeed. They are in the way.

For another thing, Apple and Google/Android must first falter very badly. That's unlikely in the near term. Some day it is very likely some company will pass them but it won't be RIM.
    01-27-12 11:09 PM

You're pitifully misinformed. But I'll let it stand because I don't even know where to begin.
    01-27-12 11:54 PM
    BBX Phones with a 4.5" screen by April
    That would be nice but sad to say i doubt it. I have my upgrade now and have to wait!!! I know it will be worth it but I just hope my Bold 9700 can last, I have beat it up pretty badly and other then the scratches and small chips it works like new, very impressed with the build.
    01-28-12 12:33 AM
    I am not a fan of Android or iPhone, cant deny their success but Apple's iPhone outsells Android. They have their back and forth wins and loses but at the end of the day the 3 iPhone models outsell the 3 million Android devices. I personally dont like to compare all those Android devices to the 3 iPhone models because its kind of unfair. No flagship Android has outsold the current iPhone it competes against.
    01-28-12 12:46 AM
    They'll get there they just need to get working on a more enorgamic phone with a great touch screen and a sliding swerty board but itstead of bieng vertical make it horizontal.(Like the motorolas) and integrating a grand exclusive built OS that will change mobile platform indefinitely making its user choice from diferent settings meeting there need such as busnisse, media player, solcial, or gamer and allowing the app market into the scene

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-12 03:41 AM
    I have no particular need for Rim to be number 1, means nothing to me.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-28-12 03:58 AM
    I don't need to see RIM as the #1 to be happy. Of course, if it happens that'd INSANELY GREAT. However, I'd be happy if I see 25% of market share for all 4 mobile devices, BB, Droid, Win & Apple. I'm totally against monopolies...
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    01-28-12 08:51 AM
    I think it has more to do with a marketing campaign. None of the ads that have come out in the last few years have really shown the strength of BlackBerry.

When countries started talking about banning BlackBerry, where was the ad showing a foreign minister frustrated at not being able to access BlackBerry information ( "D^mn you BlackBerry!" )? Private & secure should have been a selling point.

When BlackBerry Protect went live, where was the commercial with a girl leaving her BB at a nightclub, showing her locking it remotely, and finding its location? Or maybe a business professional who leaves their BB in a taxi, lost forever, but able to make a backup, then wipe it from BlackBerry Protect?

They made a small effort with the BBM commercials, but it only showed people talking about BBM, not really showing off the BBM features. My wife and I use BBM Groups to record family events in the group calendar, and a grocery list in the group as well. There would be plenty of ways to show off the benefits of BBM without showing some guy just talking about it (never made sense why they didn't show devices being used).

I think that if they showed more real-life BlackBerry use (not just a bunch of people dancing to a DJ), and actually showed BB strengths in use, it could go a long way towards promoting even the current BB line-up (without having to wait on the BB10 devices).

Sent from my gTablet using Tapatalk.
    MACKSnare519 likes this.
    01-28-12 08:51 AM
    APPLE also signed a pretty big Pharma deal yesterday to provide iPads to their sales reps. If Pfizer also goes iPad like their saying, Apple will one the Big Pharmacy enterprise market.

I don't know why it seems R.I.M moves so slowy.

Get on it!

Or accept 3rd place.
    Other than not having native PIM apps on the Playbook, why couldn't RIM have done this ? Oh wait, I think I just answered my own question. Plus they lack vision.

RIM doesn't need to be number one, look at Apple, when they were number two, the were taking in over 60% of the cell phone markets profits. Not a bad spot to be in. I wonder what their profit percentage is now ?

Apple Sneaks by Android in Fourth Quarter U.S. Smartphone Sales - MacRumors Forums

And of course Apple still takes the majority of the profits. Which to me is more important than being number one in sales. Looks like their business plan actually works.
    01-28-12 10:22 AM
    Other than not having native PIM apps on the Playbook, why couldn't RIM have done this ? Oh wait, I think I just answered my own question. Plus they lack vision.

RIM doesn't need to be number one, look at Apple, when they were number two, the were taking in over 60% of the cell phone markets profits. Not a bad spot to be in. I wonder what their profit percentage is now ?

Apple Sneaks by Android in Fourth Quarter U.S. Smartphone Sales - MacRumors Forums

And of course Apple still takes the majority of the profits. Which to me is more important than being number one in sales. Looks like their business plan actually works.
    Google doesn't really need their experiment (aka Android) to be first, so their business plan is working. I'm sure Samsung feels the same.

I feel that of RIM puts out fewer (read: condensed) compelling products, they'll be okay.
    01-28-12 10:26 AM
    Blackberry doesn't need to be #1. Android os is spread out over so many devices, but only a couple is in the top 10. So is it because of the os or the device itself they are there? All Rim has to do is keep building solid devices keep the os crisp.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-12 11:24 AM
    Specs Specs Speccccs!

Playbook had pretty good specs, but it flopped - do you know why? Because it has terrible software. Nobody cares about the specs, they care about what they can DO with it. That's what all this is for...productivity.

Your attempt to marginalize the Android as a nerd-phone and iPhone as a chick phone is pathetic. You walk down any street and find the first person you can still wearing a cell phone holster and I guarantee you, that dork is rocking a Blackberry phone in that holster.

Sure geeks like Android and sure, those with taste appreciate the iPhone, but you know where that leaves Blackberry? People who know nether tech, nor taste.

The IPhone to me is like a chick flick. More of a feminine phone. Like a convertible. The Android is like Star Wars. For the nerds out there. Like a hybrid. And Blackberry could be like a luxury car. Like a Cadillac. It could be the universal phone and cater to everyone.

It's quit simple. Have 3 versions on the phone. An all tough screen that resembles the IPhone, a Torch and a Bold. Variety is key.

Specs that match or are better than those of the top IPhones and Androids. The most important thing about this, make sure the specs are above or the same at the same time a new IPhone or Android comes out.

Rim has always been a year behind. They need to be up to date or in front of the others.

Have some apps that are exclusive only to Blackberry.

I guarantee that Rim will be back on top again. Especially with the Bold form factor. I hate touch screen and so does every IPhone and Android user whether they admit it or not.
    01-28-12 08:34 PM
    1. Make blackberry be perceived as a consumer device.

2. Apps, apps, apps..without a solid ecosystem, it will never gain traction against iOS and Android no matter how strong its specs. Hopefully, the PB should help BB10 gains some solid app traction

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-28-12 09:02 PM
    but you know where that leaves Blackberry? People who know nether tech, nor taste.
    This statement shows you to be stupid. I use a.Blackberry for what it does for me. I work on phones and computer so I know.know teck. I have an 07 and 10 GT mustang, 09 roush mustang, 04 f250 crew fx4 larait and an 04 f150 screw fx4. I have 3 john deere tractors. I have taste. My phone doesn't define who I am.
    Doesn't say much about you being a fan of other platforms and hanging out in a.blackberry (tastless forum)
    01-28-12 09:48 PM
    If you're implying that some "misinformed" manager is making the calls at these Pharma Cos. That's irrelevant. AAPL got the try-out.

You may want to believe that these are aberrations, but they're not.
    How is implying that some top level person decided that everyone needed the new buzzword tool is irrelevant? It happens all the time. Yes, Apple or somebody decided to convince someone that using a tablet was the new thing to do. But, for my brother's company, there was no app that made the iPad required. So, he has an iPad and he has a laptop that is also a tablet, the iPad is not needed or used for business.
    01-28-12 09:53 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD