We are not talking about inhouse custom built apps. If someone is willing to pay, someone will build it. I'm sure if someone offer Microsoft a billion dollar, they will build a Skype app in what ever flavour you want. We are talking about apps that company/developer build to be consume by the masses from BB world.
    You develop apps your way and I will build them mine. I have been in the software business long enough to know where the money is. Many tried to go the shareware route and made very little money. Lots of shareware apps were very popular. I went the corporate route and sold my services to businesses from small to very large customers. I was very successful. BB10 is another development tool for me. I will continue to develop business apps with it.
    bigglybobblyboo likes this.
    01-13-14 09:00 PM
    That is my point, there will be no choice.
    I don't use Android apps and will and have paid for a comparable native app over the free Android.
    01-13-14 09:02 PM
    They should do some more promotions. That's all I'm waiting for. Before anyone jumps me, I know the developer promotions were a stupid waste of time and money that didn't really help BlackBerry, but hey, I'd be interested in taking advantage of them some more.

If they go back to giving us free devices, $100 cash money for apps that took all of 4 minutes to write, all expenses paid trips to developer conventions and free swag; myself and a lot of other small time developers would go back to developing native apps for them. Only if they actually made that a requirement to qualify for the promotions though.

Otherwise, there really isn't much of a point in writing an actual BlackBerry 10 app. BlackBerry themselves created a situation where the ROI is simply much, much better if you code for Android instead. Why write a BB10 app when the same amount of work could be invested in writing an app that is available on three (Android, Jolla Sailfish and BlackBerry 10) different platforms?
    CairnsRock likes this.
    01-13-14 09:15 PM
    When you say "a lot of users", that isn't enough users for devs to put real effort into developing for and supporting BB10. The sales are abysmal.

Photo a Day Channel: C002B5A07
    Your point is relevant to those app developers who have decided to not develop apps for BB10 because of its low market share and decided to stick with developing for only Android and iOS.

My point is referring to those app developers who have weighed all the factors against developing for BB10 and decided that it was still worth developing for that platform. For those specific developers, they have decided that they can make money developing for the BB10 platform.

My point is that among this user base, no matter how small it is or how small you perceive them to be, there will be a significant portion of them will prefer native apps specifically built for BB10 over ported apps. These users will more likely buy and download those native BB10 apps.

So for these app developers, it would be an incentive for creating BB10 apps, even though they could just port over an Android app.

Sent from my iPod touch using CB Forums mobile app
    Last edited by web99; 01-14-14 at 12:37 AM.
    01-14-14 12:25 AM
    Another point to consider is sheer visibility. If I develop a new Android app, the odds that I'll attract any attention at all are slim, no matter how good the app may be.

BB10 is still a new platform though, and not all of the ground has been staked. It's fairly easy for a decent app to attract attention.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30
    Bluenoser63 and DrBoomBotz like this.
    01-14-14 10:50 AM
    I buy the native apps only from now on, most of the android app in bbw are crap and doesn't work as well as native one

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    01-14-14 02:41 PM
    A better question would be what would be the incentive for developing any apps for any platform?

Get-rich-quick schemes might not work for app developers | Mobile - CNET News

A couple of quotes:

According to predictions by the research firm, less than 0.01 percent of mobile apps will be considered financially successful by their developers in the next four to five years.
    According to a study done last year by research firm Canalys, of the more than 1 million apps in Apple's App Store only one-third get more than 1,000 downloads in their first year.
    That means that 2/3 have less than 1000 downloads. Even at .99 cents, not a lot of money.

Gartner estimates that by 2017, 94.5 percent of app downloads will be for free apps.
    So very few will ever make money at this. That is why I target a different market segment.
    Last edited by Bluenoser63; 01-14-14 at 04:28 PM.
    bigglybobblyboo likes this.
    01-14-14 03:59 PM
    Another point to consider is sheer visibility. If I develop a new Android app, the odds that I'll attract any attention at all are slim, no matter how good the app may be.

BB10 is still a new platform though, and not all of the ground has been staked. It's fairly easy for a decent app to attract attention.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30
    My understanding from a couple of articles buried on the Web somewhere was that many devs like BB10 for that very reason, their app actually sees the light of day.

I'm sure I saw recently as well that BlackBerry users are more likely to download an app?

Could be wrong tho, I'll leave it to the devs here, they'll know better than me...

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 04:11 PM
    My understanding from a couple of articles buried on the Web somewhere was that many devs like BB10 for that very reason, their app actually sees the light of day.

I'm sure I saw recently as well that BlackBerry users are more likely to download an app?

Could be wrong tho, I'll leave it to the devs here, they'll know better than me...

Posted via CB10
    But if put their Andorid app in BB world, wouldn't it get the same visibility?
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-14-14 04:17 PM
    My little informal non scientific survey suggests that most Business Apps are made for the iphone and a smaller number for Android. Not very many at all for BlackBerry 10. It is too late in the game to not start off with the missing Android Apps in BBW. Later as BB10 grows and matures in the market place, I think that the native Apps will come.
    01-14-14 04:56 PM
    My little informal non scientific survey suggests that most Business Apps are made for the iphone and a smaller number for Android. Not very many at all for BlackBerry 10. It is too late in the game to not start off with the missing Android Apps in BBW. Later as BB10 grows and matures in the market place, I think that the native Apps will come.
    How "informal" is it? Based on your daily activity or your neck of woods business field? Or you are a CIO? Please elaborate. Thx.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 06:14 PM
    What do you consider business apps? List them please.
    01-14-14 09:21 PM
    What do you consider business apps? List them please.
    I did say informal + non scientific ... consulted some listings ( 5 or 6) of what was regarded as a "best business app of 2013" .. and iOS was front and center. Why would we expect anything else. They have tablets and phones. I would say that If you know of some great BB10 business apps , do the devs a favour and give them a shout out.

Here is what Business Insider lists as their Top 50:

50 Best Business Apps - Business Insider

Given that even BB10 has very few users in the USA and that BB is going to by pass the carriers here in an attempt to sell direct to business and regulated end users , I didn't think that my statement that BB10 doesn't seem to have a lot of business apps to be very controversial. At the very least, I do not imagine it a stretch to suggest that android is probably better stocked at this time.
    01-14-14 10:30 PM
    I think you are right. I for one will look for native apps first, and even if they cost a few bucks.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 10:41 PM
    I did say informal + non scientific ... consulted some listings ( 5 or 6) of what was regarded as a "best business app of 2013" .. and iOS was front and center. Why would we expect anything else. They have tablets and phones. I would say that If you know of some great BB10 business apps , do the devs a favour and give them a shout out.

Here is what Business Insider lists as their Top 50:

50 Best Business Apps - Business Insider

A quick look at the top 50 shows this..

Available for Blackberry
    Evernote, LinkedIn, Yammer, OpenTable, StubHub, TripIt, Waze, Skype, WebEx, Expensify, Box, ePrint

Built In or supplied by Blackberry (with builtin or Blackberry supplied)
    My Secret Folder BB10 OS
    Campfire BBM
    Google Hangouts BBM
    TigerText BBM
    Silent Phone BES10
    Fantastical Calendar
    Bizzabo Calendar/Contacts
    Addappt Contacts/HUB
    FoxFi Dependant on Carrier
    Hootsuite Hub/Contacts
    LogMeIn Link (File Access)
    CardMunch Linked In/HUB/Contacts
    LastPass Password Keeper
    Audio Memos Remember
    Checkmark Remember
    Clear Remember
    Remember the Milk Remember

NOTE: To me, this shows that these apps are needed by the other OS's to make up for the lack of business focus.

Alternative apps that do the same thing.
    Car Locator
    FlightTrack

No alternative or didn't bother to look for a replacement. I bet others could find a replacement. With 10.2.1, most of the android versions would be available.

CloudOn
    LectureNotes
    Roambi Analytics
    AwardWallet
    HopStop
    Mileage Tracker
    Uber
    Zipcar
    Asana
    Google Now
    Indeed
    TheLadders
    Blue Jeans Network
    Wi-Fi Finder
    Time Recording
    Square
    Call Blocker
    Hotspot Shield
    CamScanner

So Blackberry has 31 of the top 50. The fact that 17 of them are either built in or available as a Blackberry app is telling that the other OS's need additional apps to get the same business functionality. That's why there isn't an app, an app isn't needed to accomplish the task, it is already there.
    01-14-14 11:26 PM
    Bluenoser (Halifax ??):

Thanks for looking at the list... I am not sure what you mean when you say - Built In or supplied by Blackberry (with builtin or Blackberry supplied). Thanks
    01-15-14 10:36 AM
    Bluenoser (Halifax ??):

Thanks for looking at the list... I am not sure what you mean when you say - Built In or supplied by Blackberry (with builtin or Blackberry supplied). Thanks
    Yes and "built in" means the functionality is within the OS and no app is needed to do the same thing. You don't need an app is the OS has the feature. Supplied by Blackberry is a free app that you can download from Blackberry like Password Keeper.
    01-15-14 10:45 AM
    Yes and "built in" means the functionality is within the OS and no app is needed to do the same thing. You don't need an app is the OS has the feature. Supplied by Blackberry is a free app that you can download from Blackberry like Password Keeper.
    There is a huge, glaring oversight in your "list". Namely, the apps on Blackberry that are "similar to" the 50 best business apps are not in fact the same apps, and in some cases don't even come close.

For instance, Fantastical isn't included in the list because it's the only calendar app available. It's included because it's the best one available. Just because Blackberry has a calendar app, does not mean that it is in any way comparable to the best calendar app.

Another example? There are a TON of password storing apps, but lastpass was chosen as the best. Just because Blackberry has a password storing app, does not mean that it is equivalent to the best.

Sorry, but your argument holds absolutely no water.
    ajst222 likes this.
    01-15-14 11:54 AM
    Android app stores on blackberry will take over blackberry native apps

C002C4374 HD wallpapers
    01-15-14 12:02 PM
    Android app stores on blackberry will take over blackberry native apps

C002C4374 HD wallpapers
    Here is a list of 20 Essential Apps for Ipads and Iphones - and many have Android versions. Some of these apps may not be essential but are still very "cool".

20 essential business apps for iPhone and iPad - Network World
    01-15-14 12:18 PM
    There is a huge, glaring oversight in your "list". Namely, the apps on Blackberry that are "similar to" the 50 best business apps are not in fact the same apps, and in some cases don't even come close.

For instance, Fantastical isn't included in the list because it's the only calendar app available. It's included because it's the best one available. Just because Blackberry has a calendar app, does not mean that it is in any way comparable to the best calendar app.

Another example? There are a TON of password storing apps, but lastpass was chosen as the best. Just because Blackberry has a password storing app, does not mean that it is equivalent to the best.

Sorry, but your argument holds absolutely no water.
    Who picked the top 50 apps? Since some of the functionality is built in to Blackberry, it couldn't be selected as an app anyway. Did they even look at the Blackberry apps, or did they just look at iOS and Android and if it happened to be on that platform, they added the information?

For instance, what does Fanastical do that the BB10 calendar doesn't? Another example, did they look at Password Keeper? What does LastPass do that Password Keeper does not?

Sorry, but unless you can prove that those apps are better than a BB10 equivalent, then your argument holds no water.
    01-15-14 02:40 PM
    Who picked the top 50 apps? Since some of the functionality is built in to Blackberry, it couldn't be selected as an app anyway. Did they even look at the Blackberry apps, or did they just look at iOS and Android and if it happened to be on that platform, they added the information?

For instance, what does Fanastical do that the BB10 calendar doesn't? Another example, did they look at Password Keeper? What does LastPass do that Password Keeper does not?

Sorry, but unless you can prove that those apps are better than a BB10 equivalent, then your argument holds no water.
    You're arguing that a Blackberry has a number of the apps listed on the top business apps list, yet you are saying the apps, while not he same, may perform similar functions. It doesn't matter how you twist it, Blackberry does not have the majority of those apps. The burden of proof is on you to justify your initial statement that the Blackberry apps are equivalent to the apps on the list.

Sorry. Nice try though.
    01-15-14 03:29 PM

I am not sure why he has to prove his argument (viewpoint) ... these are all just opinions . Regardless, here is another opinion . Consumers tend to want the same things that others have. Yes, the herd mentality is strong. Say that I use an iOS or an Android phone, might I check BlackBerry World to see if my favorite apps are there ? I would not be looking for maybe's or could be's. I want the apps that I want. Same with the articles that consumers read . Hey, hot new app, is it available for BB10 ?

You may be correct that the OS may make certain apps redundant but I am not sure it matters when the buying public has accepted the norm that apps are required since OS and Android offer them.
    01-15-14 03:39 PM
    You're arguing that a Blackberry has a number of the apps listed on the top business apps list, yet you are saying the apps, while not he same, may perform similar functions. It doesn't matter how you twist it, Blackberry does not have the majority of those apps. The burden of proof is on you to justify your initial statement that the Blackberry apps are equivalent to the apps on the list.

Sorry. Nice try though.
    No. I said that they are and if you look at the descriptions of the apps, they are the same as provided by BB10 and Blackberry. Prove me wrong. Can you tell me why those two apps you mentioned are better than the BB10 counterparts? I am waiting for your answer.
    01-15-14 03:49 PM
    Having cross-platforms apps is crucial. I learned that the hard way with Password Keeper. Having your data restricted to one platform can be an issue.

Take Evernote for instance. I'm a heavy user. I like that I can use it across platforms. Whatever device I'm on (of the major platforms + web) I can get to my notes.

But there is no way Password Keeper is as functional for me as Ascendo Datavault.

In multiplatform households (and a multiplatform world), cross-platform functionality trumps the stock experience the vast majority of the time, IMHO.
    01-15-14 03:49 PM
66 123