The IPhone to me is like a chick flick. More of a feminine phone. Like a convertible. The Android is like Star Wars. For the nerds out there. Like a hybrid. And Blackberry could be like a luxury car. Like a Cadillac. It could be the universal phone and cater to everyone.

It's quit simple. Have 3 versions on the phone. An all tough screen that resembles the IPhone, a Torch and a Bold. Variety is key.

Specs that match or are better than those of the top IPhones and Androids. The most important thing about this, make sure the specs are above or the same at the same time a new IPhone or Android comes out.

Rim has always been a year behind. They need to be up to date or in front of the others.

Have some apps that are exclusive only to Blackberry.

I guarantee that Rim will be back on top again. Especially with the Bold form factor. I hate touch screen and so does every IPhone and Android user whether they admit it or not.
    JoyfulHeart35 likes this.
    01-27-12 11:55 AM
    What will it take for RIM to be #1? An aquisition from Apple or Samsung.
    01-27-12 12:01 PM
    What i will take is for RIM to actually compete with the competition on all levels and exceed them.

iPhone is now used for business use, Android is also used for business use. True neither boasts the security of RIM but RIM needs to compete with these devices and exceed what they offer.

That's simple business I guess
    woofer82 likes this.
    01-27-12 12:03 PM
    The IPhone to me is like a chick flick. More of a feminine phone. Like a convertible. The Android is like Star Wars. For the nerds out there. Like a hybrid. And Blackberry could be like a luxury car. Like a Cadillac. It could be the universal phone and cater to everyone.

It's quit simple. Have 3 versions on the phone. An all tough screen that resembles the IPhone, a Torch and a Bold. Variety is key.

Specs that match or are better than those of the top IPhones and Androids. The most important thing about this, make sure the specs are above or the same at the same time a new IPhone or Android comes out.

Rim has always been a year behind. They need to be up to date or in front of the others.

Have some apps that are exclusive only to Blackberry.

I guarantee that Rim will be back on top again. Especially with the Bold form factor. I hate touch screen and so does every IPhone and Android user whether they admit it or not.
    I actually like the touch screen. Don't understand why everyone thinks they speak for EVERYONE else.

What will it take for them to be #1 again? Innovative products. Copying Apple and Android is NOT innovation.

It's IMITATION.
    01-27-12 12:08 PM
    You guys have to understand BB in the US was never big because it was BB. It was from the enterprise purchasing devices. And on the consumer front, it was from the low end Curves. But since Android took over that niche market. BB isn't something a consumer would want. Especially an low end Android vs low end Curve.

The only reason BB had a healthy market share in the US is because they were pretty much the only smartphone at the time. Not many compared.

So now RIM has to make a top end device that competes with the other top end devices.
    howarmat, undone and MACKSnare519 like this.
    01-27-12 12:09 PM
    I don't think it's really the specs or what it has to make BB compete with the rest of the market. Iphone users stay on iOS regardless if phones have the best specs. They just like having an iphone. that's it. I really think its the mentality that everyone has for blackberry right now. that needs to be changed. There needs to be some more thought provoking marketing going on.
    01-27-12 12:14 PM
    What i will take is for RIM to actually compete with the competition on all levels and exceed them.

iPhone is now used for business use, Android is also used for business use. True neither boasts the security of RIM but RIM needs to compete with these devices and exceed what they offer.

That's simple business I guess
    APPLE also signed a pretty big Pharma deal yesterday to provide iPads to their sales reps. If Pfizer also goes iPad like their saying, Apple will one the Big Pharmacy enterprise market.

I don't know why it seems R.I.M moves so slowy.

Get on it!

Or accept 3rd place.
    01-27-12 12:14 PM
    BBX Phones with a 4.5" screen by April
    01-27-12 12:22 PM
    RIM not going to ever be #1 again... Even if they made devices using the best hardware, even if their new OS is extremely smooth and fast and fully upgradeable for years to come, even if they create an ecosystem where consumers can easily access content - books, music, movies, tv shows and applications. And even if the release all of that next week, it wouldn't make a difference, RIM's days as #1 are over. They missed the boat a couple of years ago and it isn't coming back for them. If the day Apple release the iPhone they had started making changes... maybe they would have had a chance.

Doesn't mean they can't be a player, just that they aren't going to be the star. Once invested in a particular ecosystem like many are with Apple - people and business are not going to just walk away unless there is a very good reason. Apple learn a lesson with Microsoft, and they want to be the Microsoft of the smartphone era.

Of course who knows... maybe RIM will be the first to have devices controlled by the users brain waves - no touchscreen or even the venerable keyboard.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 01-27-12 at 04:45 PM.
    TGR1 likes this.
    01-27-12 12:26 PM
    The Samsung Galaxy S2 looks quite similar and slender as the iPhone, have you thought maybe that's why it's selling like crazy, just like the iPhone? And look at the Bold 9900: thin, quite curvy with that rounded look on top and on the bottom, and that stainless steel perimeter...is it channeling its feminine side?

Looks to me like RIM wants to go feminine. Then again, don't they make pink Cadillacs for those Mary Kay ladies? Maybe a feminine Cadillac is what RIM needs...
    01-27-12 12:36 PM
    RIM needs to change there model to be more like IBM. SaaS (software as a service).
    Funny, they are already moving in that direction. BES will support devices that are non-BB. IT then has the chance at saying to management, look we can manage all the crazy devices you all think you need for your job. The handsets then dont need to be a staple in their business strategy. Dont stop making them, just generate more revenue from services. They have a NOC and all the back end.
    01-27-12 12:38 PM
    What will it take for RIM to be #1? An aquisition from Apple or Samsung.
    ^That would be their only hope.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-27-12 12:39 PM
    APPLE also signed a pretty big Pharma deal yesterday to provide iPads to their sales reps. If Pfizer also goes iPad like their saying, Apple will one the Big Pharmacy enterprise market.
    My brother is one of those sales reps who has an iPad. Doesn't use it at all. Basically someone sold some manager a dream with nothing to back it up with.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    01-27-12 12:47 PM
    If BBX isn't out by early summer with some SERIOUSLY compelling features, BlackBerry won't survive the year. Not with iPad 3 and iPhone 5 coming. I don't think they can make it anyway. Even if BBX is AWESOME and there are still enough people left to care,....the apps aren't there. Firing BOTH the CEO's (that will never make any sense to me) was the right decision, but it should have been done two years ago. Too little, too late, like they say.
    01-27-12 12:47 PM
    What it will take for Rim to be #1 again ?

Are you sure #1 is the right spot for RIM ?
    I don't ... anyway, not now. They have to rebuild a solid confidence of their loyal 70 million consumers, serve them with the best software and hardware, innovate in corporate environments (including private/work balance) and then ... build stocks.
    No rush, no compromise : be RIM, not "x-alike".

Please RIM, put loyalty in #1, we'll evangelize.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 01-27-12 at 01:05 PM.
    TgeekB, howarmat and cntrydncr223 like this.
    01-27-12 12:55 PM
    If BBX isn't out by early summer with some SERIOUSLY compelling features, BlackBerry won't survive the year. Not with iPad 3 and iPhone 5 coming. I don't think they can make it anyway. Even if BBX is AWESOME and there are still enough people left to care,....the apps aren't there. Firing BOTH the CEO's (that will never make any sense to me) was the right decision, but it should have been done two years ago. Too little, too late, like they say.
    Other devices you quote are "unknown capabilities" yet. Sure, they may add some blush and apps, optimize some technical points ... but that's it. So I'm not that threated by this, it won't drastically change the game from now with 4s and ip2. About apps, with the most remunerative App platform and the ease of port (HTML5) ... it won't be long until we may say "wait, don't push garbage in AppWorld, please".

$ 0,02
    01-27-12 01:00 PM
    I'll give you simple.....

Make a killer phone with killer apps. Easier said than done though...

And to expand on that a little, have just three products, a Slab phone, a keyboard phone, and a tablet.
    01-27-12 01:02 PM
    My brother is one of those sales reps who has an iPad. Doesn't use it at all. Basically someone sold some manager a dream with nothing to back it up with.
    1.) My wife is a rep with Novartis. They're testing the iPad with their reps here in the city. As per her: "THE PHYSICIANS LOVE IT."

2.) A Pharma 'manager' doesn't have the authority to choose devices. Coporate management does. Novartis is testing the iPad here in NY, FL, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and a couple of other larger cities.

If you're implying that some "misinformed" manager is making the calls at these Pharma Cos. That's irrelevant. AAPL got the try-out.

Alliance Bernstein(Top 7 Mutual Fund and EFTS Co in the U.S.) is also looking at providing it's Wholesalers with the iPad.

You may want to believe that these are aberrations, but they're not.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 01-27-12 at 04:57 PM.
    01-27-12 01:07 PM
    While numeral uno would be nice they don't need to be #1 to be successful.
    01-27-12 01:10 PM
    I think RIM could be number 1 again, or a solid 2. Nobody thought Android could beat Apple, but Apple let it happen by staying on one carrier and the other carriers pushed what they could. RIM failed to provide an alternative for Verizon with the Storm 1 and 2 so they moved on to Android and hit gold (imagine if RIM had put out a great touch device then!). If you look at Android sales they sucked on AT&T (because they had the iPhone), but were great on Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile. Android was the closest thing those carriers could to an iPhone so they made the best/most of it. I bet Android sales on Sprint will drop significantly because they are pushing the iPhone hard because of the deal they made with Apple and have to sell a ton of them to break even. Verizon is still pushing droid hard I think so that they aren't beholden to Apple (remember Apple came to them to grow and Verizon was still number 1 and selling droids like crazy, Sprint basically sold the farm for Apple), and because it costs them more to sell an iPhone because of the high subsidy compared to other phones (Verizon didn't need the iPhone, the iPhone needed Verizon). I think that if RIM comes out with a solid BB10 device it could poach plenty of Android users. Android users as a whole, simply aren't as satisfied with Android as iPhone users are iPhone (70% for iPhone, 50% for Android). That means that RIM has a shot to poach people not satisfied with Android and that is a large potential number of people.

I'm in no way implying that this will happen, lord knows that RIM's ability to execute anything is awful lately, but I see Android's dominance right now as simply a matter of iPhone non-availability and cheaper iPhone-like devices. They don't really have an ecosystem like Apple has and RIM is working on, just an app market and google+. If RIM were to execute BB10 right (big if giving their past blunders) and make BB10 phenomenal then they could easily become that iPhone-like device with a full ecosystem behind it. Again all my opinion and I'm sure that the rooting, overclocking Fandroids that don't represent the vast majority of Android users will disagree.
    01-27-12 02:14 PM
    I'd say have two models -- one that resembles the Torch and one that resembles the Bold. Skip the one that resembles the iPhone.
    cntrydncr223 and mrrsquared79 like this.
    01-27-12 02:15 PM
    What it will take for Rim to be #1 again ?

Are you sure #1 is the right spot for RIM ?
    I don't ... anyway, not now. They have to rebuild a solid confidence of their loyal 70 million consumers, serve them with the best software and hardware, innovate in corporate environments (including private/work balance) and then ... build stocks.
    No rush, no compromise : be RIM, not "x-alike".

Please RIM, put loyalty in #1, we'll evangelize.
    Agree with this post.

I think rim will be #1 when pigs fly, ( in jest )

But i don't need my products to be #1 for me to buy them, they just have to be a solid device, something im passionate about or something i am willing to support.

Maybe they will be #1 again one day, but i can't see that happening for quite some time, though i can see them greatly increasing market share
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-27-12 02:30 PM

But i don't need my products to be #1 for me to buy them, they just have to be a solid device, something im passionate about or something i am willing to support.
    Very well said.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-27-12 02:33 PM
    Less is more...less units=better quality product and materials. A top quality BB10 Blackberry with touch screen and a BB10 Blackberry with a qwerty keyboard.
    This way you can accomodate HD recording and auto focus.
    That's about it. The 9900 just didn't cut it because of this flaw. For the sake of a few millimetres the battery life could have improved and had auto focus. Then you have a BB worth talking about.

I see no one talked about the outages. The new CEO needs to address those first and foremost. This was the most damaging thing to RIM and its response.

There should be NO COMPROMISE on service,workmanship and sales.No company wants to become a myth. I don't want a duopoly of Android and Apple. Make a difference. The World needs an alternative.

TIME TO GET BUSY!!!
    01-27-12 02:53 PM
    I think RIM could be number 1 again, or a solid 2. Nobody thought Android could beat Apple, but Apple let it happen by staying on one carrier and the other carriers pushed what they could. RIM failed to provide an alternative for Verizon with the Storm 1 and 2 so they moved on to Android and hit gold (imagine if RIM had put out a great touch device then!). If you look at Android sales they sucked on AT&T (because they had the iPhone), but were great on Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile. Android was the closest thing those carriers could to an iPhone so they made the best/most of it. I bet Android sales on Sprint will drop significantly because they are pushing the iPhone hard because of the deal they made with Apple and have to sell a ton of them to break even. Verizon is still pushing droid hard I think so that they aren't beholden to Apple (remember Apple came to them to grow and Verizon was still number 1 and selling droids like crazy, Sprint basically sold the farm for Apple), and because it costs them more to sell an iPhone because of the high subsidy compared to other phones (Verizon didn't need the iPhone, the iPhone needed Verizon). I think that if RIM comes out with a solid BB10 device it could poach plenty of Android users. Android users as a whole, simply aren't as satisfied with Android as iPhone users are iPhone (70% for iPhone, 50% for Android). That means that RIM has a shot to poach people not satisfied with Android and that is a large potential number of people.

I'm in no way implying that this will happen, lord knows that RIM's ability to execute anything is awful lately, but I see Android's dominance right now as simply a matter of iPhone non-availability and cheaper iPhone-like devices. They don't really have an ecosystem like Apple has and RIM is working on, just an app market and google+. If RIM were to execute BB10 right (big if giving their past blunders) and make BB10 phenomenal then they could easily become that iPhone-like device with a full ecosystem behind it. Again all my opinion and I'm sure that the rooting, overclocking Fandroids that don't represent the vast majority of Android users will disagree.
    Many people predicted the fall of android once iphone became available on vzw.

It didn't happen. Android still outsells the iphone.
    01-27-12 02:57 PM
85 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD