I have a 9700. Wife already changed to Android a couple months ago because her 8900 was dying and TM/RIM only had phones w.o. UMA and TM only had the 9900 - not only w.o. UMA but a much worse camera than older BB.
    I understand that the UMA problem will be fixed in OS7 by year end. However, I have read that the next generation of BB will be out by April. What will that do for users that a functional OS7 doesn't?
    IF it is a whole new system, won't that mean none of the existing apps will work?
    Also, is there yet another upgrade due even beyond that by the end of 2012?
    11-20-11 11:13 PM
    I'm not exactly sure of everything you are asking,

But I'll try my best to Answer

Q: What does BBX offer that BBOS7 not offer
    A: BBX uses far more languages to build apps for, and is no longer limited by the JVM as OS7 is,
    BBX will have the New Cascades UI, Devs: Open & Astonishing Native SDK Cascades UI Framework Coming by End of November - BerryReview

Q: Will all the Old Apps not work on BBX
    A: From DevCON is seems that Apps made for BBOS6 and BBOS7 will be supported by BBX, as well as apps written in HTML 5 or Webworks, which is the tend of apps now, chances are most apps you like on BBOS6 or OS7 will have equivalents for BBX pretty early

Now some speculations are that RIM will finally have a FFC on their BBX phones, with Android repackager the speculations are that we'll see Skype on the BBX phones

BBX is RIM's future, they will continue to develop for it, and unlike the JVM based BBOS BBX will be far more scalar, which should mean longer life for Apps developed for BBX
    11-20-11 11:22 PM
    What will that do for users that a functional OS7 doesn't?

I don't know, whatever it is that everybody bitches about current BB's not having.

I'd guess for starters, 1024 x 600 resolution, ffc, and hopefully a more developer-friendly ecosystem. I've also heard rumors of a BBOS emulator for backward app compatibility.
    11-20-11 11:27 PM
    Thanks for quick reply. So - it sounds like BBX is the LONG term solution/upgrade for BB, not just an interim fix.
    Since BBX is supposed to be out the first half of 2012, I might as well wait before thinking of upgrading. If they fix OS7 (UMA) next month and I got a 9810 - it could be obsolete in 6 months!

...mike
    11-20-11 11:28 PM
    Thanks for quick reply. So - it sounds like BBX is the LONG term solution/upgrade for BB, not just an interim fix.
    Since BBX is supposed to be out the first half of 2012, I might as well wait before thinking of upgrading. If they fix OS7 (UMA) next month and I got a 9810 - it could be obsolete in 6 months!

...mike
    Well the 9810 wont be "obsolete" until HSPA+ is no longer available as LTE takes over, in 6-8 years time, as the earliest.

your 9810 wont be CURRENT, but that does not make it Obsolete.

and yes BBX is RIM's new OS architecture based on a QNX core, and the Cascades UI, It is safe to say QNX will be at the core of Every RIM OS until mobile phones become tools of yesterday.

IF you are the kind of person who upgrades once every 2 years, and don't mind a touchscreen phone, AND you like BlackBerry's user experience then I most certainly say wait until the first BBX phone, it will have the same resolution as the PlayBook, meaning most PlayBook apps will be portable to the first BBX phone on day 1.
    11-20-11 11:42 PM
    An ideal phone would have both a touch screen and a BB keyboard. I don't consider OS7 "current" since it doesn't have UMA - which we make use of when overseas. Everything the last few years thru OS6 had it.
    I'll wait for the BBX phones to come out - assuming my 9700 keeps rolling along.
    11-21-11 12:01 AM
    The Blackberry 9700 is very nice Blackberry GSM phone...

I used the Blackberry 9780 and i was very happy with it... i think it's worth to wait for the Blackberry 9790 and then upgrade.
    11-21-11 08:39 AM
    OP,
    Your post had me thinking. So what is it that the BBX phones will do that our current OS7 phones don't.
    Nothing came to mind except that the BBX phones will have anti Troll features built into them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    TrespassersW likes this.
    11-21-11 08:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD