It is quite obvious RIM did not have plans to move from BB OS until it was almost (or maybe) too late. Now with BB 10, they have the chance to make a comeback and become relevant again. I do not believe that at this point they can reclaim their top spot but they do not need to be number one to be successful or profitable. With their very public stumble, I am wondering if they have learnt their lesson and have at least thought about what they will do after BB 10 is five years old and is mature to the point where it is all about refinement and not innovation. Apple is at this point with iOS and Microsoft is long past that point with Windows and has done a severe change in Windows 8.

RIM is competing against Apple, Google and Microsoft who may be in the mobile market but it is not their only market so it is similar to the bookstore competing with the department store. They need to expand other markets. With QNX, they are in the car infotainment market but they cannot stop there. Google is trying to use Android to get into the home and being able to run your house with your android phone, why can't they use QNX and its security and reliability to get there. They don't have to be first, they just need to be best.

So my question is this, with QNX or anything other system they could develop, if you were in the R&D department, what would you be looking at to diversify the company?
    10-17-12 10:47 AM
    From what I read BB10 will be good for 10 years but yep they can't just stay stale like they did if they have learned anything something should already be cooking.
    10-17-12 11:02 AM
    IMO QNX could make an awesome desktop software. Maybe even replace the phone handheld screen with sun glasses or a clip on display projector for sun glasses
    10-17-12 11:12 AM
    You're talking about a small segment of what RIM can do with QNX the real answer is connecting Machine to Machine and as broad as that is QNX is posied to be the best system to take us there aside RIMs NOC and security.

Machine to machine is the real future that's what mobile computing really means. Not what "PCs" have defined computing as. Their is a difference and BB10 will cater to both because of QNX.

Rather, we believe RIM is a company at the beginning of a transition that we expect will once again change the way people communicate. In technology, it is not if you have to change, but when you have to change, and we are in the earliest days of truly mobile computing - an era in which people interact with the world around them in ways we could barely imagine just a few years ago. With BlackBerry, RIM created the framework that gave people their first taste of an untethered yet completely connected life.
    - Heins in The Globe and Mail
    10-17-12 11:14 AM
    they have a "10 year plan" supposedly and as long as that includes redoing the 10 year plan every year they will be OK i think. If there is one thing RIM has learned hopefully is never dismiss the competition like they did and think that they know better what the market wants than the market themselves. This might be what ultimately leads to Apple having to make severe changes to their OS also
    mikeo007 and richardat like this.
    10-17-12 11:18 AM
    You're talking about a small segment of what RIM can do with QNX the real answer is connecting Machine to Machine and as broad as that is QNX is posied to be the best system to take us there aside RIMs NOC and security.

Machine to machine is the real future that's what mobile computing really means. Not what "PCs" have defined computing as. Their is a difference and BB10 will cater to both because of QNX.

- Heins in The Globe and Mail
    i might be wrong, but does anyone know what exactly is mobile computing? seems like he is just throwing that word around without properly explaining it. He just throw it out there and said it will change people lives and its the future. i don't think that explains anything. what is bb10 offering thats so different than other OS? especially in mobile computing?

also, what machine to machine means?

thanks
    10-17-12 11:33 AM
    Forget the ten year plan, the company will succeed or fail in the next twelve months and it all relies on selling high volumes of BB10 at high margins - all the qnx stuff, 'internet of things' and so on is certainly important in the long-term but in the immediate future unless they get Bb10, the company will be broken up before any of that is relevant or results in any important revenue streams.

Innovation and the long-term is important but currently every dollar they spent on it is a dollar less they spent on securing their immediate future - tricky challenge to get the balance right.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    richardat and jivegirl14 like this.
    10-17-12 11:45 AM
    i might be wrong, but does anyone know what exactly is mobile computing? seems like he is just throwing that word around without properly explaining it. He just throw it out there and said it will change people lives and its the future. i don't think that explains anything. what is bb10 offering thats so different than other OS? especially in mobile computing?

also, what machine to machine means?

thanks
    Machine to machine means: Multiple devices able to communicate, exchange and share information.
    Mobile computing means: The ability to run full complex applications that are usually reserved for a desktop enviroment along with the ability to run them as you would in a desktop enviroment (true multitasking).
    10-17-12 01:13 PM